Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I really enjoyed SGU, and was disappointed in only got two seasons.

I'm probably in the minority but I enjoyed how they were discovering different parts of Destiny. That was what got me hooked on the show. Going to different planets etc via the Stargates to fix/solve the issues they were having on the ship I liked, otherwise it may as well have just been the original series where they go to a different planet each episode.

However having said that I never watched Atlantis so I can onlycompare it SGU to SG1.

Man, I want another SG show. I guess I have the benefit of being able to watch Atlantis to scratch that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Finding new parts of the place and solving new problems with the place is like half or more of Atlantis so I'd suggest you watch it!

Stargate shows are almost always about solving Space Problems and that's what makes me like them, I think.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
I think you'd really like Atlantis then. The first few seasons were about them stranded in the unknown far from home with only little understanding of the technology they had at their disposal. They often explore planets blindly too. So it's similar to SGU in that sense, though it's certainly a lot more campy (the good kind) and very funny/charming. Great character dynamics, particularly with Sheppard and McKay.

Do yourself a favor and watch it now.

freeranger posted:

I really enjoyed SGU, and was disappointed in only got two seasons.

I'm probably in the minority but I enjoyed how they were discovering different parts of Destiny. That was what got me hooked on the show. Going to different planets etc via the Stargates to fix/solve the issues they were having on the ship I liked, otherwise it may as well have just been the original series where they go to a different planet each episode.

However having said that I never watched Atlantis so I can onlycompare it SGU to SG1.

Man, I want another SG show. I guess I have the benefit of being able to watch Atlantis to scratch that itch.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

So over the last couple of months I've been rewatching SG-1 from the beginning and I've got to say I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I haven't watched the series since it was on, and I liked it then, but I really appreciate it now. I think my favorite part is how not stuffy and serious it is. I mean you get that with some episodes here and there, which is great, but I love the sense of fun the show embodies.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kwatz posted:

So over the last couple of months I've been rewatching SG-1 from the beginning and I've got to say I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I haven't watched the series since it was on, and I liked it then, but I really appreciate it now. I think my favorite part is how not stuffy and serious it is. I mean you get that with some episodes here and there, which is great, but I love the sense of fun the show embodies.

The Stargate team dynamic is probably the closest any show has got to recreating the classic Star Trek Kirk/Spock/Bones feel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

The Stargate team dynamic is probably the closest any show has got to recreating the classic Star Trek Kirk/Spock/Bones feel.

Indeed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kwatz posted:

They nailed the casting to perfection. RDA was a loving triumph in the early seasons when they had lovely writing and dumb plot ideas. His portrayal of the "captain" role role was incredible and he held back on raw emotion and anger so well that when he did let it out it impacted like a bomb.

It's so weird how successful SG1 and the franchise was. The entire beginning of the show was basically "We own this movie, make a show off it" and the writers basically sat in a room and had to create the entire thing from scratch in a very tight time frame. Everything from the Gouald, the Jaffa, the gate functions etc. was crafted during a few intense brainstorming sessions in the rush to make the show work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Atlantis cast had a really rough start but the Shephard/McKay team was loving amazing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

pentyne posted:

It's so weird how successful SG1 and the franchise was. The entire beginning of the show was basically "We own this movie, make a show off it" and the writers basically sat in a room and had to create the entire thing from scratch in a very tight time frame. Everything from the Gouald, the Jaffa, the gate functions etc. was crafted during a few intense brainstorming sessions in the rush to make the show work.

SG-1 picked up where Star Trek (especially DS9) left off - it's a team of lovable quirky professionals out exploring a big and dangerous galaxy. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I've only seen the first couple of seasons but I can say that I keep watching because of the chemistry and dynamic between the characters. The ongoing plot is great, too, and they don't dump it on you - you get it piece by piece.

Really need to get back to watching this show, but that means I have to pay for Hulu again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The Atlantis cast had a really rough start but the Shephard/McKay team was loving amazing.

I've begun watching this again and I'm on season 2 where they get rid of boring Ford in favour of Ronon. He isn't great but still an improvement over Ford. And the Shephard/McKay interactions are getting good.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Zurui posted:

The ongoing plot is great, too, and they don't dump it on you - you get it piece by piece.

Thats one of the things I really love about the series. It took 5 seasons to off Apophis. The Asgard aren't constantly around, yet their plot line is always being pushed forward. It's a pretty impressive mix of stand alone and serialized plots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I've begun watching this again and I'm on season 2 where they get rid of boring Ford in favour of Ronon. He isn't great but still an improvement over Ford. And the Shephard/McKay interactions are getting good.

I think it's honestly a combo of having a more defined role as the 'brute' of the team, and Momoa is just a more charismatic and confident actor than Francks.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Having a defined role of anything would have helped Ford's character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

8one6 posted:

Having a defined role of anything would have helped Ford's character.

I think he was supposed to be the rookie who was jazzed to be in space, but that's a limited role when the season arc was "AHHHHH SPACE VAMPIRES RUNNNN!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of my fav episodes is the exploding tumor one because of the scenes of the team just relaxing and doing whatever. I want to see more of Ronan and Shepard playing golf.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mu Zeta posted:

One of my fav episodes is the exploding tumor one because of the scenes of the team just relaxing and doing whatever. I want to see more of Ronan and Shepard playing golf.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

That was a pretty good ep until the exploding tumor poo poo happened.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

McSpanky posted:

That was a pretty good ep until the exploding tumor poo poo happened.

As I've said 1,000 times. I quit watching Atlantis after that loving exploding tumor. I know I missed a lot of good stuff, but it just made me so angry. Like Dr. Frasier had a lovely send-off episode. I know the producers wanted to show the audience that poo poo is real up in Atlantis, anything can happen. BAM! Didn't see that coming, did you? But, gently caress them anyway.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The CGI was also so, so bad.

