Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's a weird thing to hope for considering traditionally on elder scrolls games the main stories are pretty weak and easily ignorable anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

scarycave posted:

Hello, I am the arch mage, and I would like to join your band of lowly thieves.

"Well, your magic could come in useful..."

"Oh no I can't do any magic"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I really hope the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout game does not have a main storyline. Just give me an open world with more fleshed out factions/side quests.

Haha oh man, after the success of fallout 4 you think they'll back down from their more story less side content fixation?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TGLT posted:

I finally started playing Dishonored. It's very fun!

Holy poo poo the voice acting is loving garbage and the story has zero subtlety. The setting's kind of interesting but every one of its characters, except maybe the Outsider sort of, is loving garbage. I was worried about getting spoiled on some things, but on the one hand they don't really hide any of that poo poo and on the other hand I do not care about any of these people.
You're in luck!

They got rid of that guy for 2 in favour of having the Penguin do an Outsider impression!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Mann posted:

And when games do have a lot of optional content people still complain because they missed it and then weren't aware that it was there in the first place. Like the backlash against SUPERHOT being "only two hours long" because they didn't bother playing any of the tons of extra modes that the story mode was basically training for. Or that the ending of Firewatch was terrible because it made no sense and came out of nowhere because they didn't bother to explore and find all the clues. Or missing out on the entire final act of Undertale because they murdered just a few people.
All of those things sound like bad design though and people would be right to complain?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hated the twist that some guy in Human Revolution was evil when he does a bad thing because I barely knew who he was before that point as I did not read every book I found.
Human Revolution is especially bad since it expects you to explore and discover this extra plot stuff, but also it totally ignores it when you do. So you find something out from an email or PDA and then two hours later it comes up in a cutscene and Adam is shocked and appalled by this new information (that he already knew).

Sunswipe posted:

I've seen people complain about New Vegas cutting you off from quests as a result of your faction choices because it means they can't see everything on one playthrough. Maybe it's just because I'm a cheap bastard, but I always figured it was a good thing if a game had more than one run's content in it.
The problem is that the new content you get on a second playthrough is a small fraction of the total game, so in order to see everything once you have to see most of it twice (or more). It's not unreasonable to want to get to play all of the game once rather than either missing bits or having to redo bits.

scarycave posted:

Hello, I am the arch mage, and I would like to join your band of lowly thieves.

Yardbomb posted:

It also just ends up feeling kind of dumb a lot of the time in my opinion. "I'm the grandmaster lord poobah of EVERY clan, institution, circle, guild, cabal and faction of this whole land!"
That's not so much a problem with the basic concept of having all the content available in a single playthrough as it is with the specific "story" of that game. You're a super magic man who can do everything but has very little narrative motivation to do anything. You do it because it's a game and it's fun, but that's why the player does it, not the character.

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I really hope the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout game does not have a main storyline. Just give me an open world with more fleshed out factions/side quests.
This is how I feel about every RPG (and non-linear shooter). Shadowrun, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, etc. the side quests are the actually fun and interesting bits, the main plot is just what you do when those run out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nuebot posted:

Haha oh man, after the success of fallout 4 you think they'll back down from their more story less side content fixation?

I mean "success" for sales, but the most loud and constant complaint I saw both here and elsewhere was "Holy poo poo the main story is bad, the main character voice acting is bad, I don't care about Shaun"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
fallout 4 is heavy rain except the rain is irradiated and it turns out the oragami killer was your son the whole time

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tiggum posted:

All of those things sound like bad design though and people would be right to complain?

So I know someone's going to point out who I'm replying to, but I just want to make sure I get this right: walking around and exploring in the (mostly) super-chill game about walking around and exploring is a bad design decision.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I mean "success" for sales, but the most loud and constant complaint I saw both here and elsewhere was "Holy poo poo the main story is bad, the main character voice acting is bad, I don't care about Shaun"

I have absolutely zero confidence they will listen to a single criticism about the game because it sold well, therefore this is what people want.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

I have absolutely zero confidence they will listen to a single criticism about the game because it sold well, therefore this is what people want.

basically this. they make money no matter what they do, so they'll just keep doing what they know will sell.

