Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

To be fair the game itself is pretty solidly fun, just literally every technical element of its a loving mess.

Have to disagree. Deathwing worked flawlessly for me, somehow, but it got incredibly boring fast. There's practically no enemy variety. Sure there are technically like 10 different types but they all behave exactly the same and are dealt with with the exact same tactics. Add the repetitive scenery and you have a game with nothing new to offer after 2 or 3 missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

They released a big technical patch the other day, anyone know if it runs better yet?

Sort of. The multiplayer is smoother, but even with a hefty rig, you have to turn some stuff off to mitigate stuttering.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Artum posted:

To be fair the game itself is pretty solidly fun, just literally every technical element of its a loving mess.

Did they ever fix the horrible save mechanics. That's really what killed it for me.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Technowolf posted:

Did they ever fix the horrible save mechanics. That's really what killed it for me.

Wouldn't know, I've yet to get back to it after the last 5 times it crashed on a load screen and wouldn't start up last time.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm not surprised considering dark corridors and nids seems like a pretty one-note premise.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Watching over some of the beta footage again it seems like the troop health upgrades are going to be super important for stopping your troops getting gibbed by some elites' abilities. But even so it seems way too powerful that godsplitter will instagib dire avengers at full health in the early game.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Being insta-gibbed is kind of Eldars thing though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

A deathwatch game would be more like Payday or Rainbow Six than left 4 dead.
The Deathwatch game for phones was basically XCOM Lite and it was actually pretty solid. It's on PC too but apparently they made getting new Marines/gear more of a grind with it so it's not as well reviewed. Still, I had a great time playing Deathwatch on my phone, and I normally hate mobile games.

Zaodai posted:

They already tried to make a 40k Left 4 Dead style game, that's what Space Hulk Deathwing was.

That game was disappointing. :saddowns:
At least we have Vermintide, that game rules.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shadow of Mordor but it's Orks, and you eventually unify a planet for a waaagh.

Adopt the stylings and gear of a clan, or don't bother.

A great game that will never be.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Shadow of Mordor but it's Orks, and you eventually unify a planet for a waaagh.

Adopt the stylings and gear of a clan, or don't bother.

A great game that will never be.

Richter mode in the form of Yarrick, be piss weak until your name enters ork culture, then become increasingly ridiculous as they get more and more terrified/amazed at you. at the end you either call in the imperium or take over the warboss you just killed's waagh

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Tirranek posted:

Surprised to hear this considering the seemingly large number of DoW fans determined to crap on it.

The fanbase freaked out about Dawn of War II also, though ironically in the exact opposite direction - people are mad at DoWIII because it's "too large-scale" and "Starcraft-y", but people were mad at DoWII for being "too small-scale" and "not a real RTS". The DoWII open beta convinced a lot of haters that it was worth playing after all, so we'll see if history will repeat itself...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's the Star Wars Galaxies problem, but with sequels. The changes have to bring in enough new people to make up for the people it alienates.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Does anyone in this thread know someone or is someone who refused to play DoW 2, because it was so different from the first series? Or vice versa if 2 was your introduction to the series.
I don't know man I mean 3 just looks like a larger scale from 1 but with the super hero units that can solo entire battalions from 2. And that might be too much micro managing for me.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sazabi posted:

the super hero units that can solo entire battalions from 2.

That's literally not a thing. Every super in 2 much like every other unit dies like a chump when unsupported.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Artum posted:

That's literally not a thing. Every super in 2 much like every other unit dies like a chump when unsupported.

Yeah, offhand I can't think of a single unit that can't be murdered in a hurry by a relevant counter. Even buffed-up melee heroes usually ate poo poo when you suppressed them and sicced some Banshees (or relevant analogue) on their rear end. I still fondly remember all those times some smug space marine sent their Force Commander into melee with my Farseer, only to be swiftly carved up by a combination of Doom and a surprise Shuriken Cannon. :getin:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, offhand I can't think of a single unit that can't be murdered in a hurry by a relevant counter. Even buffed-up melee heroes usually ate poo poo when you suppressed them and sicced some Banshees (or relevant analogue) on their rear end. I still fondly remember all those times some smug space marine sent their Force Commander into melee with my Farseer, only to be swiftly carved up by a combination of Doom and a surprise Shuriken Cannon. :getin:

Most satisfying thing I'd managed was probably soloing a baneblade with my force commander, just repeatedly smacking it with a power fist as it tried to reverse up a hill because the idiot didn't think to send even a single squad of guardsmen with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fetterkey posted:

The fanbase freaked out about Dawn of War II also, though ironically in the exact opposite direction - people are mad at DoWIII because it's "too large-scale" and "Starcraft-y", but people were mad at DoWII for being "too small-scale" and "not a real RTS". The DoWII open beta convinced a lot of haters that it was worth playing after all, so we'll see if history will repeat itself...

