Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A worker should be able to convert into an ice breaker or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I do expect to see canals in this game because I foresee one of the expansions being ocean related. Importance of navies is one thing the series has never accomplished, and with systems caring about continents in this game, and a bunch of naval UUs, I think we're going to get it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bitprophet posted:

If you mean the deal where there's a short blockage of ice preventing navigation around the continent, I think the most recent patch tweaked map generation so that's less common. Haven't verified it myself yet.

I've played a few games since they game out and it seems that almost without fail there's a 1-tile gap between land and where ice is allowed to form. In fact I've yet to see any continents NOT be circumnavigable since the patch.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Alkydere posted:

I've played a few games since they game out and it seems that almost without fail there's a 1-tile gap between land and where ice is allowed to form. In fact I've yet to see any continents NOT be circumnavigable since the patch.

:neckbeard:

Re: canals: agree it would fit in well. And speaking of water things, I still sorta wish they'd come up with a way to square the difference between "want to settle inland because districts/wonders (and water tiles just stink)" and "want to settle on coast because of the housing boost". It'd be even worse if they'd kept the previous games' requirement of the city tile being on-coast to build naval units, but at least that was fixed.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 7, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean heck, Teddy Roosevelt is a leader. Panama Canal wonder would be sweet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Or just a really expensive district, has to be adjacent to either a water tile or another canal tile. Cannot be adjacent to more than 2 water/canal tiles?

Also on the plus side I've found that espionage is a surprisingly effective way to shut down an AI's tourism generation if they're not building wonders or unique improvements. If you steal their great works it both neuters their tourism/culture production but also adds it to your pool. Works incredibly well against Kongo and Brazil since they both suck up great people like sponges.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you click on more turn after you win the Australian scenario, it shows you the losing movie.

And what I don't get about the scenario is it's all about building tile improvements and town building, right? The score screen it only shows myself and it makes me wonder. Did the AI in that scenario even do anything? They made towns but I wonder if they did anything in them.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 7, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I mean heck, Engineering is a techTeddy Roosevelt is a leader. Panama Canal wonder a canal improvement would be sweet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tenzarin posted:

If you click on more turn after you win the Australian scenario, it shows you the losing movie.

And what I don't get about the scenario is it's all about building tile improvements and town building, right? The score screen it only shows myself and it makes me wonder. Did the AI in that scenario even do anything? They made towns but I wonder if they did anything in them.

The victory condition is based solely on how many gold per turn you're pulling in -- I think the other civs in that scenario only exist for flavor or as potential obstacles.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a little weird that I can shoot at inland cities with a submarine. Also that they can pillage. I suppose nuclear subs make sense cause they can shoot like cruise missiles, but ww2 subs? Idk about that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Most of y'all likely know but a city that sits right on the tile between 2 bodies of water counts as a canal and opens the passage for your ships

Your movement won't show it but this ship can freely pass back and forth through the city and reach both sides of the ocean. It won't help you with 2 tile gaps but hey it's better than nothing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gort posted:

Having played a game with it, the World Wonder Overhaul mod is pretty much a must-have. So many more worthwhile wonders with it enabled.

How does the AI interact with this? Does it recognize the changed bonuses and prioritize them differently than it does now?

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's a little weird that I can shoot at inland cities with a submarine. Also that they can pillage. I suppose nuclear subs make sense cause they can shoot like cruise missiles, but ww2 subs? Idk about that.

Deck guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Ellwood

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 7, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And simulating the disruption of coastal trading vessels, and arriving and departing shipping.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Phanatic posted:

How does the AI interact with this? Does it recognize the changed bonuses and prioritize them differently than it does now?

The AI likely doesn't think beyond "This wonder is cultural and my leader has a 7/10 in culture, I'll build it".

By rebalancing the wonders so that there are no terrible ones you make the fairly aimless and random build choices of the AI a lot more competitive with the min-maxing of a player.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 7, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Most of y'all likely know but a city that sits right on the tile between 2 bodies of water counts as a canal and opens the passage for your ships

Your movement won't show it but this ship can freely pass back and forth through the city and reach both sides of the ocean. It won't help you with 2 tile gaps but hey it's better than nothing

yeah It's great when you can manage this. Though it does restrict that city a little bit.

Phanatic posted:

Deck guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Ellwood

Vahakyla posted:

And simulating the disruption of coastal trading vessels, and arriving and departing shipping.