same with rockstar.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It must be pretty awesome to work at Bethesda and essentially have complete creative freedom because the huge sales of previous games give you carte blanche. Fallout 4 sometimes feels like they were just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what management would let them get away with.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fallout 4 was ridiculously popular and well-liked just about everywhere on the internet that normal people go, just like Skyrim and Fallout 3 and Oblivion. It's time to accept that you haven't been Bethesda's target audience for over a decade and move on.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Fallout 4 was ridiculously popular and well-liked just about everywhere on the internet that normal people go, just like Skyrim and Fallout 3 and Oblivion. It's time to accept that you haven't been Bethesda's target audience for over a decade and move on.

moving on from bad video games is basically the exact opposite thing this thread is about

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've always thought that anyone who saw the E3 reveal of Fallout 4 and still bought it has no right to complain.

Tiggum posted:

The problem is that the new content you get on a second playthrough is a small fraction of the total game, so in order to see everything once you have to see most of it twice (or more). It's not unreasonable to want to get to play all of the game once rather than either missing bits or having to redo bits.

You don't have to do anything, either you like the game enough to play it through twice in which case you get a chance to see new stuff you missed before, or you don't like it and it doesn't matter that you're missing out on content because you don't like the content.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

That's basically what I just said :shrug:. They're not going to change what makes them money, there's no reason to.

Brother Entropy posted:

moving on from bad video games is basically the exact opposite thing this thread is about

So I recently convinced my friend to play through all of Deadly Premonition this weekend. The PC port is extra bad and plot related cutscenes would just seize up every like, half hour requiring a complete PC reboot to play the game again. How is it possible for a port to go so bad?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

Well-liked ultimately, even ribbit and other "normal people" spaces still really often said the main story was a flaming pile and that the main character VA was really inconsistent or bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inco posted:

So I know someone's going to point out who I'm replying to, but I just want to make sure I get this right: walking around and exploring in the (mostly) super-chill game about walking around and exploring is a bad design decision.
I don't know what you're talking about. I assume you're referring to Firewatch, but all I know about that game is what Guy Mann said about it, and the way he described it made it sound like it was done really badly, ie. you can easily miss a bunch of optional stuff and then the ending makes no sense. If that's how it is, that's bad writing.

2house2fly posted:

You don't have to do anything, either you like the game enough to play it through twice in which case you get a chance to see new stuff you missed before, or you don't like it and it doesn't matter that you're missing out on content because you don't like the content.
Or, I liked the game enough to want to play 100% of it once, but not enough to want to play 90% of it twice. Or I liked it enough to want to play 100% of it twice, but not enough to play 90% of it four times. How is this hard to understand?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I assume you're referring to Firewatch, but all I know about that game is what Guy Mann said about it, and the way he described it made it sound like it was done really badly, ie. you can easily miss a bunch of optional stuff and then the ending makes no sense. If that's how it is, that's bad writing.

You can't miss anything vital, and the ending makes perfect sense, it just underwhelmed some people compared to the tone the game built up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You're in luck!

They got rid of that guy for 2 in favour of having the Penguin do an Outsider impression!

Oh good. Well, is he still a deity that just feels like a really powerful stoner? I can really appreciate his "I dunno gently caress it let's have fun with this" attitude.

Nuebot posted:

So I recently convinced my friend to play through all of Deadly Premonition this weekend. The PC port is extra bad and plot related cutscenes would just seize up every like, half hour requiring a complete PC reboot to play the game again. How is it possible for a port to go so bad?

RE4's first PC port had no mouse control for aiming. There are further depths still that a port could fall to. Although RE4 never had an issue where quitting in the middle of some chapters rendered the game unfinishable.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

TGLT posted:

Oh good. Well, is he still a deity that just feels like a really powerful stoner? I can really appreciate his "I dunno gently caress it let's have fun with this" attitude.

The Outsider really was the best character in Dishonored 1. They nailed "god who is bored out of his loving mind". Like when he mocks the people who worship him in hopes of gaining power, because he'll just bless whoever, as long as they're not boring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TGLT posted:

RE4's first PC port had no mouse control for aiming. There are further depths still that a port could fall to. Although RE4 never had an issue where quitting in the middle of some chapters rendered the game unfinishable.

