Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You aren't allowed to be a Rick and Morty fan if you don't love Doc and Mahati :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CelticPredator posted:

You aren't allowed to be a Rick and Morty fan if you don't love Doc and Mahati :colbert:

I have a friend who loves rick and morty but got mad at me when I showed him Doc And Mharti and he said it "nearly ruined" rick and morty for him. What the gently caress?? How can you be 100% down with all the poo poo in Rick and Morty but some light ball licking is too far. Oddly enough the thing he complained about most was the burping.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doc and Mharti was insanely visceral and weird and graphic and it came together in a very disturbing, upsetting, 'punk-rock' avant garde kind of way. That is to say, kind of lovely, overtly explicit, and deliberately showing things that are supposed to upset a well-adjusted person.

So it makes perfect sense that it could ruin someone's enjoyment of Rick & Morty.

To be completely honest, I didn't believe it was going to work at all as an Adult Swim adaptation. Much as I enjoyed what I'd seen of Roiland, I couldn't believe any executive could have possibly seen those shorts and thought "this could be a hit!", i thought it was a drug-addled mistake, which sometimes works on adult swim but usually it doesn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Woahhhhh WAOOOHH I'm lil Jeremiah, woooahhh, ooohhhh.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

.....so are there new episodes yet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The show was cancelled 2 years ago.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CelticPredator posted:

The show was cancelled 2 years ago.

In all dimensions????

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In all dimensions????

No, only in the ones you inhabit. Everyone is enjoying it immensely, everywhere you aren't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In all dimensions????

It's currently on Season 28 in most other dimensions. People are saying it's not as funny as it used to be.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It's currently on Season 28 in most other dimensions. People are saying it's not as funny as it used to be.

I find it's mostly due to the 30 cable tv show episodes. Talk about killing the joke!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Talking about this dimension, I hope they don't try to continue the cable TV episodes every season. Maybe just keep it in the background if they walk past a TV that's on or something.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

Talking about this dimension, I hope they don't try to continue the cable TV episodes every season. Maybe just keep it in the background if they walk past a TV that's on or something.

The inter-dimensional cable? No way, it's amazing to see professionally produced animation wrapped around the most half-assed, occasionally funny improvised vocal takes, it's awesome on so many levels. Imagine the weeks at the R&M studios where all the staff worked on these scenes, would everyone be giggling to themselves at the absurdity of their creation or silently lusting for the bottle in their desk drawer after hearing the word eyeholes for the billionth time while they sync the audio? Or being the dude frantically trying to explain how jan michaeling his vincents was a legitimate answer when asked what he's been up to? I hope they collectively pick the least best choices from the improv sessions, almost as a personal challenge and quest for self improvement.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They admitted that the second one was terrible on the audio commentary. They also said they need to do at least a third one, so they can redeem themselves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronjutter posted:

I have a friend who loves rick and morty but got mad at me when I showed him Doc And Mharti and he said it "nearly ruined" rick and morty for him. What the gently caress?? How can you be 100% down with all the poo poo in Rick and Morty but some light ball licking is too far. Oddly enough the thing he complained about most was the burping.

Uh, like if you can't understand why depictions of incest and pedophilia would upset someone then maybe you are like a horrible sadbrainz broken person? Even if Doc & Mharti is intentionally tone deaf and not played straight or anything, it's still loving super duper gross and I only finished watching it because I was in a room full of people who wanted to see where it went.

and the burping is still omnipresent in season 1 and toned down for S2

I've come to accept that Justin Roiland by himself is the opposite of entertainment for me and without a guiding light to mold him into something palatable he is the most obnoxious person and focuses on the absolute worst aspects of his range and talents.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You ever see them do improvised scenes at comic cons? They're awful. Particularly Roiland.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Rick and Morty digital cards and stickers are coming to Quidd! So you'll finally be able to spam Rick and Morty images in your text messages.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, like if you can't understand why depictions of incest and pedophilia would upset someone then maybe you are like a horrible sadbrainz broken person? Even if Doc & Mharti is intentionally tone deaf and not played straight or anything, it's still loving super duper gross and I only finished watching it because I was in a room full of people who wanted to see where it went.

I don't get Channel 101 at all. Everything they ever did there seems half-assed and off-putting, like they shot the very first things that came to mind and didn't spend any time at all trying to edit their ideas. I feel like at that time, they'd be the kind of artists who'd go "No, you see it's supposed to look like we're lazy and don't give a poo poo about the final product. Art!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You ever see them do improvised scenes at comic cons? They're awful. Particularly Roiland.

Rick and Morty is only possible because Harmon reels in the worst parts of Roiland's dumb monkey cheese bullshit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

I don't get Channel 101 at all. Everything they ever did there seems half-assed and off-putting, like they shot the very first things that came to mind and didn't spend any time at all trying to edit their ideas. I feel like at that time, they'd be the kind of artists who'd go "No, you see it's supposed to look like we're lazy and don't give a poo poo about the final product. Art!"

Any exposure to Roiland's human form just builds on the opinion I have that he is a miserable sack of poo poo IRL who is probably chronically frustrated that people don't understand his shrill ironic genius, and its only through very specific venues that he gets anywhere near the recognition that he thinks he deserves. I'm the biggest R&M fan around and I am awaiting S3 with baited breath, but Roiland's acting is little more than a vehicle for what I assume is Dan Harmon's specific brand outlandish-yet-dry humor. I honestly imagine that he must be just like Lemongrab in real life. I don't have anything personal against the dude, and I make my own living as an artist who produces really disturbing or graphic content, so it's not like I don't 'get it' I think i do, honestly, but the thing is when it comes to shock/gruesome/freaky art people, there are two distinct breeds: The kind who think they are subverting the medium and are gonna blow the roof off the art world because they are so loving edgy and the dudes who just quietly hang up paintings of dismembered babies and roses in the gallery and drink at the bar until it's time to grab their check and go home to watch some TV. The latter half are some of my best friends, but i strongly suspect Roiland is closer to the former.

Reminder that the Nintendo Zelda 3DS gag from Season 1 is based a real thing Justin Roiland did, that is the kind of dude he purports to be. I think Rick & morty deserves all the acclaim it's getting because its funny and clearly lovingly crafted by people who want to make this kind of TV, but I could easily see it going way up its own rear end in S3 and beyond.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Channel 101 was a big part of my teens, but I guess it's a bit of an acquired taste. There's some good poo poo on there though that isn't weird or gross. Who can't enjoy some good old Yacht rock? I can enjoy Justin at his worst, but do think he produces more consistent and better work with Harmon there to guide him.

We've had some pretty gross poo poo on rick and morty. The whole ending of the purge episode was just insane over the top violent, but at no time did anyone gently caress any stab holes. I think if harmon does anything it's make sure the episodes actually have a plot of some sort.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Turns out the best TV and movies tend to be a collaboration where people complement strengths and reign in faults. Who knew?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Channel 101 was a big part of my teens, but I guess it's a bit of an acquired taste. There's some good poo poo on there though that isn't weird or gross. Who can't enjoy some good old Yacht rock? I can enjoy Justin at his worst, but do think he produces more consistent and better work with Harmon there to guide him.

We've had some pretty gross poo poo on rick and morty. The whole ending of the purge episode was just insane over the top violent, but at no time did anyone gently caress any stab holes. I think if harmon does anything it's make sure the episodes actually have a plot of some sort.

I don't think it's a matter of just mixing the right amount of Harmon and Roiland and boom, it's magic. I think they work really hard to write Rick and Morty and spend hours upon hours honing the jokes and trying to get the plots to fit together right. Channel 101 is clearly just them filming the first drafts of sketches.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's consistently loving hilarious to me seeing people state Dan motherfucking Harmon is the reasonable one of the pair who has to moderate Roiland's influence. If you told me that during Season 3 of Community I would have laughed my rear end off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arist posted:

It's consistently loving hilarious to me seeing people state Dan motherfucking Harmon is the reasonable one of the pair who has to moderate Roiland's influence. If you told me that during Season 3 of Community I would have laughed my rear end off.

It just always amuses me that Roiland's Rick voice is pretty clearly a parody of Harmon's own voice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arist posted:

It's not lost on him for sure. There was an interview a while ago where he was talking about how on community he was the crazy edgy outsider constantly butting heads with the studio idiots who demanded his show be "relatable" and "have jokes people might get" but on rick and morty he's basically that guy now, having to try to make the show something people outside of gross old channel 101 fans might watch.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Arist posted:

When an rear end in a top hat and a dick work closely together, you get something special.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's not a bad thing and I'm not some tviv outcast weirdo who posts in a thread for a show he hates. R&M would be much different and probably much worse without Roiland

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

IUG posted:

They admitted that the second one was terrible on the audio commentary. They also said they need to do at least a third one, so they can redeem themselves.

