Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I've noticed that fellow Americans have a lot of poor manual trans habits, like holding the car on a hill with the clutch, and leaving the car in gear with clutch depressed when stopped at a light (for example).

I do all of these. I've never gone through a clutch, even on cars with known clutch issues. I'm always in gear at a stop light unless I'm adjusting my feet. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That doesn't hurt the clutch disc, it wears out the throwout bearing.

Do whatever you like, it's your car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Also if the car has a stop start system it won't kick in until you put the car in neutral and release the clutch.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The clutch is going to poo poo long before the throwout bearing does. And you replace that every time you do a clutch just because it's cheap and you're already in there.

I also roll back when I see someone coming up behind me at a hill stop, most times it keeps them from creeping up to read your radio station.

As far as European driving tests, they actually require you to be able to loving drive to get a license. Here in the land of free, it's stupidly easy to get a license. And it's not like having a license or insurance really matters in this country.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The clutch is going to poo poo long before the throwout bearing does. And you replace that every time you do a clutch just because it's cheap and you're already in there.

I also roll back when I see someone coming up behind me at a hill stop, most times it keeps them from creeping up to read your radio station.

As far as European driving tests, they actually require you to be able to loving drive to get a license. Here in the land of free, it's stupidly easy to get a license. And it's not like having a license or insurance really matters in this country.

I'm guessing no luck from the uninsured driver?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I hated the hill assist on the Subaru's I've driven but my R does it perfectly, Never hooks or hangs, its invisible beside the fact that i can take my feet off the pedals at long lights and not worry about it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So given that I haven't driven a sporty car in 10+ years and the likely hood of a dealership actually letting me test drive an RS is out the window, is there anything even remotely close that I can test drive that would be anything like it?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Etrips posted:

So given that I haven't driven a sporty car in 10+ years and the likely hood of a dealership actually letting me test drive an RS is out the window, is there anything even remotely close that I can test drive that would be anything like it?

My dealer let me test drive an RS without hesitation. Just call around and find one that will let you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I test drove my RS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm guessing no luck from the uninsured driver?

Well the cops ruled for me. So far I've received 100 dollars once from the court.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KillHour posted:

I test drove my RS.

xsf421 posted:

My dealer let me test drive an RS without hesitation. Just call around and find one that will let you.

Well drat, got some calling to do! Does the RS have any additional required maintenance?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Etrips posted:

Well drat, got some calling to do! Does the RS have any additional required maintenance?

Whatever is involved with the AWD system I would assume :)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I went a different direction with wheels on my GTI, Konig Hyper Grams in 18x8.5 with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Also had the VWR springs installed today, up next waiting to go on is the Unitronic intercooler and AWE turbo-back exhaust. Just biding my time until Cobb updates their AP to work with 2017s.

Car is noticeably stiffer with less turn in, however, the grip is just monstrous and there is less drive-line slack it seems with the new springs.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Car looks good, man.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Etrips posted:

veedubfreak posted:

Whatever is involved with the AWD system I would assume :)

Ford considers the RDU in the RS to be a lifetime part. However, if it does detect above average thermal cycles from track usage or just hooning the poo poo out of it on a regular basis, it will tell you that the oil in the RDU needs to be changed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got an estimate from one of their preferred shops for $3100 yesterday. I'm going to go with the other shop since that's where I would have had the car taken had I been in KC. I don't think they're going to like that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone running a 16x7 wheel at +35 offset on the FiST? With a 205/50/16 tire, it looks like its adding 13mm of poke:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...th=7&offset2=35

I am not sure there is enough room in the fender for it. The wheel options for this car are really limited, and I found a wheel I like but its limited to +35 offset at most.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone running a 16x7 wheel at +35 offset on the FiST? With a 205/50/16 tire, it looks like its adding 13mm of poke:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...th=7&offset2=35

I am not sure there is enough room in the fender for it. The wheel options for this car are really limited, and I found a wheel I like but its limited to +35 offset at most.

I would love to throw 16's on. I still can't believe the 2018 will have 18s, terrible decision on Ford's part.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Got an estimate from one of their preferred shops for $3100 yesterday. I'm going to go with the other shop since that's where I would have had the car taken had I been in KC. I don't think they're going to like that.

gently caress'em, they can take it up with their last lovely preferred shop that hacked your car back together

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for every state but where I work they're legally obligated to let you go to whichever shop you want to go

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't speak for every state but where I work they're legally obligated to let you go to whichever shop you want to go

It's the same here. The shop is the one that's going to have fun. They apparently have to deal with the initial appraiser on anything more than she wrote for or something like that.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I totaled my old car and I'm probably going to buy some car in this segment. What cars should I test drive? I guess on my list I have the Veloster Turbo, GTI, and Fiesta ST.

My criteria are basically: I want a car that's enjoyable to drive and is manual but I'm largely going to be using it for commuting, and it's going to be my only car, and I live in New England, so also I want to not wish I'd bought something else when I go to Costco or it snows a lot or whatever. Also my limit is like $30k but that's soft if something is incredible I guess.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So I totaled my old car and I'm probably going to buy some car in this segment. What cars should I test drive? I guess on my list I have the Veloster Turbo, GTI, and Fiesta ST.

