Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

it was good storytelling

kevin owens probably could have taken goldberg but screwed over his former friend and he got his comeuppance for being a dick to the one person that cared about him

i dont understand why people are upset about this other than "b-but part timers!!" which is silly anyway

In 2017 the audience is smart enough that obvious storytelling is not good storytelling

and it will lead to a lousy Wrestlemania main event

On another note, Bayley got exposed as Always Bad. Why does that happen with all the NXT women??? Does anyone have a gif of that tree of woe "spot"?

Also that storytelling made no sense. Why wasn't Bayley DQ'd when Sasha interfered? Why is the good guy cheating? What is going on???

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kawalimus posted:

The only way to do it is to have Jericho cost KO the win with a distraction like right at the beginning, then Goldberg hits his stuff and wins.
Super late with this but holy poo poo you nailed it

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
As I've said before, if and when the bottom drops out for the WWE, I fear it's going to be catastrophic. It feels like Vince had spent 15 years re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and that the longer the other shoe takes to drop, the bigger and heavier it's gonna be.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So last night Goldberg won decisively, a shoehorned angle cast an unnecessary cloud over a PPV main event instead of staying on TV where it belonged, a tall guy with long hair used 3 moves to win a match against a taller and more entertaining giant damaging the giants specialness for no gain, and the Cruiserweights put on the best match of the night by a hilariously wide margin. Who else is pumped that it 1998 again and WCW is back?

Seriously though, I'm amazed at how many people are surprised and/or mad at this. It was clear as day it was coming the moment we heard Lesnar and Burg were fighting for the belt. Why do you think I was so sad that it was Jericho who turned instead of Owens? The moment that happened this was inevitable, and I said as much in the day.

If anything I'm annoyed that Owens got that distraction because it meant Goldberg didn't get to really be Goldberg, and Owens didn't get to throw even one punch for the sake of his credibility. It was literally the worst of both worlds.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Anyone else think Goldberg looked real out of breath by the time he reached the ring? He looked really uncomfortable.

Did I imagine it or did he claim in a pre-Series interview that he was doing no training whatsoever?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

magnum_valentino posted:

Anyone else think Goldberg looked real out of breath by the time he reached the ring? He looked really uncomfortable.

Did I imagine it or did he claim in a pre-Series interview that he was doing no training whatsoever?

He's constantly been claiming the opposite. That he's training like eight times a day six days a week.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Remember when Rock and Punk had two good matches?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

magnum_valentino posted:

Goldberg is literally a 50 year old man, do you think that somehow a 50 year old man would look like him if he was "doing no training whatsoever"?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

magnum_valentino posted:

To be fair that's a long rear end entrance and they didnt save the royal rumble fat guy carts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He's a 50 year old man with a significant amount of muscle who's only offense has always been based on intensity.

He can train all day long and there's still a very very limited amount of gas that's going to be in his tank.

And if that training has involved adding muscle mass, which I'm sure it has, that's very counterproductive.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

He's a 50 year old man with a significant amount of muscle who's only offense has always been based on intensity.

He can train all day long and there's still a very very limited amount of gas that's going to be in his tank.

And if that training has involved adding muscle mass, which I'm sure it has, that's very counterproductive.

Beyond that, I imagine he also does a light workout before going out to the ring so he looks more muscular/vascular, and is probably flexing most of the way to the ring, which would compound the issue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

goldberg is bad now. let seth at him imo sort him out like sting

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

In 2017 the audience is smart enough that obvious storytelling is not good storytelling

and it will lead to a lousy Wrestlemania main event

On another note, Bayley got exposed as Always Bad. Why does that happen with all the NXT women??? Does anyone have a gif of that tree of woe "spot"?

Also that storytelling made no sense. Why wasn't Bayley DQ'd when Sasha interfered? Why is the good guy cheating? What is going on???

It's going to be Goldberg's actual retirement match, I'm sure, so they're going to try to make as big a deal as they can. Of course you give him the belt, because not a goddamn single casual viewer who stopped watching wrestling is going to look at Mania and say, "oh boy, dean ambrose and baron corbin! gotta watch!" They see Goldberg and Lesnar, and they need to see that freak show.

The tree of woe spot was a mistake by Charlotte who was trying to get her foot in a better position while trying to not get into position for Bayley's move fearing she could've injured herself. Does this make Bayley awful? Absolutely not, and yes, she is the face, because Sasha is interfering on her own. The idea is that the woman who's cheated to win all this time is getting hosed by run-ins is supposed to a sense of ironic comeuppance for Charlotte, and this is absolutely leading to Bayley telling Sasha she needs to back off so she can win on her own, and Sasha taking it the wrong way. Charlotte telling Dana to, "Get off my stage" is her showing a lot of hubris and overconfidence, not, "i'm here to win one on my own because gosh darnit, I want to be the best."

Was it a sloppy show? Sure, but the last three matches make sense if you remember the stories leading up to them and let go of all the incorrect predictions leading into it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

goldberg is bad now. let seth at him imo sort him out like sting

match ends in double countout when seth breaks goldberg's neck doing the barricade bomb and tears his own ACLs in the process of performing the move

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Seriously though, I'm amazed at how many people are surprised and/or mad at this. It was clear as day it was coming the moment we heard Lesnar and Burg were fighting for the belt. Why do you think I was so sad that it was Jericho who turned instead of Owens? The moment that happened this was inevitable, and I said as much in the day.

No-one is surprised, but just because it was inevitable doesn't mean it wasn't also a really loving stupid idea.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The show was...bad!
It really wasn't...rad!
I watched it and was...sad!

