Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I think my least favorite boss is the royal rat vanguard because the entire fight boils down to having a way to take his minions out before he joins the fight. It's tough for some builds, but once you pull it off it takes about 3 seconds and then the rest of the fight is trivial and tedious. Totally optional though, so whatever.
I never have much trouble with it, but I hate it because I really hate that the rats inflict petrification and instant death status effects like that annoy me. In the first game only the occasional Basilisk and seath were curse threats.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm in the minority but I didn't care much for DQ Warriors. The enemies eventually become super damage spongy which I don't think works very well in a Musou game. It also put a lot of emphasis on grinding, which I guess is a nod to DQ. And the menu navigation was absolutely glacial.

Yeah I didn't get very far into it because enemies felt like they had too much HP and the bosses weren't fun to deal with. On top of that, stage timers annoyed me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Action Tortoise posted:

Dynasty Warriors are the basic type involving Chinese historical figures. Samurai Warriors are appropriately the Japanese variant but from the gameplay I've seen they require some more "strategy" than DW. And yeah there are some popular franchises that take well to the hack em up nature of the gameplay, like DW Gundam or Dragon Quest Heroes.

I want a DBZ Heroes game. I think I'm alone in that, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I never have much trouble with it, but I hate it because I really hate that the rats inflict petrification and instant death status effects like that annoy me. In the first game only the occasional Basilisk and seath were curse threats.

They're probably referring to royal rat authority. Vanguard is a joke and there is no way to kill all the normal rats.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Somfin posted:

Really though the game would be better if you could undo the effects of that quest because I don't want to play as an oldster but I also don't want to not experience playing as an oldster why can't I do both on one save file *spasms tiggumistically*
The aging in Fable was honestly really annoying because every time you leveled a skill it aged you, and you end up being older-looking than your own older sister and it's just loving dumb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

They're probably referring to royal rat authority. Vanguard is a joke and there is no way to kill all the normal rats.

Oh, the one that's lovely sif? That was easy for me because it's lovely sif and I had plenty of practice fighting sif. My friend on the other hand, who skipped the first game, just could not for the life of him get the basics of the fight down.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The aging in Fable was honestly really annoying because every time you leveled a skill it aged you, and you end up being older-looking than your own older sister and it's just loving dumb.

In two leveling your skills just made you look like a monster. So my character started out as a generic lady and finished the game looking like a swole demon slug.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

If memory serves it didn't even actually do anything. I was just this 60 year old super buff dude in a skirt hitting things with a sword and eating all of the pies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leavemywife posted:

Nah, Budokai did a p deece job showcasing all the fighters and their relative power levels.

Imagine fighting through an arena of Saibamen as Yamcha.

Also most of the combat would be in midair so I dunno how that would translate with Omega Force's combat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

Er yeah, authority. The giant wolf with the weird dog rats. Vanguard is annoying but super easy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

xenoverse is the closest we're getting to that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm in the minority but I didn't care much for DQ Warriors. The enemies eventually become super damage spongy which I don't think works very well in a Musou game. It also put a lot of emphasis on grinding, which I guess is a nod to DQ. And the menu navigation was absolutely glacial.

i started playing this the other day and yeah, halfway through the mini-bosses/bosses start feeling like they have waaaaay too much HP to stay exciting

the actual gameplay is fun enough though, guess i just gotta smash my head against this giant lion fight until i eventually don't lose to attrition

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Evilreaver posted:

I hate this game and I'm pretty much being dragged through it help :(

Wish I could help :argh::respek::(

Now I gotta add Ubisoft to my "Don't buy their games anymore list." Too many issues with their latest games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I doubt that. Musou games are pretty much the best template since you can apply any IP to it and someone would probably buy it.

Brand Musou Warriors featuring Brawny and Mr.Clean vs an army of cavity creeps? Someone'll go for it.

American History Musou? Sure.

Smash bros and Street FIghter Warriors are what I really wanna see.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I doubt that. Musou games are pretty much the best template since you can apply any IP to it and someone would probably buy it.

Brand Musou Warriors featuring Brawny and Mr.Clean vs an army of cavity creeps? Someone'll go for it.

American History Musou? Sure.

Smash bros and Street FIghter Warriors are what I really wanna see.

A Jojo's Bizarre Adventure warriors game would be awesome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

A Jojo's Bizarre Adventure warriors game would be awesome.

See, there you go!

Warioware Warriors.

Leavemywife posted:

Y'know, now that I think about it, DBZ Heroes may not work.

Dragon Ball Heroes totally could though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

So Food Fight musou? I'd play the hell out of that.