Yeah, makes sense.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

A naval reserve officer, Nishino commanded a merchant ship which sailed through the Santa Barbara Channel before the war. His ship had once stopped at the Ellwood Oil Field to take on a cargo of oil. Unfortunately, while walking to a welcoming ceremony, Nishino tripped and fell into a patch of prickly pear cactus (now below Fairway 11 of the Sandpiper Golf Course). A group of oil workers saw the Japanese officer having cactus spines pulled from his backside and began to laugh.[1][2] As a result, Nishino chose the oil field as the target for his deck gun. Most of the damage he inflicted was within 300 m (980 ft) of the spot he had fallen.[3]

And the AI's motives are as dumb and arbitrary as the guy who bombarded with his sub in the linked article! So immersive.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SHISHKABOB posted:

yeah It's great when you can manage this. Though it does restrict that city a little bit.

obviously if you're building that kind of city, it's for strategic reasons rather than it being a profitable location for a city. I'd treat it more like a military base, like all the ones in the Pacific or, indeed, the Panama Canal before the US turned that over, it's there solely to facilitate naval movement and you have judged that the advantages of that outweigh the cost to settle/defend the place

also on the belated subject of Australia not being aboriginal, I'm of the opinion that a civ/leader should represent that sovereign entity at that specific point in time rather than the weird sum totality of previous games, mostly because it clarifies things and leads to very interesting specific abilities. England With Victoria As A Face is vague to play as - you get 'they're good at boats i guess', specifically Victorian England has a much clearer vision and ought to play completely different than Elizabethan England or Churchill's England or Anglo-Saxon England. the natives of Australia never called it that anyway, and obviously weren't a united entity. here we're obviously playing The Modern Country Of Australia But Like 100-ish Years Ago and that's fine because they existed and are influential on the scale of say, Poland today

by the by I saw Australia coming mostly because it doesn't have a City-State for Sydney or so, I think for these intermittent single-civ DLCs they planned for that and didn't give CSes to represent, just like last time (Copenhagen wasn't a City-State in the original V, right?). Warsaw wasn't either. Good contenders for civs we might see in not-expansion DLC are therefore things like South Africa, Ethiopia, Mali/Songhai, Morocco, Austria, Babylon, Mongolia, Siam/Khmer, the Inca, MAYBE Malaysia and the Philippines, and possibly even something cool like Nigeria or Gran Colombia. On the flip side, I wouldn't expect Portugal, Argentina, the Maya, Canada, Carthage, the Netherlands, or Indonesia before an expansion

we shall see if those indeed happen! they might actually just stick to a bunch of alt leaders for their next releases.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I would be happy with more African civs to really fill out the Earth TSL map. Right now, Kongo AI rules the world on that map.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I would be happy with more African civs to really fill out the Earth TSL map. Right now, Kongo AI rules the world on that map.

Kush, Kerma, and Numidia are all good candidates.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm not an expert on African history or anything but I'm always a bit bemused that Ethiopia aren't a lock for Civ games.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What are the odds South Africa is the next African civ?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

#BringBackMorocco2k17

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone encounter this issue with CQUI?

Starting turn when I load up is fine but every turn after that happens. CQUI is the only mod I am running.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

Anyone encounter this issue with CQUI?

Starting turn when I load up is fine but every turn after that happens. CQUI is the only mod I am running.

Is that a lens error? Does it stay if you manually choose another lens?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gort posted:

The AI likely doesn't think beyond "This wonder is cultural and my leader has a 7/10 in culture, I'll build it".

By rebalancing the wonders so that there are no terrible ones you make the fairly aimless and random build choices of the AI a lot more competitive with the min-maxing of a player.

Pretty much this, the AI loves to prioritize the religious wonders and used to build lots of holy sites (this may have changed since the patch I haven't had enough post-patch games to be sure) so it actually helps them because the interaction between the redesigned religious wonders and holy sites is pretty good. It probably makes the game at least a little harder on higher difficulty levels where the AI tends to get most of the wonders even into the midgame. On the other hand it probably makes lower difficulty games where you can grab most of the wonders more of a stomp.

But either way, the decision-making process in regards to what the AI builds isn't very sophisticated. I think it's tied to the advisor tags for science/conquest/religion/etc. and their personal preferences.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Human Crouton posted:

Is that a lens error? Does it stay if you manually choose another lens?

