Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like all the characters are like super tiny short people?

I saw some discussion earlier about the focal length being off in a lot of shots maybe. The heads of some characters seem too big for their bodies. Except for the aliens, who are roughly 100x better than their human counterparts. I guess it's easier to overlook any problems with them because they're literally aliens, but the krogan and turians I've come across so far are way better than the humans. I did notice an eyeball glitching through one turian's eyelid, so it ain't perfect, just not as loving silly looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

kind of wish that some competitor would come out that would put pressure on bioware. i mean theres W I T C H E R 3, but thats u playing as a predefined character & no squad so bioware can just ignore it since they're the only company attempting AAA team rpg games that arent infinity engine throwbacks or jrpgs

guerilla games might move in on their space and gently caress them up but they'll probably just keep making HZN sequels for the next few years

The closest competitor to Mass Effect is the lovely SPIDERS devs who made Mars War Logs and poo poo. Those are the closest thing. And they're utter trash.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drifter posted:

The closest competitor to Mass Effect is the lovely SPIDERS devs who made Mars War Logs and poo poo. Those are the closest thing. And they're utter trash.

drat close competitors then.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

The Tempest starts out so frustratingly bad it makes traversing the open world something I'm not remotely interested in, I assume it gets better with upgrades but I actually can't quite believe how bad that thing is at going up hills. Even in ATV mode it sloooowly chugs up these very slight hills.

The radiation stuff again makes travelling something I don't want to do.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I read that the future planets have less of this radiation nonsense going on and are more fully traversable from the get go... which only really compounds the error of having it so you're gated off on the first planet by it.

The radiation stuff is pretty heavily tied into planet viability as far as I can tell. You can't get too far into it because the trial locks you out.
If I'm wrong on that, I'm gon be mad because of all the poo poo the game locks you out of, but I don't think I am wrong because otherwise it's a mechanic to force you to revisit old locations after you level up and I just don't think Bioware are capable of thinking that far away from the status quo.

nopantsjack posted:

The combat is not awful its just not very good, not giving you a cover button was a mistake, I've been killed a couple times by Ryder just standing in the open behind a box or peice of cover the game doesn't register. The game has all those dodges and jumps which do help a little at getting out of fire but you die so fast if you're not crouched behind a wall there's not much reason to not just hunker down.
I'm vanguard and my rare quality alien shotgun is extremely disappointing, the charge-melee combo works well but the shotgun actually got me killed the first time I used it because it was so unimpressive I thought it wasn't firing.

Combat is the same as the combat in multiplayer. Combat in multiplayer is actually fun.
I don't know if it's the level design being straight up better than the open world combat design or if it's something to do with Pubbies being better than the AI party members, but it's one of those two.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 17, 2017

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I read that the future planets have less of this radiation nonsense going on and are more fully traversable from the get go... which only really compounds the error of having it so you're gated off on the first planet by it.

It seems like Eos will have less radiation in the future too but you're gated off in the trial from actually trying to make the planet viable enough to find out what it's like when you can just travel around it without being cooked inside your Nomad.

I've enjoyed the single player enough to be OK with my 48 dollar pre-order, and the multiplayer feels a bit more fun than ME3MP at the start. Unfortunately most of the people I play multiplayer with won't buy the game until it's deeply discounted cause it's such a poo poo show so I'll have to wait a bit to really enjoy it. Vetra and Drack are both interesting enough to where I'm confident I'll be fine with my squad and can just ignore Liam/Cora/PeeBee. Maybe Jaal will be OK too? Having gone through almost all the content in the trial, what I find most confusing is why this has a New Game+ when there're so many grindy things in it. Who the gently caress is out there going "Woo scanned 100% of all these empty planets, queue me up to do that poo poo again." Maybe it speeds up some aspects of the game or streamlines it somehow?

I wish my character were a bit more competent, I think the people claiming that everyone treats you like jesus walking on water were playing a different game from me. I felt like everyone treated you like the person they were hoping was coming's idiot son and you're trying to prove you can actually get things done with obstacles in the way, except you *are* the actual competent person's idiot son and all the dialog seems to reinforce it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

Having gone through almost all the content in the trial, what I find most confusing is why this has a New Game+ when there're so many grindy things in it. Who the gently caress is out there going "Woo scanned 100% of all these empty planets, queue me up to do that poo poo again." Maybe it speeds up some aspects of the game or streamlines it somehow?

