Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I kinda doubt it, because that response video wouldn't have come out quite as fast as it did. Then again; "299".

I'm not sure what you mean? They made it in response to MS so they knew would have had to have made the video after the MS debacle.

Either way I don't actually know if that's true or not I just always figured it was a 50/50 shot. If it was true I'm sure some former Sony employee would have said something about it by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steam and PC gaming has already proved there's no technical barrier to going full digital Microsoft's only real mistake was trying to force it too early.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They'd probably have been in better shape if they had just not mentioned it instead of using it as a selling feature. Their worst crime was being really tone deaf about what people wanted at the time of that announcement. Especially considering people were starting to get sick of their poo poo right around that time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Steam and PC gaming has already proved there's no technical barrier to going full digital Microsoft's only real mistake was trying to force it too early.

This video is 3 years old at this point (came out shortly after the Xbone DRM poo poo was axed), but most of the points still hold water in regards to the idea of a full-digital console with no used games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9_BIENLH4&t=65s

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Kingtheninja posted:

Has the preload for Andromeda started yet?

Yeah a few days ago.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I'm on the fence about getting I Am Setsuna. How flat and boring are the characters? Is it reasonably simple to get through the game without consulting a guide/faq?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I wonder if anyone working at microsoft or sony ever pitched a little r&d team to transfer disk licenses to a digital version then inside the drive there's a clamp which snaps the disc and spits it back in 2 pieces.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone link me the infamous mass effect meltdown I've been hearing about?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I'm on the fence about getting I Am Setsuna. How flat and boring are the characters? Is it reasonably simple to get through the game without consulting a guide/faq?

Pretty darn flat and boring. I didn't beat it but in the time I played nothing about the plot or characters grabbed me at all. It's just not a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the gaming equivalent of eating a slice of dry white bread.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I wonder if anyone working at microsoft or sony ever pitched a little r&d team to transfer disk licenses to a digital version then inside the drive there's a clamp which snaps the disc and spits it back in 2 pieces.

You have to bend discs really far to break them. A mail-in disc-for-key system would probably be simpler if they were going to make it a thing.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Pretty darn flat and boring. I didn't beat it but in the time I played nothing about the plot or characters grabbed me at all. It's just not a good game.

This. Don't get it. It's a 15 Dollar Steam Indie Game, not more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Policenaut posted:

Sometimes I forget about the plight of the common folk when I'm downloading 60GB games in like 5 hours on this PS4. My condolences go out to those stuck in internet hell.

There are people who download 60GB in like 2 hours and I hate them.

Sakurazuka posted:

I always forget there are still places where download limits are a thing.

Just last year Comcast tried to institute a 200GB data cap pretty much everywhere. In a shocking show of competency they raised it after literally everyone went over that limit in a week downloading games and streaming shows.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I dislike juggling between multiple games on the PS4 because suspend-resume is so convenient and if you switch between even two digital games, you have wait through the main splash screen to load the game, then go through the menu to load your individual save file, which for some games can be two or three minutes. Now if you have to also be switching discs every time, well...

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just fought my first Thunderjaw in Horizon and holy poo poo was that intense. I might need a nap after that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

There are people who download 60GB in like 2 hours and I hate them.

Just last year Comcast tried to institute a 200GB data cap pretty much everywhere. In a shocking show of competency they raised it after literally everyone went over that limit in a week downloading games and streaming shows.

They actually had the 250gb cap for quite a while, it was just in select states. After they tested it for a while, they rolled out the standard 1tb limit everywhere. Comcast gets a lot of poo poo but a terabyte is pretty generous for 90% of their users.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Just fought my first Thunderjaw in Horizon and holy poo poo was that intense. I might need a nap after that.

:yeah:

It is so satisfying tearing apart giant robots piece by piece, evading their super attacks, and then turning their own weapons against them and making all their poo poo explode. I needed "Rules of Nature" to play at those moments.

