Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Zeldas good. 1-2 Switch has my partner playing (good.) Snipperclips for after baby goes to bed. Thought Shovel Knight was free if you had the Wii U version. Had a not insignificant amount of left joycon drops in Zelda. The Nintendo Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

squidgee posted:

That's a lot of amiibos.

Which uh...what do amiibos do? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube.

For me, I just collect the Zelda ones as shelf candy/statues ($12 amiibo is cheaper than some of those $50-200 collectors statues). They also aid in the game. The Wolf Link amiibo from Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) gives you a wolf hunting companion. Some other Zelda amiibo will drop barrels of fish or other items for you in the game (limited to once a day I think). I can't remember what all of the newer ones do yet.

In other games, Amiibo's in general had various functions. In Smash Bros you could use them to train up a computer/AI fighter (not the one you controlled though). In Mario Kart, they give you outfits for your Mii character when racing. Mario Maker lets you add in items to your levels that will transform mario into 8-bit Link or into a giant 8-bit Mario that crashes through the level. Shovel Knight Amiibo did something in the Shovel Knight ports, I forgot what. Other games do other things.

Again, I just collect Zelda ones for my shelves. Same with Shovel Knight. And I have an 8-bit Mario for use with Mario Maker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can't seem to find a pro controller anywhere in austin goddamn

I think every store in my area sold out of them. I checked a bunch and no one had any non preorders.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I wonder why the left JoyCon drops vary so heavily between people. Some getting nothing, some getting quite a bit. Nintendo better get a fix out ASAP.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

VideoGames posted:

My switch is in a box in my bag and I am just packing up to go home from work before I take it over to Lady Videogames later.

It is a really good and informative OP. Also, I only change thread titles when threads start posting really, really badly. Hopefully this one will not suffer like the last two.

I'm glad my OP has the VideoGames Stamp of Approval

I got my Switch all set up! It'll take a bit to download the update, but it looks and feels incredibly nice. Looking forward to popping in Zelda soon!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

InFlames235 posted:

I wonder why the left JoyCon drops vary so heavily between people. Some getting nothing, some getting quite a bit. Nintendo better get a fix out ASAP.

It's about your comfy gaming position. Holding the controller wrong, resting the controller on your legs while they're raised, sitting a reasonable distance away from a big screen TV with a table between the couch and system.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I only have the Amazon preorder.

Yeah mine is the same way. I mean I'm sure it will arrive before 8 or whatever but still.

A good friend I used to work with is going to buy it whenever it gets delivered.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're NFC enabled figurines and some games use them. Here's how they work in BOTW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_vf2hPo0JM

Oh so I didn't know that non botw ones did stuff too...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This is going to sound like a dumb question. I got my switch & zelda, but haven't unboxed anything yet. The SD card I ordered doesn't come in till tomorrow. Is it the the actual game install itself or the save files that go on the SD card? If I play Zelda will I be able to transfer my save over to my SD card tomorrow? Is there any reason I shouldn't start playing tonight with this situation?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Your TV's wifi is messing up bluetooth, assuming this is what's doing it, because they're both in the same 2.4Ghz range with your microwave and all of it stomps on each other. I had an issue with my work laptop's connection turning to crap if I put my wifi enabled cell phone too close it it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Megasabin posted:

This is going to sound like a dumb question. I got my switch & zelda, but haven't unboxed anything yet. The SD card I ordered doesn't come in till tomorrow. Is it the the actual game install itself or the save files that go on the SD card? If I play Zelda will I be able to transfer my save over to my SD card tomorrow? Is there any reason I shouldn't start playing tonight with this situation?

Play immediately. Carts have 0 reason to install to the system since it's just as fast. All hail our glorious cart er future.

Patches do go into the system but that's where they're going either way so play play play.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
UPS dropped off my Pro Controller and I had a chance to try Zelda with it.

If you can't find one right now, I don't think it's a big deal. I think I might even prefer the Joy Cons in the grip. Don't get me wrong, the Pro Controller is good... but I only bought it because a lot of initial impressions of Zelda implied that the Pro Controller is basically required to enjoy it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I only have the Amazon preorder.

