Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I saw John Carter with chinese subs and it was actually pretty cool when he's trying to talk to the martian town before he learns the language.

Also the long Wookie scenes in Star Wars Holiday Special are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

How about this, learn a loving second language instead of being willfully ignorant to other's dialects and you can be in on the inside joke with the rest of us.

On the big list of things I'm not going to do that a movie should do for me, learning a second language is somewhere on there.

Fundamentally, the words behind her angry tirade brings as much content as her angry tirade itself. If you're letting half the scene's data fail to connect with your audience, there's a problem. I liked the scene, but I love it with the extra information.

It's like a crazed Norwegian dude explaining to Kurt Russell that the dog isn't a dog, it's a Thing, it's just imitating a dog... times a thousand.

ruddiger posted:

You do realize how many people speak Spanish in this country, yes? And how some (most, depending on who you ask) white Americans react when they don't understand what's being spoken?

I just shrug and say I barely speak Spanish. Like, I know worked-in-a-kitchen Spanish, but that's about it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 10, 2017

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I really thought when she was listing off her friends in the picture, he was just going to start yelling back all the names of his dead friends. Missed opportunity to add some more emotional tugs.

That was a pretty great movie, though, and while it will never happen, Jackman and Stewart absolutely deserve award nominations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

On the big list of things I'm not going to do that a movie should do for me, learning a second language is somewhere on there.

Fundamentally, the words behind her angry tirade brings as much content as her angry tirade itself.

If you're letting half the scene's data fail to connect with your audience, there's a problem. I liked the scene, but I love it with the extra information.
There isn't anything she says that's as important as A) the fact that she can speak, which is a surprise, B) that she's angry, and C) that it's all in Spanish.

There are D) the names of the other kids, but you get that whether or not you speak Spanish.

Subtitles are fun when they have some sort of ironic element that's contrary to the understanding of the characters on screen. Maybe a Mexican tells an American that they're stupid in Spanish, but they say it with a smile so that the American thinks the Mexican is saying nice things. That's a funny use of subtitles. But when you have subtitles to say "I hate you" when a Mexican is yelling at an American, it becomes redundant. Which is not great, but forgivable UNLESS it's competing for your attention against a joke.

The joke here is that she speaks (sorta funny), and that she speaks Spanish because she grew up in Mexico (really funny).

There's a split second between when the joke happens and when the audience's brains realize it and laugh, and if you introduce subtitles during that split second to make them process a different thought, the joke loses its impact. In the case of this movie, the subtitles would distract the audience in order to tell them something that they already understand from Laura's tone. So not only are you losing the impact of the joke, but you're losing it for no good reason.

quote:

It's like a crazed Norwegian dude explaining to Kurt Russell that the dog isn't a dog, it's a Thing, it's just imitating a dog... times a thousand.
You think the Thing would have been a better movie with subtitles for the Norwegians? It's a big spoiler

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 10, 2017

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Does anyone know, out of curiosity, what they were doing effect wise after each of Xavier's seizures?

It looked they were switching "film" format for a minute or so each time? It gives everything a sort of HD-Video look for a while. I thought it was a cute little effect whatever it was.

Bit late here but they physically shook the camera really hard and then stabilised it in post which gave it that weird look

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bang3r posted:

Bit late here but they physically shook the camera really hard and then stabilised it in post which gave it that weird look

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear there was also some frame blending as well, which would suggest frame rate conversion, which might explain why algebra testes was wondering if it was shot in HD video.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sorry, I'm just not buying this rationalization. It's a weaker scene when you don't know her (entirely legitimate, entirely more emotionally engaging) speech. It's a good, funny scene when you don't know what she's saying, better/funnier when the audience does.

Steve Yun posted:

You think the Thing would have been a better movie with subtitles for the Norwegians? It's a big spoiler

Even in 82, I don't think that the dog not really being a dog was a spoiler. But in general? It's always more fun when the audience knows more than the characters. It's funnier when Logan is focused on the speaking than what she's saying, when we know what she's saying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry, I'm just not buying this rationalization. It's a weaker scene when you don't know her (entirely legitimate, entirely more emotionally engaging) speech. It's a good, funny scene when you don't know what she's saying, better/funnier when the audience does.
C'mon you gotta put up more of a fight than just making claims and opinions without building supporting arguments.

quote:

Even in 82, I don't think that the dog not really being a dog was a spoiler. But in general? It's always more fun when the audience knows more than the characters. It's funnier when Logan is focused on the speaking than what she's saying, when we know what she's saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fW_otRmxuk

They spoil everything.

I bet you think Prometheus would've been better if we had subtitles over what David said to the Engineer

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 10, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Yeah, and how much more fun would it have been had your first viewing of that movie been, knowing that the dude in question was warning you (but not the characters) that the dog wasn't a dog? Always more fun when you're a bunch of steps ahead of the characters.

