Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Finally saw this. I get the recontextualization of most actions by the twist, but what was the point behind the gardener running at Chris in the backyard at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

Finally saw this. I get the recontextualization of most actions by the twist, but what was the point behind the gardener running at Chris in the backyard at night?

Grandpa Brainchanger was just enjoying being able to run super fast like he used to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pirate Jet posted:

The Grandfather who never got over losing to Jessie Owens. He wasn't running at Chris. He was just running around at night because that's the reason he wanted the black body in the first place.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MisterBibs posted:

Grandpa Brainchanger was just enjoying being able to run super fast like he used to.

Yeah it's basically the novelty of being inside of a body that's not your own and having youthful energy and looks. It's why Georgina just stands and stares in the mirror while combing her hair.

That and of course the objectification and fetishization of "blackness".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting that this makes me think you did not see the movie.

I understand what he's trying to get at but I didn't really see this at all in how the grandparents behave. They only really act like servants when the family is trying to be "normal" around Chris (which is most of the movie of course), but I feel like we see enough of them otherwise and learn enough about how the surgery works that I got the impression this isn't how they or the family would act when they aren't luring a new a new victim in.

You could say being reduced to a live-in chef and maid is why the grandma and not the victim whose body she took is crying, but to me saying that also says that the original victim's mind is 100% gone when we know from how the process works that this isn't the case. Otherwise the situation with Andre, the grandpa at the end, etc. would have probably played out very differently.

I didn't see Chris' conversation with Stephen Root's character as him having an irrational breakdown about selling out either. He's relieved at first because he thinks he's found someone he can have an actual conversation, almost genuinely enthusiastic that he has someone else in the arts to talk with. This part of that post in particular: "Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important." I didn't get this at all from the character.

Rod is a TSA employee, his job in theory is extremely important, but in reality we see studies about how the TSA is all smoke and mirrors, and we see how Rod, being a "mere" TSA employee, isn't taken seriously by the NYPD despite spelling out a very serious conspiracy he thinks is going on not just because his friend is missing but because of what he's learned from him, he has actual information and dots connected beyond just "people are acting weird." I got more of a classist vibe out of that than from anything else in the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hat Thoughts posted:

By Chris "selling out" do u mean that Stephen Root (being an admittedly talentless photographer but wealthy/succesful art dealer) taking him over would suggest that he became a white wealthy talentless guy?

In the logic of the film, he would literally have the brain of a white person, losing his talent in the process. Chris believes, to some extent, that his talent comes from his blackness.

It's important to keep in mind the photographs in those early scenes. It's fairly generic 'urban' imagery: a pigeon flying between skyscrapers, a chained pitbull in front of a brick wall, a vulnerable child on a city sidewalk.... Chris fears that, in making too much money, he will lose the ability to capture these things. Moreover, he would be producing inauthentic images for 'the man'.

The truth is, of course, that Chris was 'a sellout' from the beginning, making his modest success with palatable images of children and animals. Like, those are what he uses to convey 'the black experience': children and animals. Think about that for a second.

Chris absolutely doesn't fear going unrecognized or unappreciated - white liberals eat this stuff up. What he's afraid of being embraced by the wrong people and, moreover, that he will like it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nevermind. nothing matters.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 13, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the logic of the film, he would literally have the brain of a white person, losing his talent in the process. Chris believes, to some extent, that his talent comes from his blackness.

It's important to keep in mind the photographs in those early scenes. It's fairly generic 'urban' imagery: a pigeon flying between skyscrapers, a chained pitbull in front of a brick wall, a vulnerable child on a city sidewalk.... Chris fears that, in making too much money, he will lose the ability to capture these things. Moreover, he would be producing inauthentic images for 'the man'.

The truth is, of course, that Chris was 'a sellout' from the beginning, making his modest success with palatable images of children and animals. Like, those are what he uses to convey 'the black experience': children and animals. Think about that for a second.

Chris absolutely doesn't fear going unrecognized or unappreciated - white liberals eat this stuff up. What he's afraid of being embraced by the wrong people and, moreover, that he will like it.