Something pretty annoying in MMOs, and maybe its cause I'm just getting older now, but when things are tied to irl timers. I got a job and poo poo to do, sometimes I can't make any notable advancement because I can't get on at certain times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

Do you think that the mechanics of a game can support or reinforce the point of a game?
I assume that by "point" you mean "intended meaning"? Sure.

Somfin posted:

And conversely, do you think that inappropriately-chosen mechanics can harm or counteract the point of a game?
Yes, that's part of the point I was making about the false choices. Giving you a choice of two options but no reason to take one of them is bad design because it undercuts itself, both mechanically and thematically.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'm pretty sure that was intentional. Magic abilities caused rapid aging in the game world. I think being a heavy magic user even made you go bald.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I assume that by "point" you mean "intended meaning"? Sure.

Yes, that's part of the point I was making about the false choices. Giving you a choice of two options but no reason to take one of them is bad design because it undercuts itself, both mechanically and thematically.

The game gives you a reason to take one of them. The reason is false. This ties into Bioshock's central theme of deception and unfulfilled promises. If you could not make that choice then the theme would not be strengthened by the mechanic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

The game gives you a reason to take one of them. The reason is false. This ties into Bioshock's central theme of deception and unfulfilled promises. If you could not make that choice then the theme would not be strengthened by the mechanic.
I haven't actually played Bioshock for more than about half an hour, I'm just going by what's posted about it in the thread (which is why I gave the example of Dragon Age: Origins instead in my post). I still think you're probably wrong about Bioshock, but I can't actually back that up because I'm not familiar with the specifics. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

I still think you're probably wrong, but I can't actually back that up.

Every Tiggum post ever, boiled down.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

I haven't actually ... I'm just going by what's posted about it

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Every Tiggum post ever, boiled down.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

The physical embodiment of evil incarnate? I think I did the right thing attacking her.

The demons aren't evil incarnate any more than spirits are good incarnate, they just embody "negative" emotions and values. Hell, the Mage origin has examples of neutral demons, and a malicious spirit, and then there's Justice and its views on the world.

She was actually making that Templar truly happy in exchange for the link. It was an illusionary family, but that's still more than he could ever get after becoming a Templar.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tiggum did not bring up bioshock as an example in the first place so I'm not sure why you're both acting so smug about that comment.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Schubalts posted:

The demons aren't evil incarnate any more than spirits are good incarnate, they just embody "negative" emotions and values. Hell, the Mage origin has examples of neutral demons, and a malicious spirit, and then there's Justice and its views on the world.

She was actually making that Templar truly happy in exchange for the link. It was an illusionary family, but that's still more than he could ever get after becoming a Templar.

While devouring his soul in exchange. (Much like a regular family, come to think of it.)

The illusion was simply to pacify him during extraction. And once she drained the Templar, she would enslave and devour others.

I guess it's similar to the Matrix; Happiness vs Freedom.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Actual hardest fight for me is probably the spider, I'm pretty bad at fights that summon adds.

Carry a torch, then the baby spiders won't attack you.

And the worse boss for me in DS2 is the Gargoyles, even alone they're assholes and fighting 3 or 4 at once is horrible. I'm playing DS2 again now and I've walked through every boss except them, where I had to do like 12 attempts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to like nioh, but I'm having the strangest experience with it where the more I play, the less of an idea I have what the gently caress is going on. It's an extremely technical game where a strong understanding of the mechanics seems increasingly required as you progress, but I have no idea how the mechanics actually work and the game doesn't explain a loving thing.

You can see enemies' stamina bars, but what those bars actually mean seems to vary based on what mood the game is in at the time. When an enemy drops to 0 stamina you're supposed to be able to do a special high-damage attack to them, except when you can't. Knocking them down to 0 stamina is also supposed to stun them to set them up for a similar attack, except when it doesn't. Sometimes when you drop an enemy to 0 stamina, they just keep loving attacking or dodging anyway, so don't ever assume it's actually safe to attack. Your stamina recovers at wildly different rates at different times and it's not clear why.

Sometimes you can dodge through attacks, except when you can't and they hit you during your dodge anyway. Sometimes blocking an attack uses 10 stamina, and sometimes it uses 100. So every attack makes you guess whether this is one that will randomly be impossible to dodge through or one that is extremely dangerous to block.

Just like bloodborne, whether or not you stagger an enemy seems to be controlled by a nondeterministic function based on atmospheric noise and leprechaun magic. You will stagger an enemy with the same weak attack five times in a row, then on the sixth attack they will randomly ignore it and you'll eat a hit.

