Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Get Out 2 will just be him going to prison and sitting in solitary confinement in real time.

No, Get Out 2 will be him going through the nightmare of trying to get his new Don'tCare insurance to pay for counseling and anti-anxiety meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, Get Out 2 will be him going through the nightmare of trying to get his new Don'tCare insurance to pay for counseling and anti-anxiety meds.

You're right, that's much scarier.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hmm.

It originates from the film itself, with his studio photography set to neo-soul. This whole idea that either you're authentically black, or you're a white person trapped in a black person's body is odd, to say the least, because it doesn't even take into account the differences between the black characters. It's as if they're just "black" and the threat is "turning white". It's somewhat more complex than that.

The most/only disturbing part is the film's reduction of the 'authentic blacks' to a series of interchangeable Facebook selfies - whereas the 'fake blacks' are idiosyncratic but allergic to smartphones.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hmm.

It originates from the film itself, with his studio photography set to neo-soul. This whole idea that either you're authentically black, or you're a white person trapped in a black person's body is odd, to say the least, because it doesn't even take into account the differences between the black characters. It's as if they're just "black" and the threat is "turning white". It's somewhat more complex than that.

Yeah the hangups are Chris's, not a statement of the universal quality of essential blackitude.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Loved the movie. Everything felt like it was put in for a purpose in a nicely knit package. For example: showing Chris gnawing at his restraints so that we wouldn't wonder how he managed to get the cotton inside his ears.

The only problem I had with the movie is how contrived everything had to be in order to manipulate the audience into an emotional rollercoaster with the police car.

The house had to be burned down so that there was no possible way for Chris to be able to defend himself (hence the car feeling like a certain death sentence), which in turn led to the necessity of having lit candles in the basement which looked really stupid in an otherwise sterile operating room.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

weekly font posted:

Discussion becomes more than "IT GOOD?" Yeah.

Why is it that whenever people disagree with SMG's reading of a movie, the immediate claim is that nobody before then bothered to interpret the movie? That's usually not the case, and it's definitely not the case here.

I don't think people would have such a strong reaction to his interpretations if he didn't present them as the correct ones and if he didn't present his interpretations of metaphors in a weird way. Like one thing he's saying (I think) is that the conspiracy is an externalization of Chris's internal fears. That's not mutually exclusive from the conspiracy actually happening in the plot, because none of it "actually" happened, but he describes metaphors like plot summaries. Then when people don't get it, they get jumped on for just not bothering to think about the media they consume, when a lot of times it's like no dude, you communicated your point bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like that this is literally a Mondo Voodoo movie, if the races (and potentially sexes) were flipped you'd have a great trashy 60s freak-out movie about a white kid joining a beatnik black commune. It's too bad it's not a more idiosyncratic movie on the whole, it's got John Waters all over it (Chris is Penny Pingleton and even has the same oral fixation). Of course, part of the joke is that it's an "acceptable" movie and looks like every bland Edward Sharpe-scored romcom for boring white teenagers - flat, warm, and unobtrusive. The 2.35 frame was awkward and ugly, though.

The 2001 reference was cute. Alien presence thrusts its concept of evolution and "betterment" on the unknowing savages.

Dig that ironic 30s song, and Chris's Starbucks apartment.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Why is it that whenever people disagree with SMG's reading of a movie, the immediate claim is that nobody before then bothered to interpret the movie? That's usually not the case, and it's definitely not the case here.

I don't think people would have such a strong reaction to his interpretations if he didn't present them as the correct ones and if he didn't present his interpretations of metaphors in a weird way. Like one thing he's saying (I think) is that the conspiracy is an externalization of Chris's internal fears. That's not mutually exclusive from the conspiracy actually happening in the plot, because none of it "actually" happened, but he describes metaphors like plot summaries. Then when people don't get it, they get jumped on for just not bothering to think about the media they consume, when a lot of times it's like no dude, you communicated your point bad.

SMG's "thing" is presenting his opinion as fact and being extremely standoffish (K Waste as well, but not as intense and with more bro phrases).

edit: i like how the ending credits are prefaced by the title, so the movie literally tells you to get out

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 17, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I don't think people would have such a strong reaction to his interpretations if he didn't present them as the correct ones

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My oppositional reading of the film follows two steps.

I wish it was easier to have internet discussion about films where people were less fixated on "right/wrong" and more fixated on "interesting/uninteresting".