To be honest Artum's beta posts in the thread have shifted me from "what the hell is this unbelievable crap" to "maybe this could be good".

Sazabi posted:

Does anyone in this thread know someone or is someone who refused to play DoW 2, because it was so different from the first series? Or vice versa if 2 was your introduction to the series.
I don't know man I mean 3 just looks like a larger scale from 1 but with the super hero units that can solo entire battalions from 2. And that might be too much micro managing for me.

Even a couple of squads of Guardians could kill an unsupported Force Commander with the tiniest bit of micro(run away when he tries to melee you while shooting him with the other squad) in 2.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Most range heroes in DoW 2 are about as powerful as a T1 range squad. Melee heroes usually have problem closing to melee range (even then almost all faction have suppression or knock back on demand that allow disengage easily). The one immune to suppression and knock back are both slower than similar hero (Chaos Lord and Hive Tyrant) and have really low damage and disruption without wargear upgrade or ability. (Chaos lord has like 25 power_melee dps while most T1 melee squads have over 100 melee dps.)

The only really OP unit that I remember could solo entire army without support were Assault Terminators in Chaos Rising's release patch when they had melee_heavy attack on their power claws while being very cheap to summon. Actually now that I think about it hero unit in DoW1 might actually be stronger than the ones in DoW2 except in 2 you have more ways to customize them and there's less things to focus fire them.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Re: one of my earlier posts its pretty much confirmed 9 elite choices per side now as we know 9 for marines 9 for eldar and 8 for orks.

Marines get:
  • Chapter master
  • Librarian
  • Chaplain
  • Deathwatch
  • Terminators
  • Assault Terminators
  • Ranged Knight
  • Melee Knight
  • Venerable Dread with a plasma cannon
Eldar get:
  • Farseer
  • Jain Zar (the phoenix lord)
  • Ronahn (the ranger from 2)
  • Autarch
  • Warp Spiders
  • Striking Scorpions
  • Wraithlord
  • Cannons Wraithknight
  • Sword Wraithknight
Orks get:
  • Warboss
  • Weirdboy
  • Big Mekk
  • Mega-Armor Nobz
  • Mad Dredd
  • Storm Boyz
  • Gorkanaut
  • Morkanaut
  • An Unknown
A lot of animation rig re-use, but still a larger number of unique rigs per race and no more third-of-eldar-being-platforms from 2 or chaos mostly being recycled marines from 1.

Also as a few people were bothered by it you might like to know, fire on the move is in the game its just a doctrine choice rather than in a given. The 3 doctrines tac marines have are being good at melee, having frag grenades as an ability, or being able to fire while moving.

Artum fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 20, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder how they'll balance it so that the smaller walkers will still be a viable choice compared to the -Knight ones. After all, intuitively they seem to fill roughly the same overall role, except the larger knights are bigger and better in most every aspect.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

I wonder how they'll balance it so that the smaller walkers will still be a viable choice compared to the -Knight ones. After all, intuitively they seem to fill roughly the same overall role, except the larger knights are bigger and better in most every aspect.

The main balancing aspect for pretty much all the elites is their point cost but from whats been shown they don't overlap too too much in role either. The wraithlord costs 7 points to the melee wraithknight's assumed 9/10 meaning you can get it onto the field 4-6 minutes earlier and leverage the advantage of having more elites if the other players saving for one of the late game ones, they both have a charge that gibs stuff, but the wraithlord has a wall it can put down that blocks shots, speed boosts friendly units moving through and slows enemies whereas the wraithknight has some kind of big attack which we're not entirely clear on what it does yet.

Artum fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, offhand I can't think of a single unit that can't be murdered in a hurry by a relevant counter.

