Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aurora posted:

http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/130/4101/1

I'm not sure I understand why All Might is apologizing to Deku or why Deku seems so down about what he's saying at the end, maybe something lost in the flashback translation or something

Probably because he has a death sentence hanging over his head and hasn't told anyone until now. I'm pretty sure that "gruesome demise" wasn't referring to the fight with All For One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was under the impression that All Might chose Midoriya over Togata. But apparently he never even met Togata before passing on his power.

Midoriya is probably afraid that he regrets that choice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's really hammering in the difference in heroing ideology here. Deku being told you can't save everyone immediately when that's basically the opposite of All Might's "hey I rescued like 12 people on the way to the meeting which is why I was late" style which he can do since he's All Might probably shook him up as much as anything.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There is a nonzero chance that All Might is going to get popped by Chisaki

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

There is a nonzero chance that All Might is going to get popped by Chisaki

If they're going to go full trope, he'll get popped while trying to save either Midoriya or the little kid.
Still, I look forward to both All Might and Midoriya sitting down and just getting this in the open. And I think hanging with the "be realistic" office is going to be good for him, these opposing views are going to be the mindset of most the people he'll be fighting with, even among his classmates I suspect.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's true, Deku's biggest weakness so far is that his Shonen Hero Instincts are writing checks his body can't cash. This might help temper that.

Isn't Nighteye's foresight supposed to only last an hour?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm confused and I imagine it's a conversational/translation thing but it's hard to tell if Nighteye was specifically predicting All Might's death years out with his quirk- or if he's just PERSONALLY predicting it because of his nature of being a guy who thoughtfully plans and predicts stuff.

A couple of chapters ago he specifically says his quirk only predicts everything for an hour- but All Might seemed annoyed at Nighteye "looking at him" and making this dire prediction.

Also I like that this chapter again underscores how dumb the Symbol of Peace thing is even if Nighteye still doggedly believes in it as much as All Might. I dunno if it's intentional or not though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I'm confused and I imagine it's a conversational/translation thing but it's hard to tell if Nighteye was specifically predicting All Might's death years out with his quirk- or if he's just PERSONALLY predicting it because of his nature of being a guy who thoughtfully plans and predicts stuff.

A couple of chapters ago he specifically says his quirk only predicts everything for an hour- but All Might seemed annoyed at Nighteye "looking at him" and making this dire prediction.

Also I like that this chapter again underscores how dumb the Symbol of Peace thing is even if Nighteye still doggedly believes in it as much as All Might. I dunno if it's intentional or not though.

I feel it's intentional. The Symbol of Peace is idealistic, but not practical. Putting all the hopes and dreams on a single individual is not just hypothetically potentially disastrous--historically it's an unstable way to build your society. Take, for example, the k'uhul ajaws (essentially god-kings) of the ancient maya; they embodied the state and were also the center of religion and their cults promoted the authority of that state. But when these god-kings started getting beheaded with alarming frequency, it led to the demise of the lowland Maya (among other factors).

In short: You don't build a society on the basis of one individual's incorruptibility and/or power.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My thoughts during the whole exchange about Deku's thoughts:

Clouded, these things are. Strong, the dark side is.

I got a serious Jedi vibe from all the cloudy talk.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

I feel it's intentional. The Symbol of Peace is idealistic, but not practical. Putting all the hopes and dreams on a single individual is not just hypothetically potentially disastrous--historically it's an unstable way to build your society. Take, for example, the k'uhul ajaws (essentially god-kings) of the ancient maya; they embodied the state and were also the center of religion and their cults promoted the authority of that state. But when these god-kings started getting beheaded with alarming frequency, it led to the demise of the lowland Maya (among other factors).

In short: You don't build a society on the basis of one individual's incorruptibility and/or power.

You say that but we have no indication that there's anything better. We'd like to say democracy but we've really less than 300 years of history with that (if we use the American Revolution. It's even less if we use the French Revolution or whenever Britain got around to giving males votes) . Even the Mayan Classic era lasted well over 600 years.

I do agree that it's not a sustainable process in the case of All Might and this story is basically about that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There's no such thing as a model of governance or society that cannot be ideal under the perfect circumstances--- circumstances that are virtually unachievable under real life pressures. Although he never actually held any government position, All Might's role paralleled that of a perfect, benevolent dictator: holding ultimate power, incorruptible and utterly selfless, focused entirely on the betterment of his people. In theory, a benevolent dictatorship works, and it did in practice when All Might was at the height of his strength.