"Hundu the Beast God" posted:

I had an interesting experience watching the film where as Chris was meeting Georgina and the groundskeeper and Andre/Logan, I was like "Man, they're acting so weird" when, even though yes it was extra weird in the text of the film, I was falling into that trap of "Hmm they're acting really white... suspicious!" and reducing blackness/whiteness to really unfair broad brush behavior patterns. So, having brought my own lovely internal baggage into it, Chris being the audience surrogate has me appreciating the more paranoiac readings of Chris.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

SMG's "thing" is presenting his opinion as fact and being extremely standoffish (K Waste as well, but not as intense and with more bro phrases).

No; my "thing" is writing truthfully and accurately. I am very upfront about this. Everything I have written in this thread is both true and accurate.

If I have written anything inaccurate or false, it should be very easy for you to point it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mary had a little clam posted:

I had an interesting experience watching the film where as Chris was meeting Georgina and the groundskeeper and Andre/Logan, I was like "Man, they're acting so weird" when, even though yes it was extra weird in the text of the film, I was falling into that trap of "Hmm they're acting really white... suspicious!" and reducing blackness/whiteness to really unfair broad brush behavior patterns. So, having brought my own lovely internal baggage into it, Chris being the audience surrogate has me appreciating the more paranoiac readings of Chris.

One of the more interesting things in the movie is Georgina's wig covering up a scar. If you wanted to hit on something particularly metaphorical you'd say, 'ah, assimilation. she is ashamed of her natural hair.'

Yet what does that say about Erika Alexander's detective character? (love her btw and haven't seen her in a million years) She has straightened hair and doesn't believe Rod's story. Is she a white person in a black person's skin? She doesn't talk like it. Is Rod's story believable? Or is she condescending to him because she's a real cop and he's a security guard?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/842541070151897088
https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/842589407521595393

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

"This utter passivity is the foreclosed fantasy that sustains our conscious experience as active, self-positing subjects - it is the ultimate perverse fantasy, the notion that we are ultimately instruments of the Other's (Matrix's) jouissance, sucked out of our life-substance like batteries. [...] This is how we should turn around the state of things presented by the film: what the film renders as the scene of our awakening into our true situation, is effectively its exact opposition, the very fundamental fantasy that sustains our being."
-Zizek

I'd been working up to the Matrix comparison in my posts; Matrix is likewise a libertarian film about a troupe of conspiracy theorists fighting the reptilian plot. Like Morpheus in Matrix, Chris needs the fantasy of his utter powerlessness as an escape from authentic freedom - freedom as responsibility. "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer." The idea that there is an 'Other Of The Other' (a grand conspiracy) is a retreat from the truth that the Big Other doesn't exist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

No; my "thing" is writing truthfully and accurately. I am very upfront about this. Everything I have written in this thread is both true and accurate.

If I have written anything inaccurate or false, it should be very easy for you to point it out.

You're right, that doesn't sound standoffish at all

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
why u cheeky sonuvabitch

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

mary had a little clam posted:

I wish it was easier to have internet discussion about films where people were less fixated on "right/wrong" and more fixated on "interesting/uninteresting".

That was the first time I've seen him acknowledge it, honestly. Usually, he presents it in terms of what things in the film "actually" mean and is generally dismissive of other people's readings.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're right, that doesn't sound standoffish at all

My truthfulness and accuracy is consistently, immediately, perceived as a grave danger. You should ask yourself why you feel this way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My truthfulness and accuracy is consistently, immediately, perceived as a grave danger. You should ask yourself why you feel this way.

no it isn't.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I hope this works...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I asserted that everything I have written in this thread is both true and accurate. That's a pretty basic statement. I am being truthful. I am not engaged in deceit.

In response to this, you immediately declared me unfriendly. Why do you feel that I am unfriendly?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I asserted that everything I have written in this thread is both true and accurate. That's a pretty basic statement. I am being truthful. I am not engaged in deceit.

In response to this, you immediately declared me unfriendly. Why do you feel that I am unfriendly?

Because you routinely act like a tedious prick who considers everyone beneath you.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm fairly confident nobody considers you "a grave danger." Many, however, find you annoying.

I'm gonna stop responding to you now though both because I neither want to make this thread even more about you than it's about the movie nor to feed into your self-aggrandizement further.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Because you routinely act like a tedious prick who considers everyone beneath you.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm fairly confident nobody considers you "a grave danger." Many, however, find you annoying.

I'm gonna stop responding to you now though both because I neither want to make this thread even more about you than it's about the movie nor to feed into your self-aggrandizement further.

