Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't understand why Nintendo didn't make a console that's got
  • more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
Really that just seems dumb to me. Oh, and also
  • cheaper
What I'm trying to say is that

I know this post is taking the piss out of the armchair Nintendo Shareholders here, but bolded for emphasis. I love my Switch, but if it had been a penny more expensive than $300, I would have bought the Wii U version of BotW and waited until summer.

If you want your device to be cheap, then it's going to sacrifice things like battery life and power.
"But deadly_pudding, I can get a PS4 for $250" Yes, and it's like 5x the size and power needs of a Switch and doesn't have a built-in screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

deadly_pudding posted:

I know this post is taking the piss out of the armchair Nintendo Shareholders here, but bolded for emphasis. I love my Switch, but if it had been a penny more expensive than $300, I would have bought the Wii U version of BotW and waited until summer.

If you want your device to be cheap, then it's going to sacrifice things like battery life and power.
"But deadly_pudding, I can get a PS4 for $250" Yes, and it's like 5x the size and power needs of a Switch and doesn't have a built-in screen.

Also the PS4 gets terrible battery life

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, a Mario Kart port isn't going to matter to anyone who isn't trying to justify the switch they bought in March

I didn't have it on Wii U so I am interested in playing what has been called the best Mario Kart :)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nephzinho posted:

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.

*That's 70 shrines with 3 areas of the map I haven't even been to, with my map marked up with "hey that looks interesting" features all over the place still. I've never had so much trouble trying to decide what to do in a game (and have relegated that duty to the partner).

I felt the same way about Mario Kart 8, it was just way too perfect way to gorgeous way too grand. Basically the end of Mario Cart as best as I could imagine it. But low and behold now we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Macintosh HD posted:

Also the PS4 gets terrible battery life

I considered typing a statement about a hypothetical crazy person who might try to build a "portable PS4 bag" to take on an airplane, but I've only ever heard of that happening with the Wii U because of the gamepad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reading about the sales numbers on the Switch reminded me of something else...The Vita launch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2011/12/29/sony-in-big-trouble-with-ps-vita/

Everyone who wanted one got one right in the first couple days after launch then sales dropped off. Nintendo sold about 10,000 more units than Vita did for a similar time period after launch. It might not have the same memory card issue (though $80 for a real controller replaces that,) but kind of interesting in comparison.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've seen the Wii U being played at airports a few times. 3DSes everywhere. Switch only made sense.

Nintendo just needs to release a first party licensed power pack and they will make bank.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, a Mario Kart port isn't going to matter to anyone who isn't trying to justify the switch they bought in March

It's not a binary "this will sell systems/this won't sell systems" lever. Having a great, well received game come out for a shiny new console that already has one killer app and some very enticing features is a good thing and will push people towards buying one.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Everyone was like "man what do they even do after Mario Galaxy" until Mario Odyssey got revealed

Have faith in Nintendo, friends

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't understand why Nintendo didn't make a console that's got
  • better battery time

What handheld gaming device has better battery life? The Vita didn't until the slim model came out. The 3DS didn't until the N3DS/XL. 3-6 hours with wifi and brightness cranked is about in-line with gaming devices. The Shield portable was around 6 without the brightness cranked for games being played locally (obviously streaming from a PC had longer battery life). And no other gaming device has the power that the Switch has. The closest is the Shield portable and they are about equal battery life if you compared similar graphically intensive games.

Do I wish it had a longer battery life? gently caress yes. But with nothing else to compare it to with longer battery life, I am not really complaining. Luckily I haven't taken it on a road trip or a plane, so I haven't run into any battery issues yet, though my tune may be different if I did. I haven't had to turn brightness above 50%, usually at 0% when playing in the dark at night or 30-50% when playing in the day even next to an open window. So real world battery life is acceptable based on other handhelds.

It has its problems with the joycon, DOA units, screen scratching from the dock and that annoying hum over headphones (I thought it was the fan, but think it is the screen because lighter colors like lots of white on the screen changes the hum intensity/frequency).

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elmon posted:

Is d5 bad? Or were people just not buying it.
Nah, it's good. I figure everyone who likes the series and got a Switch just has it on PS4 already. It is after all a pretty niche title.
I'll get it once I get the console this summer. Handheld Disgaea owns.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Everyone was like "man what do they even do after Mario Galaxy" until Mario Odyssey got revealed

What's the New Donk City of Zelda?

New Gand Land?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I want them to make another game with the same engine and minor quality of life improvements with a different thematic tack, a la majora's mask

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tender Bender posted:

Splatoon 2 is a new game, Mario Kart is more than just a port, and they are not the only upcoming games. There's no reason to read your posts when you start off rambling nonsense like that.

Splatoon 2 offers copy maps and a couple new maps. The only other additions are the following (including obvious graphical improvements)

1) Press "X" to access the map
2) Local multiplayer
3) 1 new weapon type: Splat Dualies
4) New specials for existing weapons from the first game
5) New music.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadly_pudding posted:

Why?

It's very unlikely that the console will drop in price. They'll also not likely make any hardware revisions to the thing within that time. Your first party games are not going to drop in price either, Zelda will still be $60.

