Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

You posted the wrong version, let me fix that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeNwzpFIak

Comparing ME2's intro to Andromeda isn't wholly fair because a lot of the strength of ME2's opening is that these are characters and a setting that we're already invested in. While it would still be cool and interesting without that element, knowing who Shepard and Joker are and why losing the Normandy is painful makes it that much more impactful. Andromeda doesn't have that advantage due to the soft reboot. But like another poster said, ME1 was in the same boat as Andromeda and still had a really cool and epic feeling opening, despite a lot of the story beats being vaguely similar to Andromeda's first hour or so.

Spikeguy posted:

Hell I would have loved a scene like this to show Shepard just how much of her body wasn't her anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

I was always disappointed that ME3 never played with the implication that Shepard's body had been partially rebuilt using Reaper tech. Having Harbinger ASSUME CONTROL of her eyes or whatever to cause visual hallucinations like in Overlord or TIM shutting off your abilities at random during his boss fight (lol) would have been neat. Could have had a subplot where people start questioning Shepard's stability as her body keeps betraying her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

1stGear posted:

I was always disappointed that ME3 never played with the implication that Shepard's body had been partially rebuilt using Reaper tech. Having Harbinger ASSUME CONTROL of her eyes or whatever to cause visual hallucinations like in Overlord or TIM shutting off your abilities at random during his boss fight (lol) would have been neat. Could have had a subplot where people start questioning Shepard's stability as her body keeps betraying her.

That is how I played ME3. I played it as Shepherd slowly succumbing to indoctrination (with the scars and my little mod to give her Illusive man eyes) and the whole game was her battle against it. Hence the weird star child dreams and why I chose destroy. It fit my whole mental story perfectly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the me2 intro is one of the best intros of all time

of ALL TIME

it was drat near perfect

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Was it ever stated Shepard was rebuilt with Reaper Tech?

Everyone says that Shepard had synthetics in them, but I don't think they were the same as Husks other than the glowing scars and possibly the same eyes as TIM and Saren, but I chalked they up to reusing assets

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

VideoGames posted:

That is how I played ME3. I played it as Shepherd slowly succumbing to indoctrination (with the scars and my little mod to give her Illusive man eyes) and the whole game was her battle against it. Hence the weird star child dreams and why I chose destroy. It fit my whole mental story perfectly.

This is how I approach it as well. And then time to party down on the Citadel.

Side note: I have to say, I started avoiding this thread and basically the internet in general while I started to play the game because things started to get too negative for me. Now I know that's on me and no one else, and far be it from me to tell other people how to act. But I know, for myself, my enjoyment of 3 was dampened a little bit because of all the negativity to the leaks before 3 and I didn't want that this time. But I'm glad people who have played the game have been more positive than I thought they would be. I like talking about games without getting all "things have never been worse, Bioware was always bad and life sucks." But I'm a weirdo so there is that.

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

This is how I approach it as well. And then time to party down on the Citadel.

'The best.'

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its the music

they lacked a cool swelling me-esque music string during the reveal of the ark in the intro

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zzulu posted:

the me2 intro is one of the best intros of all time

of ALL TIME

it was drat near perfect

many parts of Mass Effect 2 fit this qualification

it owns pretty hard

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zzulu posted:

its the music

they lacked a cool swelling me-esque music string during the reveal of the ark in the intro

the big chunk of stream i watched seemed really devoid of music in general to me but i don't know if that was just due to the game volume being turned down so the commentators could be heard over it

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I only just noticed you can see the woman who gets thrown to the ground catch fire in the background, and when Joker is like 'somebody get that fire out' like half of it is her burning corpse. Hell of a goddamn intro.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I haven't gotten to the first open world so far but can anyone confirm/deny if it feels like the Hinterlands? Does it have a lot of filler side quests or do the side quests feel better? And how is the banter?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Zzulu posted:

its the music

Piano is a poor replacement for synth

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGames posted:

Also people are saying it's more like Mass Effect 1 than the others is probably the reason I am so happy to have a potentially good game hidden under the strangeness.

I am sorry for those who think Mass Effect 2 is the best one. This might not be the Mass Effect game for you.
For those like me who do not like Mass Effect 2, this might be way more your cup of tea.

I like both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2...

Equally :can:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

the big chunk of stream i watched seemed really devoid of music in general to me but i don't know if that was just due to the game volume being turned down so the commentators could be heard over it

No I barely heard any music myself. It was just ambient calm and soothing. I would have preferred awesome music.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
This has probably been said before but the AI link with SAM is, I think, a way for the game to let people change class by loading "profiles."

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zzulu posted:

its the music

Yea I think it adds a ton. Sound direction was really good throughout ME2, 1,2 and 3 really had that going for them.

SNAP watch the arm!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I cancelled my BB preorder and didn't realize I needed to manually cancel the free steelbook so I got charged 10 bucks for it. This is the worst Mass Effect ever.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

I haven't gotten to the first open world so far but can anyone confirm/deny if it feels like the Hinterlands? Does it have a lot of filler side quests or do the side quests feel better? And how is the banter?

