Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"fear of a mulatto planet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

800peepee51doodoo posted:

You're gonna have to derive that equation, professor.

I assumed Hundu was making some sort of a joke because that poo poo makes absolutely no sense

Hundu and I are not joking. The film straightforwardly depicts Rod's strong stance against dating white women. "I told you so!"

The monsters in the film are literally abominable Frankenstein'd mixtures of white and black parts.

(This entire sci-fi plot is taken from the second Hammer Frankenstein movie.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 20, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The real villain is multiculturalism, which only seeks to take the best of any culture and leave behind the impurities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I assumed Hundu was making some sort of a joke because that poo poo makes absolutely no sense

Not a joke in the slightest, that is what some people are indeed taking away from the movie, which is a shame. If the villain of the piece is well meaning white folks, what would you say to the fact that Chris' greatest fear is being tricked into consenting to their lifestyle? What's to be rejected is the false utopia of people as economic units, partnership as "recruitment", "rejuvenation" of the elderly, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 20, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"fear of a mulatto planet"

This reminds me of my favorite obscure conspiracy theory - in the early 1860s, Paraguay was a rapidly modernizing (industrially) country where it was illegal for people to marry within their "race", because the recently deceased dictator wanted to eliminate racial class divisions (spaniard, creole, mestizo, indian) by just making everyone Mestizo. Although the historical consensus is that the war that broke out in 1864 and completely destroyed Paraguay was rooted in local political factors, a belief persists in Paraguay that British business interests feared a local industrial power that would threaten the British free trade export regime, and so they maneuvered Argentina and Brazil into committing to a long and bloody war.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The real villain is multiculturalism, which only seeks to take the best of any culture and leave behind the impurities.

"Best" and "impurities", of course, being determined by their compatibility with Euro-American culture and capitalism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, yeah, that's the joke. It's like how we all use white grammar when posting here. The "ideal" grammar on the forum is "pure" in the most menacing form.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, yeah, that's the joke, it's like how we all use, white, grammar when posting here, the ,ideal" grammar on the forum is "pure, in the most menacing form,

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If this were Mulholland Drive, the last thirty minutes would be Chris having a panic attack at the party and lashing out - all that's missing is a literal burning bridge.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Hundu and SMG don't know poo poo about race and their reading depends on essential truths of whiteness and blackness; people are entertaining their reading because there's a kernel of truth about capitalist exploitation, but to accept the whole you have to believe some real dumb poo poo like the family being "well-meaning" and Chris wishing he was murdered by George Zimmerman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Isnt Hundu black?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Isnt Hundu black?

I don't know. I'd never question their personal experience but anyone can have a poo poo understanding of race theory, and their posts indicate exactly that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Critical race theory is specifically about the intersection of race and power. I don't need to tell you what "power" is in the United States of America.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Critical race theory is specifically about the intersection of race and power. I don't need to tell you what "power" is in the United States of America.

Actually, I'll say it's unfair to say you don't know what you're talking about in conjunction with SMG (who does not know what he's talking about) because I'm on board with your earlier posts. I don't understand for a second how you can so carelessly dismiss the antagonists as "well meaning white folks" or that people are reading the movie as anti-miscegenation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

Actually, I'll say it's unfair to say you don't know what you're talking about in conjunction with SMG (who does not know what he's talking about) because I'm on board with your earlier posts. I don't understand for a second how you can so carelessly dismiss the antagonists as "well meaning white folks" or that people are reading the movie as anti-miscegenation.

Because that's literally the point of tension. They're well meaning white folks. They don't wear hoods. They want Chris to be comfortable with the idea of joining their community.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hundu and I are not joking. The film straightforwardly depicts Rod's strong stance against dating white women. "I told you so!"

Holy poo poo that's a leap that should've put you in orbit. Rod isn't against black people dating white women. He's distrustful of the reaction of her parents because racism exists. There is a huge difference between the film exploring the distrust that a lot of black people have about white people and making the claim that the director, a black man married to a white woman, is putting out the message that "race mixing is bad".

Not a joke in the slightest, that is what some people are indeed taking away from the movie, which is a shame.

Gonna go out on a limb and say those people were already predisposed to the idea. The film doesn't make that case, however.

SMG - maybe you can clarify just what the gently caress you are actually saying about the film. Your posting is nearly incomprehensible and you rely on italicizing phrases instead of using clear language. K Waste made a point that I think is similar to what you are trying to say but also makes it clear that we are examining the metaphorical implications of the film.

Like, let me try and restate what I think your thesis is: The events of the film exist as an overlay or "movie version" of some other objective reality where a "real" Chris is struggling with the fear of assimilating into whiteness that comes with commercial success. He encounters other black people that he cannot relate to because they have assimilated and he views them as having been "body snatched". He reacts to this by violently rejecting upper class white society (not with murder and arson, but by burning social bridges), abandoning his girlfriend and running back to blackness as represented by Rod. The events in the movie "happened" in the sense that we are watching an exaggerated version of Chris's personal, internal journey. Is that somewhat close?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

i am the bird posted:

their reading depends on essential truths of whiteness and blackness;

"Chris himself believes in this ineradicable black essence, [...] Chris is wrong. There is no essence".
-SuperMechagodzilla

i am the bird posted:

like the family being "well-meaning"

"[Chris is] welcomed by the racists with open arms. "
"Those characters are racist in a boring, familiar way that Chris has learned to put up with."
"Nice people perpetuate racism."
-SuperMechagodzilla

[quote="i am the bird" post=""470517629"]Chris wishing he was murdered by George Zimmerman.[/quote]

"Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important."
-SuperMechagodzilla

You have poor reading comprehension and it is causing you to imagine false threats.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They aren't actually well meaning white folks in the sense of the plot of the movie (they come off that way at first, but are obviously not), but represent real life well meaning white folks that actually perpetuate racism in ways they don't even realize.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Ignoring intersectional readings of Get Out is discrediting to the filmmakers. There was absolutely no reason to pair Andre with an older white woman - He could just be married to, like, Armitage's niece or some poo poo. The choice was not a dry, 'rational' attempt to express the terror of what Darko talked about, which is that these black folks don't 'drop the act' around other black folks. It is, overtly, a scenario that plays upon ageism and sexism. This was not a mistake.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

They aren't actually well meaning white folks in the sense of the plot of the movie (they come off that way at first, but are obviously not), but represent real life well meaning white folks that actually perpetuate racism in ways they don't even realize.

What's the difference?

K. Waste posted:

Ignoring intersectional readings of Get Out is discrediting to the filmmakers.

The quoted tweets from Jordan Peele say that "we" are in the sunken place. Marginalized people. Who does "we" exclude?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 20, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

- a well meaning goon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Holy poo poo that's a leap that should've put you in orbit. Rod isn't against black people dating white women. He's distrustful of the reaction of her parents because racism exists. There is a huge difference between the film exploring the distrust that a lot of black people have about white people and making the claim that the director, a black man married to a white woman, is putting out the message that "race mixing is bad".

I did not claim anything about the director. I wrote that the Rod character's message is that race-mixing is bad, and that uncritical audiences agree with Rod.

Note: Rod literally believes that there is a conspiracy by white women to steal black men's essence.

What I did claim is that the film is a satire of how hosed up race relations are for everyone, but this backfired when people ended up agreeing wholeheartedly with the dumbass conspiracy theorist character.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Because that's literally the point of tension. They're well meaning white folks. They don't wear hoods. They want Chris to be comfortable with the idea of joining their community.

No, they don't. They don't want Chris. They want Chris's body.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I did not claim anything about the director. I wrote that the Rod character's message is that race-mixing is bad, and that uncritical audiences agree with Rod.

Note: Rod literally believes that there is a conspiracy by white women to steal black men's essence.

Setting aside that this is literally what happens in the movie, do you believe that when people discuss "whiteness" they're actually talking about every single individual white person?

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 20, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What's the difference?

The quoted tweets from Jordan Peele say that "we" are in the sunken place. Marginalized people. Who does "we" exclude?