Didn't 2 and 3 give you a ton of resources at the start on subsequent playthroughs so you didn't have to scan everything again? I remember being really annoyed at having to scrape together Element Zero the first time and then it being a complete non-issue when I played through again.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Are all these bad animations suppose to make me not want the game because they make me want to play it more so I can laugh at this poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

Are all these bad animations suppose to make me not want the game because they make me want to play it more so I can laugh at this poo poo.

it kind of depends on whether you think that's worth $60 or not

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Salarians seem gigantic to me in this game. Were they always this tall?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i think the one guy who was experiencing hideous performance issues with extremely high specs had a computer suffering from china syndrome

That's a pretty good description of the problem I had. :v:

I'm getting some frame drops now but only sometimes (mostly in dialogues), I'm guessing I'm hitting the 8gb ram limit since people with no drops tend to have 16gb.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I liked the mako better than the nomad. The nomad has the wimpiest jump and what is even the point of the 6 wheel drive I just wanna drive around like a maniac at all times. I did run over a bunch of kett and remnant though that was pretty fun. Also I haven't found a way to kill it yet other than going in water. I was still able to drive it around with the life support bar totally drained. But it doesn't let me drive me up almost sheer vertical walls so boooo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Turbl posted:

. I was still able to drive it around with the life support bar totally drained.

it starts bleeding health when your life support runs out, it doesn't go down super fast

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Viridiant posted:

Salarians seem gigantic to me in this game. Were they always this tall?

shepherd was a tall human, the ryders are small and lack confidence

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

When the heck did salarians become so tall? Even compared to normal sized humans (not ryder & ryder)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Turbl posted:

I liked the mako better than the nomad. The nomad has the wimpiest jump and what is even the point of the 6 wheel drive I just wanna drive around like a maniac at all times. I did run over a bunch of kett and remnant though that was pretty fun. Also I haven't found a way to kill it yet other than going in water. I was still able to drive it around with the life support bar totally drained. But it doesn't let me drive me up almost sheer vertical walls so boooo.

Hopping over rockets the Geth shot at you is the best fun you can have in Mass Effect 1.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

I do kind of like the multiplayer but I don't ever think I'll be able to ever justify buying it. Having the match be hosted by a player just results in a significant percentage of matches having noticeable lag and makes the combat feel 10x worse. A 5 map co-op mode with poo poo netcode is just pathetic. EA is so loving cheap they couldn't be bothered to host some servers even though the game has microtransactions.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this isnt a very good game IMHO

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Thank God I have a ton of disposable income. Gonna buy a copy for myself and my broke friend so we can mock / have fun

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't like the mako at all, the plot planets were kind of decent since you had a mostly straight road to travel on but the random planet exploration was the worst. Here all the planets are hand crafted though, right?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I didn't like the mako at all, the plot planets were kind of decent since you had a mostly straight road to travel on but the random planet exploration was the worst. Here all the planets are hand crafted though, right?

Oh yeah the planets in me1 were garbage the one i tried in this game is much better. I just thought the mako was more fun to drive. Nomad is more limited in the crazy poo poo you can do.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Popete posted:

Wrong!

Have you seen these wacky faces? No way this game could be good.
I used to live in Eastern Russia my friend these people look normal

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Turbl posted:

The Nomad has a bunch of upgrades that unlock in the full game, I'm guessing there'll be at least one that makes the jump jets not suck rear end.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I like the Noman for the most part. It's not as wacky as the Mako, unfortunately, but it runs stuff over real good. Worst part about the Nomad is it doesn't have a huge cannon on it. What the gently caress am I supposed to do in a vehicle without a cannon? Those should be relegated to cut scenes.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I saw mods/upgrades for the nomad, so it'll probably be better later on

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Avalerion posted:

That wasn't the Mako's fault, it was Bioware half-baking the sidequest planets.

