Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

2house2fly posted:

The game takes place in the 2800s, which I assume to be the Engwithan version of AD.

Edit: according to an ingame book http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Iroccian_Calendar the current calendar is adapted from the Aedyran one, and the gods likely predate any of the societies in the game now, so the engwithans must be a good three thousand years ago

Somebody smarter than me should make an image with all the Eora calendars and mark the big events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm more about magic shotguns than the ingame history and lore.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought it was thousands of year ago, but I'm pulling that number straight out of my rear end.

Also the Hollowborn thing started after the War so what in the hell was Eothas invading for to begin with? Durance assumes Eothas invaded to stop Thaos but what is he stopping Thaos from? The hollowborn thing didn't start til after the war and presumably Thaos has been working to power up Woedica for a long long time. Why interfere now?

Oh i've wasted my life.

If Durance was right (and that would also be a very compelling thing to tell Eder's brother to convince him to join up) then maybe Eothas only just then found out what was going to happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought it was thousands of year ago, but I'm pulling that number straight out of my rear end.

Also the Hollowborn thing started after the War so what in the hell was Eothas invading for to begin with? Durance assumes Eothas invaded to stop Thaos but what is he stopping Thaos from? The hollowborn thing didn't start til after the war and presumably Thaos has been working to power up Woedica for a long long time. Why interfere now?

Oh i've wasted my life.

My personal headcanon is that Thaos had spent a few hundred years repairing engwithans machinery first, but Eothas didn't notice till he turned them on or w/e the engwithans equivalent to turning the key in the ignition was.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like they need $100,000 more in six and a half hours for the talking weapons

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

I was thinking about getting the DLC add-on, but then I remembered Fergus saying they might not do another full expansion like the White March, so who knows what I'd even get... :confused:

I'll be sad if we don't get good expansions. The ship / islands structure is just so perfectly suited to it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh poo poo, I just realized a talking gun would ruin the best Dirty Harry quote: He'd just TELL you how many shots he fired.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

evilmiera posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized a talking gun would ruin the best Dirty Harry quote: He'd just TELL you how many shots he fired.

I imagine a talking gun/ammo situation to look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIfrujsHfA&t=69s

Edit: Couldn't find an english language version :shrug:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm more about magic shotguns than the ingame history and lore.

Talking magic blunderbuss.
"Arrr, gonna blast me load everywhere." etc.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SgtSteel91 posted:

Looks like they need $100,000 more in six and a half hours for the talking weapons

They've hit it. They've got that much banked in Fig funds.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also, I just realized how much I want one of the characters to be a ridiculously stereotypical pirate shark-man. The shark-people are the best part of PoE.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

4.5 mil stretch goal announced: Ship Crews

quote:

Ships alone are pretty awesome, of course, and customizing your ship is even more awesome -- but what about being able to hire and manage the crew of your ship? For the $4.5 million stretch goal, we are introducing just that! Find, hire, and manage a crew for your ship. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. Crew members can gain experience and improve at their roles over time. The crew's skills will improve how effective your ship is in combat situations, and the crew can be assigned to defend your ship in the case that you get boarded by a hostile force. If your crew's morale isn't maintained, their effectiveness will go down, and, if you are a truly terrible captain to them, mutiny can even occur. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

^^^^^^boooooooooooooooooooooooo

The 4.5 mil stretch goal is up: hiring a crew for your ship.

quote:

Ships alone are pretty awesome, of course, and customizing your ship is even more awesome -- but what about being able to hire and manage the crew of your ship? For the $4.5 million stretch goal, we are introducing just that! Find, hire, and manage a crew for your ship. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. Crew members can gain experience and improve at their roles over time. The crew's skills will improve how effective your ship is in combat situations, and the crew can be assigned to defend your ship in the case that you get boarded by a hostile force. If your crew's morale isn't maintained, their effectiveness will go down, and, if you are a truly terrible captain to them, mutiny can even occur. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I am a fan of mutiny. Leave me on a desert island.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ship's about to get real!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

^^^^^^boooooooooooooooooooooooo
I stole your booty :yarr:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ship's about to get real!

don't make me deck you

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trebuchet King posted:

don't make me deck you

I'll just keep you at yaaaaaaaaaaarm's length

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Litany Unheard posted:

The 4.5 mil stretch goal is up: hiring a crew for your ship.

We better raise that money or... or... uh... we'll be "ship outta luck."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yawl need to stop with the ship puns.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It kinda bothers me that "ship crew" wasn't already part of the deal, considering that caed nua has you building a barracks and hiring on dudes to defend your poo poo in the event of trouble. Oh well. If we manage to hit it, we should be able to get Korgrak on the ship if we hired him in PoE.

No I mean a legitimately selfish character that does not give a single solitary gently caress about you and was manipulating you all along, not someone that you can win over with ~the power of love~ or some poo poo. I want them to be actual bad news, not Waifu Bait: Hard Mode. I cannot think of a single game or story that's had a character like that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AfricanBootyShine posted:

We better raise that money or... or... uh... we'll be "ship outta luck."