Like below average even for a show like this at the time.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

As I've said 1,000 times. I quit watching Atlantis after that loving exploding tumor. I know I missed a lot of good stuff, but it just made me so angry. Like Dr. Frasier had a lovely send-off episode. I know the producers wanted to show the audience that poo poo is real up in Atlantis, anything can happen. BAM! Didn't see that coming, did you? But, gently caress them anyway.

I forget, did the exploding tumour happen to the real Dr Beckett, or the clone?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Atlantis a lot but I never felt like it had an entirely coherent overall narrative. Didn't really have an ending either. Just sort of stopped rather than ended.

It's like X-Files in that the mostly standalone episodes tended to be better.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

One of the things about SGU that annoyed me was that they have SGA characters guest star in an episode and they never mention what happened to Atlantis after it landed in San Francisco. Not even a throwaway line saying that it's being studied or whatever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed Atlantis a lot but I never felt like it had an entirely coherent overall narrative. Didn't really have an ending either. Just sort of stopped rather than ended.

They were promised a movie that never happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

One of the things about SGU that annoyed me was that they have SGA characters guest star in an episode and they never mention what happened to Atlantis after it landed in San Francisco. Not even a throwaway line saying that it's being studied or whatever.

Did anyone other than Rodney show up?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well technically Carter was in Atlantis for a while. Maybe the Russian scientist?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Woosley.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I forget, did the exploding tumour happen to the real Dr Beckett, or the clone?

The real one, people were so pissed off at his death was why they wrote in the clones.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I liked that Beckett died in a notably stupid and ignominious way because the actor's insultingly bad accent deserved it.

Also Ronon was pretty poo poo. Just another in the franchise's increasingly questionable series of Brown Action Guy™.
Teal'c was at least interesting in terms of his depth, but having every series main-cast minority character be a hyper-lethal 'cool' barbarian was very hosed up. And they degenerate over time as well. Teal'c has a strong backstory and set of motivations. Teyla and that guy who got written out were both dead-ends which resulted in Ronon being introduced. Ronon's character motivation is OCD as expressed by a need to reload a gun that doesn't need reloading. And then finally we get to the Sergeant from SG:U who is nothing but irrational, unquestioning, murderous psychosis on legs.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I liked that Beckett died in a notably stupid and ignominious way because the actor's insultingly bad accent deserved it.

Beckett's actor is Scottish though. Maybe he played it up a bit but it's not like it's all faked.

I do agree Ronon is a poor man's Teal'c though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Beckett's actor is Scottish though. Maybe he played it up a bit but it's not like it's all faked.

I do agree Ronon is a poor man's Teal'c though.

He's dual Scottish/Canadian IIRC, but has no scottish accent IRL.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

He's dual Scottish/Canadian IIRC, but has no scottish accent IRL.

I stand corrected. I've definitely heard more obnoxious-sounding real scottish accents than his though so I still don't really have a problem with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A genuine obnoxious accent is still authentic though. His one was bad almost to the degree of deliberate mockery. That he did it for years without improving it, let alone that he wasn't embarrassed to do it in the first place, is incredibly damning of his work ethic as an actor

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That's because it would have caused WW3.

A city full of loving technology that would advance your country 10,000 years instantly.
And you think the Russians/Chinese would just say 'sure let the US have it'. The US wouldn't allow a few thousand foreign scientists crawl over it, esp as there could be hidden weapons they could detonate or trigger.

The nukes would have started flying to capture San Francisco within a week.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

happyhippy posted:

A city full of loving technology that would advance your country 10,000 years instantly.
And you think the Russians/Chinese would just say 'sure let the US have it'. The US wouldn't allow a few thousand foreign scientists crawl over it, esp as there could be hidden weapons they could detonate or trigger.

But they completely ignore it in SGU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the producers have said that the movie was going to end with them being forced to take the city back to Pegasus or it would explode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

happyhippy posted:

The atlantis project was a civilian oversight one with a multinational crew, the US wouldn't have really been able to try to keep it to themselves. The russians had, or used to have, X303s and all that so it's not as if the tech from the gate program and Atlantis was a great big secret anyway. Letting the world's scientists pour over Atlantis would have let Earth as a planet figure out what all the junk on it was way faster and get them in shape for all the evil asgard or the energy beings or whatever was in SGU I forget.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

A genuine obnoxious accent is still authentic though. His one was bad almost to the degree of deliberate mockery. That he did it for years without improving it, let alone that he wasn't embarrassed to do it in the first place, is incredibly damning of his work ethic as an actor

Real Scottish accents are completely unintelligible. Hollywood Scottish exists as a result.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Rhyno posted:

I think the producers have said that the movie was going to end with them being forced to take the city back to Pegasus or it would explode.

This is what I understood as well, yet another ill-conceived and dangerous decision made by those arrogant dick head Ancients!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

IRQ posted:

The atlantis project was a civilian oversight one with a multinational crew, the US wouldn't have really been able to try to keep it to themselves. The russians had, or used to have, X303s and all that so it's not as if the tech from the gate program and Atlantis was a great big secret anyway. Letting the world's scientists pour over Atlantis would have let Earth as a planet figure out what all the junk on it was way faster and get them in shape for all the evil asgard or the energy beings or whatever was in SGU I forget.

Which one had space corn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Gelf posted:

This is what I understood as well, yet another ill-conceived and dangerous decision made by those arrogant dick head Ancients!

My very favorite is still the $ULTIMATE_POWER_SOURCE with an overload response of: venting energy into a weapon that flails about wildly, firing at any and all detected objects. Including friendly Atlantean vessels because I guess IFF isn't a thing.