Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stop making poems, listen to my heed!
This is a shitshow that you have to read:

quote:

Monster paid about $20 million, below Nascar’s asking price of $35 million and nowhere close to the original goal of $100 million, according to television and racing-industry executives familiar with the new contract. A Nascar spokesman wouldn’t comment.

:tviv:

quote:

The siblings won’t disclose their exact ownership stakes in Nascar. Four people familiar with the matter say Mr. France sold his entire stake in the company more than a decade ago. He says he still holds equity in the family-owned company. As a result, these people say, Mr. France essentially works for his sister and uncle even though he is Nascar’s chief executive. That means he runs the sport on a day-to-day basis but is supposed to seek approval from Ms. Kennedy and their uncle for major changes.

She didn’t know ahead of time that Brian planned to announce in 2015 a ban on flying the Confederate flag at races. The announcement came right before Daytona International Speedway, owned by International Speedway, which she runs, was about to host a race. The company had to scramble to develop a policy on what to do if fans brought a Confederate flag anyway. They were offered an American flag.

quote:

Executives at NBC, part of Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal unit, raised the possibility of moving some Nascar races to the middle of the week, says Jon Miller, president of programming at NBC Sports.

That would limit the number of Sunday races that compete with NFL games for viewers, possibly boosting TV ratings but hurting attendance in person. Race fans often travel a long way and attend pre-race events that can go on for several days or longer.

quote:

In October, the siblings went to NBC Sports headquarters in Stamford, Conn. TV ratings for the Nascar season were headed for another decline. NBC executives pressed Ms. Kennedy and Mr. France to make radical changes.

They agreed to take action. In December, Nascar gathered racing-team executives, drivers, track operators and TV executives at the Wynn Las Vegas hotel. The siblings didn’t attend.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-in-victory-lane-nascar-hits-the-skids-1487686349

e-

quote:

The Daytona 500 will be the first major race under the new rules, and Nascar is working on at least a dozen more potential changes.

NASCAR 2017: NASCAR Is Working On At Least A Dozen More Potential Changes

:tif:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Throwing poo poo at the wall, to see what sticks
More changes to mock, because we're dicks
There's only one way to find the fix
Remember your core fanbase are all hicks

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

quote:

Monster paid about $20 million, below Nascar’s asking price of $35 million and nowhere close to the original goal of $100 million, according to television and racing-industry executives familiar with the new contract. A Nascar spokesman wouldn’t comment.

Thanks, that's...interesting. Are all of those numbers supposed to be per year? I remember when a team took $15-20 million to sponsor.

NASCAR 2017: This is fine.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 21, 2017

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Thanks, that's...interesting. Are all of those numbers supposed to be per year? I remember when a team took $15-20 million to sponsor.
[/quote]

I remember that like it was 2017.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is Monster's contract one year or is it more?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ummm go to Jayski. They ruined it.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

dentist toy box posted:

This is worse than any rule changes NASCAR could make

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

god

loving

dammit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Is Monster's contract one year or is it more?

The last I'd heard was that the term wasn't made public.

dentist toy box posted:

Yeah, that's awful.

quote:

Welcome to the brand new Jayski NASCAR Silly Season site!It'll take time to get used to, but in the long run, it'll be better! So enjoy!

NASCAR 2017: It'll take time to get used to, but in the long run, it'll be better! So enjoy!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I remember that like it was 2017.

The last time I saw a sponsor dollar amount was like 2005-ish, so I was assuming it had declined since the title sponsor is so low. It's even worse that the series title sponsor is worth as much as a team. Sounds like the team sponsors may be overpriced?

dentist toy box posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jayski has bewn my go-to browser check for over a decade. :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Don't worry guys, the most important Jayski page lives on:

http://www.jayski.com/home/

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

kidcoelacanth posted:

At least there is that.

This was a few pages back but, on the monster girl wardrobe, all I remember thinking was how awesome it was going to be to have to wear that in July and August when it is like 85 degrees with 90% humidity. I'm a fan of the look personally but god drat they could have made a better choice than all black. Maybe they'll change it up from race to race.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Thank God

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

kidcoelacanth posted:

quote:

Would be cool Bumper Stickers!

"Very Funny Scotty! Now beam down my clothes"
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
still the best

edit: Also I never noticed this before
http://www.jayski.com/irvan.htm

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

still the best

edit: Also I never noticed this before
http://www.jayski.com/irvan.htm

THIS IS AN UN-OFFICIAL ERNIE IRVAN SITE Updated 6-25-2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

He's a dork, but he's our dork and he made the easiest NASCAR site to read in the history of NASCAR. Just don't directly link paint schemes from his site because he doesn't like that. (It looks like most of his pages are still intact, as the team charts are still vintage Jayski.)

