Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Rangpur posted:

Is there any work on the YorHa Betrayers questline being bugged? I found a pair of them at one of the marked locations, but there doesn't seem to be anything at the other two. What gives?

It was the same for me. I had to reload the area and then I found them on the rooftop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Late route A spoilers and also Drakengard: Someone having mentioned the fuckery with Drakengard 3's boss fight prompted me to watch some youtube videos of the Drakengard endings, and I find it interesting that in the E ending, the dragon asks if Tokyo is the land of the gods. Makes me reconsider what the machine cult was talking about when wanting to "become as gods," and this being prompted by their prophet guy dying.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I think the deal with the machine cult is actually (Fire of Prometheus novella spoilers) that they're trying to emulate Beepy who's mentioned as a god in the first picture book segment. He too "died" slain by Nier and restored himself, evolving until he became a machine god and left the planet along with his followers. The torches could be a very literal Promethean reference.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm seeing pod only with anyone playing on Hard.

I started watching this stream which is working on speed running and some of the skips have been neat so far. https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

The guy actually just managed to clip his way into the Elevator in the Sunken City that you can't access. Unfortunately it ended up just softlocking since he couldn't do anything or leave

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Route B was much shorter for me, because I had done most of the sidequests I could and the general futzing around exploration in Route A, but obviously if you do do those sidequests or explore a lot looking for locked chests then it'll be longer.

I'm a scrub though who likes exploring but hates scouring areas for specific super duper hidden poo poo so I just looked up lists of weapons and intel or whatever.

... also my route A playtime was longer than it needed to be because I did a bunch of sidequests before unlocking fast travel.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The guy actually just managed to clip his way into the Elevator in the Sunken City that you can't access. Unfortunately it ended up just softlocking since he couldn't do anything or leave

Seems rather convenient it keeps hims out of bounds when he falls into a bottomless hole.

Ahaha that item sitting in space....

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat the game for the first time today and started a new game. I didn't buy the weapons from Devola/Popola and probably missed a bunch of other stuff, like bringing a photo of a flower. Am I screwed? I thought the game would keep track of my side quest progress but it started over. Should I try to get all side quests on my second playthrough?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 19, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I beat the game for the first time today and started a new game. I didn't buy the weapons from Devola/Popola and probably missed a bunch of other stuff. Am I screwed? I thought the game would keep track of my side quest progress but it started over. Should I try to get all side quests on my second playthrough?

you can only miss one thing in the whole game, don't worry

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I beat the game for the first time today and started a new game. I didn't buy the weapons from Devola/Popola and probably missed a bunch of other stuff. Am I screwed? I thought the game would keep track of my side quest progress but it started over. Should I try to get all side quests on my second playthrough?

No.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Renoistic posted:

Everything carries over if you start by loading your game clear file.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Okay, cool. Thanks 😊

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Rangpur posted:

Is there any work on the YorHa Betrayers questline being bugged? I found a pair of them at one of the marked locations, but there doesn't seem to be anything at the other two. What gives?

You have to do them in the right order I think. I found them on a building rooftop, then the next spot was another roof - this one bugged for me after I beat them (one of them fell off the roof and got stuck) and had to reload to get them to show up at the third location.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Papercut posted:

You have to do them in the right order I think. I found them on a building rooftop, then the next spot was another roof - this one bugged for me after I beat them (one of them fell off the roof and got stuck) and had to reload to get them to show up at the third location.

Hmm. I first saw them at the factory, then on the starting building. Just the two encounters. I think there's some story gating to it also.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm done route C and need help with Emil's final quest, I have completed Emil's memories and picked up Emil's Mask but when I speak with him on the surface he's not progressing the quest line. Have anyone else experienced this issue?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Corte posted:

I'm done route C and need help with Emil's final quest, I have completed Emil's memories and picked up Emil's Mask but when I speak with him on the surface he's not progressing the quest line. Have anyone else experienced this issue?

