Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm basically snowed in, but as if I needed an excuse to watch Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Aphrodite posted:

So who's fired?

Sami's almost-main-but-not-really event spot.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the problem with that ending segment last night, was that HHH should have let Seth beat him up and then next week HHH should have stood tall
I think Triple H was impatient so he just had to be THE KING OF KINGS THE rear end KICKER last night as opposed to the following episode of RAW

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Aphrodite posted:

So who's fired?

the fans

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Triple Haitch is building new talent for the future

*books Oldberg v Part Timer Lesnar as Wrestlemania main event*

And Taker
And Shane
And Himself

Also Seth is going to stand tall next week and HHH will win at wrestlemania.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 14, 2017

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I imagine Sting hopes they both kill each other.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blaise330 posted:

I imagine Sting hopes they both kill each other.

Me too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its cool that they had one of the greatest of all time come out and tell Roman that everyone hates him just like everyone hated politicking pillhead Shawn twenty years ago. I did not expect that as part of the build.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the problem with that ending segment last night, was that HHH should have let Seth beat him up and then next week HHH should have stood tall

That sounds like it would be fun. Allowing Seth to triumphantly return and surprised HHH would be a nice change.

HHH can make a gameplan with time, but having a weakness to being surprised would be consistent character development. Nope, Hun-Torr was in effect.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also Seth is going to stand tall next week and HHH will win at wrestlemania.

HAHA HA! Here's a trick HHH learned years ago: convince people that it will build heat to have him look stronger on TV, so that it's all the sweeter and bigger payoff when he loses at PPV.

Except way less people watch PPV, and often one win doesn't cancel out 4 weeks of getting your rear end kicked, but HHH convinces the writers/other wrestlers every time.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

projecthalaxy posted:

Its cool that they had one of the greatest of all time come out and tell Roman that everyone hates him just like everyone hated politicking pillhead Shawn twenty years ago. I did not expect that as part of the build.

Hope he ran into Foley backstage. "Man this time of year sure is crazy. Hey remember that time you could have main evented wrestlemania if it wasn't for me? Good times, ah well, god bless *walks off*"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wazzu posted:

but HHH convinces the writers/other wrestlers every time.

HHH doesnt need to convince anyone. He is Stephanie trophy husband.

BUT HE WON THE MONDAY NIGHTS WARS AND HE IS BETTER THAN SHAWN!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

O/U 2 Styles Clashes Shane kicks out of

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

under

on the second one, he'll tuck his head and AJ will get blamed for it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Ok so Mick puts you in the mandible claw and the Stephanie hits him in the dick."
"Alright and then?"
"You're beating him up."
"I like this, keep going."
"Seth Rollins returns and fights you off, saving Mick."
"Ok and then what?"
"You roll out of the ring looking angry at Seth for beating you."
"Yeah alright and then?"
"And then the show ends?"
"And then?"
"Ok instead of the show ending you get a weapon and beat everyone up and you're the king of kings."
"Hell yeah now we got a show!"

This is how it went in my head.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sportsgenius86 posted:

just lol if AJ kills shane this way while having saved ellsworth from this

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

HHH doesnt need to convince anyone. He is Stephanie trophy husband.

BUT HE WON THE MONDAY NIGHTS WARS AND HE IS BETTER THAN SHAWN!

he has way more titles so he's obviously superior

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just defeated the djinn and cancelled out Yennfer's last wish, had Geralt tell her he doesn't have feelings for her anymore and now I feel like a MAJOR dick.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Just defeated the djinn and cancelled out Yennfer's last wish, had Geralt tell her he doesn't have feelings for her anymore and now I feel like a MAJOR dick.

No one cares

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did anyone else get the sense that Seth was teasing the curbstomp during that closing angle? I figured he'd at least try and hook Hunter for the Pedigree and Steph would kick him in the dick so her hubby could escape, but nope, lots of gesturing for jumps and hitting the ropes... (Maybe Trips realised he's booked himself into a paradox where he either has to let himself kick out of the Pedigree, the most powerful move in wrestling, or lose clean to it)

sportsgenius86 posted:

under

Doubt it, the second will probably be off the turnbuckle, so less risk.

CobiWann posted:

That is one of my favourite conversations in any video game because it's not typical Bioware romance stuff where you dump someone and they shrug it off, she's loving heartbroken and lets you know it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love how last night Graves discussed the phenemonen of Roman having an awesome match and people reacting viscerally to him being a great talent in the ring before it sinks in that oh my god this booking is loving awful! and everybody goes back to booing.

They're soooooo close to realizing what gently caress-ups they are but that last bit of self-awareness eludes them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I truly don't think Roman has awesome matches. He has very competent matches where the overly planned spots are usually kind of interesting, but Roman even though he can work has nothing interesting about him. He isn't technical, he isn't high flying, he isn't even that strong. He just knows how to hit his spots. Not to mention that his spots are boring as poo poo.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

The_Rob posted:

I truly don't think Roman has awesome matches. He has very competent matches where the overly planned spots are usually kind of interesting, but Roman even though he can work has nothing interesting about him. He isn't technical, he isn't high flying, he isn't even that strong. He just knows how to hit his spots. Not to mention that his spots are boring as poo poo.

From day one on the main roster he's been ridiculously protected and had his hand held. In the 4+ years he's been on the main roster nearly all of his matches have been against well-established talents (Bryan, Sheamus, Cena, Orton, HHH, Brock, etc) and many of them in multi-man matches where he could let Dean and Seth carry him. When he does have matches against the lower card guys like the PTP or Jinder or whoever they usually end up looking pretty bad but at least he can, as you said, hit his spots in a big man match with Braun or whoever.

