Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People seem to like him in horror movie The Guest. He's also playing Beast in the Hermione BatB thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Escobarbarian posted:

People seem to like him in horror movie The Guest. He's also playing Beast in the Hermione BatB thing.

That's really surprising, he must be like 99% CGI.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I still can't believe that's Matthew Crawley. He just looks like he aged backwards

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

algebra testes posted:

He never had a dog.

lokipunk posted:

Oh man the dog's name is king.

Don't forget, in his first appearance, the World's Angriest Boy tries to kill the dog, who we now know is one of David's fake memories. Plus, Yellow Eyes shows up right as Melanie is getting to the end of the World's Angriest Boy book and keeps her from finishing it.

My guess is World's Angriest Boy is a defense mechanism. The end of the book shows WAB putting right all the things he destroyed/killed in the beginning. Yellow Eyes doesn't want anyone to know, because then they might start putting things together. As long as everyone digging around in David's head is distracted by the big scary looking WAB, they're not looking too closely at Yellow Eyes.

It would also answer the question of what kind of parents read their child a book like 'The World's Angriest Boy in the World'. Answer: the kind of parents who aren't afraid to combine a scary story and a optimistic story. Just like the opening monologue for the last episode...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Having never seen Parks & Rec or anything else Aubrey Plaza has been in, I never understood people's (goons') obsession with her. Now I get it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Plaza's always had a weird charisma to her, it's awesome that Hawley's bringing it out 100% and making it extra creepy.

Also: don't know if this has already been theorized but since Oliver seems to be associated with ice and was probably the team's Iceman before he got his rear end kicked to the astral plane, does that mean Melanie is the team's pyro (who we've only seen off-screen when they rescued David)?

Because I would love that.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I just assumed his body was frozen to keep him alive, which is why he said that he can't do anything about the cold.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That's more likely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I just assumed his body was frozen to keep him alive, which is why he said that he can't do anything about the cold.

Yeah, that was my impression as well. The ice was a manifestation of his body being frozen.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

His power probably has something to do with astral projection or telepathy because I dont know how else you get stuck there?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I'm very tempted to just start posting FotC videos, but I'll restrain myself.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

Having never seen Parks & Rec or anything else Aubrey Plaza has been in, I never understood people's (goons') obsession with her. Now I get it.

Life After Beth is pretty good too.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Plaza's always had a weird charisma to her, it's awesome that Hawley's bringing it out 100% and making it extra creepy.

Also: don't know if this has already been theorized but since Oliver seems to be associated with ice and was probably the team's Iceman before he got his rear end kicked to the astral plane, does that mean Melanie is the team's pyro (who we've only seen off-screen when they rescued David)?

Because I would love that.

Probably explains the reason why she was not allowed to touch him. The moment she touches him and all ice stasis field would melt.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

awesomepanda posted:

Probably explains the reason why she was not allowed to touch him. The moment she touches him and all ice stasis field would melt.

I figured it had more with touching something that cold with bare skin was probably a bad idea.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want Morph to show up in one episode and get killed immediately.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm really impressed at how unsettling and creepy this show made the line about not having a dog. Such an innocent statement out of context, but you hear it in this and go "oh poo poo". And it's a nice change to have the shady bad guy organization fighting the superpower people being quite competent at it as opposed to just being there to show off powers by getting whacked. I guess there was a bit of that in the forest though. Until they had the idea of fighting her all at once.

Also really visually impressive this episode. The whole astral plane bit of course but also the camera shenanigans. And Diver Man's neat ice fortress. I think there was a shot in there with a huge yellow eye monster face staring in, that one was cool.

Finally, this show surprises me with the end every time. It always comes unexpectedly and I go "holy poo poo has it been an hour already". And it's one of those ones that makes me think a lot and have a lot to say about. It's really neat and I'm glad I remembered to watch it,

jofi
Jun 16, 2014
I haven't seen this possibility mentioned, and I'm not saying that it's likely to go this way, but given that the memory of David meeting The World's Angriest Boy takes place during Halloween, that occurrence of him COULD actually be a real boy. As in a kid dressing up in a scary-rear end giant head to look like a creepy children's book character for Halloween. Which would of course freak out little David to no end as he's already scared of the character. In that scenario, I'm thinking maybe it could turn out that the kid is Benny and it's how David first meets this future bad influence running buddy, and that King/The Devil With the Yellow Eyes led him there to gently caress with him.

(Edit: Upon re-watching the scene, the encounter starts off with TWAB as a painting on a wall that comes to life. Which speaks against the option that it's a real kid, but doesn't necessarily rule it out given that it could just be that first part of the memory that's contaminated.)

Something else entirely: In Fargo, Noah Hawley used the tear-jerking song "Sylvia's Mother" by Dr Hook in a dramatic scene. The same band has a song called "Carry me Carrie" that musically would be perfect for, say, a montage of Cary/Kerry struggling to keep the other half of themselves alive after they're wounded. Given the lyrics in the chorus it'd be extremely on-the-nose and cheesy in any other show, but if anyone could pull it off it'd be Hawley.

jofi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 5, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Help Im watching both this and twin peaks and now I think Im schizophrenic

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't know how to compress and cut up gifs, but I found the part itself if you want to fiddle with it:

A smaller one with the shoulder shimmy, but not the entire line:

These are awesome but I have no idea how to get them down in size. Aubrey deserves a best supporting actress award.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lenny: "That's a drat good cup of coffee!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just finished Twin Peaks last night. It drags a lot in the middle of season 2 but ends strong.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Elite posted:

Think of it as the opposite of 2 characters fusing together.

So say in Legends of Tomorrow, Professor Stein and Jax Jackson are 2 separate characters but they can fuse together to become Firestorm (2 separate egos contained within one body). Many other examples of this.

Cary/Kerry is naturally 2 different egos inhabiting the same body, but they can separate out to become 2 different egos in 2 different bodies. When they're combined Kerry is dormant most of the time, but she must still be there because Cary can have conversations with her without her physically needing to surface.

Does anybody see it as two sides of one person. The inner child of Cary? He's the intelligent, boring, academic and shes the inner child full of imagination and energy who loves the idea of fighting ninjas.

Thats the way it seems to be portrayed. It could easily be two separate people with opposite personalities inhabiting the same body. Both ideas work.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 5, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McDragon posted:

I'm really impressed at how unsettling and creepy this show made the line about not having a dog. Such an innocent statement out of context, but you hear it in this and go "oh poo poo". And it's a nice change to have the shady bad guy organization fighting the superpower people being quite competent at it as opposed to just being there to show off powers by getting whacked. I guess there was a bit of that in the forest though. Until they had the idea of fighting her all at once.

It actually seemed pretty reasonable to me, almost anticlimactic; she pulled a desperate/badass move and surprised a few of them, but since she's apparently a (physically) normal person and not some crazy Wolverine-esque murder machine, they simply regrouped and overpowered her. In fact if it wasn't for Syd's switcheroo they would've been utterly hosed, the Eye/Div III had them totally snookered.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Benny/Lenny thing is pretty interesting, since Plaza stated that originally her part was written for a man (And noted that Hawley being willing to just throw that out and let her play it was a big reason she decided to do the show). So I wonder if Hawley and his writers just got the idea to do that later on or if it was always going to be that way from the start.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jemaine better be in the next episode dammit

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The Benny/Lenny thing is pretty interesting, since Plaza stated that originally her part was written for a man (And noted that Hawley being willing to just throw that out and let her play it was a big reason she decided to do the show). So I wonder if Hawley and his writers just got the idea to do that later on or if it was always going to be that way from the start.

Her part was originally written for a man because the things she says are the things that a man said in David's past. She's just pasted into the event.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Catsplosion posted:

Does anybody see it as two sides of one person. The inner child of Cary? He's the intelligent, boring, academic and shes the inner child full of imagination and energy who loves the idea of fighting ninjas.

Thats the way it seems to be portrayed. It could easily be two separate people with opposite personalities inhabiting the same body. Both ideas work.

To me, these characters are there (aside from them being just pretty fun) to get your subconscious percolating the idea of another being living inside David's mind/body, maybe strictly internal or maybe something that came in from outside ("what did the stars say?") Oliver calls Yellow Eyes a parasite, but it's not clear whether it's like a parasitic twin, always with him, or something external that invaded him early in his childhood. Oliver also mentions he had a similar malady (although maybe he was just referring to being a mutant himself) and he tells David he's seen David's situation with Yellow Eyes before, or something like it.

Lenny keeps appearing to David and provoking him into progressively bigger explosions. Looking forward to the next one :pervert:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
This show is getting canceled, right?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's FX. They barely cancel anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

It's FX. They barely cancel anything.

Hell, they're renewing Archer for 3 more seasons.

(don't get me wrong, I *love* the show, but I think they've been bleeding viewers since Season 5 and didn't really get their momentum back in 6)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

flosofl posted:

Hell, they're renewing Archer for 3 more seasons.

(don't get me wrong, I *love* the show, but I think they've been bleeding viewers since Season 5 and didn't really get their momentum back in 6)

Three more seasons Jesus. And they couldn't find any room in their heart for Cassidy and Clay?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love how they worked the Shadow King into this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

By far and away the most disturbing use of Rainbow Connection I've ever seen.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

howe_sam posted:

By far and away the most disturbing use of Rainbow Connection I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRR4WfrPG04

They have used this bump on Dragon*Con TV for years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was loving terrifying.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Dude my TV shut off as lumpy was going after Syd.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Christ that was some really disturbing use of sound when Lenny was sticking her tongue down David's throat at the house. It sounded like she was eating him and it made me physically cringe up like something was drilling into my brain. drat I love this show. The last part of this episode was incredibly drat freaky and awesome

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I was running around in circles screaming all through this episode

ps

Flesh Forge posted:

Lenny keeps appearing to David and provoking him into progressively bigger explosions. Looking forward to the next one :pervert:

And what a payoff! :psypop:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

These people sucks at viscera cleanup detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the person who greenlit this show is getting serviced by an expert. Because they deserve it.