In reality, none. But that requires people being honest with themselves to realize. Plausable deniability about intent has me coach what is being said in that manner to provide less confusion for people that are not as familiar with more detailed social theory.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

They make the conceit within the plot itself that they know they'll never be fully rid of Chris's mind, so your circular logic is already wrong within the plot of the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

Critical Race Theory would say that there are particular ways black people (and black men specifically) are commodified. What critical race theory would not say is that commodification is exclusive to "white brains" and "black bodies", because that's essentializing. That's Yakubian wokeness. That's Red Pill Philosophy.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

They make the conceit within the plot itself that they know they'll never be fully rid of Chris's mind, so your circular logic is already wrong within the plot of the movie.

Do you think that's by design? You think they want Chris to retain any autonomy? You think they want Andre waking up to a flash? That line is an admission of their work-in-progress technology.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The mechanized conspiracy is just a literalization of the idea that those in power are consciously out to get those who aren't, which is not usually true. Most of the time, these people are just hapless dinks who think they're being super nice but don't realize they're selectively cannibalizing other cultures.

Critical Race Theory would say that there are particular ways black people (and black men specifically) are commodified. What critical race theory would not say is that commodification is exclusive to "white brains" and "black bodies", because that's essentializing. That's Yakubian wokeness. That's Red Pill Philosophy.

e.g., the poet literally wants Chris's eyes because he thinks his photos, which he literally hasn't seen, have "soul".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Black people are some of the people most defendable for being conspiracy theorists since so many literal otherwise ridiculous conspiracy theories have been proven true about black people. Voting laws and zoning, drug laws and possibly some drug community leaking, zoning, and literal experimentation have all happened to black people, many of which particularly to keep black people from amassing too much power. A ridiculous brain swap conspiracy actually being true just plays along with what other ridiculous stuff has been done to black people by white people already, and while laughable on its surface, is really just par for the course.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The mechanized conspiracy is just a literalization of the idea that those in power are consciously out to get those who aren't, which is not usually true. Most of the time, these people are just hapless dinks who think they're being super nice but don't realize they're selectively cannibalizing other cultures.

e.g., the poet literally wants Chris's eyes because he thinks his photos, which he literally hasn't seen, have "soul".

I think he just doesn't want to be blind anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

Black people are some of the people most defendable for being conspiracy theorists since so many literal otherwise ridiculous conspiracy theories have been proven true about black people. Voting laws and zoning, drug laws and possibly some drug community leaking, zoning, and literal experimentation have all happened to black people, many of which particularly to keep black people from amassing too much power. A ridiculous brain swap conspiracy actually being true just plays along with what other ridiculous stuff has been done to black people by white people already, and while laughable on its surface, is really just par for the course.

Also true, however, we have innumerable examples of what comes from belief in conspiracies without a positive program for change. Awfully strange conclusions and a predictable tendency to support the most reactionary impulses.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

His conclusions are motivated by belief and nothing more. Despite the fact that the program "works", he could've just gotten an eye donor. Armitage's program is ideological with a very thin scientific premise. Otherwise, why the direct reference to Videodrome?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 20, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Do you think that's by design?

Absolutely, because it's what was written in the script. This isn't hard science. It's a magic/ghost story ala the Twilight Zone. Peele already pointed out that the ending of the movie is a fantasy because the way it was originally written was too dour because it reflected the real world too much. There's not much in this movie that ISN'T by design, including the "it was all in his head" ending.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Absolutely, because it's what was written in the script. This isn't hard science. It's a magic/ghost story ala the Twilight Zone. Peele already pointed out that the ending of the movie is a fantasy because the way it was originally written was too dour because it reflected the real world too much. There's not much in this movie that ISN'T by design, including the "it was all in his head" ending.

I'm not asking if it's in the script by design. I'm asking if you think the motivation of the white racist characters is to keep the mental remnants of Chris, Andre, Walter, Georgina, etc. when that clearly goes against their stated intentions (the white mind, black body) and when it leads to issues of Andre 'waking up.'