Better deal than me.

I'm in a same day delivery city too.

Also why the gently caress am I buying this

edit: I'm not buying this. Cancelled

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 4, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LethalGeek posted:

Your TV's wifi is messing up bluetooth, assuming this is what's doing it, because they're both in the same 2.4Ghz range with your microwave and all of it stomps on each other. I had an issue with my work laptop's connection turning to crap if I put my wifi enabled cell phone too close it it.

This is a thing. If anyone uses 2.4Ghz wifi, it's going to interfere with bluetooth.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Lol at nintendos response on the joypad issues.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22513/p/897

"Turn everything off electronic in the house. Including aquariums (lol they seriously said that) and you should have a fantastic experience when three or four feet away from the dock!"

You aren't getting a software update.

Holy poo poo.

Firing up Wii U Zelda :)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 4, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You say some funky stuff, Utnayan.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Wendell posted:

You say some funky stuff, Utnayan.

Hey Nintendo said keep your switch away from aquariums. Not me. Seriously click that link.

quote:

Ensure that the Nintendo Switch console is placed to minimize interference with the Joy-Con. It is best if the Nintendo Switch console is placed out in the open and that it is not:
Behind a TV
Near an aquarium
Placed in or under a metal object
Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.

As a side note , Zelda runs and looks great on my Wii U!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

Played Zelda
Finished Tutorial area
Went in a random direction
SKELETONS ON HORSES CHASING A VILLAGER
TRY USING MY WEAPONS BUT THEY ARE WEAK WEAPONS
TRY RUNNING AND FINDING A HORSE
HORSE ISN'T TAMED I CAN'T CONTROL IT
SKELETON ON HORSE KILLS ME IN ONE HIT

welcome to dark souls.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Has anyone purchased Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japanese eShop? If so does it have the option to swap to English?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I've just clock about 8 hours into Zelda with only a small break to buy a pro controller (worth it) and eat something. Bed time now.

This game is unreal. Took around 4-5 hours just exploring the plateau and mastering the basics and then the main quest tells you to go to place A kakariko village, but I saw some other tower off in the distance with a big rear end bridge leading up to it so I was like.. naahh, forget the main quest

..and ran off into Lake Hylia or something

Queue getting killed a dozen times over by lizardpeople and moblins on steroids and on horseback, but finding 2 shrines where one gave me a Nano sword and nano shield and a boomerang. And the cool part is you can try again and again, use tons of different approaches to kill baddies. Full frontal attack doesn't work? How about you sneak in from behind or throw some bombs off a cliff and then sword-jump down while they're stunned from the blast.

The only gripe I have is that weapons perish too quickly. Like after killing 3 enemies quickly. And that the world seems almost too big. Like I am now in the second area after the starting Plateau and it's bonkers. There's a giant lake, beaches, mountains, forests, smaller lakes, settlements.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Feenix posted:

Still disappointing, but I mean... I figure they HAVE to address it, right? What's Nintendo's general reputation on things like this?

I mean: You release a BRAND new console, and you hinge the entirety of its being on this Portable/Home Console duality. Your first flagship launch game is stellar, except it cannot handle well the very thing the console excels at.

You GOTTA do something about that, right? Or people will start thinking; " Oh hey, this mobile handheld thing that connects to a TV kinda sucks when connected to a TV."

I mean... right?
lol @ this post

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Am I just dumb? I've literally noticed no slowdown playing while docked after the tutorial area. I mean, it sucks that the tutorial area has noticeable slowdown in some of the grassier patches, but it doesn't interfere with playing. And it isn't even the whole plateau. I would say 90% of the time on the plateau I had no slowdown and 100% no slowdown afterwards.

Also, considering the Wii U version has the same slow down issue, I think the problem is the game optimization, not the console.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Utnayan posted:

"Turn everything off electronic in the house. Including aquariums (lol they seriously said that) and you should have a fantastic experience when three or four feet away from the dock!"