There was a Jinder Mahal bonus match that got more than six minutes.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

magnum_valentino posted:

He looked out of breath when he was at the top of the ramp doing his kick thing after the sparks. I wonder if they will even bother giving KO a rematch just to have him get squished again

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I feel like Jinder could wear shorts that say, I take lots of roids, and he still wouldn't get popped for whatever reason

That bacne was groooossss

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry lads, I phrased that badly. What I meant was "didn't he say he hadn't done any wrestling training?", not everyday gym training.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Was laughing with a friend this morning, you have a three hour show and you couldn't set up one good story line to fill up loving PPV time so you half rear end it and throw Jinder in a match, then job Rusev out to Big Show for no reason

You had new day doing nothing, why are they doing nothing? Sheamus and Cesaro however they got together was dumb but now people like them as a tag team, they're doing nothing together.

I would have rather watched a comedy feud built up where Titus O Neil not getting into the new day creates something like the new new day with two others and just copies the new day

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Do it ironically posted:

You had new day doing nothing, why are they doing nothing? Sheamus and Cesaro however they got together was dumb but now people like them as a tag team, they're doing nothing together.

theres no one for them to feud with without them also getting back into the title scene which no one wants after they just set the record. and please keep titus off my tv forever

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Do it ironically posted:

Was laughing with a friend this morning, you have a three hour show and you couldn't set up one good story line to fill up loving PPV time so you half rear end it and throw Jinder in a match, then job Rusev out to Big Show for no reason

I would have rather watched a comedy feud built up where Titus O Neil not getting into the new day creates something like the new new day with two others and just copies the new day

Are there enough black guys on RAW to manage that? I guess he could get mark henry and darren young?

Titus, darren young, R-truth. There you go. They could call the team "No Reaction"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
loving lol have we really progressed to BAYLEY WAS ALWAYS poo poo?

Looking forward to the hot takes in a week or so that AJ Styles and Nakamura are in fact poo poo wrestlers who were never ever good.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov38 posted:

theres no one for them to feud with without them also getting back into the title scene which no one wants after they just set the record. and please keep titus off my tv forever

People love to hate Titus, I'm telling you doing that have having a fun comedy match where Titus and co lose would have been infinitely better

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Tonight's match has proven that Kenny Omega is in fact one of the worst wrestlers who has ever laced up the boots #RowdyHotTakes

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
where the hell is R-Truth these days

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

Still doing that horrible thing with goldust. He shows up sometimes.

edit: also they are a house show staple.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

last time i saw him i think was when the club destroyed the dusty bayley bear

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
is he still chasing pokémon

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't care as much about Goldberg vs. Owens because if Brock got beat in a minute, there was no way they were going to have anything more for Owens. Although, I agree that there is no need to throw in the belt given that these are part timers, unless the idea is for Brock to win it and commit to a heavier schedule which is highly doubtful.

What irritates me more is Roman beating Braun. I get the point of a big monster heel is to eventually finally lose to your number 1 face guy, but I don't understand why it had to happen in his first real PPV match of any consequence and it's a like a C - tier PPV at that. I guess it makes sense since Fastlane seemed to be invented to put over Roman Reigns in the first place back when you still had Daniel Bryan.

What I'm saying is, sure, have Roman eventually beat Braun, but do more to establish his unbeatable aura than having him beat Sami Zayn and Big Show. I guess Sin Cara was in there somewhere too. Everything else was like a DQ victory or interference or whatever.

Oh well

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wasn't taker supposed to interfere in the braun match anyway, what happened to that

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wasn't taker supposed to interfere in the braun match anyway, what happened to that

My guess is that he isn't healthy enough for mania, so they're just sort of pretending he doesn't exist until he can go again. 100% wild speculation, but at this point we're less than a month out, and even for the sloppy booking team (tm) that isn't enough time to establish a match for undertaker.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

What irritates me more is Roman beating Braun. I get the point of a big monster heel is to eventually finally lose to your number 1 face guy, but I don't understand why it had to happen in his first real PPV match of any consequence and it's a like a C - tier PPV at that.

I mean they also ruined the entire Bayley/Charlotte storyline on a C-Tier show as well. Breaking the PPV streak + already having the title meant nothing loving mattered and they blew their big WM moment to kill both of those with one victory. The Raw writers are beyond dogshit.

I wish the Cruiserweights had like, a PPV to themselves every 2 months or something so I can watch just them without the stink of Raw bullshit all over it

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I mean they also ruined the entire Bayley/Charlotte storyline on a C-Tier show as well. Breaking the PPV streak + already having the title meant nothing loving mattered and they blew their big WM moment to kill both of those with one victory. The Raw writers are beyond dogshit.

I wish the Cruiserweights had like, a PPV to themselves every 2 months or something so I can watch just them without the stink of Raw bullshit all over it

I think it's more that they are writing day to day and are extremely short-sighted than anything else.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Remember when taker came to smackdown and said they better win survivor series or there will be problems which implicitly told us he was going to be a smackdown part timer, then he just showed up on RAW one day

WWE booking :thumbsup:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Platypus Farm posted:

Are there enough black guys on RAW to manage that? I guess he could get mark henry and darren young?

Titus, darren young, R-truth. There you go. They could call the team "No Reaction"

Darren got hurt again and is out for a while.

It was easy to miss because who the gently caress cares about Darren Young?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Titus: I want Darren!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Has Goldberg even wrestled a total of 10 minutes since his return?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at this homophobe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

it's burned into my head because the injury video was darren's elbow bending the complete wrong way

• Locked thread