He is already taking the same photos as the (white) urban poverty photographer from Midnight Meat Train. And his fear is that he will ultimately have the same fate - to be an internalized, silenced part of the system, and that he will volunteer for it. He's scared that wants to be a middle class white guy, which is like THE central anxiety of artists under capitalism, regardless of race.

Darko posted:

I know white (and hispanic) "liberals" who saw the movie and don't get it at all. I had one guy talk about how great it was to me...and then explain the movie and point of the movie sounding exactly like Rose's brother. I just made a Chris face when it happened.

Would you mind giving some detail here?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Groovelord Neato posted:

nevermind. nothing matters.

this is my favorite reading

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Chris is black; ipso facto, his photography is about 'the black experience.' Cool cool cool. Great point.

Your entire reading involves essentializing blackness.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, it's when Chris goes out to get a smoke in the middle of the night and Georgina(I think) is seen wandering the halls behind him. There's an incredibly loud musical sting that made the entire row in front of me jump even though it's just a silhouette going by. It felt pretty cheap.

This scared the gently caress out of me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it must suck watching a movie and not realizing that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it must suck watching a movie and not realizing that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

why?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What would be the cigar in this case.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

The Grandfather who never got over losing to Jessie Owens. He wasn't running at Chris. He was just running around at night because that's the reason he wanted the black body in the first place.

Holy poo poo I don't know how I missed this, that's outstanding.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

What would be the cigar in this case.

Racism.

The not-cigar is "racism isn't real; only class struggle exists because I'm a crude Marxist from a century ago"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

i am the bird posted:

Chris is black; ipso facto, his photography is about 'the black experience.' Cool cool cool. Great point.

Your entire reading involves essentializing blackness.

No, the film itself is doing that.

My oppositional reading of the film follows two steps.

The first is to highlight the subjective nature of the events. The sunken place is not real; it is a nightmare hallucination where Chris imagines himself reduced to a disembodied gaze while his mind 'turns white'. Chris himself believes in this ineradicable black essence, the source of his power, which is synonymous from the 'eye' that Root wishes to obtain.

The second step is to point out that Chris is wrong. There is no essence that's being repressed; he simply imagines it. The fear of 'turning mentally white' is actually his fear of becoming upper-class, being embraced by these lame old people.

Put together: the film is about a mediocre artist who fears that success will expose him as a hack, so he escapes into the fantasy of a mind-control conspiracy - the same way he escapes the truth of his responsibility for his mother's death by fantasizing that the TV 'entranced' him.

The discomfort of the party scene is specifically that these idiots genuinely want to be his friend, and he's going to have to interact with them regularly. The idea that they're all villainous cultists comes as a relief.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

Racism.

The not-cigar is "racism isn't real; only class struggle exists because I'm a crude Marxist from a century ago"

Racism, particularly the very idosyncratic kind we have in the US where nothing matters other than Black and White, is economically motivated. Racialization is a justifcation for conquest and domination. I have no clue why people are acting like it's just gratuitous cruelty.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Racism, particularly the very idosyncratic kind we have in the US where nothing matters other than Black and White, is economically motivated. Racialization is a justifcation for conquest and domination. I have no clue why people are acting like it's just gratuitous cruelty.

If it's the latter I'm innocent and it's just bad racists that do racisms.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hell, Stephen Root's character is a literal blind man who denies any racism while using his $$ to get a black guy murked

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

If it's the latter I'm innocent and it's just bad racists that do racisms.

Not anyone in particular, I just mean in general, what do people think the point of racism is?

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hell, Stephen Root's character is a literal blind man who denies any racism while using his $$ to get a black guy murked

He doesn't see color. He sees value. It's nothing personal, of course. This is much more insidious.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not anyone in particular, I just mean in general, what do people think the point of racism is?

He doesn't see color. He sees value. It's nothing personal, of course. This is much more insidious.