If you're going to buy the system eventually within the first year, it's like saying "Well, I am not going to get lunch at noon, I'm going to wait until 3pm to have lunch, and be thinking about eating until then and pay the same price for the same meal!"

Saying you're going to wait for the price drop? Sure, I see that, but there is nothing to gain by waiting until Summer at this point. MAYBE around Christmas we'll see a holiday bundle, and you'll say $50-$60 on a game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Splatoon 2 offers copy maps and a couple new maps. The only other additions are the following:

2) Local multiplayer
5) New music.

This is false.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tender Bender posted:

This is false.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/splatoon-2-heres-whats-new

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
This thread is the new Wii U thread, in that it sucks.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Every time I see people disappointed by battery life I'm reminded of nuclear batteries which provide a heckdamnload of energy for a very long period of time, but absolutely can not be disposed of in a garbage dump and are therefore illegal for purposes related to mass production and have been for years.

People will throw nuclear waste into their garbage under their sink, given the chance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8297934.stm

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Switch is gonna have a pretty respectable line-up by this fall, right around the time they make their big Christmas marketing push. The console itself has way more appeal than the WiiU ever did, and I've seen a lot of excitement for it. I think they'll be okay, but I also don't think they'll replace the 3DS with it altogether until a Monster Hunter and/or Pokemon Stars convince the handheld peeps to make the switch en masse. I can't imagine them releasing a 3DS successor as things stand, that'd be pretty dumb.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, the best MK game gets improved with bringing back multiple items, added battle system of old, and is now portable? Mario Kart is a system seller on its own. Many people did not buy the WiiU but love Mario Kart, so it will sell Switch consoles and lots of people are excited for it. People will see the console + tabletop + handheld modes for Mario Kart (especially 3DS owners who skipped the WiiU), and will want to get it.

I know I can't wait even though I have MK8 on the WiiU. I am fine with just Zelda, Blaster Master, Snipperclips and Fast RMX (and maybe I am Setsuna since I have been eyeing that since it came out on other consoles) until Splatoon2 comes out, I am sure those would take up months of my time considering the little amount of gaming time I have these days. However, I will definitely drop money on buying MK8 Deluxe anyway.

Ya, definitely call out people who blindly defend Nintendo and its hardware issues and business decisions that boggle the mind. However, saying no one cares about Mario Kart is ridiculous. It comes off as just wanting to trash Nintendo for no reason. Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda and Pokemon are all system sellers. Maybe Metroid too if they put some effort into it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That article is discussing the Splatoon 2 multiplayer demo, not the completed full retail game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Splatoon 2 offers copy maps and a couple new maps. The only other additions are the following (including obvious graphical improvements)

2) Local multiplayer
5) New music.

New COD/Battlefield/Madden games never sell well....

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I look forward to buying a Switch in the future since I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Super NES. Even if some of the games coming out are just enhanced ports, that is fine with me because it will be my first time playing them.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

That article is discussing the Splatoon 2 multiplayer demo, not the completed full retail game.

Currently, that is all that is made available (Facts) of the differences. Even Nintendo only has the same listed on their site.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/splatoon-2-switch

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Astro7x posted:

Why?

It's very unlikely that the console will drop in price. They'll also not likely make any hardware revisions to the thing within that time. Your first party games are not going to drop in price either, Zelda will still be $60.

If you're going to buy the system eventually within the first year, it's like saying "Well, I am not going to get lunch at noon, I'm going to wait until 3pm to have lunch, and be thinking about eating until then and pay the same price for the same meal!"

Saying you're going to wait for the price drop? Sure, I see that, but there is nothing to gain by waiting until Summer at this point. MAYBE around Christmas we'll see a holiday bundle, and you'll say $50-$60 on a game.

Mostly just library concerns. I'm gonna run out of Zelda juice in about 2 weeks, and then I'll probably whip through Shovel Knight and Blaster Master before going back to PC games until Puyo Puyo Tetris comes out.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

Every time I see people disappointed by battery life I'm reminded of nuclear batteries which provide a heckdamnload of energy for a very long period of time, but absolutely can not be disposed of in a garbage dump and are therefore illegal for purposes related to mass production and have been for years.

People will throw nuclear waste into their garbage under their sink, given the chance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8297934.stm

whats the cost of a nuclear battery?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

FireMrshlBill posted:

New COD/Battlefield/Madden games never sell well....

I am not saying it isn't going to sell. I am sure it will. I am sure it will be a fun and fantastic game just like the original. That statement was made in contrary to someone saying it was a brand new game (It isn't. It's a port with added features listed in my post) I do disagree it will be a system seller. It will sell into the base.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With something like Shovel Knight you can get like 8 hours, by the way. People were wondering how less intensive games performed, ArsTechnica said Shovel Knight went 8 hours on low brightness. I suspect things like that Mountain game by the Towerfall guy, Towerfall, and that popular farming sim game will have similar battery life. 8 hours for these kinds of games is pretty drat good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

Reading about the sales numbers on the Switch reminded me of something else...The Vita launch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2011/12/29/sony-in-big-trouble-with-ps-vita/

Everyone who wanted one got one right in the first couple days after launch then sales dropped off. Nintendo sold about 10,000 more units than Vita did for a similar time period after launch. It might not have the same memory card issue (though $80 for a real controller replaces that,) but kind of interesting in comparison.