It's not really an official quest so you won't get a pop up but if he talks about there being lovely people who steal, you can go back down and unlock his chest and fight him
not sure what the issue is if that isn't happening, barring a chapter select resetting things between stealing the mask and talking to him again

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Man, got the little title/semi-credits pop in after the introish portion of route C... and wow... That was quite a way to make it clear that the route won't be much like the previous ones.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can only miss one thing in the whole game, don't worry

What is the missable thing?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

ending y. if you beat the second bonus boss without getting the bad end, its locked off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

Ending Y, it's a very very endgame thing.

Details:
When you get all weapons to rank 4, you unlock a quest. this quest is a boss fight. when you finish the boss, let it self destruct. if you interrupt the self destruct, you finish the quest and it can't be repeated.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

You can miss out on a pod upgrade chip. S size I think. Or at least I wasn't able to get it after unlocking chapter select.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

He just hit another soft lock and had to restart the game trying to break into the Copied City for sequence breaking. Looks like skipping Grun is not gonna happen unless something creative happens.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can miss out on a pod upgrade chip. S size I think. Or at least I wasn't able to get it after unlocking chapter select.

Pretty sure you can get multiples of this from the golden stubbies in the city ruins (can't speak for its other locations), though I can't remember if they keep spawning if you complete the event series. I definitely have more than I can use on my 100% save.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty sure you can get multiples of this from the golden stubbies in the city ruins (can't speak for its other locations), though I can't remember if they keep spawning if you complete the event series. I definitely have more than I can use on my 100% save.

Yea I never saw them again after completing the questline. Or maybe the spawn is really rare. Didn't worry me too much, but others may care.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...d/#5bfd2f5134ec

havent read this interview fully yet so can't guarantee spoiler free

Yoko Taro posted:

“It started when I was in limbo after being fired from Sony Computer Entertainment. My friend Mr. Iwasaki, who was the producer, invited me asking, “Won’t you be the art director for this project I just started?” The original plan was for Iwasaki-san to be the director but I took up that role mid-project since he became too busy.”

“I only directed the first Drakengard title but Square Enix had told me “create a game like Dynasty Warriors with a medieval setting. And, include dragons while you’re at it.” I remember thinking “there’s no way we can win against the Warriors series by just following suit” as I developed the game.

“At the time, Square Enix was not particularly interested in the story, so I did whatever I felt like doing. I have fond memories of getting many complaints from them after the fact. Well, they aren’t really “fond” memories… Yep.”
[...]
“The first thing I mentioned to Platinum Games when we started working together was that “I don’t want to make Nier: Automata a sequel of the series, but rather create it as if it were a new title. This is why I won’t number the title. Let’s create something new together.” I still feel the same way, so the answer to the question on how it fits into the overall narrative of the series would be that “it doesn’t fit in.”

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 19, 2017

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so weird question, but would anyone happen to know if there is a 3d render of emils head online somewhere?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So, I have an odd question for those of you with any knowledge of Japanese. (Route B spoilers) So, when 9S is trapped in his own mind or whatever and Adam is messing with him, Adam says something along the lines of "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2b , aren't you?". I assumed the point of that statement was that **** could stand for both "gently caress" or "kill", since they're both four letter words and fit into the weird sex-and-violence themes that the game has going, like with the strangling scene. But the game is Japanese, which makes me wonder - what was that line in the original Japanese text? Having **** stand for either word only works in English. Do they do something similar, or did it perhaps turn out that they were explicitly referring to one word, not both?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zinkraptor posted:

So, I have an odd question for those of you with any knowledge of Japanese. (Route B spoilers) So, when 9S is trapped in his own mind or whatever and Adam is messing with him, Adam says something along the lines of "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2b , aren't you?". I assumed the point of that statement was that **** could stand for both "gently caress" or "kill", since they're both four letter words and fit into the weird sex-and-violence themes that the game has going, like with the strangling scene. But the game is Japanese, which makes me wonder - what was that line in the original Japanese text? Having **** stand for either word only works in English. Do they do something similar, or did it perhaps turn out that they were explicitly referring to one word, not both?