The Mako is Perfect and Blameless.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, here's an example from the Nomad video, it'll have a bunch of upgrades.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

M. Night Skymall posted:

It seems like Eos will have less radiation in the future too but you're gated off in the trial from actually trying to make the planet viable enough to find out what it's like when you can just travel around it without being cooked inside your Nomad.

I've enjoyed the single player enough to be OK with my 48 dollar pre-order, and the multiplayer feels a bit more fun than ME3MP at the start. Unfortunately most of the people I play multiplayer with won't buy the game until it's deeply discounted cause it's such a poo poo show so I'll have to wait a bit to really enjoy it. Vetra and Drack are both interesting enough to where I'm confident I'll be fine with my squad and can just ignore Liam/Cora/PeeBee. Maybe Jaal will be OK too? Having gone through almost all the content in the trial, what I find most confusing is why this has a New Game+ when there're so many grindy things in it. Who the gently caress is out there going "Woo scanned 100% of all these empty planets, queue me up to do that poo poo again." Maybe it speeds up some aspects of the game or streamlines it somehow?

I wish my character were a bit more competent, I think the people claiming that everyone treats you like jesus walking on water were playing a different game from me. I felt like everyone treated you like the person they were hoping was coming's idiot son and you're trying to prove you can actually get things done with obstacles in the way, except you *are* the actual competent person's idiot son and all the dialog seems to reinforce it.

There are like 2, maybe 3 if you count Cora even though she really doesn't say anything despite being the ostensible XO, people who question you as the Pathfinder and it happens immediately. Your squad and everyone you meet after that says Pathfinder in hushed tones like you have some kind of magical gift. Which, I guess you do, but it plays as really contrived and stupid.

That said I am definitely, other than that poo poo, much more excited after finishing the ten hour trial than I was early into it. Once you get to Eos it does really feel more like Mass Effect and if you play a Vanguard it almost feels like a sequel to Vanquish the combat is so good.

Add DrNutt on Origin if you want to play MP with someone who already got a Krogan Vanguard. :smug:

Also I have great internet and am happy to host. I have no idea why people with lovely internet try to host. I wish Bioware used matchmaking to switch the host to whoever has the most stable connection/best ping. I played one match where it stuttered like my video card was dying.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 17, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am going to play and enjoy everything in this game.

Except the Mako, which will forever suck no matter what they try to do with it.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saved up for a big box and pulled an N7 Hurricane, SMGs aren't really my thing but it rips things apart (at close range anyway) compared to everything else I have so far. Still no krogan vanguard but I've seen a few out in the wild.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Thank God I have a ton of disposable income. Gonna buy a copy for myself and my broke friend so we can mock / have fun

Tell me your secrets, like for example your game key.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Cowcaster posted:

in fact, the main points of disagreement right now seems to be over whether or not the shooting and the plot is strong enough to carry the game in spite of the very obvious flaws. for some people it's yes! for some people it's no. perhaps, the answer, lies somewhere, in the, middle

There's also the problem that story and characterization is 1) difficult to analyze without getting into spoilers, though the trial seems to be treated as somewhat open season in this thread at this point, and 2) arguably much more subjective than face design and animation. A few people have posted that after playing the SP trial that they're actually quite engaged by the story and characters so far. Meanwhile, outside of the very brief bits of Vetra, Drack, and maybe Peebee, I've found everything else as bland and inoffensive as room-temperature tap water. To each their own!

I also appear to be one of the rare few who simultaneously 1) loved Dragon Age Inquisition*, and 2) am utterly ambivalent about MEA after playing the trial. Like, I've seen a lot of comments here and elsewhere along the lines of "This is basically ME:Inquisition? Ugh, I'm out / Hell yeah, I'm in!" Like, it's a fair-ish comparison in terms of quest structure, but I was more interested in the story and characters of DAI after 30 minutes than I am after 8 hours of the MEA trial.

*Though I totally recognize DAI's flaws, I enjoyed most of the characters, and the various lore twists hooked my interest in the DA series way more than DA2 or even DA:O ever did. Sure, it suffered by comparison after Witcher 3 came out and ate its lunch, but I still like it!