My criteria are basically: I want a car that's enjoyable to drive and is manual but I'm largely going to be using it for commuting, and it's going to be my only car, and I live in New England, so also I want to not wish I'd bought something else when I go to Costco or it snows a lot or whatever. Also my limit is like $30k but that's soft if something is incredible I guess.

You want a GTI. The fiesta is too small for stuff and the veloster turbo sucks

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GutBomb posted:

You want a GTI. The fiesta is too small for stuff and the veloster turbo sucks

Is it worth giving the Focus ST a shot instead, do you think?

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

Skip the Veloster, get a ST.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, you're going to want a GTI. The fiesta is great, but it's like 6" too small in every dimension to be practical. Test drive the focus ST too, but the GTI is likely the best of the bunch.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
How tiny is the Fiesta really? I was driving a Mazda 3 sedan before; would it feel a lot more cramped than that?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

How tiny is the Fiesta really? I was driving a Mazda 3 sedan before; would it feel a lot more cramped than that?

Fiesta shares a chassis with the Mazda 2, so yes. I'm not a small person (6' 200lbs) and I drove a Fiesta hatchback for 5 years and it was fine. If you ever have to haul anything around it might be a bit tight. If you like small cars, check it out, but most people in the US don't like small cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's really small on the inside. I'm by myself 99% of the time but it was probably too small for me with all the poo poo I cram in the car for fishing/snowboarding/biking/etc... They're a loving blast though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

xsf421 posted:

Fiesta shares a chassis with the Mazda 2, so yes. I'm not a small person (6' 200lbs) and I drove a Fiesta hatchback for 5 years and it was fine. If you ever have to haul anything around it might be a bit tight. If you like small cars, check it out, but most people in the US don't like small cars.

That gives me a pretty good idea. Thanks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I own a fiesta st and it is a hoot to drive but it's just too small to be practical. It's a lot smaller than a Mazda 3. The GTI on the other hand drives like a tiny car but has room for people and things at the same time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Counterpoint:

Computers, monitors, and phones for a four person office plus a folding ladder, wire, and wiring tools. Nothing extended in to the front row other than the fiberglass sticks in the middle. The front seats didn't need to be moved forward or anything.

If you only ever need four seats OR cargo capacity it's a fine car. If you need both at the same time you'll probably want something else, in which case I'd probably pick the GTI over the FoST as well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I tell people I'm thinking of getting a GTI quite a few cite Volkswagen reliability issues. Is that still really a big concern? I would probably try to get my hands on a slightly used 2015 or 2016.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Short answer: no.

Long answer: You're looking at reliable transportation in both Ford and VW hot hatches. But there is more technology in these cars so they're not invincible like a corolla or something that can go for decades with no maintenance. VW had some very bad years until around 2006, but those issues are long past. (Ignoring dieselgate and related PR issues, of course)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, thanks. I really wish I could make Fiesta ST work (especially given the price, hot hatches in Canada are so drat expensive) but the Focus ST and GTI seem to hit a sweet spot of practicality and performance. Don't think I'm fitting 3 dudes and their hockey gear in a Fiesta.

Has this thread already lamented the lack of a Honda Fit hot hatch?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love my fit and would get a hot one in a heartbeat.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My friend drives one and we really can fit 3 guys, 3 hockey bags, and 6 hockey sticks in it without issue, it's pretty wild.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I know there is probably a more appropriate trouble shooting thread, but I'll ask here anyway. '14 FiST, 70k miles, never any problems. Was driving it home from work , which is about a 40 minute commute. I was almost home and stopped for gas and the pump was running abnormally slow, so I only put $8 worth in it. Start it back up and it runs like absolute poo poo. Missing and almost dying. I purchased 93 octance, as usual (I run a Cobb AP). I stopped and set the map to 'Stage 0', thinking maybe it was just low quality gas. Nothing changed and this morning it won't start at all. It only has a 1/4 of a tank of that poo poo fuel in it. Should I fill it with gas I know to be high grade and try it again? Could there be water in the gas?

I've never had a problem like this and I'm worried that bullshit gas is causing some damage.

I'm not getting a CEL , or any other abnormalities than described.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the practicality knock on the fiesta? People plus cargo? With one seat folded down I can fit two other people plus my full camera kit and I doubt I'd do much better in a gti. To fit the same stuff without folding down the seats in my crosstrek I had to use a roof basket. It's definitely smaller but with some Tetris you can still fit a lot. I could see it being unworkable for 4 people with travel bags though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I love my fit and would get a hot one in a heartbeat.
Yuuuup. I've had mine for a few years and put the last ~36,000 miles of the ~106,000 it has on it and am still really impressed by it. If it just had like twice the power it would be perfect in every way. I know that's achievable with a fairly easy engine swap but then I would need another car while that was happening and if I do that I might as well get something impractical and not ruin the fit.