Vermain posted:

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zinkraptor posted:

It's even better as a pun in Japanese because you can use the exact same verb (yaru) to mean "kill" or "gently caress" in different contexts. It's sorta like "do them" vs "do them in", I guess?

Note: I haven't actually reached the line in question so I'm speculating

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...d/#5bfd2f5134ec

havent read this interview fully yet so can't guarantee spoiler free

Oh Taro.

I've always felt like concepts like "canonicity" didn't mean much to him anyway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

The first two syllables of the Japanese are censored out and it also hints at "kill" just like the English can be interpreted in the same way. I've read that it's more damning for the "gently caress" interpretation not being a thing in Japanese, but also that "marry" might come into play thanks to the Japanese characters used. I'm pretty sure it's been gone over in the thread before, but maybe one of our Japanese speakers will repost again what they think

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that the secret shop is in super-high speed when it's in the place with the fanciest stock. I don't like what I've realised I'm going to have to do before finishing the route though. Sorry Emil, but I need to get All The Things.

Also that voice changer option is hilarious and should be in more games.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The double meaning is fantastic since androids are programmed to feel euphoria in battle frenzy it might as well be both

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
  • Your GPU or monitor upscales that again to the selected res.
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

More details from the modder himself: Link

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
On my second playthrough I just beat Adam in the desert and got access to the sleeping area. But there's no current objective. It's on, but there's nothing on the map. I can teleport to the bunker but nowhere else. The commander doesn't want to talk to me and I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this. Does anyone know what's up?

Edit: never mind you just had to exit the camp :downs:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 19, 2017

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Instant Grat posted:

PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

Awesome.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Okay theory time.

Anybody else get the feeling the only reason Adam grows to become obsessed with hatred to the point it forms the core of his being is because 2B and 9S try to murder him the first thing he's born? He barely even tries to attack you at Level 1 and I feel like it'd be a very Nier thing to do if it turned out the protagonists ruined a potentially benevolent turning point in machine evolution without provocation. Hell Eve would've probably been an entirely amicable person without Adam telling him to fight and his later snapping when the brother he loves is killed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

Not playing the PC version myself but this is awesome.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, I'll keep this spoiler-free but I just thought of something helpful: Reasonably late into the game, you'll get access to a new merchant who hangs out in the Resistance Camp who will sell you a plot item. They ALSO sell a chip that automatically picks up items for you without you needing to mash O, and as far as I can tell this is the only way to get this chip. Once you beat the game you will have to re-unlock them, so pick this up while you can because jeez it's a real quality of life chip to fill up a slot, its only size 10

Nina posted:

Okay theory time.

Anybody else get the feeling the only reason Adam grows to become obsessed with hatred to the point it forms the core of his being is because 2B and 9S try to murder him the first thing he's born? He barely even tries to attack you at Level 1 and I feel like it'd be a very Nier thing to do if it turned out the protagonists ruined a potentially benevolent turning point in machine evolution without provocation. Hell Eve would've probably been an entirely amicable person without Adam telling him to fight and his later snapping when the brother he loves is killed.

I can see this being a solid line of thinking, but I also think that Eve saying "wouldn't it be more appropriate if we were named Cain and Abel?" has some significance as well. Adam/Eve are obviously reference the creation of man, which is really easily translated into the birth of the next stage of the robot's evolution into sentience. However, I think it could also be a reference to the relation between the brothers and the androids themselves, androids being created from the cores of machines. Thus, Cain and Abel would make sense as well what with the brothers being killed at the hands of 2B/9S. This would require a lot more thought than I normally put into reading into things, but I think their proposed names, with Adam deciding they will be Adam/Eve and Eve thinking Cain/Abel fits better, also tells you a little bit about their respective values, with Adam being obsessed with creation and destruction (and thus being so heavily influenced by the moments and circumstances of his birth ties into what you were saying), and Eve seeing the relationship with his brother as being his primary concern

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 19, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just got ending D. Didn't get ending C yet. Is that just from picking A2 instead of 9S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Just got ending D. Didn't get ending C yet. Is that just from picking A2 instead of 9S?

Yes