Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MikeCrotch posted:

What's John Romero doing now?

getting mega salty on twitter, same as american mcgee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poemdexter posted:

Pretty sure that's not what he's best known for...

Oh you mean model rocketry? Yeah he's pretty big in that too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nah, it's Carmack's Reverse (also legally contentious, as I recall).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Discendo Vox posted:

I am deeply enjoying all these folks responding without reading my posts, over and over and over again- nor, it appears, reading anything else about the purposes of the H-visas and the current regulatory structure.
Wow, weird how opening with condescension, refusing to get into details until specifically prompted, and openly making GBS threads on the guy who has remarkably more experience Actually interacting with visa programs isn't garnering you wholesome praise. Goons, amirite? I'm familiar with "that discreet job board we put tailored reqs on to 'prove' we couldn't find an American" to dodge LCA's, and had enough friends get jerked around by the odd gaps between OPT and H1-B eligibility, other posters have a wealth of personal experience with exactly these programs, but sure presuming ignorance and avoiding specifics until directly prompted ought to lead to a good discussion. Maybe if you'd opened with any mention of LCA's, they're not popular amongst most tech folks who deal with them either, this could have gone smoother.

In particular, I don't see how ramping up enforcement of those regulations will do much. Companies already have boxes upon boxes of job titles ready to go. So it's not particularly difficult to have a Systems Engineer and Firmware Engineer working side by side on the same project, doing the same work, but because of that practically invisible title difference are compensated very differently. This came up in one of the hiring threads recently. Like companies are already geared to dodge 8a by dint of screwing workers over, the machinery's in place to dodge any serious pressure on trying to suss that out. Furthermore, the problematic body shops have zero issue showing that they're in compliance? How do those regulations attack those problems? Examine every B2B transaction down to which bodies are working?

Frankly I'd be more convinced if you just asserted Infosys would start ramming folks through L1's.

Subjunctive posted:

Nah, it's Carmack's Reverse (also legally contentious, as I recall).
0x5f3759df?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

JawnV6 posted:

0x5f3759df?

That's the fast inverse square root constant. Carmack's Reverse is different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Oh you mean model rocketry? Yeah he's pretty big in that too.

Nah, he's best known for living inside a computer.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/363003997172424704

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

That's the fast inverse square root constant. Carmack's Reverse is different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume

Whoa, cool! Thanks for this.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/841708655934226432

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, gently caress the "internet of things." It's pretty clear at this point that all household IoT products are just gussied-up surveillance devices and are for the most part completely unnecessary.

On the other hand, what were these people expecting? Anyone interested in an app-driven remote controlled dildo should have had a reasonable suspicion that their privacy could be at risk.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

On the other hand, what were these people expecting? Anyone interested in an app-driven remote controlled dildo should have had a reasonable suspicion that their privacy could be at risk.
Most people don't understand how computers work, and probably thought that the dildo and the app communicated with each other directly, rather than passing through servers at the app developer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Most people don't understand how computers work, and probably thought that the dildo and the app communicated with each other directly, rather than passing through servers at the app developer.

There are actual remote control vibrators that function with RF remotes already on the market, so people probably assumed it was something like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
People are not yet accustomed to thinking critically about data security when buying a dildo. They're not dumb, it'll just take some time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my mother in law is a huge tech head and she keeps buying all this cloud poo poo like that amazon chat bot thing or toys for my daughter like a bear that you can record messages on and i refuse to use any of this crap but i dont know how to get her to stop buying it. she just refuses to accept my stance on the internet in my house re: limit it to laptops and televisions only. she also wants to buy me a gun too

its gonna be so much worse when your loving toothbrush is archiving your daily brush habits to some database in bangalore

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

boner confessor posted:

my mother in law is a huge tech head and she keeps buying all this cloud poo poo like that amazon chat bot thing or toys for my daughter like a bear that you can record messages on and i refuse to use any of this crap but i dont know how to get her to stop buying it. she just refuses to accept my stance on the internet in my house re: limit it to laptops and televisions only. she also wants to buy me a gun too

its gonna be so much worse when your loving toothbrush is archiving your daily brush habits to some database in bangalore

Huxberry? Huckleberry?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, and this will never actually change. Our world is full of abstractions average people don't understand, and then laws that ensure these abstractions don't have adverse problems, cars have standards, fire doors have standards, computers have standards, phones have standards. The Internet of Things needs standards for PII otherwise this will keep happening.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

boner confessor posted:

Wasn't there a breach with that bear thing where millions of voice recordings of the kids/parents were leaked? If news stories like that aren't enough then idk

yep
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 14, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't there a breach with that bear thing where millions of voice recordings of the kids/parents were leaked? If news stories like that aren't enough then idk

https://www.troyhunt.com/data-from-connected-cloudpets-teddy-bears-leaked-and-ransomed-exposing-kids-voice-messages/

This what you're thinking of?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

I certainly haven't heard about this, but I generally don't search for news about children's toys.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

yep
vvv

yeah there totally was, as if having a bear that uploads your child's speech to an anonymous server run by some two bit toy company isn't creepy enough

i also have a pair of internet enabled baby monitor cameras sitting in the bottom of the closet, unopened, for the same reason

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Help Im Alive posted:

yep
vvv

Less a breach, more they made absolutely no attempt to hide it.