Speaking of which, Nier: A is OK so far, I guess... but did I misunderstand Platinum games by basing my expectations solely on Metal Gear Rising? Did I accidentally play the only game of theirs that's actually way better than everything else they've done

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mgr is a character action game; nier is an arpg. if you want something like mgr, play bayonetta or devil may cry

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nier: Automata is a game in the style of the original Nier, but with better and more fun combat. It's not a typical Platinum game with a Nier coating.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

I'm enjoying the ME:A trial more than HZD.
It's me, I'm the reason why we can't have more good games :getin:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Tried playing Rocket League after several months away and uhhhhh, the servers are real bad now.
https://youtu.be/1VBn7WuEmqE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ive been playing steadily for like three weeks and had no issues

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

Tried playing Rocket League after several months away and uhhhhh, the servers are real bad now.
https://youtu.be/1VBn7WuEmqE
That's how its always played, for me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

You should definitely get ahold of the soundtrack though. Absolutely gorgeous.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even the soundtrack in Setsuna bothered me after a while, the tracks are great in isolation but everything being acoustic piano music meant it all started to blur together into neverending noise eventually.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

mgr is a character action game; nier is an arpg. if you want something like mgr, play bayonetta or devil may cry

Regy Rusty posted:

Nier: Automata is a game in the style of the original Nier, but with better and more fun combat. It's not a typical Platinum game with a Nier coating.

OK, I guess that's good to know. Because so far the gameplay has been kind of samey, it's hard to tell what's going on in combat because everything is the same dull color, all the sidequests have been uniformly dull and frustrating, and there have been many times I've gone through the empty world to the quest marker and I've searched the area only to find nothing there. All the weapons and all the enemies feel the same. And everyone is saying that "Oh man, it's like on hour 15 that my mind got hosed and I cried" and there have been some interesting story moments but that's the only thing keeping me going forward

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier games start off like that so that you get caught off guard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Drakengard 3 was pretty upfront with its loving of your mind.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK, I guess that's good to know. Because so far the gameplay has been kind of samey, it's hard to tell what's going on in combat because everything is the same dull color, all the sidequests have been uniformly dull and frustrating, and there have been many times I've gone through the empty world to the quest marker and I've searched the area only to find nothing there. All the weapons and all the enemies feel the same. And everyone is saying that "Oh man, it's like on hour 15 that my mind got hosed and I cried" and there have been some interesting story moments but that's the only thing keeping me going forward

Sidequest items are either found on the ground or dropped by enemies and always within the red zone on your map. There's bound to be something there, usually in bushes. The first handful of sidequests are pretty generic like that but they all do a lot to expand the world and some of them are really cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The yorha betrayers quest didnt have any enemies in the target areas for me so i skipped it for next ending route

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

The yorha betrayers quest didnt have any enemies in the target areas for me so i skipped it for next ending route

I'm pretty sure that quest has some bugs, but basically it'll have the androids spawn at one of those three locations, then once you find the first set you go and take the others in sequence

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only side quest I found where there was nothing at the marker was one where you needed​ to check all three for something, it really needed to say 'hey there's nothing at this one' at some point though.

E: that's the one meant, I thought I just checked the wrong one first, I only had to do stuff at the other two.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Real hurthling! posted:

This and another quest broke for me until I reloaded the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just chiming in to say that the "trading tips" line in Yakuza 0 made me die laughing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've spent probably over an hour trying to do YorHa Betreyers. Every time I complete a quest I go back and check if they've spawned.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Snak posted:

I've spent probably over an hour trying to do YorHa Betreyers. Every time I complete a quest I go back and check if they've spawned.

Did you save and restart and definitely check the rooftop one inside the building you land the Flight Gear on?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just traded in nioh and horizon zero dawn for touikiden. Kind of excited to play it while I wait for the 2nd one to come out.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I had trouble with the betrayers quest, but they showed up on top of the big robot eventually.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone link me the infamous mass effect meltdown I've been hearing about?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've enjoyed the majority of the Automata side quests though for sure some are more busywork than interesting. It all balances out when you get stuff like (Route A side quest) The Emil quest and secret areas. :cry: