Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Level 10 fighting the Skydragon and it makes me feel like I'm completely useless at this game. Only things I've been challenged by so far leading up to this were the Raedric fight at level 5/6 without cheesing it with doorways or anything like that and the Adra Animat on level 7 of Caed Nua which I think I came to at too low a level.

Running Eder, Kana, Durance, Aloth, Sagani and rogue PC. Spreading my guys out so I don't get hit all at once by the cold breath, constantly paralysing with scrolls, everyone armed for high pierce damage, constantly buffing/healing, etc.

One cold breath will knock out pretty much everyone except Eder. Just can't seem to keep people alive long enough to whittle the health down.

Are you having someone else with a remove fear scroll do the initial cast while Durance gives major buffs and someone with high str uses a moonwell scroll while everyone else spams summon items to distract the dragon? I find that helps a lot also you can do some pre fight buffing with food. Keep up the paralyzing with scrolls, thats a solid strat on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Can we please put "use Hiravias" in the OP?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's a helmet you can get that makes dragon breath not hurt so much.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you haven't killed the game yet you might be able to retrieve the last save from the game's guts. I did it during the early days of the game.

Ah, poo poo. Thanks for the info - I guess I'll know for next time, but I already exited the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Litany Unheard posted:

Iselmyr is a way cooler person than Aloth, anyways. He should try to be more like her. Give no fucks, tell that farmer to go gently caress his sister, hell yeah

Pillars 2 would've breached the $10 million mark if Iselmyr was a romance option :colbert:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

Pillars 2 would've breached the $10 million mark if Iselmyr was a romance option :colbert:

One weird trick for milking your lonely gamer audience. Avellone hates it!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I know I'm itching for her kindling touch...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Western dating sim genre is an untapped gold mine that Bioware's just barely hit their pick against, and it's frankly kind of surprising no one else seems to be picking up on it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vermain posted:

The Western dating sim genre is an untapped gold mine that Bioware's just barely hit their pick against, and it's frankly kind of surprising no one else seems to be picking up on it.
Is it? I mean, for one, the hyperindie visual novel market (Ladykiller In A Bind, etc) is starting to become more visible. The perception is that only women and queers play them and publishers don't know how to market to those demographics. More to the point, the publishers' established userbases don't want them to chase those demographics.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 7, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

publishers don't know how to market to those demographics. More to the point, the publishers' established userbases don't want them to chase those demographics.

This is both true and stupid

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I beat this loving Sky Dragon finally.

It took a long time to whittle him down with everyone geared up for pierce/slash damage and constant buffing/debuffing. My paralysis attacks wouldn't reliably work, between trap, scroll and spell. Between those two things I'm not sure if I just completely misunderstand the stat system or I was a little underlevelled at level 10. Don't really have any trouble in general combat though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pocket Billiards posted:

I beat this loving Sky Dragon finally.

It took a long time to whittle him down with everyone geared up for pierce/slash damage and constant buffing/debuffing. My paralysis attacks wouldn't reliably work, between trap, scroll and spell. Between those two things I'm not sure if I just completely misunderstand the stat system or I was a little underlevelled at level 10. Don't really have any trouble in general combat though.

His deflection/saves are pretty high. Did you boost your accuracy before trying to cast paralyze? A great spell to cast is Devotions of the faithful. It buffs your parties accuracy by +20 which is huge (helps you land hits & spells better). Other spells/potions like Eldritch Aim can be helpful as well. The Sky Dragon has over 100 in each defense iirc so you need to boost your accuracy pretty high to land spells and hits on him.

One thing I think not many people realize unless they've taken a closer look is accuracy isn't just for hitting monsters. It's also for landing spells. But accuracy targets the relevant spell defense, not deflection. So you want not only your melee but also your casters to have high accuracy when they're trying to land their big poo poo. This is why people talk about Rangers and Fighters being awesome for scroll use because those classes have high accuracy to begin with, meaning if you give them a spell they can land it pretty reliably.

I just beat the Fampyrs in Russetwood at level 7 last night with my Priest of Skaen :toot:. Felt pretty satisfying to beat them without prayer against treachery available. Helps that my Priest absolutely melts the everloving gently caress out of things with the Bartender Ring. Look forward to giving Galvino's the middle finger with my giant holy radiance nukes.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Started a new game with muscle wizard; Am finding 'hard' difficulty to be super easy so far. Last time I played this game with a Cipher on the same difficulty (around release), I found the first 6 levels to be really rough. I had to use every ability in my arsenal to make it through most fights iirc. Might just be easier this time around because I know what I'm doing. Or maybe the game got patched to be easier in the earlier stages. I'm not sure. Do people generally find hard to be too easy and play PotD instead? Thinking of restarting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Amish Ninja posted:

Started a new game with muscle wizard; Am finding 'hard' difficulty to be super easy so far. Last time I played this game with a Cipher on the same difficulty (around release), I found the first 6 levels to be really rough. I had to use every ability in my arsenal to make it through most fights iirc. Might just be easier this time around because I know what I'm doing. Or maybe the game got patched to be easier in the earlier stages. I'm not sure. Do people generally find hard to be too easy and play PotD instead? Thinking of restarting.

Once you know the mechanics and how they interact Hard isn't really all that difficult anymore. You'd probably run into a little trouble if you hit the Temple or Caed Nua early, but otherwise :shrug:

I'm doing my current playthrough on PotD after completing the game on Hard and having a blast.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Do the WM companions have much to say if you take them back to the base game?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CFox posted:

Do the WM companions have much to say if you take them back to the base game?