I think that issue wasn't a port one, but a native feature of deadly premonition.

But here's a new one. There's a fishing minigame, the only sign that you have a fish is your controller vibrating. The game doesn't have vibration support for a gamepad. If you're playing with keyboard and mouse you don't get vibration either. The fishing minigame becomes hell.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Schubalts posted:

The Outsider really was the best character in Dishonored 1. They nailed "god who is bored out of his loving mind". Like when he mocks the people who worship him in hopes of gaining power, because he'll just bless whoever, as long as they're not boring.

He's also a god for a dying race in a dying world. Which explains his "gently caress it" attitude towards loving with humans, and his very bleak enjoyment of their pain. I was bummed in Dishonered 2 that they made all of this a lot more explicit rather than implied.

I also really liked Cecelia, the redhead servant in the Hounds Pit Pub, even though she's an incredibly minor character. She's kind and under-appreciated and saves your rear end later on.

Also Anton Sokolov was a pretty great take on the mad scientist renaissance man.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my biggest issue with this berserk game is the playable characters, or lack thereof. Before it came out there was a lot of excitement of being able to play as some of the non-main characters but the only characters other than the main cast you play as are Judau, the guy who taught Guts how to throw knives and dies during the eclipse. And two apostles, Zodd of course which is great and inexplicably Wyald. The ape man I don't think anyone even remembers exists. It's kind of a bummer I guess, largely because there's no real reason to play as anyone but guts. Also, the Skull Knight isn't playable and that's just really disappointing. They even gave guts his sword for a single stage but you can't select that specific costume for any other level in the game because that would be too cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Or, I liked the game enough to want to play 100% of it once, but not enough to want to play 90% of it twice. Or I liked it enough to want to play 100% of it twice, but not enough to play 90% of it four times. How is this hard to understand?

Then you'll miss out on 10% of the content, which isn't really a problem.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Forget it, 2house2fly, it's Tiggumtown.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

It's not really a problem in the same way that wanting to play a video game and not being able to isn't really a problem. In the context of video games problems, it's a problem.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

The combat in Technomancer feels really janky to me

It's janky. It's an incremental improvement over Bound By Flame, which was an incremental improvement of Mars: War Logs, but yeah, still janky as hell.

That said, it feels loving awesome coming off of an hour of walking from point A to point B and back again. I love the setting and the concept and the game is beautiful for a budget title, but hoo drat is the constant backtracking annoying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

Forget it, 2house2fly, it's Tiggumtown.

What would happen is tiggums got in an argument with misterbibs? :ohdear:

Competitive timeout drags csgo down for me. I kinda get that it's there to prevent smurfs or something, but sometimes I want to shoot mans, and the other game modes aren't as good as competitive.

Stops me from playing too much I guess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's not really a problem in the same way that wanting to play a video game and not being able to isn't really a problem. In the context of video games problems, it's a problem.

No it isn't.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

if a game was designed for multiple playthroughs, then why does it matter if you're locked out of content because of choices you made?

Brother Entropy posted:

kinda.

I chose to remake this thread over the other one bc I think everyone puts more effort into explaining why they don't like the thing that drags their experience down rather than going "Game X that just came out is basically Little Things: The Game"

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Yardbomb posted:

"Holy poo poo the main story is bad, the main character voice acting is bad, I don't care about Shaun"

There's no option to tell Shaun that you love Dogmeat more than him, and that's terrible.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

There's no option to tell Shaun that you love Dogmeat more than him, and that's terrible.

HATE SHAUN

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a Heavy Rain-inspired mod that changes all the player's dialogue to "SHAUN!"?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Metro 2033 has a bizarre morality system that you basically need to use a walkthrough for to get the good ending.

Examples include:

Listening to plumbing: good.
Smoke a hookah: good.
Take off your gas mask while hallucinating: good.

Talking to two specific guys more than once: evil.
Shoot a wall or slash the air while a dude is talking: evil.
Take one specific bullet near a specific nondescript guy: evil (it counts as stealing, unlike any other bullet in the game).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Metro 2033 has a bizarre morality system that you basically need to use a walkthrough for to get the good ending.

Examples include:

Listening to plumbing: good.
Smoke a hookah: good.
Take off your gas mask while hallucinating: good.