To be fair, Nintendo seems to want to release more then three first party games for the system so it already has a advantage over the Vita. And two of those first party Sony games got a PS4 port after a while, so only Uncharted: Golden Abyss remains the only exclusive Sony game on the system.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Cerepol posted:

whats the cost of a nuclear battery?

What happens when electrons lose their energy?

They get Bohr'ed.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

Switch is gonna have a pretty respectable line-up by this fall, right around the time they make their big Christmas marketing push. The console itself has way more appeal than the WiiU ever did, and I've seen a lot of excitement for it. I think they'll be okay, but I also don't think they'll replace the 3DS with it altogether until a Monster Hunter and/or Pokemon Stars convince the handheld peeps to make the switch en masse. I can't imagine them releasing a 3DS successor as things stand, that'd be pretty dumb.

Agreed, it definitely has more potential than the WiiU, but they need to fix the joycon and push games out to maintain interest/hype. It will do better than the WiiU either way.

I don't see it replacing the 3DS unless they can make a smaller, handheld only, lower res screen version with permanent controls attached for cheaper ($150-$200). I think that would be ok, as 3D is interesting and became very usable with the N3DS/XL release, but not necessary. Also, dual screens is cool for having maps pulled up or inventory, however, people are used to other consoles and PC having just 1 screen and would adapt to a single screen handheld.

Basically, even though the Switch is portable, I don't see it knocking out their handheld market. I dunno, I just can't see as many people traveling with that as they would a 2DS/3DS/XL. Or an 8 year old sitting in the back of the car for hours playing it unless they detach the controllers and hang the console itself on the back of the headrest in front of them. Or parents spending $300 on each kid like they do with the $99 2DS.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jokes_on_them_i_was_only_pretending.jpg

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

deadly_pudding posted:

Mostly just library concerns. I'm gonna run out of Zelda juice in about 2 weeks, and then I'll probably whip through Shovel Knight and Blaster Master before going back to PC games until Puyo Puyo Tetris comes out.

Once again, another thing that is hurting the switch, pricing models.

Why is this $39 on the switch, yet $29 on the same release day for PS4.

It's one point I didn't bring up. Switch users are getting price gouged for the same game but cheaper across all other platforms. For zero reason. (Same goes with the upcoming Ultra Street Fighter 2)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Currently, that is all that is made available (Facts) of the differences. Even Nintendo only has the same listed on their site.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/splatoon-2-switch

The article didn't mention the new campaign, as well as anything else that the USGamer writer didn't observe while playing the demo at this event. I'd recommend consulting another source closer to release instead of relying on that list if you're on the fence about a purchase.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Utnayan posted:

It's one point I didn't bring up. Switch users are getting price gouged for the same game but cheaper across all other platforms. For zero reason. (Same goes with the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2)

It's $29 on the eshop. $39 physical version comes with keychains.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 8, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Utnayan posted:

It's one point I didn't bring up. Switch users are getting price gouged for the same game but cheaper across all other platforms. For zero reason. (Same goes with the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2)

Both PS4 and Switch are $29.99 digitally, and the Switch gets a bonus physical version with some extra gimmicks for $39.99

Rirse posted:

To be fair, Nintendo seems to want to release more then three first party games for the system so it already has a advantage over the Vita. And two of those first party Sony games got a PS4 port after a while, so only Uncharted: Golden Abyss remains the only exclusive Sony game on the system.

Uhhhh Golden Abyss isn't the only Sony-made exclusive left on Vita.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

irlZaphod posted:

Apparently the Switch sold 105k units in France during its first week. In comparison with the Wii, that sold 95k in its first week there. Also BOTW has about a 90% attach rate, unsurprisingly.

I want the Switch to be a success as much as anybody, but I am skeptical of these "most first week sales ever" numbers.

Maybe they just reflect Nintendo having produced more units for release week than for previous consoles, rather than reflecting more total demand than ever before.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's like baseball spring training stats. Good numbers aren't necessarily a useful predictor, but they're certainly not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

I am not saying it isn't going to sell. I am sure it will. I am sure it will be a fun and fantastic game just like the original. That statement was made in contrary to someone saying it was a brand new game (It isn't. It's a port with added features listed in my post) I do disagree it will be a system seller. It will sell into the base.

Oh ok, but I mean to also point out the correlation to those annual installment multiplayer heavy games. Many are barely improvements other than re-screens or slight mechanic changes. Gameplay is largely the same with just scenery and gun reskins to make them time period appropriate. So just as many or less improvements compared to Splatoon2 over Splatoon1, and they are new games.

Like I said above, I believe there will be a jump in Switch sales with it based on its timing (more games on the system with Zelda and MK8, teens/college kids having summer job money, if they sell bundles with new joycon colors). Nothing like the launch or holiday sales, but a bump nonetheless compared to the post MK8 lull that will happen.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2017

• Locked thread