I do not consider anyone beneath me.

I am neither above nor beneath. I do not actually exist.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Your assertion that something is true does not make it the truth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I do not consider anyone beneath me.

I am neither above nor beneath. I do not actually exist.

| /
| /
| /

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

But there is truth in movies, not just "opinions." There are universal truths in storytelling, it's just that people let their baggage cloud their perceptions of "fact" vs "personally tainted exception"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Unoriginal Name posted:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

See the problem with this is if anyone did try to point out that you've written anything inaccurate or false you would turn around and explain exactly why their interpretation of your writing is inaccurate and false and thus you yourself remain completely truthful and accurate, because anyone suggesting you are anything but are clearly wrong and have failed to understand your explanation/meaning effectively.

Your readings are often interesting, and worth viewing for what they are, but actually engaging you with discussion as far as I can tell from mostly just viewing the Cinema Discusso sub-forum is a futile effort, not least because often your readings are supported by other very passionate posters.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

It is not possible for us to judge the accuracy of your stated opinions regarding a movie. They are opinions, not facts. You posting as if they were fact does not change this.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So... I'm sorry I missed it if it's come up before, but what are the thoughts about Samuel L. Jackson's comments regarding Daniel Kaluuya, and Mr. Kaluuya's response to them?

I hadn't heard of Kaluuya before and didn't actually know he was British (his accent is very good! I seem to recall John Boyega's American dialect slipping a little, but his didn't as far I can see) and Mr. Jackson is entitled to his opinion of course, but... the thing I keep thinking about, after Get Out, is that I really can't think of any black actor in America that's both as black as Kaluuya is, and has been cast in a leading role. I could be forgetting a key role by somebody here, and for that I apologize, but it just seems like the actors of color who get ahead in Hollywood (and consistently get leading, important roles) pass the "paper bag" test- and by "leading, important role" I mean acting with more than one other famous white person, in the kind of role that Chris plays in this movie, that is an artist and an everyman. (I think of Chris Rock, but hmm, all of his roles seem to involve stand-up comedy in some way...) Which I suspect is one of the points Peele is trying to make.

e: And Betty Gabriel! (This is not really on topic, but) I've never heard of her before in my life, but her role was one of the (if not the) best in the movie: completely creepy, but even in her creepiness projecting this aura of melancholy helplessness that I suppose factored into one of Chris' decisions by the end of the movie.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 17, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wesley Snipes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Andre Braugher is more of a character and tv actor but he's dark as all heck and I don't think it's holding him back too much

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dave Chappelle joked about Eddie Murphy being called "Darkness" by Rick James because he and his brother were so much darker toned than other black celebrities at the time. It'd be naive to not realize there's a very real problem within black communities about the blackness of one's skin as well.

See also: Hollywood pairing up lighter mocha skinned women with white leading men. Jungle Fever's a great movie for this type of discussion.

Isaiah Washington, Mekhi Phife, Delroy Lindo, Keith David, Charles S. Dutton, and Don Cheadle are all black as gently caress tho.

E: Were all of the other black victims in the movie short haired guys? Trying to think back at the shoebox of pictures and remember if any of her previous boyfriends had dreads or braids.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 17, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Dave Chappelle joked about Eddie Murphy being called "Darkness" by Rick James because he and his brother were so much darker toned than other black celebrities at the time. It'd be naive to not realize there's a very real problem within black communities about the blackness of one's skin as well.

See also: Hollywood pairing up lighter mocha skinned women with white leading men. Jungle Fever's a great movie for this type of discussion.

Isaiah Washington, Mekhi Phife, Delroy Lindo, Keith David, Charles S. Dutton, and Don Cheadle are all black as gently caress tho.

Yeah it's an issue but I don't think the reason British/Caribbean/African black actors are darker is less skin color racism. Those populations are just darker skinned on the whole. The real challenge is thinking of a dark African American actress getting a lot of work. Viola Davis is the best I can come up with and she gets lightened up for a lot of roles.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

See the problem with this is if anyone did try to point out that you've written anything inaccurate or false you would turn around and explain exactly why their interpretation of your writing is inaccurate and false and thus you yourself remain completely truthful and accurate, because anyone suggesting you are anything but are clearly wrong and have failed to understand your explanation/meaning effectively.

Your readings are often interesting, and worth viewing for what they are, but actually engaging you with discussion as far as I can tell from mostly just viewing the Cinema Discusso sub-forum is a futile effort, not least because often your readings are supported by other very passionate posters.