The second one isn't that bad. I didn't like it the first time I watched it, but on a re-watch I enjoyed a few of the sketches a bit more (the "Michael and Pichael" joke is hilarious).

The first one is still a million times better though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The second one isn't that bad. I didn't like it the first time I watched it, but on a re-watch I enjoyed a few of the sketches a bit more (the "Michael and Pichael" joke is hilarious).

The first one is still a million times better though.

Both of the interdimensional cable episodes had top-notch B-stories, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Yeah so much this, its painfully obvious whenever they do improv that Harmon should write and Roiland should pretty much just come up with jokes and do the voices. He's... awkward as a writer.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Rick and Morty is only possible because Harmon reels in the worst parts of Roiland's dumb monkey cheese bullshit

Not even monkey cheese. Weird fetish poo poo. (literally)

He's this guy

Playing D&D with Roiland would be super loving awkward.

I say this as a massive massive R&M fan who obviously appreciates a lot of Roiland's work. But just... blagh. Not in public, guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PVNKvIDRwI&t=108s

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 8, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's not a bad thing and I'm not some tviv outcast weirdo who posts in a thread for a show he hates. R&M would be much different and probably much worse without Roiland

It's a more scatological version of why Eternal Sunshine works as a movie.

Dan Harmon is a self-loathing, emotionally indulgent depressive with a solid grasp of form and narrative. Roiland is a whacky, juvenile provocateur who can skew unwatchable or arbitrary. Their powers combined create a complex, nuanced, imaginative story that still functions on a character and story level.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think y'all are giving Mr Harmon and Dr Roiland too much poo poo. They're human beings who are really far away and I think it's easy to create characteurs of them we can get angry at, or idolize or whatever.

Bust Rodd posted:

Any exposure to Roiland's human form just builds on the opinion I have that he is a miserable sack of poo poo IRL who is probably chronically frustrated that people don't understand his shrill ironic genius, and its only through very specific venues that he gets anywhere near the recognition that he thinks he deserves. I'm the biggest R&M fan around and I am awaiting S3 with baited breath, but Roiland's acting is little more than a vehicle for what I assume is Dan Harmon's specific brand outlandish-yet-dry humor. I honestly imagine that he must be just like Lemongrab in real life. I don't have anything personal against the dude, and I make my own living as an artist who produces really disturbing or graphic content, so it's not like I don't 'get it' I think i do, honestly, but the thing is when it comes to shock/gruesome/freaky art people, there are two distinct breeds: The kind who think they are subverting the medium and are gonna blow the roof off the art world because they are so loving edgy and the dudes who just quietly hang up paintings of dismembered babies and roses in the gallery and drink at the bar until it's time to grab their check and go home to watch some TV. The latter half are some of my best friends, but i strongly suspect Roiland is closer to the former.

Reminder that the Nintendo Zelda 3DS gag from Season 1 is based a real thing Justin Roiland did, that is the kind of dude he purports to be. I think Rick & morty deserves all the acclaim it's getting because its funny and clearly lovingly crafted by people who want to make this kind of TV, but I could easily see it going way up its own rear end in S3 and beyond.

Oh man you've got to post your sick and disturbing art, or at least link it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roiland owns you babies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Oh wow, 50 new posts. Maybe they announced season 3's...

:stare:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RaPnr

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought the ten Tuesday's at tinkle's video was really funny. It's actually not quite as bizarre and obnoxious as some twitch channels I've seen.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I want season 2 of Harmonquest.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I want season 2 of Harmonquest.

Yes.

rydiafan posted:

Oh wow, 50 new posts. Maybe they announced season 3's...

:stare:

Even during the middle of a season, you should know by know that if there's a ton of new posts, it's just the thread making GBS threads all over itself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really like this alien design, does it have an official name in show? I mean I know that the character is named Krombopulos Michael, I'm just wondering if his species has a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really like this alien design, does it have an official name in show? I mean I know that the character is named Krombopulos Michael, I'm just wondering if his species has a name.

http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/Krombopulos_Michael

• Locked thread