Yea. Seems whenever I select a builder it changes. I have to go into the lens and toggle it on/off.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea. Seems whenever I select a builder it changes. I have to go into the lens and toggle it on/off.

I don't know how much you know about the CQUI mod, so I'm going to assume you know nothing so we don't have to go back and forth to get you your answers.

In CQUI there is a builder lens that should automatically activate when you select the builder. It should go away when you select any other unit.

If you select the lens in the lens menu, you will see a key that corresponds to what you are seeing on the screen.

If the lens persists after you select another unit, then it is a bug.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Purple is a tile with a resource to improve. Green can be improved without a resource (farm/mine/etc), and the darker the green, the bigger the benefit of improving. Red should already be improved or can't be. Makes it incredibly easy to spot where to drop your next improvement, especially in a big empire.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

There's some cool options too. I'd love to see the Mali Empire brought back (I believe they were in 4). Asksum Kingdom or Zimbabwe too. Maybe the Songhai Empire.

I wish there was more focus on the actual Civs. I want 50+ to choose from. I'm more than happy to pay and can't imagine they are that time consuming to put together. They should sell continent based Civ DLC. Get 5 new Africa Civs, South America Civs, etc. So many areas that are untapped. I want a bunch of cool rear end civs from all over the map from different time periods. Enough with loving Europe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Phuzun posted:

Purple is a tile with a resource to improve. Green can be improved without a resource (farm/mine/etc), and the darker the green, the bigger the benefit of improving. Red should already be improved or can't be. Makes it incredibly easy to spot where to drop your next improvement, especially in a big empire.

There also seems to be blue which is "woods next to river: place lumbermill here."

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

prefect posted:

What are the odds South Africa is the next African civ?

Decent, really, especially if they're fine with Australia and thus willing to be decidedly modern in who they pick these days. Nelson Mandela's an iconic figure world-wide that would sell pretty well, and beyond that all I can see Firaxis doing is going back to the ones they've done before (especially the Zulu/Mali). Though I wouldn't have expected Morocco out of them, so that opens up the likes of Nigeria and maybe the Kilwa Sultanate or something cool like that.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I'm betting Persia will be the next civ. I think it's in the game files.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Decent, really, especially if they're fine with Australia and thus willing to be decidedly modern in who they pick these days. Nelson Mandela's an iconic figure world-wide that would sell pretty well, and beyond that all I can see Firaxis doing is going back to the ones they've done before (especially the Zulu/Mali). Though I wouldn't have expected Morocco out of them, so that opens up the likes of Nigeria and maybe the Kilwa Sultanate or something cool like that.

It bothers me somewhat when they put Mali or Zulu in since they're both relatively unimportant but famous in the west. It is weird to me that they've not had Ethiopia though!

quote:

I'm betting Persia will be the next civ. I think it's in the game files.
Persia and Macedonia. A weird choice for the latter there unless it's in a specific scenario, sort of like having a third Greek leader.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

Persia and Macedonia. A weird choice for the latter there unless it's in a specific scenario, sort of like having a third Greek leader.

I mean, it was pretty odd in the first place to have two Greek leaders and have neither be Alexander the Great. He's been kind of a Civ staple.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Magil Zeal posted:

I mean, it was pretty odd in the first place to have two Greek leaders and have neither be Alexander the Great. He's been kind of a Civ staple.

:ssh: Alexander's Macedonian, though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aerdan posted:

:ssh: Alexander's Macedonian, though.

Don't say that to his face lol

At least I think. I can't remember what he thought about macedonia as "greek". I know that greeks thought of macedonia as like, hillbillies on the outskirts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magil Zeal posted:

I think that Athens and Sparta were the perfect two Greek cities to use. I just wish they felt a little more distinct. Sparta gets, what, a little culture for killing enemies? Kind of underwhelming.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Magil Zeal posted:

That's why it's like having a third greek leader. It's got to be Philip or Alexander and that's a really strange thing to do. It's like if they had Germany and also Bavaria or the United Kingdom and also Scotland.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taear posted:

That's why it's like having a third greek leader. It's got to be Philip or Alexander and that's a really strange thing to do. It's like if they had Germany and also Bavaria or the United Kingdom and also Scotland.

is there a the south shall rise again mod yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing about the greeks is that the USA and England both have two unique units, one of which that says "when X is this is [the civ]'s leader". Implying that you could have a different leader for that civ, and get a different unique unit. But the greeks get screwed out of that deal.