Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

You need to recharge the Mako-ng's life support? Meh.

It's be shocked if the Mako-like's life support doesn't have a fairly long range. At a guess, they're going to use it as a way to keep you tethered to the map so you can't go driving off into infinity. That way they don't have to put giant cliffs around every zone to keep you penned inside the play area.

You know, like those electric fence thingies you can get for dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe there will be an upgrade that negates damage to the Mako from hostile enviornnents?

Serf
May 5, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Only one certain super hostile planets, but yeah, I think I would prefer if the Nomad was safe from that stuff. Maybe it has enough protection it doesn't matter or doesn't come up much, not unlike lava on... was it Feros?

Well, that will be the first essential mod I guess.

Also that video was pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the planet full of krogan, the best species.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Joke's on you, I'm actually looking forward to be able to play as a short uncool goober that nobody likes because I find that to be much more immersive than playing as somebody who is cool and attractive :smug:

except I unironically think that would be interesting if it was done right. Maybe not a completely unlikeable character but somebody who isn't a cookie cutter mary sue hero and who isn't being fawned over as the plot's centre of attention

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

You can change them from the default, but you lose the Scott/Sara if you do and everyone just calls you Ryder or Pathfinder.

It's a neat little touch for folks who don't mind the default names.

Oh word? I hadn't heard that. That's pretty neat. I was just assuming it was the same as it always was (and misreading the question!)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It's be shocked if the Mako-like's life support doesn't have a fairly long range. At a guess, they're going to use it as a way to keep you tethered to the map so you can't go driving off into infinity. That way they don't have to put giant cliffs around every zone to keep you penned inside the play area.

You know, like those electric fence thingies you can get for dogs.

I imagine that not every planet has a hostile environment that requires a timer, just a few.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Scott Ryder looks like Ben Affleck in Gigli

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I never realized that I wanted the Asari Matriarchs to look like Shrek.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think I like the styling of the not-Mako, but because I'm sperg, it annoys me to have yet another scifi vehicle that opens directly to the environment and doesn't have any airlocks.

Edit: It would also be cooler if they just went full on into the territory of those air-only forcefields in Star Wars and Star Trek, and designed vehicles/spaceships that used them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Very Good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Roadie posted:

I think I like the styling of the not-Mako, but because I'm sperg, it annoys me to have yet another scifi vehicle that opens directly to the environment and doesn't have any airlocks.

Well, for one, it sounds like you're only going to worlds that are meant to support life in the first place. And two: the airlock for that vehicle would be as big as the vehicle itself, probably easier to do like they did in the Martian, just re-pressurize the crew cabin with oxygen when necessary.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, a separate airlock on something that small wouldn't make much sense, even in a vacuum.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh gee, I saw that exploration video. You need to recharge the Mako-ng's life support? Meh.

It looks like you have a personal meter and a Nomad meter, and the Nomad meter seems like it's bigger/last longer than your character's. That way you can explore on foot, jump in the Nomad to recharge, but not indefinitely as the Nomad wears out.

Just speculation based on the different meter values shown in that video though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I don't have an issue with the Nomad being affected by climate conditions too, at least the hazardous planets may actually feel like a threat. It was utterly pointless having them in the first game when even a level 2 one's timer was long enough that you just had to drive around in the invulnerable Mako, pop out for thirty seconds to murder/hack/ransack and drive off again to reset the timer.

Infiltrator lore sperge question: how the hell is a puny wimp like Scotty capable of handling a Widow? It only because Shep was Terminator'd up the wazoo that they could fire the drat thing without breaking their arm, this scrawny putz should snap clean in half.

:colbert:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Roadie posted:

Edit: It would also be cooler if they just went full on into the territory of those air-only forcefields in Star Wars and Star Trek, and designed vehicles/spaceships that used them.

I'm pretty sure the ME universe has those anyway, the cargo bay in gets a few holes punched in it at the end of ME2 and people have no trouble breathing. I'm pretty sure they even have forcefields over them in the ending cutscene.

It's pretty weird that you only ever see forcefields like twice in the whole trilogy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sentinel Red posted:

Infiltrator lore sperge question: how the hell is a puny wimp like Scotty capable of handling a Widow? It only because Shep was Terminator'd up the wazoo that they could fire the drat thing without breaking their arm, this scrawny putz should snap clean in half.

:colbert:

It's the Widow's alternate version for weaker users, the Widdle

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

The Ryder's probably have their share of genetic modification. Maybe not up to the spec of someone like Shepard, but I'm sure Scott is cleared to use the big-boy guns.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

how does the krogan fit into the mako

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Honestly I think I just want to play as Rydad instead of the Ryder siblings.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Deakul posted:

how does the krogan fit into the mako

Ride on top?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly I think I just want to play as Rydad instead of the Ryder siblings.