It's be like if a bank's vault was actually just the alleyway behind it and they just assumed no one would come take the stuff sitting out in full sight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, and this will never actually change. Our world is full of abstractions average people don't understand, and then laws that ensure these abstractions don't have adverse problems, cars have standards, fire doors have standards, computers have standards, phones have standards. The Internet of Things needs standards for PII otherwise this will keep happening.

poo poo, computers are full of abstractions that developers don't understand and this is the root of a lot of these security issues.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So Uber vetoed certain parts of São Paulo because of reasons (favelas), or in other words, gently caress transporting poor people.

The answer? Well, a couple of folks from one of the disenfranchised areas organized and created Ubra, a transportation service focused on the poorest areas with a rigorous vetting process for both drivers and vehicles and charges a pre-fixed price through the distance measured by google maps. It runs R$ 2,00 per km against Uber's 1,80, but Uber charges along the municipal tax.

But the other big thing is that they charge less for old people needing transport for medical visits, spouses of convicts and people with physical disabilities, focusing on the social aspect of transportation. So, eat poo poo, Uber.

(http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-39225699)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Transmetropolitan posted:

So Uber vetoed certain parts of São Paulo because of reasons (favelas), or in other words, gently caress transporting poor people.

The answer? Well, a couple of folks from one of the disenfranchised areas organized and created Ubra, a transportation service focused on the poorest areas with a rigorous vetting process for both drivers and vehicles and charges a pre-fixed price through the distance measured by google maps. It runs R$ 2,00 per km against Uber's 1,80, but Uber charges along the municipal tax.

But the other big thing is that they charge less for old people needing transport for medical visits, spouses of convicts and people with physical disabilities, focusing on the social aspect of transportation. So, eat poo poo, Uber.

(http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-39225699)

While I generally applaud anything opposing Uber and its lovely practices, isn't Ubra pretty much a normal small remise/cab agency with an app?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

While I generally applaud anything opposing Uber and its lovely practices, isn't Ubra pretty much a normal small remise/cab agency with an app?

From what I gathered, the drivers have more autonomy (from the article, some of them prefer to not charge the ride home for the elderly clients, for example) and get paid a lot more than standard cab services here (which are also lovely overall). So I think they work as an agency, but try to operate differently than business as usual.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
More integration between local agencies and better working standards for their drivers would be nice. It's the kind of thing that governments should step into, make an option more attractive/safe/regulated than Uber for both drivers and passengers, and people will probably use it more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Good news! The acting head of the Federal Trade Commission says it's premature to regulate!

quote:

Many technologists have called for industry standardization in Internet of Things (IoT) devices in the wake of the hack on internet backbone provider Dyn late in 2016, which was widely attributed to a single Chinese manufacturer of low-security webcams. Asked whether there should be mandatory regulations rather than suggestions from industry groups, Ohlhausen said, “We haven’t taken a position.”

“We’re saying not ‘Let’s speculate about harm five years out,’ but ‘Is there something happening that harms consumers right now or is likely to cause harm to consumers,’” Ohlhausen told the audience at the conference. If there is potential harm to consumers in a new technology, the FTC should not act until that harm manifests, she said: “We don’t know if that risk will materialize. It may well materialize, but a solution may materialize at the same time.”

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Reactive regulation.

Same thing with President Baby's idea to release all the unapproved drugs and then let the free market decide which are the best. Sucks to be the grandma that got the immunotherapy drug that causes a cytokine storm.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Edit: sorry! that was the point you were making.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/841708655934226432

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, gently caress the "internet of things." It's pretty clear at this point that all household IoT products are just gussied-up surveillance devices and are for the most part completely unnecessary.

Eh, I'd venture to guess most household IoT products are just household IoT products that persist data on a backend. If manufacturers actually use the data is another thing entirely, but it's reasonable to use the data to track aggregate statistics to make further improvements.

