Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

His ship maintained a constant acceleration over 4g's for several weeks. 4g's means he weighs 4 times what he does on Earth and since he was Martian born he was already used to a lower gravity so he wasn't able to move.

The show scene had it increasingly accelerating beyond 10g and somehow he stayed conscious through all that which was a bit dumb.

Between that and the space opera trope of disabled stuff like the shot up stations immediately falling out of orbit (and their debris gently pattering to the surface) the 'realistic sci-fi' was slipping a bit on the production side this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

darnon posted:

Between that and the space opera trope of disabled stuff like the shot up stations immediately falling out of orbit (and their debris gently pattering to the surface) the 'realistic sci-fi' was slipping a bit on the production side this episode.

Those are solar concentrators for the greenhouses. I forget exactly how they’re described, but I think they’re not actually in orbit. They’re anchored to Ganymede or actively maintained.

e: Okay, they’re described as “orbital mirrors”. Maybe I’m misremembering. Now that I think about it, one of the mirrors was deliberately and suddenly de‐orbited by Bad Guys and the rest got holes in them. (detail I expect we’ll learn soon in the show).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 2, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Justin Credible posted:

Show continues to be great, but I felt nothing about that ending in terms of those characters. Could have just introduced Bobbie, given her room to breathe and let the other ones be Communist Marine mooks ala Lopez and the Donnager Marines for all the emotional impact it had. That's a very minor complaint though to how overall great it is getting some very solid near-future hard sci-fi. loving love it.

Yeah, I was really hoping that'd have been a longer sequence. I am hoping that the scene gets revisited and we get to see what actually happened. As it was presented you don't really get any impact from it, and I don't just mean in compared to the book, there just wasn't really anything there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It could have worked if they hadn't cut having everyone dying on-screen to maintain the suspense about the blue men. I've loved season 2 so far but the Martian marine stuff really stands out as a completely pointless b-plot. Nothing but Bobby actually matters and even the captain was just unceremoniously killed off without any real stakes to it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They could have definitely cut a bunch of Bobby scenes throughout the season and given her half an episode to go through some bonding and then the Ganymede scene. I'm interested to see how fast they accelerate her from this point on though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t like how Bobby’s squad died thinking the UN Marines were the enemy. :smith:

In the book, they saw the UN Marines running from the monster and fought valiantly (but hopelessly) together against it.

St. Josephus Miller

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 2, 2017

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

I don’t like how Bobby’s squad died thinking the UN Marines were the enemy. :smith:

In the book, they saw the UN Marines running from the monster and fought valiantly (but hopelessly) together against it.

St. Josephus Miller

It was never really stated after the 'they are charging us' but you could see the UN guys running and shooting at whatever was chasing them.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Platystemon posted:

They might show it in the next episode with Bobby getting flashbacks of the fight, who knows?

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 2, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

That's not at all what the events before the cut in the episode indicated though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OB_Juan posted:

I'd guess Traveller or d20 modern. Maybe a no-magic Shadowrun?

I suspect 2300AD because it shares a lot of similarities like a super efficient engine mixed with hard sci fi

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just learned this is a 13 episode season

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Platystemon posted:

Pretty sure we're going to get the whole incident via Bobby's suit playback.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MiddleOne posted:

That's not at all what the events before the cut in the episode indicated though.

What cut? Here’s the timeline.

First they see this:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EmbarrassedLeadingHyracotherium.mp4

If you look carefully, you can see a being that is not a UN Marine. The HUD helpfully puts a red arrow over it. There are six UN Marines and one ???.

They probably don’t notice in the heat of things. They certainly don’t say anything about it.

Ships in orbit begin firing.

Bobbie and her second have the following conversation with their helmets pressed together:

quote:

“They are engaging in orbit.”

“Who fired?”

“Not our problem.”

“Spread out. Make a line. Free‐fire five hundred metres.”

“Five hundred metres? We don’t have permission to engage!”

“If they cross that line, you’ll fire. Do you understand, marine?”

“Aye aye, gunny.”

She gives arm signals to the others that I assume communicate her orders to the rest.

Here is the entirely of the scene that follows the arm signals: https://gfycat.com/SphericalEvilAntelope

The monster is clearer to us, true, but in universe: No one says anything. No one zooms in on the figures in the distance. No one changes expression. No one reacts at all.

The next time we see them, they’re dead.

e: Okay, there was perhaps one hint: the suit’s autocannon winding down.

squidgee posted:

Pretty sure we're going to get the whole incident via Bobby's suit playback.

This would be a dirty editing trick, but it’s possible. I would at least like to have seen a look of realisation come across each of their faces in this episode. Really, this episode should have had that, then cut. No bodies.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 2, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Some of you are spoiling poo poo with book info the show obviously wants to reveal later helmet cam footage of the attack

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

Some of you are spoiling poo poo with book info the show obviously wants to reveal later helmet cam footage of the attack

I thought that was the end of the incident.

What did I spoil? That the marines fought the monster? Certainly not its existence or their deaths.

I edited my original post. Go ahead and edit your quotes if you want, y’all.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

MiddleOne posted:

It could have worked if they hadn't cut having everyone dying on-screen to maintain the suspense about the blue men. I've loved season 2 so far but the Martian marine stuff really stands out as a completely pointless b-plot. Nothing but Bobby actually matters and even the captain was just unceremoniously killed off without any real stakes to it.

What makes you think the captain was killed off?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He got shot in the back and slumped over his desk?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He got shot in the back and slumped over his desk?

He got shot in the front, but it’s over in three frames.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Had no idea that was the lead singer of the Headstones.

