Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona is bad, is what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Persona 5 is going to have a great presentation and good music, but its still a JRPG and I won't have high expectations in its story. I'm worried there will be stereotypical "Sempai" Japanese terms thrown around and its not something I'm into anymore.

But I think I'm just talking out of my rear end, I'll still be playing it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arist posted:

Persona is bad, is what I'm saying

http://i.imgur.com/MG8EyFs.mp4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad of the Japanese language track just so I won't have to listen to English speakers use Japanese honourifics.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad of the Japanese language track just so I won't have to listen to English speakers use Japanese honourifics.

Are they still doing that for the persona 5 dub?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've no idea to be honest, I hope not but someone decided it was integral to the translation of P4 and all its spin offs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were right, it was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Last one I played was Persona 3 FES. I actually liked it quite a bit, although I really didn't like the JRPG stuff, but I don't really think I would like it if it was just a social simulator.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't travel long distances on trains like the Japanese apparently do because that's the only way I can imagine getting through a Persona game after I attempted 5 and realised I had far too many other things in life to concentrate on

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I HATED the social link system in Persona 3 or 4.

Your friend asks you the answer to a question a teacher asks. You give him the wrong answer, and the game yells at you that you made the wrong choice and hurt the relationship with your friend.

Its not fun and makes me want to use a guide for all the answers cause otherwise I feel like I'm wasting time. The actual story in the social links were good but drat the penalties if you pick a wrong multiple choice answer is aggravating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't travel long distances on trains like the Japanese apparently do because that's the only way I can imagine getting through a Persona game after I attempted 5 and realised I had far too many other things in life to concentrate on
how do you plan to play a ps4 game on a train

edit: how did you play persona 5 when it isnt out in the us

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Honorifics are good and games by US devs should have them too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

how do you plan to play a ps4 game on a train

edit: how did you play persona 5 when it isnt out in the us

4! Sorry. I always mix these up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What is the hype with persona 5?
I've never played any of the previous versions
I guess, what sets it apart from the other rpg's?
From spoiler free reviews I've seen seems like I'm a high school student or something?

I'm interested but have no idea what it is

atlus is a well-regarded jrpg dev and P5 is their first HD rpg effort following 3 and 4 becoming their breakout titles

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Persona 4 also had a really slick and unique (well, less so now that everyone's copied it for the last ten years) art style and presentation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
P5 is just plain too long. There was a time when I couldn't think that about an RPG but I've changed. And of course, due to its rigid structure there's not really a way to make it any shorter.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona 3 and 4 are both extremely good games. What the hell is wing with you people? Is it finally that time when gonna decide to turn on the popular game or something? This is way more delayed than usual if that's the case.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

P5 is just plain too long. There was a time when I couldn't think that about an RPG but I've changed. And of course, due to its rigid structure there's not really a way to make it any shorter.

Too much content is bad now. loving goons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Persona 3 and 4 are both extremely good games. What the hell is wing with you people?

Goons hate anime, remember.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

precision posted:

To be fair JRPGs are not for everyone.

I am gonna enjoy it tho.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Too much content is bad now. loving goons.

People aren't a hivemind and plenty prefer well-paced, shorter games to ones that they feel are bloated to make a bullet point on the box

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

just play a mainline smt game because it doesn't have any of the stupid dating sim stuff or wandering around school and the dungeons are less.. bland.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Horizon ends up being "too long" because I do not want it to end. I've still got half the map to see. Guerilla has completely raised the bar on open-world action-RPG type stuff here.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Motto posted:

People aren't a hivemind and plenty prefer well-paced, shorter games to ones that they feel are bloated to make a bullet point on the box

Yes,in the JRPG or RPG genre. Where the standard game length starts at 20 hours and 70 is medium length.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Motto posted:

It's not in the usual way via sidequests though; almost all the time is just how long it takes to get through each of the school days even if not much happens.

I don't know for certain if it's actually longer than 3 or 4 though, I don't remember how many hours I was at at various stages of those games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes,in the JRPG or RPG genre. Where the standard game length starts at 20 hours and 70 is medium length.

there's a pretty big difference between a 20-30 hour rpg and a 60-80 hour one. like, a 3-to-4 times difference. if you have a couple of hours to play games a day and don't play the same game every single day you can get through the former in like, two or three weeks, while the latter would take you two or three months.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not in the usual way via sidequests though; almost all the time is just how long it takes to get through each of the school days even if not much happens.

I’ll give you that one,I fast forwarded a lot of persona 4 empty days.

Which you can do in 5,yes?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If P5 is going at the pace it seems to be going and doesn't have some crazy time jump its gonna be like 100 hours to finish it, not counting speedrunning I guess.

But I haven't played it in months. There are a lot of other games and that one just seems stuck in a rut.

edit: again, I'm not saying Persona has changed, but rather that I have changed.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also it's not really about length itself than about how a game uses its length. I've played 80 hour JRPGs that cover less ground both mechanically and narratively than 30 hour ones. It's fine for a game to be long, but i'd much rather a game be 25 hours long and have all of that be fast-paced and engaging than 80 hours long with 20 hours of 'you must go to these four elemental shrines with no plot to gather these trinkets to advance the story'

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

there's a pretty big difference between a 20-30 hour rpg and a 60-80 hour one. like, a 3-to-4 times difference. if you have a couple of hours to play games a day and don't play the same game every single day you can get through the former in like, two or three weeks, while the latter would take you two or three months.

For me,this is a big plus. Basically,if the game is longer than 10 hours and I cannot marathon it on a day off,I might’ve well be 1000 hours long.

If I get bored or the game gets bad on either hour 4 or 90, ill cut my losses. I don’t need to finish or 100% games.

See, I’d cut my losses on the 20 hour mcguffin with no plot example.

By the way,I hate xenogears

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's fair but I think you can agree that unskippable filler to make a game longer is the kind of thing that's likely to make you quit, and a good number of jrpgs have that to pad out their lengths. so it would be better if the game had that filler removed, and was therefore shorter. because you'd be less likely to lose interest.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

How long to beat has P5 at 104 hours just to get to the credits. that's just silly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How long is always inflated as hell.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

How long is always inflated as hell.
I assume P5 has a true ending that is several hours beyond the normal/bad one, and I would include that in the final time if I were them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

precision posted:

Don't goons claim that P4 isn't anime?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The new firmware update has finally given No Man's Sky a reason to exist. You can use screenshots as a custom theme, so you can use NMS to create 4K, HDR themes that look like a Roger Dean painting.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Paracelsus posted:

The Vita remake has something like a full hour's worth of anime cutscenes in it

Big Bidness posted:

The new firmware update has finally given No Man's Sky a reason to exist. You can use screenshots as a custom theme, so you can use NMS to create 4K, HDR themes that look like a Roger Dean painting.

But none of them will be Corn Love Forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I like it, therefore its not anime. See: Cowboy Bebop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

No. You stupid, stupid bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also: holy loving poo poo a lot of really good games came out between P5's Japanese release and now and I haven't finished any of them because I keep switching back and forth and also playing Miku Future Tone every day.

edit: at least there don't appear to be any new great games in the near future. Maybe I will actually finish P5 someday. Oh yeah...and SMT4 Final which I have barely started.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 10, 2017