This news has me at full mast

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Power Bottom posted:

It kinda bothers me that "ship crew" wasn't already part of the deal, considering that caed nua has you building a barracks and hiring on dudes to defend your poo poo in the event of trouble. Oh well. If we manage to hit it, we should be able to get Korgrak on the ship if we hired him in PoE.

No I mean a legitimately selfish character that does not give a single solitary gently caress about you and was manipulating you all along, not someone that you can win over with ~the power of love~ or some poo poo. I want them to be actual bad news, not Waifu Bait: Hard Mode. I cannot think of a single game or story that's had a character like that.

Making the ship crew interesting is more pricey. What did those hirelings do for you? Basically nothing, and they get gibbed immediately in a lot of the attacks on your keep.

What they're promising here sounds like it has a LOT more depth to it.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

There is this thing called willpower my dude. If playing in a certain way makes it less fun, maybe don't play that way? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have too.

the next time you feel compelled to complain about relationships in the game, think on this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Power Bottom posted:

In Star Wars: The Old Republic I remember there was a self-absorbed hyper-nerd dude with a hologram girlfriend who would dump a Jedi Consular player after a one-night stand because said hologram would get mad, that was pretty funny.

And I'll assume that all the stuff like crew and ship options are mostly going to be shallow, fun little customization blips rather than some deep naval simulator stuff. Picking who to hire for your stronghold didn't really matter much, but it was still fun to decide who you wanted around for flavor reasons. If the ship options end up just being your choice of colours and flags and three different ship models that sounds like plenty for the price.

Anyway, they'll probably make it to the talking weapon, but crew and the eight companion are probably out unless they get generous with the "slacker" terms. I have a hunch that almost all of the stretch goals are things they'd already planned to do and were confident they'd pick up enough funding for, rather than making risky "wouldn't it be cool if we could afford X?" goals, so maybe they'll be willing to round up a bit. No great loss if they don't though, there's plenty of good features that've already made it in.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
PayPal is going to be available as a payment option soon.

While the campaign is still running, apparently.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I would imagine that if Ydwin doesn't make it in as the eighth companion for the base game, she'll be a full companion in the DLC.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd imagine making a full companion out of a character who was present in the base game is more trouble than it's worth. It would basically lock out a lot of content for people who'd completed the base game and have a save waiting for the DLC, which would be most people.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Litany Unheard posted:

Making the ship crew interesting is more pricey. What did those hirelings do for you? Basically nothing, and they get gibbed immediately in a lot of the attacks on your keep.

What they're promising here sounds like it has a LOT more depth to it.
Yeah. People didn't really dig the Pillars stronghold hirelings. We want to do something more significant with crews.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

rope kid posted:

Yeah. People didn't really dig the Pillars stronghold hirelings. We want to do something more significant with crews.

I guess the important question is whether or not I can hire Korgrak to man the rudder.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
This may not be possible, but I'd like boarding fights to sometimes happen across the bow or stern, and not just always two ships lined up right next to each other

A Nelson's Bridge event is probably too much to ask for though

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

4.75 mil stretch goal: make pets recruitable crew members.

Yaarrf

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ If souls can end up in different kinds of animals after they die then an Awakened Dog with a soul that was previously a powerful person would actually make for a funny character. Or the inverse I guess, some important person whose soul Awakens to their past life as a dog and who has to try and balance the two.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd imagine making a full companion out of a character who was present in the base game is more trouble than it's worth. It would basically lock out a lot of content for people who'd completed the base game and have a save waiting for the DLC, which would be most people.

Yeah, of all the stretch goals she seems the easiest to cut because she's already in as a sidekick, it's just a matter of not going the extra mile with dialogue and a sidequest and so on. Genuine additions like a crew system are probably a bigger question.

I'd assumed that even without the crew stretch goal we'd have some NPCs wandering around the ship picking at the rigging for ambiance, sort of like how the Normandy of Mass Effect has plenty of marines and technicians walking around.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dolash posted:

I'd assumed that even without the crew stretch goal we'd have some NPCs wandering around the ship picking at the rigging for ambiance, sort of like how the Normandy of Mass Effect has plenty of marines and technicians walking around.
I'd still assume that to be the case. Simply because putting some generic dudes with a simple AI/patrol pattern and one or two barks on the ship should take very little effort.

Either way I can't see that stretch goal not being reached.

e:

rope kid posted:

I still was insanely protective of my archer and her lion and would reload battles when they died.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Litany Unheard posted:

I guess the important question is whether or not I can hire Korgrak to man the rudder.

Hah, actually. . . Yeah.

I was hoping one of the sidekicks would be a talking dog.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Will Vicious War Criminal be available to hire as a crewmate?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Reddit AMA is up: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5vzou1/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_purveyors_of_fine/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hoping it gets to 4.5 because i want a full goddamn crew. i will be legit shocked if it reaches 5mil but i enjoy being surprised. how many more areas are left in fulvanos voyage? i seem to recall it hitting all floors of endless paths long before this point the last time, i think.

also anyone know who the other forum/group have the backer island thing? i know neogaf funded there's a bit ago but no clue who the other ones are (are there only 2?)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Live stream ongoing here until the campaign's over: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

4.25 mil and talking weapons achieved! (No surprise)

• Locked thread