Sort of - it's kind of a big empty (and a little boring) zone and there are versions of some of the DA:I stuff there (calling in the forward operating base pod thingies, activating towers, resource gathering), so that's similar. But on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any of the really egregious MMO sidequest stuff or collectathons. Maybe more of that gets introduced after the portion that's available in the demo, or on some of the other planets though.

Banter is alright. Didn't notice anything standout in the time I played but basically your squadmates chat while you're riding around in the not-Mako.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Game good I like it

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Norns posted:

Anyone else's poo poo crash at cutscenes randomly?

OCed i5 2500k (4.7), gtx 1070, ssd, 16 gigs of ram.

Ultra settings over 60fps at 1080p with temporal AA.

Other than those cutscenes crashing it runs great.

Yep crashed 4 times in an hour. Don't really want to play it because of this shite, despite liking the game. Interestingly I also have a GTX 1070, i5 and run at 1080p.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Game good I like it

Wrong!

Have you seen these wacky faces? No way this game could be good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

VideoGames posted:

No I barely heard any music myself. It was just ambient calm and soothing. I would have preferred awesome music.

yeah the music so far has been quite underwhelming compared to any of the earlier ones I havent noticed any "hero theme" thus far but I didnt actually play the game too long yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Remember the brom scene in Horizon? And everyone thought it would be awful and then it turned out to be an amazing game.

Well after 10 hours the game changes everything and becomes normal. EA are seeing if it works for them too!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Remember the brom scene in Horizon? And everyone thought it would be awful and then it turned out to be an amazing game.

Well after 10 hours the game changes everything and becomes normal. EA are seeing if it works for them too!!

are you being sarcastic or serious

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is it just me or does it seem like all the characters are like super tiny short people?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I probably skipped a bunch of stuff but think I played for a little over 4 hours before I met the trial wall and was unable to proceed any further. I first thought it was like 10 hours of free play but I guess it makes sense that they lock the content after a certain point to avoid people rushing through it

e: unless you can play on if you pre-order the game? idk

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
we'll all carry the memry of that brom scene in our hearts and in2 andromeda

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I probably skipped a bunch of stuff but think I played for a little over 4 hours before I met the trial wall and was unable to proceed any further. I first thought it was like 10 hours of free play but I guess it makes sense that they lock the content after a certain point to avoid people rushing through it

There's enough side stuff that you can sink 10 hours if you explore, but yeah, they put a content wall right before the first big plot point on Eos.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I hope this is a serious post lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sort of - it's kind of a big empty (and a little boring) zone and there are versions of some of the DA:I stuff there (calling in the forward operating base pod thingies, activating towers, resource gathering), so that's similar. But on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any of the really egregious MMO sidequest stuff or collectathons. Maybe more of that gets introduced after the portion that's available in the demo, or on some of the other planets though.

Banter is alright. Didn't notice anything standout in the time I played but basically your squadmates chat while you're riding around in the not-Mako.

I'm glad they chat in the rover. I couldn't use the drat horse in Inquisition because the banter was one of the reasons I liked the game so much.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

lazorexplosion posted:

I only just noticed you can see the woman who gets thrown to the ground catch fire in the background, and when Joker is like 'somebody get that fire out' like half of it is her burning corpse. Hell of a goddamn intro.

Awesome, I didn't notice it before!

Not really comparing them so much (me:a to me:2), I just wanted to post it - I really like that intro.

I like the Ark design in me:a's intro. Better music could have sold it. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnksPKP-v4

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

are you being sarcastic or serious

Sarcastic. It was a bad attempt at a joke. :( That's why I put two exclamation points in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe the Super Duper Deluxe Version has exclusive animations.

And by that, I mean it's actually a PC copy of Vanquish.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I guess I'm buying the game, can't wait to get a little dirty 😬 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPK4mznNMVc

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Sarcastic. It was a bad attempt at a joke. :( That's why I put two exclamation points in.

You're always so enthusiastic it's hard to tell!!

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
some of these andromeda videos are like a vic berger cut up but real

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've kinda really soured on this game, I went back to try after quitting yesterday and hit the trial wall pretty soon after anyway.

The Tempest starts out so frustratingly bad it makes traversing the open world something I'm not remotely interested in, I assume it gets better with upgrades but I actually can't quite believe how bad that thing is at going up hills. Even in ATV mode it sloooowly chugs up these very slight hills.

The radiation stuff again makes travelling something I don't want to do.

The combat is not awful its just not very good, not giving you a cover button was a mistake, I've been killed a couple times by Ryder just standing in the open behind a box or peice of cover the game doesn't register. The game has all those dodges and jumps which do help a little at getting out of fire but you die so fast if you're not crouched behind a wall there's not much reason to not just hunker down.
I'm vanguard and my rare quality alien shotgun is extremely disappointing, the charge-melee combo works well but the shotgun actually got me killed the first time I used it because it was so unimpressive I thought it wasn't firing.