You can attempt to view info on what various stats do on the menus, except it will tell you things such as that the parry stat "improves your parrying ability" or that the break stat "increases your chances of a break." Thanks, that answered all my questions.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

PLease do not insult my good friend Tiggum

More like oldfriendless.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Three games in, the people behind the Trine series still haven't managed to make Pontius at all useful. Everything he does, Zoya does better, but now there are some super annoying levels where you only get to play as him. And the 3D environments don't really seem to add anything, just make aiming jumps and attacks harder.

Also, they've really downgraded Amadeus - which is reasonable since he was way too useful before - but only being able to create a single large box instead of multiple boxes, planks, and triangles is pretty disappointing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Carry a torch, then the baby spiders won't attack you.

And the worse boss for me in DS2 is the Gargoyles, even alone they're assholes and fighting 3 or 4 at once is horrible. I'm playing DS2 again now and I've walked through every boss except them, where I had to do like 12 attempts.

But then I can't power stance my UGS :shepface:.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Brother Entropy posted:

i started playing this the other day and yeah, halfway through the mini-bosses/bosses start feeling like they have waaaaay too much HP to stay exciting

the actual gameplay is fun enough though, guess i just gotta smash my head against this giant lion fight until i eventually don't lose to attrition

I wanted to like the post game boss fights but coming from gigantes redux made it seem like their health and damage were way too outscaled for my boys.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Digirat posted:

Nioh stuff

My problem with it is the extreme lack of enemy variety. I'm about halfway done and have to put it down because it's just so repetitive and boring at this point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

World of Final Fantasy takes a huge plunge in quality whenever the game goes from "go from place to place meeting people" to "pick intervention quests from a list to proceed". It happens once late in the game and again in the postscript, and it drags on indefinitely. The reason could also be that I have pretty decent stacks by now and even five star intervention bosses can't really touch me while I whittle down their HP in mostly auto battle.

I suppose that's nothing that didn't happen in one form or another in any prior Final Fantasy and I should be glad they tried so hard for authenticity in all aspects.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For me the stacks system was interesting but never really hit it's full potential. The game let's you manually unstack but there's almost no reason to do this. Only reason I can think of is to keep you from wiping out a low level mirage you want to catch on one shot.
Stopping wiggle status effect can be done in far better ways than unstacking.

The other problem is it doesn't take long to figure out the mirages aren't all that unique and maxing out one grid takes forever, let alone multiple. So once you stumble on a combination that let's you cast as many -aga or -aja spells as you can you probably won't deviate from it

I kept at the game mostly because it's super charming and cute as gently caress.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even then you can get Subdue to avoid one-shotting a low level critter and after a certain point it's not even necessary to stop the wobbling, just eat the topple and chances are very good you'll be able to recover and restack before the enemy takes another turn.

but yeah, again, Final Fantasy as a series is built on systems that look cool, varied and unique on paper, but where the actual optimum strategy is brute forcing your way through battles through strong physical attacks and spamming your strongest spells because combat simply doesn't require the level of strategy that is implied by having so many unique abilities, and they get by mainly on story and charm, so full marks for tradition.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I remember fights in ffx required some strategy because turn order was important and you could game it pretty well, along with casting elemental spells to heal your summons so black magic had some functionality besides being used solely for damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember fights in ffx required some strategy because turn order was important and you could game it pretty well, along with casting elemental spells to heal your summons so black magic had some functionality besides being used solely for damage.

People used their summons for anything other than single turn nukes?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hey, if you stacked yunas overdrive you got 2 single turn nukes!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FFX had one of the best combat systems in the series, to a large extent because it allowed for that kind of thing, and because it gave everyone unique abilities and clear applications for them.

FFXIII pulled off good strategic combat too, which is just as well because it doesn't have much charm to get by on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

FFX had one of the best combat systems in the series, to a large extent because it allowed for that kind of thing, and because it gave everyone unique abilities and clear applications for them.

FFXIII pulled off good strategic combat too, which is just as well because it doesn't have much charm to get by on.

XIII's combat gets a lot of unfair flak I find. People complain that it automatically chooses stuff, but like. It picks the same thing you would anyway, and the focus isn't on you picking commands but rather you swapping out roles in reaction to the flow of battle. Some of the harder fights in XIII-2 get really fun with how you have to switch it up and keep the flow going or else you'll get hosed.

What really drags FFXIII down for me is that the PC port controls are hosed and I'm just too lazy to deal with it even though I want to replay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

People used their summons for anything other than single turn nukes?

They're good meat shields for when your boys on on their last legs and you need to eat a really strong attack.