Ep had some good scenes (Avasarala's threat was a standout) but some pacing issues. And yeah, the ending was a real blue balls thing. Bad time to skimp on the budget. :smith:

More importantly NAOMI NO WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VagueRant posted:

(Avasarala's threat was a standout)

Hell yes. I'm like "THERE'S that knife-fighting, kick 'em in the balls politician I was waiting for"

VagueRant posted:

And yeah, the ending was a real blue balls thing. Bad time to skimp on the budget. :smith:
The ending wasn't a budget thing. There's a real narrative reason we experienced it that way from Bobbie's persepctive.
(even though that's not a spoiler per se, I don't want to hear "just you saying it like that is spoiler in itself. Wah.")

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

He got shot in the front, but it’s over in three frames.

What the gently caress. Were we supposed to notice this? The ending of this episode was so confusing, so much garbage budget cuts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was pretty obvious to me when his chest exploded and he fell over dead?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Mao's toady, the one that Avasarala gave that great "rain hellfire" speech to: What is his job? He's a UN bureaucrat of sort, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got really pumped by her threatening rant about the parasites in the private sector and how corporations need to know their loving place and government has the ultimate power. God I wish more politicians and civil servants had that sense of duty and actual loyalty to their office, not just as a stepping stone for a cushy private sector job when they retire from public service.

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?

I found the whole scenes really confusing, fast cuts and just lots of bullets arcing through space but everything was such short cuts I could never see what was going on or appreciate the situation.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This show is going downhill a bit. Sacrificing story for budget and attempts to set up M. Night Shyamalan twists. Please just give me the details I need to understand the story.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

ToadStyle posted:

Mao's toady, the one that Avasarala gave that great "rain hellfire" speech to: What is his job? He's a UN bureaucrat of sort, right?

My understanding (I could double-check but :effort:) is that, technically, he's basically her superior. He's undersecretary, she's deputy undersecretary. (you might remember that line in the very first episode about her being unelected and "two heartbeats from leading this planet". So that would be the big boss, followed by Errinwright, followed by her).

Edit: Also worth mentioning, when Earth launches missiles, it's Errinwright who inserts the second key.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 2, 2017

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

ToadStyle posted:

Undersecretary of Executive Administration. Avasarala is deputy, so hes her boss.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms??

They're not. The orbital mirrors were caught in the crossfire between the USN and MCRN.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SyFy effects.PNG

:monocle:

The bombs are coming FROM INSIDE THE SHIP!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?

Considering that it was an attack on a purely symbolic target I would assume as much. I mean their MO has pretty much just been repeated false flag attacks. I'm not really sure how the blue men play into it though as any witness of them would make it clear there's something more going on.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Platystemon posted:

This would be a dirty editing trick, but it’s possible. I would at least like to have seen a look of realisation come across each of their faces in this episode. Really, this episode should have had that, then cut. No bodies.

Not really, it's a plot point in the book how everyone thinks she's crazy re: the protomolecule monster because her armor cam footage is static. But her suit is an old model because she's massive in the books (like 6'3" and 250lbs of muscle or something wild), and uses a different codec than the newer models. When she remembers that they fix the playback, cue Ganymede scene. So setting it up this way in the show makes sense.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 2, 2017

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Oh okay, I had it flipped around. I thought she was above him on the UN totem pole. Knowing that, his reaction makes a lot more sense. His actor does a good job of conveying indignation overshadowed by surprise.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

The big things in orbit are solar reflectors, the farms are on the surface.

I don't think they were shooting at them deliberately, they were just getting caught in the crossfire.

Earth and Mars now have about a million years of bad luck each. :ohdear:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, Ganymede's surface was collateral damage because the mirror was damaged by the attack and deorbiting.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

I got really pumped by her threatening rant about the parasites in the private sector and how corporations need to know their loving place and government has the ultimate power. God I wish more politicians and civil servants had that sense of duty and actual loyalty to their office, not just as a stepping stone for a cushy private sector job when they retire from public service.

I found the whole scenes really confusing, fast cuts and just lots of bullets arcing through space but everything was such short cuts I could never see what was going on or appreciate the situation.

And that outfit though. We need a gif of all Avasarala outfits

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

tooterfish posted:

The big things in orbit are solar reflectors, the farms are on the surface.

I don't think they were shooting at them deliberately, they were just getting caught in the crossfire.

Earth and Mars now have about a million years of bad luck each. :ohdear:

I think Nemesis Games falls within the standard seven year statute of limitations, so let's just say a lot of concentrated and thematically appropriate for making a broken mirror fall out of the sky bad luck. :smith:

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Their family will be ruined.

“Their mother, their children, their children: all of them—pariahs, outlaws—hunted and on the run for the rest of their days until we find them and nail each and every last one to the wall.”

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Holy poo poo Shohreh Aghdashloo nailed it this last episode.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reminded me of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UceGF3M56bE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

flosofl posted:

The ending wasn't a budget thing. There's a real narrative reason we experienced it that way from Bobbie's persepctive.
(even though that's not a spoiler per se, I don't want to hear "just you saying it like that is spoiler in itself. Wah.")
I know about BOOK 2 SPOILERS the footage, but that doesn't guarantee we'll see it, or see much of it. I know it's an obvious possibility, but it's also possible they did this because they just had to cut it. :smith:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What the gently caress. Were we supposed to notice this? The ending of this episode was so confusing, so much garbage budget cuts.
I saw him get shot? (Though I thought back, not front.) I'm assuming that was just the same random minigun fire that shredded the not-satellite things just punching through their ship, rather than, like, a strike team on board or anything.

That one made more sense than the random gouts of sparks that threw crew members off their seats like something out of '60s Star Trek...

• Locked thread