Steve Yun posted:

C'mon you gotta put up more of a fight than just making claims and opinions without building supporting arguments.

The only supporting argument I need is that I liked the scene, and found it funnier, knowing what she said. Because it's rather lovely when you have to find 50% of a scene's weight from an outside source, as far as I'm concerned.

And of course I want to know what the dude said to the Engineer. More information is always better.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Like I said, dumbing down the movie by literally spelling words out for people like you who cannot infer what's going on by just WATCHING WHAT'S ON SCREEN does not make it better or funnier.

It's not like this is some deep rear end movie either. It's a comic book movie that pretty much writes its actions and motives out in crayon on screen. The fact that you can't wrap your head around even that baseline reading of the scene says a lot about you.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 10, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

More information is always better.

That's crazy talk.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tangentially related, I just saw Kong Skull Island and (end credits scene spoiler) the movie spoils its own end tag by listing all the monster names copyrighted by Toho right at the tail end of the credits, so if you're reading the credits at the end of the movie, it completely spoils what happens in the tag.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How is this a comic book film, when it isn't static images with editorial notes referencing past issues to explain lore? Good try "Hollywood"!!

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Another point on the spanish outburt - think about the point that Laura knows and can speak English, and yet delivers the scene in Spanish anyways. It's significant to the character because she is an abused child and uses her speech as a form of exerting control over her environment. She knows Logan won't understand, yet she goes off on him anyways. What she says is irrelevant; how she says it and why she says it is the point of the scene.

Subtitles again detract from the scene. Look and think about the characters, not the literal script of the film. It's a movie, it's trying to make a point in an indirect method.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

MisterBibs posted:

Considering The Thing was thematically completely about ambiguity, dread of the unknown, and NOT knowing who or what is a threat, no. Knowing what they're saying would have absolutely weakened the film. Giving the audience omniscience is a lame storytelling crutch, and definitely wasn't appropriate in Logan given the serious tone.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
My theatre was laughing their rear end off at flash Spanish Laura, so I think the context in this case was more important than the actual words, and poster talking about reading the subtitles distracting from looking at the scene itself has an excellent point as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In regards to the Reavers: I've never read any of the comics with them, but am I mistaken or are they supposed to have prosthetic limbs because they all had run-ins with Wolverine in the past? For some reason, I had that impression going into the movie. As hokey as it would have been, I kind of liked that mental explanation, helped add to the theme of Wolverine's violent past being inescapable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

In regards to the Reavers: I've never read any of the comics with them, but am I mistaken or are they supposed to have prosthetic limbs because they all had run-ins with Wolverine in the past? For some reason, I had that impression going into the movie. As hokey as it would have been, I kind of liked that mental explanation, helped add to the theme of Wolverine's violent past being inescapable.

I don't think there's any reason to believe it was Wolverine, just violent mutants. One of them loses an arm to that ice kid during the fight at the end, and the implication is that the lead merc got his arm sliced off by Laura.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It does, and many of my favorite movies like The Gambler, Enemy and Halloween do it too.

Some of my favorites are Candyman and, not quite the same but equally lame exposition, the part in The Wicker Man where suddenly Howie has a voiceover for like 15 seconds and then starts talking out loud to himself in a library

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Like I said, dumbing down the movie by literally spelling words out for people like you who cannot infer what's going on by just WATCHING WHAT'S ON SCREEN does not make it better or funnier.

Infer, inschmer. The scene is more enjoyable/funnier/better when the audience is aware of both sides of the scene. Why rely on inference when the scene is richer for direct edification?

ruddiger posted:

It's not like this is some deep rear end movie either.

I dunno, there's a lot of rationalizing the lack of detail in the scene on the basis that this movie is ~deeper~ and doesn't need it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Why rely on inference

Artistry.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MisterBibs posted:

Infer, inschmer. The scene is more enjoyable/funnier/better when the audience is aware of both sides of the scene. Why rely on inference when the scene is richer for direct edification?

You're begging the question

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As someone who got a B in high school Spanish, I found it pretty easy to figure out what Laura was saying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Guys, don't you think Star Wars would've been way better if we knew Darth Vader was Luke's father in episode 4? Knowing both sides of their relationship would've been way better because we'd have all the information

Hey guys I made a fan edit of Usual Suspects where the audience finds out in the beginning that Verbal Kint is Keyzer Soze. It's so much better having that information from the beginning and watching the detective fumble around for answers. I even made myself chuckle a few times because I had the knowledge and the detective didn't

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

She's not giving important information that changes things, which leaves us not fluent in the Espanol behind the curve. It's a slight boost in information that most people get the gist of from Laura's tone, volume, and actions. It's like a half step removed from an Easter Egg at best. Plus including it changes the non-Spanish audience's focus in the scene from being in Wolverine's position to being in Laura's, which is probably the primary reason the filmmakers didn't do subtitles.

In your opinion you were robbed of a level of enyoyability/funniness/betterness by being left out of the loop, and that sucks. But you're arguing as if it's an objective instead of a subjective truth. Most people who don't speak Spanish seem to be totally fine with the scene as is.

Maybe instead of the obligatory next movie stinger Comic Book movies have been using, all movies could have linguistic catch up scenes at the end of movies. And scenes were foreign language dialog was used without subtitles will be replayed with subtitles.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
Can any X-Men-ologist illuminate why Charles considered Logan such a disappointment? It seems a pretty harsh assessment given Logan's loyalty and attempts to lead a normal life resulted in him being so horribly broken.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He never became a fully formed hero, and kinda kept being a loner rear end in a top hat guy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Also I think it was because at this point Charles thought Logan did something horrible, before remembering correctly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

He never became a fully formed hero, and kinda kept being a loner rear end in a top hat guy.
Plus the whole drinking himself to sleep every night, driving a cab, and living an unfulfilled life.

But there's probably a lot of projection going on there on Chuck's part.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
A lot of it I think is lashing out at his caregiver, which is something that happens a lot with dementia.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The scene everyone is discussing wouldn't be any different if Laura was speaking tongues or Norwegian, the point is she was mute before and she is revealed not to be.

Subtitles don't add to that gag, and it's not intended as anything more than that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly Norwegian would have been funnier tho

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Credit goes to the movie's music... I've never had such a visceral reaction before as when X24 came on screen and the soundtrack went to that deep, dark loud track. It's really hard for movies to accurately convey a real sense of danger for the hero because we all kind of know deep down the hero always wins. But when X24 was revealed it really connected for me that this guy was going to turn anyone and anything in front of him into a shredded bloody mess, including Logan.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Pretty fun movie, looking forward to seeing it again. Was it ever explained in comics or in the movie what the poisonous whatever is, that's slowly killing Logan? I mean he already died like 16 times before this movie but I don't think any of them involved him getting sick. Maybe it was in Old Man Logan, I read it but don't remember a lot of it.

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Can any X-Men-ologist illuminate why Charles considered Logan such a disappointment? It seems a pretty harsh assessment given Logan's loyalty and attempts to lead a normal life resulted in him being so horribly broken.
Basically, Logan was always supposed to be the team leader, the older and level-headed mentor for the rest of the team to look up to. Instead, he stayed an rear end in a top hat and Cyclops kind of strolled in, took his girl, took his intended role, and drank his milkshake on many other levels... And then they all died except for Logan, and maybe things could've turned out better if Xavier had succeeded with Logan.

I'd really be interested in seeing a Wolverine: Origins movie, now. I'd like to see how they might change things around for the screen, and I think more people ought to see that story about the boy named dog, there were definitely some surprises.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coyo7e posted:

Pretty fun movie, looking forward to seeing it again. Was it ever explained in comics or in the movie what the poisonous whatever is, that's slowly killing Logan? I mean he already died like 16 times before this movie but I don't think any of them involved him getting sick. Maybe it was in Old Man Logan, I read it but don't remember a lot of it.

It's the adamantium grafted to his skeleton.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

coyo7e posted:

Pretty fun movie, looking forward to seeing it again. Was it ever explained in comics or in the movie what the poisonous whatever is, that's slowly killing Logan?

The Adamantium in him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh that makes sense, especially in terms of how long he survived just fine, and then how much time passed between the grafting and this movie (it's 2024 iirc? so he's had it in his system for 30 years and he was like 150 years old or so at that point?)

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

coyo7e posted:

Ahh that makes sense, especially in terms of how long he survived just fine, and then how much time passed between the grafting and this movie (it's 2024 iirc? so he's had it in his system for 30 years and he was like 150 years old or so at that point?)

It's 2029. Wolverine says explicitly that the metal inside him is killing him at the end of the movie. He was born in the 1800s in the movie series if Origins is still canon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is that a thing in the comics as well? That adamantium is poison and that the only thing keeping him alive is his healing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

coyo7e posted:

The x-movie timeline is iffy, but I think he got the adamantium grafted to his skeleton in the late 70s/early 80s. Let's call it 1980. Meaning that in 2029 (when Logan takes place) he's had it for almost 50 years, plus 15 or so of those years were heavy wear and tear as a result of various X-adventures. Given that his healing factor kept him young and healthy for most of a century before the adamantium it's pretty safe to say that the metal is what's killing him.

One thing I didn't get is the insinuation that Logan can't read? I guess the movie version was never portrayed as a guy with a good amount of common sense intellect or a world-trotting polyglot, but it was still a little weird.

• Locked thread