Talking to two specific guys more than once: evil.
Shoot a wall or slash the air while a dude is talking: evil.
Take one specific bullet near a specific nondescript guy: evil (it counts as stealing, unlike any other bullet in the game).
I think they're trying to go for it being more like your understanding/comfort in the world, whether the character is at peace with the circumstances of his life or angry at the world - a sort of "psychic health" thing - but yeah it's completely bonkers

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OutOfPrint posted:

It's janky. It's an incremental improvement over Bound By Flame, which was an incremental improvement of Mars: War Logs, but yeah, still janky as hell.

That said, it feels loving awesome coming off of an hour of walking from point A to point B and back again. I love the setting and the concept and the game is beautiful for a budget title, but hoo drat is the constant backtracking annoying.

The combat is insanely lethal. It's too easy to end up stunlocked and dead in like two seconds. Still fun, but occasionally frustrating.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The penultimate fight in Arkham Asylum is awful and the reason I've never finished the game, unlike City which I did 3 times. Two bull-fight mini-bosses and a ton of respawning mooks in a hall too small to accommodate you all with a camera as helpful as the corpse of Batman's mother.

Thankfully I only took a few attempts at that but it was still annoying. One failure was definitely due to being steam rolled by one titan while I was attempting to subdue the other and being unable to see it coming because of the camera.

What really got me was the elevator titan fight (one titan with a load of mooks). Took me loving loads of attempts and I think 2 or 3 ended with me literally dying to the last mook. It was one of those times where a load of things come together to screw me over. It was on hard mode and I didn't get the slightest bit reliable at fighting mooks without getting hit until I did the challenges after I had already completed the game. Add in seemingly unresponsive counters, the titan occasionally inexplicably getting a homing running attack, and Batman not dodging in the direction I wanted him to and it was a recipe for disaster. Then again, it would have been over hours earlier if the first time I actually beat the titan and the few people left the elevator hadn't opened and released a new crowd unexpectedly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think they're trying to go for it being more like your understanding/comfort in the world, whether the character is at peace with the circumstances of his life or angry at the world - a sort of "psychic health" thing - but yeah it's completely bonkers

This is it. It comes across as more of an enlightenment thing and how much you are invested in the world around you than a morality system.

IIRC the bullet you mentioned is in a guitarist's donation jar, which you would have noticed if you weren't looking at it so abstractly, so I'd say the system makes perfect thematic sense in how it worked out here. :v: For those unaware, at the end of metro 2033, you launch missiles to destroy a race of creatures which have been presented as the enemy throughout the game. If you have done enough "enlightened" things over the course of the game (listening to NPCs in metro stations, giving to beggars, etc) then you have the option not to do this and let them live instead. This option is not made very explicit and the game never points any of this out--it's quite subtle, and thematically makes perfect sense because you would only realize that the creatures aren't your enemies if you were paying attention and were invested in the world around you.

What drags metro last light down is that they took the same idea but made it way less subtle, where a dark one child with an annoying voice follows you around for the last third of the game and says "you did good/bad thing" after each event. I don't even agree with many of last light's decisions here, as I think they have a lot of grey area and probably shouldn't count for this at all. That said, they do still make some thematic sense, because instead of giving you a choice, they directly decide what ending you get. If you have been merciful (even when, I would argue, it makes sense not to show mercy) then the dark one comes back during the climax and saves you, because you taught it mercy. If not, it does not come back for you and the game ends with you dying in a suicide explosion.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I disliked the Metro games' morality/ending-choosing-system if only because you have to absolutely commit to it if you want the more optimistic endings. Like I was actually pursuing it in the sequel, but because I didn't completely non-lethal like two encounters (and nonlethal is surprisingly difficult to do actually since you have to basically ghost through, especially in the first game!) I got the 'bad' ending. And while people tend to hate the 'chaos' system in the Dishonored games, I really liked it because you didn't have to do 95% of the game in a specific playstyle for the game to recognize it.

In metro 1, the morality system basically felt like an easter egg almost, and I kinda felt like they unnecessarily kept that mindset for the sequel even if that game did point out if you did good things more obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I hate that loving kid in metro 2033