Thinking more about that WSJ article makes me wonder why Lesa and Jim have kept Brian around as long as they have unless there's some nepotism skewing their decision or they think firing him into the Sun would do more harm than good.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thinking more about that WSJ article makes me wonder why Lesa and Jim have kept Brian around as long as they have unless there's some nepotism skewing their decision or they think firing him into the Sun would do more harm than good.

Which sibling is going to get poisoned by women in an airport?

gently caress me, why does this Kim Jong Un metaphor keeps working?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Lol after reading that WSJ article, NASCAR deserves whatever is coming to it. The Frances are tone deaf to anything but money.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
1948, Big Bill takes credit from a group of racers, forms NASCAR to make boatloads of cash

2017, fans finally figure out that NASCAR exists only to make the France family money

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

1948, Big Bill takes credit from a group of racers, forms NASCAR to make boatloads of cash

2017, fans finally figure out that NASCAR exists only to make the France family money

I've long lamented Brian's probably going to be filthy rich even if this sinks while unemployment in the areas directly north of Charlotte increases, I just didn't realize Jim and Lesa were too loyal/horribly incompetent or apathetic to fire him as a result of his actions. How many CEOs see their revenue cut in half due in part to the their own actions but get to keep their job? Then again, I see the quote about "Our relationship has never been better as siblings", which becomes typical NASCAR propaganda when it's followed by "when times get tough, they talk through intermediaries". :tif:

It's like having faith in the captains of the ship to somehow steer through the iceberg field only to realize they're aimed straight at the biggest one and going "Come on, we'll just slice it in half! It'll be OK.".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 22, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Man its good to see that a racing series can be managed worse than f1.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Love media day.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Fifty Shades of Gallagher

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

DEMAG posted:

Love media day.

Spaerys Targallegher, the Mad Goon.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

DEMAG posted:

Love media day.

A Song of Airlines and Chicken

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

DEMAG posted:

Love media day.

"Light is .... not your friend" <moves tire stack into frame>

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've long lamented Brian's probably going to be filthy rich even if this sinks while unemployment in the areas directly north of Charlotte increases, I just didn't realize Jim and Lesa were too loyal/horribly incompetent or apathetic to fire him as a result of his actions. How many CEOs see their revenue cut in half due in part to the their own actions but get to keep their job? Then again, I see the quote about "Our relationship has never been better as siblings", which becomes typical NASCAR propaganda when it's followed by "when times get tough, they talk through intermediaries". :tif:

It's like having faith in the captains of the ship to somehow steer through the iceberg field only to realize they're aimed straight at the biggest one and going "Come on, we'll just slice it in half! It'll be OK.".

As an IndyCar fan and someone who's loved NASCAR growing up? I do wonder it BZF is worse than TG at this point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

As an IndyCar fan and someone who's loved NASCAR growing up? I do wonder it BZF is worse than TG at this point.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves Fuzzy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

DEMAG posted:

Love media day.

House Gallagher of Las Vegas
"We do not sell"

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

MC Sprangar Gillbringer layin' down some sick beatz

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

DEMAG posted:

Love media day.

Sir Galahad, Earl of Sandwiches

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

earnhardt earnhardt burning bright
oh my god he's turning right

I'm still laughing about this post.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu6fGhLwmzE

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

You're the best, Spachler Galopner. :allears:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I said this a couple years back, but I will say it again:

"Spencer Gallagher is going to be a star regardless of his skill level, solely because he has a personality and has zero ability to control it."

Example 1428.... That video.

Also he is right. The reason is Indy. It established every 90 degree change is a turn. Removing the short chute just created a situation where the 180 was split in half. Its also why they don't call the tri-oval change at Daytona a turn. Even though it is.

The only real outlier is Pocono. They don't give a gently caress.

However, if you listen to radios and hear breakdowns, you have entry/middle/end, straight away and if its a tri, d shaped or quad then they have even more breakdowns. So its basically a tv thing now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tell me more racing stories, SRA.

Unrelated, does Bowyer dip?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Jeff Gluck of jeffgluck.com

Out of all the drivers Bowyer is definitely the most likely to it. Just don't try to pull a dick trickle with a solo cup during a race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

More drivers are wanting road courses this year so they're suggesting Daytona and Indy.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/drivers-advocate-for-nascar-testing-daytona-or-indianapolis-road-courses-876128/

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Wait when did charlottte become official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

dentist toy box posted:

Wait when did charlottte become official?

I don't think that's official yet but leaning towards. They want to try more tried and proven rovals and infield road courses before trying whatever hacked together track Charlotte's road course is.

• Locked thread