BexGu posted:

It doesn't even make sense. If EA is offering a 10 hour trial and lock the good parts of the story after the 10 hour trial its just going to make the whole game look bad. If anything the first 10 hours should be front loaded with the best story beats of the whole game

How long has EA Access been a thing? I'm not sure whether BioWare would have been aware that there was going to be a 10 hour trial when they were breaking the story beats, and I'm sure EA would laugh in their faces if they'd asked "Hey, the first sections are kind of weak, can we just skip the EA Access thing?"

That said, given various stats on how few people make it very far into games (let alone finish), it still seems remarkably stupid to not frontload your 100+ hour RPG with some awesome story beats. They don't have to (and shouldn't) cram all the BEST ones up front, but you gotta hook players in with some good stuff early these days!

Zzulu posted:

its the music

they lacked a cool swelling me-esque music string during the reveal of the ark in the intro

I didn't comment on it when dumping my thoughts on the trial yesterday, but seriously I can't recall a single bit where the score popped out at me. Definitely felt like it ranged between too subtle and just non-existent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I even looted one upgrade for the Nomad jump in the trial version. The fully upgraded Nomad will probably be better than the Mako.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I work in an evil industry and in a particularly evil department and further more evil division

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

eonwe posted:

this is a pretty decent game IMHO

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I guess I'm buying the game, can't wait to get a little dirty 😬 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPK4mznNMVc

Lol, why do some many characters have some weird flehmen response. I think they farmed out the animation to a bunch of furries.

Nifft fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 17, 2017

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

DrNutt posted:

There are like 2, maybe 3 if you count Cora even though she really doesn't say anything despite being the ostensible XO, people who question you as the Pathfinder and it happens immediately. Your squad and everyone you meet after that says Pathfinder in hushed tones like you have some kind of magical gift. Which, I guess you do, but it plays as really contrived and stupid.

That said I am definitely, other than that poo poo, much more excited after finishing the ten hour trial than I was early into it. Once you get to Eos it does really feel more like Mass Effect and if you play a Vanguard it almost feels like a sequel to Vanquish the combat is so good.

Add DrNutt on Origin if you want to play MP with someone who already got a Krogan Vanguard. :smug:

It makes sense that random people would be excited to see you, the colonization efforts so far have been awful and people are dying, not to mention you're the only pathfinder around and the entire leadership structure died in a rebellion, leaving some accountant to head up the initiative. No one in a position of power seems impressed, even your pilot is quick to assure you that he knows what he's doing even if you don't. It may be the dialog options I'm choosing. I was going with casual whenever possible and maybe that's getting some "are you sure you know what you're doing?" reactions from people that don't show up if you're all business. It also makes my character sound like an idiot, I was hoping it'd be more of a sarcastic jackass thing but not really.

Obviously there's still some "chosen one" vibe going but it's an RPG you can't really get away from that entirely.

I got so many free packs for being a bioware fanboy and none of the multiplayer classes I wanted. :( At least human vanguard is still as fun as ever.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Dick Valentine posted:

I do kind of like the multiplayer but I don't ever think I'll be able to ever justify buying it. Having the match be hosted by a player just results in a significant percentage of matches having noticeable lag and makes the combat feel 10x worse. A 5 map co-op mode with poo poo netcode is just pathetic. EA is so loving cheap they couldn't be bothered to host some servers even though the game has microtransactions.

I liked the single player well enough but 1/3 of my multiplayer matches were in some weird state where they kept slowing down and speeding back up. Which I guess could be a lag compensation technique? But in practice I just felt nauseous. And once, my game migrated hosts to a host with that problem :(

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Erm...is there really no quicksave?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Noooope. And the game doesn't even let you hard save for the first... call it two hours or so because you're on a "priority mission." The checkpoints are pretty good, so it's not the end of the world but not being in control of when and where I save is a major pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

No, and reportedly there're fights where if you die the last autosave is far enough back that you have to run around re-playing detective and scanning poo poo for a few minutes to restart the fight you died in. Made me avoid trying a harder difficulty until they hopefully get that sorted out.