Nintendo posted:

In most cases it will be enough to move these devices three to four feet away from the Nintendo Switch console and/or Joy-Con controllers

Utnayan posted:

You aren't getting a software update.

Nintendo posted:

Ensure your console has the latest system update.

Your reading comprehension skills are bad.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I noticed a stutter or two on the plateau during my first hour of play but after that no issues.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Anidav posted:

Played Zelda
Finished Tutorial area
Went in a random direction
SKELETONS ON HORSES CHASING A VILLAGER
TRY USING MY WEAPONS BUT THEY ARE WEAK WEAPONS
TRY RUNNING AND FINDING A HORSE
HORSE ISN'T TAMED I CAN'T CONTROL IT
SKELETON ON HORSE KILLS ME IN ONE HIT

i've played for like 8 hours so far, and i still haven't seen a single horse

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Macintosh HD posted:

Gamexplain did report (and show on video) that the day 1 patch didn't change anything

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Argh! So good news: my Breath of the Wild Special Edition did in fact actually ship so I am for sure getting that sick-rear end carrying case! The bad news? The arrival estimate is next loving Friday.

You're killing me here, TRU! I am seriously contemplating doing a stupid thing. Namely, going to Walmart or something tomorrow, buying a regular version of the game, keeping the receipt, and then when the special edition comes in, take the game that comes with that back to the store for a refund.

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? Is the copy of the game that comes with the SE any different from one you would just get off the store shelf? Would they have any way of knowing that the copy I returned was not the same one I bought in the first place?

Is it a stupid idea and should I just not be a big, impatient consumer whore?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just linked my Nintendo Network ID to a new Nintendo Account. The NNID has my Mii from the Wii U on it and I'd like to use that Mii as my Switch avatar.

Is this possible? How can I do it?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
how does this thing hold up to the 3ds in terms of comfort, durability and ease of use (ie instant sleep when closing the lid..etc)?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just linked my Nintendo Network ID to a new Nintendo Account. The NNID has my Mii from the Wii U on it and I'd like to use that Mii as my Switch avatar.

Is this possible? How can I do it?
You can transfer it over if you've got an amiibo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow did I find a good example of Zelda slowdown. Just north of Trotter's Downfall is a shrine called Rucco Maag Shrine. Pretty much every graphical effect is in use and the frame rate suffers.

There's no story significance to the name or location mentioned so it's not spoiled.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're.Still.Using.Friend.Codes.

What the holy gently caress.

only till the proper online stuff launches.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Bill Barber posted:

You can transfer it over if you've got an amiibo.

But I don't have any Amiibo :(

Am I out of luck?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Maybe don't use a skin on your Switch.

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-switch-doesn-t-play-well-with-skins-or-stickers-422328.phtml

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a switch without a preorder this morning suck it thread

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dehry posted:

Wow did I find a good example of Zelda slowdown. Just north of Trotter's Downfall is a shrine called Rucco Maag Shrine. Pretty much every graphical effect is in use and the frame rate suffers.

There's no story significance to the name or location mentioned so it's not spoiled.

i think it was rushed out performance wise to meet the launch date. back when all those 99% true leaks about switch were all over the place one of them, if i remember right, was that zelda wasnt ready and was planned for a june/july release. possible we might see a performance patch but i had no wiiu so i got idea if nintendo even do that? could just be first time open world issues mixed in with a quick port. i mean, mario kart 8 is running at 1080p/60fps and what we saw of mario odyssey seem to be running at 60fps too. i'm hoping they pull a majora's mask again and we another zelda quickly running the same engine but with all the performances issues ironed out and it comes with breath of the wild master quest. i like to dream alot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Recommend me a case that doesn't take 2 loving months to ship like the PDP ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Recommend me a case that doesn't take 2 loving months to ship like the PDP ones.

Just do what Kotaku did, and put it in a scratchy sock

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can't seem to find a pro controller anywhere in austin goddamn

I went to Target on 35 just north of Mueller and they had ~15 behind the counter. Check brickseeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Macintosh HD posted:

You aren't getting a software update that corrects the joycon issue.

Solution: Buy a 70 dollar pro. :)

• Locked thread