The insecurity twins don't look like the best protagonists ever, but Dad Ryder looks like a parody of the same grizzled space marine that's been run into the dirt by every sci-fi franchise of the last twenty years. I don't mind a break from that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure one of the main aspects of the story is the one Ryder twin growing into a badass super commando like Shepard and DadRyder

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

The insecurity twins don't look like the best protagonists ever, but Dad Ryder looks like a parody of the same grizzled space marine that's been run into the dirt by every sci-fi franchise of the last twenty years. I don't mind a break from that.

I doubt Bioware has the restraint to portray the Ryders as green 22 year olds instead of hypercompetent operatives on the level of Shepard.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I do not want to be babby Ryder

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this isn't new information but having it laid out in the video makes me wonder if our supposed ancient space civ only went kaput during the 600 years it took to get there

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the main aspects of the story is the one Ryder twin growing into a badass super commando like Shepard and DadRyder

AngryBooch posted:

I doubt Bioware has the restraint to portray the Ryders as green 22 year olds instead of hypercompetent operatives on the level of Shepard.

Hey, the game isn't even out yet! At least let me dream about something so ambitious as an actual arc for the main character.

There might even be a mission where something bad happens, and it's *gasp* our fault!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skippy McPants posted:

At the same time though, playing as a grizzled old fart trying to understand this newfangled bullshit and still having a deep distrust of aliens from the first contact war that everyone forgot about while also keeping their idiot children from killing themselves sounds fun to me.

quote:

I guess for me part of why I liked Shepard or Geralt so much was because you already start at the level of "competent and seasoned". I mean I'm sure it'll be fine, I just like how he looks more.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, love this game, so looking forward to the MP beta, when is it

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nerdz posted:

canceled

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad I bought ME3 again for five bucks to scratch that itch.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

March 10-12

But you have to at Pax East

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Pattonesque posted:

It's the Widow's alternate version for weaker users, the Widdle
This is actually really the case. Well, not the name, but the toned down bit.
It's mentioned in the weapons briefing. I think you have to pause and click the pop-up thing.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

Veotax posted:

I'm pretty sure the ME universe has those anyway, the cargo bay in gets a few holes punched in it at the end of ME2 and people have no trouble breathing. I'm pretty sure they even have forcefields over them in the ending cutscene.

It's pretty weird that you only ever see forcefields like twice in the whole trilogy.

You see those forcefield doodads whenever the Normandy docks in the Citadel, Feros, etc. Think it's the same throughout the series. I'm playing the first ME at the moment and when I saw it I was like, "wait so are the air molecules moving as fast as bullets? how's this work?" and then realized I may have smoked a bit too much if I was questioning a sci-fi game's space magic

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Medlar posted:

You see those forcefield doodads whenever the Normandy docks in the Citadel, Feros, etc. Think it's the same throughout the series. I'm playing the first ME at the moment and when I saw it I was like, "wait so are the air molecules moving as fast as bullets? how's this work?" and then realized I may have smoked a bit too much if I was questioning a sci-fi game's space magic

Oh yeah, forgot about those. Thinking about it now there are more than I remember, the Geth put one up on Ferros and there is one on Ilos.

EDIT: Maybe your shields too? Or are those more just redirecting projectiles?

The more I type about it the more I realise that I'm probably talking out of my rear end.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I distinctly remember Bioware saying they want Mass Effect protagonists to be humans, but if that's the case, then why is Ryder quite clearly a Dwarf?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I distinctly remember Bioware saying they want Mass Effect protagonists to be humans, but if that's the case, then why is Ryder quite clearly a Dwarf?

Maybe one of the leads wants to get their dorf romance on, now that David Gaider isn't around anymore to kibosh their stumpy plans.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Clancy Brown?

WE MADE IT. is a really cheesy and uncreative first line.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 3, 2017

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess for me part of why I liked Shepard or Geralt so much was because you already start at the level of "competent and seasoned". I mean I'm sure it'll be fine, I just like how he looks more.

Which makes a lot of the stuff you are trying to pull more in-tune with the character archetype they are going. As one poster said before, it would be really interesting if Bioware could actually capitalize on the protagonists inexperience not just in the practical matters of the mission, but at life. A sci-fi coming-of-age exploration/rpg game has a lot of awesome avenues of development and a waterfall of interesting stuff to work with, which would be Cool and Good.

But being Bioware, expect thousands of in-jokes, a tumblresque "lolrandom" character, ryderkids being Mary Sue characters with miraculous competence and tremendous amounts of hilarious cringe, such as, for example, when the DA:I cast breaks into song after an obvious Act I reversal of fortune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

(Dragon Age should have been planned as a musical from the get-go)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Transmetropolitan posted:

But being Bioware, expect thousands of in-jokes, a tumblresque "lolrandom" character, ryderkids being Mary Sue characters with miraculous competence and tremendous amounts of hilarious cringe, such as, for example, when the DA:I cast breaks into song after an obvious Act I reversal of fortune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

the song owned though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Transmetropolitan posted:

Oh my God Galavant Age would have ruled.