Nob Squad with "Use yer Choppas" active.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

This.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The most important question: does this game have tinboys

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wow. Deep cut.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Perestroika posted:

To expand on the above. The Elites you chose and the if/when you bring them in is a critical part of each game. In the beta I'd normally go for the Killsquad to get an early advantage (It's got the firepower of roughly 1.5 Tactical Squads, a stun grenade and other Elites can be dropped on it), but then skip Gabrial in the mid-game if it was going well so that I could bring down Soleria 6-8 minutes earlier.

Loading only high-tier Elites is going to get you wrecked in the early/mid game and most games will finish before you even get to summon them all. Walker Elites will be fantastic mid-game counters to melee hero Elites and will, for 'free', allow you to force your opponent to invest in some dedicated anti-tank options.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Perestroika posted:

I think I saw a video where a Wraithlord kills Solaria in melee combat - the big shooting walkers look like they are still vulnerable to melee attackers, and a smaller walker can come out much sooner.

I really like the Elite system and will be interested to see how it plays out. It seems like a good mix of the heroes from Dawn of War II and the commander system from Company of Heroes, which should allow for some interesting and adaptive plays. Based on "things that I think are cool" I like the idea of Deathwatch/Vendread/melee Knight, but we'll have to see how good that actually is - I'm not sure how the timing works with respect to getting the really big guns out.

The doctrine system also seems like a big upgrade to the CoH2 "bulletins", which were an interesting idea but in practice usually so low impact that the choices scarcely mattered (they were mostly things like "+3% Rifleman accuracy"). Is there an article or wiki or whatever listing the doctrine choices somewhere? Also, can you take multiple doctrines that affect the same units? It might be interesting to spend several slots on "super-Tacs" with multiple buffs, for instance.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Doctrines this time add abilities rather than small stat changes. A few quick examples are critial-melee strike to Tactical marines to give them some melee ability, Listening posts able to reenforce/heal, Predators getting a shield, scouts in cover slow hostiles ect

Each Elite also has a selectable secondary ability which will generally buff one of your units while it's deployed.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kokoro Wish posted:

Inquisitor Effect where you play a Mass Effect style game as an Inquisitor. The choices you make split you down the paths of Orthodoxy or Radicalism. Also you get to sleep with a Kroot.

mass effect 40k only makes sense using a rogue trader

Arcsquad12 posted:

eh some of the heaviest elite units take like 15-30 seconds of sustained fire to kill, pinning abilities like an inquisitor with excruciators can do the trick when they're immune to normal suppression

barring that: direct hit with an eldrich storm or other nukes to a lesser degrees :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can people playing the beta or whatever confirm that game still looks and feel like playing a mobile game. I played it at PAX Aus after queuing up with excitement and was not impressed.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

hard counter posted:

mass effect 40k only makes sense using a rogue trader

Like Eisenhorn, you can have a rogue trader on tap. Or just forcefully compel one to take you somewhere.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it's all about having a warrant of trade and too much money instead of responsibilities

free reign to do whatever you want, even trade with aliens, your own ship and organization and the ability to pal around with ork merks without going full radical, all that owns bones over doing yet another genestealer cult investigation

get some spooky dark eldari as party members, maybe even as a love interest :gonk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Adeptus Arbites FPS when?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JBP posted:

Adeptus Arbites FPS when?

Around the same time some Russian developer creates the ultimate imperial guard misery simulator.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Around the same time some Russian developer creates the ultimate imperial guard misery simulator.

Pathologic in space?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Pathologic in space?

Wherein you play a simple doctor on an imperial world attempting to cure a mysterious plague only to succumb to grandfather nurgle's loving embrace :unsmigghh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

An Overlord clone where you play a commissar leading a bunch of guardsmen around.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Plan Z posted:

An Overlord clone where you play a commissar leading a bunch of guardsmen around.

Getting them killed constantly will be even more thematic this way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

Getting them killed constantly will be even more thematic this way.

"Sweep your guardsmen into the Bloodthirster Daemon to kill it distract it while the artillery gets in position."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Plan Z posted:

In that vein I really wish they'd drop the dark millenium/eternal crusade type thing and just make everyone squad leaders so you're a Nob with a dozen boys or a sergeant with 4 marines as AI to order around instead of everyone being disparate units, turning a 5 a side match into a much bigger fight.

• Locked thread