Having said that, I don't own any IoT things not because I don't trust the manufacturers with the data, but because I don't trust hackers that will eventually get it because the manufacturers don't understand security.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Estimates for Snap's ad revenue have been cut, and shares just hit an all-time low

Not really huge news, more of a water is wet situation.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think cytokine storms are more of an issue in young adult patients with healthy immune systems.
Immunotherapy drugs include antibodies that target immunoregulatory proteins. A lot of cancers express these proteins that negatively regulate activity of cytotoxic T cells. Masking these proteins allows the immune system to "see" the cancer again and destroy it. However a major side effect of these drugs, especially in combination, are off-target autoimmune activity. Patients need high dose steroids quickly before the flare causes organ failure or brain swelling and death. Cancer patients are desperate for drugs and walking back regulation on these drugs in particular would result in a lot of dead cancer patients. No reputable doctor would start an intervention with a drug without solid human dosing/guidance/management/side effects information anyways so kind of moot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poemdexter posted:

Having said that, I don't own any IoT things not because I don't trust the manufacturers with the data, but because I don't trust hackers that will eventually get it because the manufacturers don't understand security.

it's gonna rule when 4chan shitheads turn your refrigerator off in the middle of the night for lulz

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Isn't part of the reason We-Vibe got in trouble is because they didn't even bother putting a note in tiny font at the bottom of the manual that they would store that info?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Who wants to bet that Adobe indexes all your stuff on the cloud and is setting up some sort of system that allows others to preview it and offer money/licensing/job? Disrupt disrupt disrupt.

Zhong Bao has made an offer for your IP: "centrifuge-design-rev34". Click here to license for $5!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

it's gonna rule when 4chan shitheads turn your refrigerator off in the middle of the night for lulz

We'll bring back a modern day version of the classic "Is your refrigerator running?" joke.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

yeah there totally was, as if having a bear that uploads your child's speech to an anonymous server run by some two bit toy company isn't creepy enough

i also have a pair of internet enabled baby monitor cameras sitting in the bottom of the closet, unopened, for the same reason
My daughter was given a cloudpets bear (which I luckily never bothered to set up), and looking at the instructions it's not made very clear that they're storing messages on their server. Several mentions that your phone communicates with the bear through bluetooth, and reminders that it only works when your phone is within bluetooth range. The closest mention to storing messages on a server is this instruction:

CloudPets posted:

Friends/Family can connect to your CloudPets App through our CloudPets Cloud.
They somehow managed to leave off the part about storing the messages with no encryption or authentication to prevent other people from getting at them. I would not at all be surprised if non-technical people just assumed that it worked like an answering machine, storing the messages directly on the toy instead on some random poorly secured server.

I presume that this post looks disturbing/hilarious with the cloud-to-butt extension installed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

g0del posted:

I would not at all be surprised if non-technical people just assumed that it worked like an answering machine, storing the messages directly on the toy instead on some random poorly secured server.

oh totally, i'm not blaming anyone for lacking the technical knowledge and skepticism to be suspicious of internet enabled toys for toddlers. i'm way more chideful of people who take nudes with their smartphones haha

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

It's gonna rule when overnight, a ton of people have their refrigerators suddenly mining bitcoins, their power bills go through the roof, and they have no choice but to unplug their refrigerator letting their food spoil.

For the lulz of course.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Immunotherapy drugs include antibodies that target immunoregulatory proteins. A lot of cancers express these proteins that negatively regulate activity of cytotoxic T cells. Masking these proteins allows the immune system to "see" the cancer again and destroy it. However a major side effect of these drugs, especially in combination, are off-target autoimmune activity. Patients need high dose steroids quickly before the flare causes organ failure or brain swelling and death. Cancer patients are desperate for drugs and walking back regulation on these drugs in particular would result in a lot of dead cancer patients. No reputable doctor would start an intervention with a drug without solid human dosing/guidance/management/side effects information anyways so kind of moot.

Yeah, sorry, I misread your original post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How meaningful is "all-time low" when "all time" is a week? Jeez.

In related news, marketers see better ROI on any social media platform other than Snapchat. Well, not *quite* any.

quote:

Between Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Yahoo, AOL and YouTube, Snapchat only outperformed AOL in terms of ROI, scoring a 3.43 out of a possible 8 points, according to the survey (AOL scored a 2.88). Google (6.98) and Facebook (6.72) led the pack, performing nearly twice as better than Snapchat, RBC said.

Marketers cited increased competition from Instagram, difficulty measuring key performance indicators, poor targeting and a decrease in both user engagement and open rates as reasons why their ROI with Snapchat decreased, according to RBC.
AdAge and RBC Capital Markets sponsored the survey, and it looks reasonably legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

duz posted:

Isn't part of the reason We-Vibe got in trouble is because they didn't even bother putting a note in tiny font at the bottom of the manual that they would store that info?

This is the problem. Startups run under this assumption that it is moral to snaffle all the data they can in order to 'improve the user experience', but this is an entirely self serving morality that invents a whole industry of surveilling users, such as full on screen watching with Full Story, every single action you do.

Extending this self serving morality to hardware devices takes already intrusive surveillance and turns it up a notch by making it always on practically. It's no longer just visiting the website that is surveilled, but every activity relating to an object which only tells you what features it gives, not what it takes from you to deliver those features + serve the goals of the manufacturer.