Considering who he's been able to work with it's a bit of a shock that he hasn't really shown much improvement over the last 3 years.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I agree completely. He's also not very fluid in the ring, he looks very stiff and awkward.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The_Rob posted:

This is the big thing. They're trying to do the same thing they did with Cena with Reigns but there are reasons it can't and won't work unless Reigns has a magical leap forward. Cena was over as a singles guy, with face and heel runs, before his big run as champion where he started getting the big negative reactions. And a big thing about Cena that kept him on top was how masterfully he dealt with those split and outright negative reactions. And it ended up becoming kind of his thing. Reigns was never over as a singles guy before his big championship run. He was over as a part of Shield certainly, and it's like they took him from that and threw him right into the championship mix. So he never really had to prove before that that he could do singles runs and get over that way. And that to me is a big reason he's tanking now. Hitting those spots well and nothing else was a fine way of doing things in the Shield, since he didn't have to sell the group on his own and the other two guys compensated where he failed. Now they just have him doing those same spots and beating everyone and "looking strong" and thinking he'll just get over. But he won't until he learns how to be able to get people really into him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

e: ^^^ and I know it was Kurt Angle and all, but John Cena in his first match on the main roster showed more ability to work than Roman Reigns ever has by a fair margin.

Reigns isn't bad my any means, but his "match" is getting stale already and a lot of his praise comes from the fact that he's surrounded by a sea of poo poo oftentimes. It's not super hard to look like you're having a great match when you're in the only match of a 3-4 hour show not booked like total poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Roman can put on a good 3.5 star match every time but he never elevates it beyond that regardless of meltzer's opinions

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jim Ross wants Roman to turn heel at Wrestlemania, like most people do. He thinks it will help him be a better face later.

quote:

"Well, the smart answer is, ‘where are you going with it?’ If you’re trying to make Reigns and you make a commitment to make him a villain, let’s say, and I know WWE doesn’t like to have this dialogue much because they seem to be very hellbent that he’s going to be their next big fan favorite star. I can help you get to the next big fan favorite star scenario. It’s very easy. You let him turn heel blatantly with a cheat-to-win move, low blowish-type thing, against Undertaker and beat Undertaker, so you cheat to beat the great Undertaker at WrestleMania.

“So I would probably beat Undertaker with Reigns via heel shenanigans, cheating to gain an unfair advantage to beat The Deadman and then I would stick a microphone in Reigns’ face and tell him to be very natural, very arrogant, very cocky, ‘I told you this is my yard. It is my yard and nobody here can do a drat thing about it’ type of thing, ‘and if you guys don’t like it, you can kiss my rear end. How’s that?’ Something better said than that, but make him very defiant because the longer that reign is, that run is, more specifically as a villain, when he finally turns, and it’s certainly inevitable, he will be then that massive fan favorite that WWE has tried so strenuously to sell.”

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Roman can put on a good 3.5 star match every time but he never elevates it beyond that regardless of meltzer's opinions

Yeah that's exactly it. There aren't any Roman matches I'll ever go back and watch. He can go in there and do his job and that's about it, and I'd be ok with that if he had an interesting personality or something. Mediocre wrestlers get over on pure personality all the time, but he has nothing to latch on to other than he's booked to be the strongest.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Even if Roman could put on an amazing match, he's just not interesting in the slightest. And can't get enough of the crowd behind him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His matches are good but irl he comes across as a dork who takes himself too seriously and I think that bleeds into his character

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Undertaker should take Roman for a bike ride to Death Valley.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Roman should shave his head.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'm watching my DVR'ed Raw right now and just got to the Roman match/segment. It's clear that literally all of his problems stem from one simple thing: he has no personality/originality. He comes off as a dude crisply going through his spots during matches and he comes off as a dude reading a lovely script during his promos. I really don't think he's going to be any more interesting as a heel. Dude is just a dullard.

EDIT: Hahaha. Roman getting wrecked by Braun was loving hilarious. Also, they reminded me that Roman may retire the Undertaker and how much it will piss me off if they do that without ever giving us the Cena/Taker Mania match.

DeepDickPizza fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 14, 2017

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Chris James 2 posted:

2 styles clashes, 2 calf crushers, and somehow he counters a phenomenal forearm with a coast-2-coast. I'd say throw a gallows and anderson interference in too but eh, I think WWE forgot about the club when they didn't have all 3 of them celebrate having championships during the royal rumble.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Blaise330 posted:

somehow he counters a phenomenal forearm with a coast-2-coast

I'd like to witness the gravitational singularity that makes this possible, too

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

roman will never win another match now that everyone knows his weakness to belly slaps

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Watching the final segment now, and god drat HHH and Stephanie are awful shits.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Chris James 2 posted:

At least Reigns can sell?

reigns is exceptionally good, the only problem with him as a wrestler is his insanely stale character and booking

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Under the vegetable posted:

reigns is exceptionally good, the only problem with him as a wrestler is his insanely stale character and booking

And also him being uninteresting in every way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The_Rob posted:

Yeah that's exactly it. There aren't any Roman matches I'll ever go back and watch. He can go in there and do his job and that's about it, and I'd be ok with that if he had an interesting personality or something. Mediocre wrestlers get over on pure personality all the time, but he has nothing to latch on to other than he's booked to be the strongest.

Not even the iconic Roman Reigns Participates in a Battle Royale?

• Locked thread