They have some banters. Not sure off the top of my head how much they interact with base game quests.

Amish Ninja posted:

If you know basic strategies for getting through the regular game you should be okay on potd. Some fights will be pretty hard, but nothing too unreasonable. It helps to know the mechanics of the game if you're playing on potd but even if you're not an expert you should still be ok.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Vermain posted:

Overwatch is one of the most successful games of all time, isn't it?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Did you boost your accuracy before trying to cast paralyze? A great spell to cast is Devotions of the faithful. It buffs your parties accuracy by +20 which is huge (helps you land hits & spells better).

Does anyone know how/whether accuracy-enhancing buffs stack? For example, if I cast "Devotions of the Faithful" and a Scroll of Valor, will I receive a combined +35 accuracy? I've seen other status effects and buffs that don't stack, and so I'm always hesitant to waste spells on duplicate stats when I've already got an active one going.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They shouldn't. Active effects shouldn't stack. I'm saying "shouldn't" because the code governing that is not always on top of things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

They have some banters. Not sure off the top of my head how much they interact with base game quests.

If you know basic strategies for getting through the regular game you should be okay on potd. Some fights will be pretty hard, but nothing too unreasonable. It helps to know the mechanics of the game if you're playing on potd but even if you're not an expert you should still be ok.

The only real difference between hard and potd is you need to understand how debuffs and immunity spells work. Also helps if you know where to buy the shod-in-faith boots.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

rope kid posted:

They shouldn't. Active effects shouldn't stack. I'm saying "shouldn't" because the code governing that is not always on top of things.

Jadus posted:

Does anyone know how/whether accuracy-enhancing buffs stack? For example, if I cast "Devotions of the Faithful" and a Scroll of Valor, will I receive a combined +35 accuracy? I've seen other status effects and buffs that don't stack, and so I'm always hesitant to waste spells on duplicate stats when I've already got an active one going.

Bonuses to Ranged/Melee Accuracy (e.g. Devotions for the Faithful) will stack with General Accuracy Bonuses (e.g. Eldritch Aim, Blessing, Zealous Focus). It's part of the reason Devotions for the Faithful is one of the best spells in the game.

If I recall correctly, scroll of valors info is wrong and it will actually increased ranged/melee accuracy.

Holy Radiance from a priest with the talent will also provide an extra +10 Accuracy that stacks with everything.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Let us savor this moment. Cowboy hats are in. They'll probably be out tomorrow, but they're in right now:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/839187923937304576

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Dual wield pistols + cowboy hats

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Serafen is going to be a pirate cowboy, and it's going to be awesome.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Scorchy posted:

Dual wield pistols + cowboy hats

Dual wield cowboy hats.

Put a cowboy hat on my cowboy hat.

...oh god give me hats for the pets. I want that baby lagufaeth rocking a tiny cowboy hat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also, big head mode better still be a thing. Massive cowboy hats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We need the black wide brim hats like the dude wears in good bad and ugly

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Scorchy posted:

Dual wield pistols

What good does this even do you? Other than opening with slightly more damage.

It's still fire pistol/reload/fire pistol/reload. Why not just use the best of the two pistols?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

It's still fire pistol/reload/fire pistol/reload. Why not just use the best of the two pistols?

It looks cool

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Because it's really cool?

But I take your point. A wizard dual wielding implements is where the real power plays'll be.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Let us savor this moment. Cowboy hats are in. They'll probably be out tomorrow, but they're in right now:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/839187923937304576

Well there goes my hat slot

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

They could set it so that it's fire, fire, reload, reload for spikier damage (though I feel like everyone will just switch to melee after the two shots). Or a pistol that debuffs followed by one that takes advantage of said debuff.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Ravenfood posted:

They could set it so that it's fire, fire, reload, reload for spikier damage (though I feel like everyone will just switch to melee after the two shots).

Very realistic.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

four weapon sets, eight pistols

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

hangedman1984 posted:

This is both true and stupid

eventually all publsihers, developers, coders, writers & artists growing up in our modern anime-soaked world will never not have experienced anime & fallen in love with an anime boyfriend/girlfriend. then the singulairty happens

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fintilgin posted:

I never reload my pistols until the end of combat anyway.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

They could set it so that it's fire, fire, reload, reload for spikier damage (though I feel like everyone will just switch to melee after the two shots).
The modal ability for proficiency in pistol is to flip it over and use it as a club.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

AriadneThread posted:

four weapon sets, eight pistols

This wasn't an unheard of tactic for muzzle loading pistols

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think I'd be more onboard with the fire gun/switch weapons strategy if it was easily coded into the party AI. Like it would be super fun to have everyone shoot and then swap weapons, but it's a lot of clicking at the start of every combat. Plus, I find if I give characters ranged in one slot and melee in another they switch and stick with the weapon I don't want them using regularly. Like, no Eder, don't hang back and keep shooting a bow, advance into combat please.

Actually, I've noticed that my characters seem to be dropping their AI mode semi-regularly. I set them to aggressive or whatever, and later on I'll find them standing around with ... over their head because they've switched back to passive. No pattern to what causes it that I see, but annoying. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid posted:

The modal ability for proficiency in pistol is to flip it over and use it as a club.

That. Is. Great.

• Locked thread