The problem is that unless the benevolent dictator is immortal, you end up with the biggest power vacuum ever when they step away. Someone else might arise who has some of their traits, but surely not all of them, and you need every single one of them to make that previous system work. Something's gotta give. And thus, the setting of My Hero Academia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ChronoReverse posted:

You say that but we have no indication that there's anything better. We'd like to say democracy but we've really less than 300 years of history with that (if we use the American Revolution. It's even less if we use the French Revolution or whenever Britain got around to giving males votes) . Even the Mayan Classic era lasted well over 600 years.

I do agree that it's not a sustainable process in the case of All Might and this story is basically about that.

It's less about egalitarianism/democracy and more about redundancy. There's always a freak meteor made out of poisonous snakes that strikes in the night which can take out any single pillar. But if you have multiple pillars, then justice doesn't fall even if you loose a few pillars.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

It's less about egalitarianism/democracy and more about redundancy. There's always a freak meteor made out of poisonous snakes that strikes in the night which can take out any single pillar. But if you have multiple pillars, then justice doesn't fall even if you loose a few pillars.

On the flipside, when you have multiple pillars, if one goes down, that might be sufficient to cause the remainder to slip into a power struggle.

It's hard enough to find one incorruptible pillar. More likely you end up with multiple corrupted pillars working against each other in a semi-stable configuration.

We have to remember that the only reason the world of MHA seems stable and prosperous is literally because of All Might. His idea of the Symbol of Peace was absolutely correct and needed for their society but as noted, it's not sustainable. MHA is clearly the story of the transition to something sustainable and despite Midoriya's destiny of becoming the greatest hero, I do not believe he will reinstitute the Symbol of Peace in a single person.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gyges posted:

Democracy has tons of failsafes in general. And, perhaps most importantly, is designed to avoid centralization of power by any one group, which while causing gridlock also prevents broad authoritarian takeovers.

(looks at current United States and several European states)

Well that's the intention at least.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ChronoReverse posted:

We have to remember that the only reason the world of MHA seems stable and prosperous is literally because of All Might. His idea of the Symbol of Peace was absolutely correct and needed for their society but as noted, it's not sustainable. MHA is clearly the story of the transition to something sustainable and despite Midoriya's destiny of becoming the greatest hero, I do not believe he will reinstitute the Symbol of Peace in a single person.
I'm guessing the thesis of this story will be "the transition from Silver Age Superman solving everything himself and clearly overshadowing all the other heroes to Modern Age Superman leading the Justice League and being the first among equals."

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Midoriya's going to be the best hero because he's going to inspire everyone to be the best heros they can be. Anyone can be the greatest hero and everyone will be the greatest hero. All Might created a One-for-All society, Midoriya is going to create an All-for-All society.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Davinci posted:

Midoriya's going to be the best hero because he's going to inspire everyone to be the best heros they can be. Anyone can be the greatest hero and everyone will be the greatest hero. All Might created a One-for-All society, Midoriya is going to create an All-for-All society.

that sounds like commie talk

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JT Jag posted:

Democracy has tons of failsafes in general. And, perhaps most importantly, is designed to avoid centralization of power by any one group, which while causing gridlock also prevents broad authoritarian takeovers.

(looks at current United States and several European states)

Well that's the intention at least.

That is specifically republicanism modeled after the Roman republic, not democracy. The ancient Greek form of democracy inevitably lead to tyranny because there was no failsafe for a tyrant getting elected.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ChronoReverse posted:

On the flipside, when you have multiple pillars, if one goes down, that might be sufficient to cause the remainder to slip into a power struggle.

It's hard enough to find one incorruptible pillar. More likely you end up with multiple corrupted pillars working against each other in a semi-stable configuration.

Perhaps Midorya's class will become the new symbol of peace, showing that it's not just an individual, but a result of a group coming together and using all their skills to best use collectively.

What I'm saying is we're watching the early stages of the Anime Justice League getting formed.

Except the Grape Kid. He died on the way back to his home planet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also the problem with All Might's philosophy from a personal level is that the person who becomes the symbol does so at great personal expense.