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Also true, however, we have innumerable examples of what comes from belief in conspiracies without a positive program for change. Awfully strange conclusions and a predictable tendency to support the most reactionary impulses.
That's why it's important to remember that you can be badly paranoiac even if there actually is a conspiracy against you. It depends on if you respond to (the possibility of) a conspiracy in a healthy way.

District 9 and Robocop 2014 are examples of films about conspiracies where the subjects are not paranoiac. The protagonists don't have anY bizarre fantasies of persecution; they understand that their enemies are 'only human', and that the true problem is systemic. The desperate white-collar bad guys just tell some halfassed lies because their jobs are at risk.

Get Out and The Matrix are the counterexamples. Like, Tom Anderson ends his film by picking up a random phone and saying "I know you're watching me". Who the gently caress's he talking to? The only good answer is that he's talking to the Worldwide Mad Deadly Communist Gangster Computer God.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 20, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

RCarr posted:

I think he just doesn't want to be blind anymore.

I'm pretty sure he actually says "soul", which is the "magic spice" white people assume black people bring to art.

His conclusions are motivated by belief and nothing more. Despite the fact that the program "works", he could've just gotten an eye donor. Armitage's program is ideological with a very thin scientific premise. Otherwise, why the direct reference to Videodrome?

It's flavor of the month appropriation.

ruddiger posted:

It's a magic/ghost story ala the Twilight Zone. Peele already pointed out that the ending of the movie is a fantasy because the way it was originally written was too dour because it reflected the real world too much.

Well, then it just would've been a remake of Evening Primrose.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Neo was woke when he decided to shoot up the lobby of an office building. White Hotep Neo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is there anything more woke than terrorism? bin laden is bae, fam

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

- a well meaning goon

This is a fun joke but you're misreading what I'm saying. I know that they're supposed to be 'well meaning white folk.' The movie is destroying the myth of the 'well meaning white folk.' The family reduces Chris to their understanding of 'blackness' within seconds. But we can't reject 'well meaning white folk' AND say 'they just wanted to welcome him into the community in a misguided way.' That's contradictory.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually says "soul", which is the "magic spice" white people assume black people bring to art.

When he is talking to him through the TV right before the procedure he literally says "I want your eyes, man."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's flavor of the month appropriation.

It's like Dr. Nyle in Beyond The Black Rainbow trying to harness the power of the yonis or whatever, when in actuality, he's just molesting his daughter. His ideology is cover for the fact that not only does he not know what he's doing (he doesn't know what comes after the Black Rainbow), but also convienently allows him to do whatever strikes his fancy.

The fact that the Armitage Program (I already forget the name) is promoted via infomercial like Herbalife adds another layer to what's simply "going on" on the surface. The first black victim we see is kidnapped, the second we follow is seduced. He has to be convinced. He also has to believe for it to work.

A conspiracy theory is potentially damaging here, because it presupposes that nothing can be done. The forces arrayed against you are simply too cool, too organized. It's too big for you to fathom, behind the Wizard of Oz is another Wizard of Oz, and on and on. This is relevant right now for marginalized people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

i am the bird posted:

This is a fun joke but you're misreading what I'm saying. I know that they're supposed to be 'well meaning white folk.' The movie is destroying the myth of the 'well meaning white folk.' The family reduces Chris to their understanding of 'blackness' within seconds. But we can't reject 'well meaning white folk' AND say 'they just wanted to welcome him into the community in a misguided way.' That's contradictory.

Even if we foolishly take the film 100% literally and examine it only in terms of its plot: why do you think the bad guys take the time to introduce themselves, explain their motivations - even enter into a long-term relationship with the protagonist? It's because they care. The dad even says outright that he considers this a 'green', 'ethical' alternative to just stuffing guys in trunks.

K.Waste was talking about this earlier. It's the same issue as in The Terminator: a Skynet genuinely trying to kill Sarah Connor could have stuffed a nuke inside a cow and ended that film in five seconds. The fact that it didn't do this cannot be dismissed. It must be incorporated into a reading.

• Locked thread