On the plus side:

Skills look decent.

Space sudoku is at least something new in the hall of hacking minigames as far as I know.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

i don't know enough about horizon zero dawn to get the context that's on me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

I've kinda really soured on this game, I went back to try after quitting yesterday and hit the trial wall pretty soon after anyway.

The Tempest starts out so frustratingly bad it makes traversing the open world something I'm not remotely interested in, I assume it gets better with upgrades but I actually can't quite believe how bad that thing is at going up hills. Even in ATV mode it sloooowly chugs up these very slight hills.

The radiation stuff again makes travelling something I don't want to do.

The combat is not awful its just not very good, not giving you a cover button was a mistake, I've been killed a couple times by Ryder just standing in the open behind a box or peice of cover the game doesn't register. The game has all those dodges and jumps which do help a little at getting out of fire but you die so fast if you're not crouched behind a wall there's not much reason to not just hunker down.
I'm vanguard and my rare quality alien shotgun is extremely disappointing, the charge-melee combo works well but the shotgun actually got me killed the first time I used it because it was so unimpressive I thought it wasn't firing.

On the plus side:

Skills look decent.

Space sudoku is at least something new in the hall of hacking minigames as far as I know.

I read that the future planets have less of this radiation nonsense going on and are more fully traversable from the get go... which only really compounds the error of having it so you're gated off on the first planet by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rookersh posted:

Bioware doesn't exist anymore.

DA:O was a surprise success that took 6ish years to make and almost everyone working at Bioware to put out the door. EA had no faith in it, and suddenly it was one of their top selling franchises. So they did what EA does to highly successful franchises, and asked Bioware to make another one. Except for this new one, they wanted it started and finished in under a year, as they had a dream of an annual RPG franchise. Mind you that's hard enough to pull off for FPS games which are relatively simple to make with multiple teams. Bioware was expected to put together a full length AAA RPG in 6-7 months while also putting out the last of the DA:O DLC.

This killed the company. Huge swathes of people up and quit. They couldn't handle the stress. They couldn't handle what they were expected to do. Every single major program director and creative lead left the company during this year period where they were developing DA2. Go look at LinkedIn profiles for the major people that worked on DA:O, and more then half of them suddenly leave Bioware in 2010. The combat director quit and wasn't replaced for months, so they had no real lead directing what the combat should have been during that period. Major story beats and combat ideas got forced into the game in the final months of 2010 not because they were good, but because the game needed to ship in a few months and it needed to get out the door. To help the DA team actually finish DA2 in a somewhat annual fashion, they drew most of the ME2 team off ME, throwing them into this grinder as well.

By the time DA2 launched, around half if not more of the original "Bioware" was gone. Go through the credits of DA:O, ME1, or ME2 and start LinkedIning people, none of them work for Bioware anymore. Most left between 2010 and 2012.

It's been a pretty steady drain since then. Compare the credits list of Inquisition to the credits list of DA:O or DA2. It's almost an entirely new team, and it's a team that Bioware specifically hired to replace the losses from DA2. It's why so many styles have changed since then, why the gameplay changed so steadily, and why they chose to try so many new things. Because Inquisition wasn't made by the DA:O team trying their hand at open world game design. It was maybe 1/6th of the guys that even touched DA:O/DA2 suddenly getting an influx of new blood, most of it Bioware fans finally getting a chance to work for the company they loved, that had great new ideas for what they wanted out of future Bioware games.

It's the same for the ME team. The brain drain has been bad, and the development of Andromeda has apparently picked off massive chunks of the team. The lead writer of the group was the lead writer for Halo 4, and he apparently clashed with a lot of the senior writers/main writers of previous ME games. A whole bunch of goon favorite ME writers have quit the company, and on various development forums have mentioned it was due to creative differences with the former lead writer. Gameplay leads have been leaving the ME/Bioware teams at a pretty steady pace since the game was developed as well. The story had to be picked up mid completion as the lead writer got forced out/quit and replaced, which likely doesn't mean great things for the narrative ( which we are also seeing here. ). Andromeda has currently had the great slow drip of Bioware talent since the dark days of 2010 when DA2 "killed" the company. They've been forced to cycle talent multiple times during the development of Andromeda, not just in management ( which has seen multiple complete turnovers ), but also among the rank and file people working on the game.

This isn't to say Andromeda can't be great, or that it won't live up to the hype. I'm personally hoping it does because I need something to play right now. But if it's good, it'll be good on it's own merits and it's own merits alone, rather then because "it's a Bioware game, I like Bioware!". Because Bioware doesn't exist anymore, it's a completely new entity and needs to be treated as such. People really need to be viewing this as "EA'S NEW ACQUISITION, BIOWARE VICTORY'S FIRST RPG. HOPE IT'S GOOD." rather then "Bioware always makes quality. I know what I'll get here.". As it is right now, EA is propping up Bioware's corpse with a new studio and hoping people don't notice while they keep using it as their RPG house.