You lack confidence. You fear that others will not understand what you do - or, worse, that they will understand it too well. I do not share this fear.

Unoriginal Name posted:

It is not possible for us to judge the accuracy of your stated opinions regarding a movie.

If that is the case, then I have routinely accomplished the impossible.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

So... I'm sorry I missed it if it's come up before, but what are the thoughts about Samuel L. Jackson's comments regarding Daniel Kaluuya, and Mr. Kaluuya's response to them?

I hadn't heard of Kaluuya before and didn't actually know he was British (his accent is very good! I seem to recall John Boyega's American dialect slipping a little, but his didn't as far I can see) and Mr. Jackson is entitled to his opinion of course, but... the thing I keep thinking about, after Get Out, is that I really can't think of any black actor in America that's both as black as Kaluuya is, and has been cast in a leading role. I could be forgetting a key role by somebody here, and for that I apologize, but it just seems like the actors of color who get ahead in Hollywood (and consistently get leading, important roles) pass the "paper bag" test- and by "leading, important role" I mean acting with more than one other famous white person, in the kind of role that Chris plays in this movie, that is an artist and an everyman. (I think of Chris Rock, but hmm, all of his roles seem to involve stand-up comedy in some way...) Which I suspect is one of the points Peele is trying to make.

e: And Betty Gabriel! (This is not really on topic, but) I've never heard of her before in my life, but her role was one of the (if not the) best in the movie: completely creepy, but even in her creepiness projecting this aura of melancholy helplessness that I suppose factored into one of Chris' decisions by the end of the movie.

American black people generally aren't as dark because many of our ancestors were raped by white people somewhere down the line (if we weren't mixed post-slavery on top of that). We also lost a lot of our African facial features with those mixtures as well (which is why black Africans and Americans can immediately tell each other apart). So, just by numbers, many black actors won't be Snipes-dark. Europe, especially, doesn't have that same history, so you get more black people that are closer to their African heritage.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

American black people generally aren't as dark because many of our ancestors were raped by white people somewhere down the line (if we weren't mixed post-slavery on top of that). We also lost a lot of our African facial features with those mixtures as well (which is why black Africans and Americans can immediately tell each other apart). So, just by numbers, many black actors won't be Snipes-dark. Europe, especially, doesn't have that same history, so you get more black people that are closer to their African heritage.

Likewise Caribbeans, where the European populations were much smaller relative to slave populations. African Americans and Caribbeans are also extremely cosmopolitan mixtures of hundreds of different African populations so extreme regional variations are muted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weekly font posted:

Discussion becomes more than "IT GOOD?" Yeah.

it was already more than that prior. second person to make this dumb post.

you were wrong about the twilight zone episode.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I would actually like to see a horror movie sequel where a character that lived through the same kind of trauma as Chris tries to pick up the pieces, but they're so PTSD/mentally scarred/paranoid that they struggle to do it.

See a psych? The last one tried to hypnotize him for body snatching.
Hears somebody stirring their coffee at a cafe? Flashback/meltdown.
A cute (white) woman tries to flirt? Oh poo poo am I a mark again?!
Ends up in a social situation where he's the only black person? Oh shiiiiiiit.

Re: darker skinned actors, the only ones really coming to my mind in feature films are Djimon Hounsou, Idris Elba, Kevin Hart (whose more just a funny man than ever a serious lead) and (sort-of) Tyreese. Someone like Adewale Akkinuoye Agbaje, Lance Reddick and Michael K Williams are pretty dark skinned, but I consider them to be a TV/character actor more than anything.

I remember reading something a while back that looked at how lighter skinned actors/actresses tend to get bigger/better roles, like Halle Berry getting to be a Bond girl back in the 90s. (I'm trying to think of dark-skinned actresses, but all I'm coming up with are TV, like Danielle Brooks and Danai Gurira)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don't forget on Lupita N'yongo, even though she's technically Mexican.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ruddiger posted:

Don't forget on Lupita N'yongo, even though she's technically Mexican.

She's an interesting example, too, because of how many outlets published stories about how beautiful, dark, and 'exotic' she was after the release of 12 Years A Slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

She's an interesting example, too, because of how many outlets published stories about how beautiful, dark, and 'exotic' she was after the release of 12 Years A Slave.

But didn't cast her in any films. She got more modeling work out of that than film work.

• Locked thread