Biotruths about apes fighting other apes and tribes and territory and the other and poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's actually really interesting and fun, and I highly recommend you try thinking about movies in terms other than "the good movie is good, the bad movie is bad" some time.

Dexo posted:

holy poo poo :aaaaa:

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
^ This post is hilarious. Don't get so focused on the subtext that you miss the text, kids.

Rate the sketchiness of saying racism reduces entirely to classism in the Get Out thread out of 10. Alternate view: it's not entirely economically motivated. Even "conquest and domination" mean more than profit.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 14, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

^ This post is hilarious. Don't get so focused on the subtext that you miss the text, kids.

nothing wrong with admitting u didnt think of somethin

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
My apologies to Pirate Jet, it was more of an indirect shot at recent trends in the thread.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

if you don't personally enjoy deep readings thru a different ideological framework than the one you operate within, that's cool

if you don't enjoy what people consider to be a more sensible or straight forward analysis, that's cool too

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

VROOM VROOM posted:

Rate the sketchiness of saying racism reduces entirely to classism in the Get Out thread out of 10. Alternate view: it's not entirely economically motivated. Even "conquest and domination" mean more than profit.

Any antiracist critique must begin from examining what motivated racial and racist classification, which are mostly but not entirely materialist. Otherwise, that explanation tends to come in other flavors, like "human nature" (no) and pathological pettiness (also no).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

It's actually really interesting and fun, and I highly recommend you try thinking about movies in terms other than "the good movie is good, the bad movie is bad" some time.

c'mon man you're gonna come at me with that poo poo and you didn't get why the groundskeeper was running.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just like the implication that Georgina and Walter don't sleep.

No need to sleep, just gonna run some laps and rake some leaves.

Just gonna bake a cake in the darkness and play with my wig.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
They were probably excited and had a lot of work to do to get ready for the big day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm just disappointed that Walter runs his laps in his work clothes.

Come on, Walter. It's spring time in Alabama. Put on your track gear like a real athlete.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think this came up earlier but it didn't really sink in until now.
Both Georgina's and Walter's current bodies probably did the sex with Rose. That's kind of weird.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I think this came up earlier but it didn't really sink in until now.
Both Georgina's and Walter's current bodies probably did the sex with Rose. That's kind of weird.

And now they have sex with each other.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tribalism is a huge part of it to. In fact, the economic part works so well because of the natural inclination of tribalism.
People distrust those they see as different ----> Put people in economic competition ----> People will focus on those they see as "different" that are in economic competition as opposed to those they see as the same. That's how "white" has been historically used as an end goal of any immigrant group in the U.S. to attain, as it keeps minority groups infighting instead of joining together.

But the other facet of racism, and what Get Out focuses more on, is even seeing people as innately "different" in the first place. Essentially, the moment you see someone as different in any large way - because- their skin color or features are different, you begin to dehumanize them because you're just sticking them in a category. And taken to the full extent, you get the way Chris was viewed in Get Out.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 14, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Would you mind giving some detail here?

I had to ask the person I was with what was said, I'll let you know if she remembers. I kind of let stuff like that go in one in and out the other unless it's especially egregious.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
still obsessed with the guy i heard saying the problem with the movie was that "once again scientists are the bad guy"

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

still obsessed with the guy i heard saying the problem with the movie was that "once again scientists are the bad guy"

bet that guy loving loves science

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

bet that guy loving loves science

I loving Love Race Science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I bet he's one of those people who gets super mad if you mention how great Frankenstein is

Darko posted:

I had to ask the person I was with what was said, I'll let you know if she remembers. I kind of let stuff like that go in one in and out the other unless it's especially egregious.

No big deal I'm just curious how that shakes out

Darko posted:

Tribalism is a huge part of it to. In fact, the economic part works so well because of the natural inclination of tribalism.

I just want to say that we don't know that this is a "natural" inclination, certainly not on the basis of appearance. Before European imperialism, skin color was not a major factor in the formation of social identity. In the (dumb) ape analogy that is often used as a prop for "race realism", chimpanzees don't distinguish their in groups on the basis of similar appearance.

• Locked thread