All Might basically threw away his life. Nana gave up her family and apparently died hideously. Midoriya is on the way to probably not being able to lift his arms above his head by the time he's in his 30's.

It all looks very noble but from our perspective of getting to know him it'd be a ridiculously awful tragedy if he actually really followed in All Might's footsteps because he's going to destroy himself in front of the people that love him.

But we could be in for that ride at least in a way- Horikoshi's favorite hero is Spiderman, and Spiderman typically does not have a happy or good life outside of the costume.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
No one should ever be forced into sacrificing for the greater good but being willing to perform such a sacrifice with full knowledge is what defines a hero.

The presence of superheroes and the police force was insufficent to lift MHA's society out of chaos. That's how important the Symbol of Peace is to that world.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
woah, suddenly this is the legend of galactic heroes thread.

also the artwork in this chapter felt like the mangaka was trying to make up for his exhaustion earlier. wounded all might in the flashback looked amazing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Perhaps Midorya's class will become the new symbol of peace, showing that it's not just an individual, but a result of a group coming together and using all their skills to best use collectively.

What I'm saying is we're watching the early stages of the Anime Justice League getting formed.

Except the Grape Kid. He died on the way back to his home planet.

Someone needs to be The Flash in the anime Justice League

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also the artwork in this chapter felt like the mangaka was trying to make up for his exhaustion earlier. wounded all might in the flashback looked amazing

I sure hope not because that's how he'll exhaust himself again.

It was an interesting chapter though, this manga is at its best when All Might is directly involved.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Davinci posted:

Midoriya is like Alibaba in Magi compared with All Might's Sinbad (except All Might isn't an egotistical douchebag).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

That is specifically republicanism modeled after the Roman republic, not democracy. The ancient Greek form of democracy inevitably lead to tyranny because there was no failsafe for a tyrant getting elected.

Turns out there are never enough failsafes for a popular enough tyrant.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also it seemed like plague doctor guy was curing peoples diseases or somthing so i'm gonna say that his quirk either cures diseases and then can transfer that harm to another person (probably not the actual disease) or it reverses the healthy/dying condition.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Calling it now, All-Might's gonna get his chronic condition cured by the villain and hijinks will ensue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pretty sure that's what just about everyone is expecting, in one form or another.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So that accident mentioned in the first page, I wonder if that hints as to why he is called Overhaul. What is his villain name in Japanese? Does it roughly match?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

also it seemed like plague doctor guy was curing peoples diseases or somthing so i'm gonna say that his quirk either cures diseases and then can transfer that harm to another person (probably not the actual disease) or it reverses the healthy/dying condition.

It's a possible explanation for his minion's loyalty too; infinite magic healthcare for the low, low price of doing violent crime forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elfgames posted:

he's the chef from jojo part 4

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Elfgames posted:

Actually, if this is the case, a lot of things start to make sense. If his power is to draw illness from people and then discharge the effects into others, I'd guess his "daughter's" quirk is that she's basically a bioweapon that constantly needs to be drained. Without a constant source of illness like her, his offensive powers would be much more mundane. But more importantly it would explain why he geeked that one henchman for letting her get away: if this were true, not only would she be the lynchpin of his operation, but she's a massive danger to the world if she's out of his sight for long.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have a feeling that she's the one with the healing quirk. Weren't they going to hook up a needle to drain some of her blood when we cut away?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'd have to go back to the Twice chapter to confirm, but wasn't the implication there that Overhaul's quirk turns people into a puddle of goo, then after a short time they reform in perfect health?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The girl def absorbs people's injuries.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fallen Angels translation really makes it seem like Nighteye somehow is predicting All Might's death far in the future despite him explicitly saying his foresight only goes an hour out. idgi :shrug:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Fabricated posted:

Fallen Angels translation really makes it seem like Nighteye somehow is predicting All Might's death far in the future despite him explicitly saying his foresight only goes an hour out. idgi :shrug:

Maybe Nighteye lied. Maybe it lasts until he changes targets.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

That detail about his quirk was in Sir's internal monlogue, which seems like an odd place to lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crazyeyes posted:

You don't need a quirk to accurately predict some things. His long association with All Might plus that conversation in the hospital pretty much spelt out what would happen.

It's much the same thing when thrill-seekers end up in the hospital because of their hobbies/habits and have no plans to change what they're doing despite having ended up in the hospital because of it.