Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I didn't stealth that section since I'm a huge gently caress up at stealth so I walked backwards in circles and alternated between bomb arrows and throwing bombs, then finished the last one or two off normally

They kept seeing me! I had to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's a pile of 25 bananas, bananas hanging on the walls, stasis+, and the only guards you have to deal with are the 2 in doorways. C'mon y'all

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Lol if you did that section and didn't kill literally everyone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kashuno posted:

Lol if you did that section and didn't kill literally everyone.

I killed the guy in the first room after failing once. He got stunned lock by the claymore so he could never bring in a helper. And yeah bananas and statis + make it really easy to do. Also the game has a lot of stealth gear you can use to cut their line of sight down if your having trouble.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

il serpente cosmico posted:

The aforementioned OHKO regardless of gear, and the huge HP pool these guys have does not make that feel like a legitimate solution.

Seemed about the same to me, but then again, I didn't upgrade my HP ever or use any health refill/defense boost things throughout the entire game, so everything OHKO'ing was the norm.

I don't mind dying. I've died dozens of times in BOTW. The only ones that felt cheap were in that section. The game uses death to teach you that you something about it's world: Don't equip metal in a lightning storm. Don't use fire in a grass field that you intend to stand in. Don't run out of stamina when you're climbing a cliff face. The deaths in that section teach you nothing because that section has it's own set of rules. It's poor design.

"Don't get caught in the middle when sneaking in enemy territory"? I don't get why getting caught in a stealth section is any more arbitrary than "Don't using X weapon type in Y area type".

It also isn't the first/only stealth section of the game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I just fought them normally and timed my dodges like with every other idiot bad guy in the game that telegraphs their attacks from a mile away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How does grabbing stuff from a different region work? Can I switch my account to grab a demo and switch back or do I need to make a new account?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Just finished the forced stealth sequence in BOTW. 50 hours in, this is the only sequence I would say that's been outright bad. In a game with a clear set of rules and multiple ways to do most things, this sequence broke many of the rules set by the game, and it only really has one solution. Getting one-hit KO'd no matter your armor, health, ferries, or special ability buff is super tedious and goes against everything else in the game. There is only one good solution: Don't get spotted. And every choice you make in your approach is in service of that solution.

It isn't long or incredibly hard, but getting spotted once means you need to restart from the beginning. The whole thing felt like a joke from the devs. They really wanted everyone to see the silly enemy animation when you drop the bananas in front of them. With a small amount of tweaking, it would have been fine.

I never dropped any bananas. I just put on the Sheikah suit and sneakstriked the lot of them. Very easy and fun.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does grabbing stuff from a different region work? Can I switch my account to grab a demo and switch back or do I need to make a new account?

Everyone keeps saying you need an account for that region but once its on the system you can use any account.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol that secret of mana collection

cant wait

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I've been a bad gamer and never picked up Shovel Knight until now. This game is fantastic and I recommend it as a switch purchase if you're like me and haven't picked it up yet.

Pixel art as it is, the widescreen format fits perfectly on the portable screen and looks fantastic. Nothing is too small, colors pop out gorgeously, and the only caveat is that the tiny buttons take some getting used to, especially on the dpad. Solution is to use the pro controller, but I bought it specifically to train myself on using the joycons for a game that requires precision. Plus it's really fun!

There's been a few times early on where I'd accidentally hit 2 buttons at once and get an undesired trip down into a pit/spikes/lava, but that's on me and after a few hours play have that ironed out on my end. Zelda isn't so punishing for input error so I didn't have that negative reinforcement to train on; gotta prep for that monster hunter title years down the line....hopefully.

Voez looks rad, and might be getting it at some point, but I've heard too many good things about Blaster Master 0 to not pick that up next. Whats up with that snake pass game I haven't seen anyone talk about? It looks really pretty and unique gameplay-wise at first glance, if not aping on the rare styling from Yooka Laylee. It's released a little earlier, and the aesthetic similarity has me a little skeptical and cautious for no other reason than the proximity of release.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No More Heroes PHYSICAL release delayed a week in Australia if you're hanging out for that.

You can save $10 by buying it on the US shop when it releases this week :toot:

eShop still says $40 and 29th
Snake Pass is also the 29th + $26 :toot:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 21, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you sneakstrike them, even a Korok Leaf will kill one instantly. The stealth section was pretty easy; I didn't even use a single banana. I just decked myself out in my stealth suit and sneakstruck every single one with my Korok Leaf. Once you realize they have really poor peripheral vision and you can just walk right up to the side of that one guy by the door it's pretty trivial.

I didn't even think to use Stasis+, which should make it even easier.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Infinitum posted:

No More Heroes delayed a week in Australia if you're hanging out for that.

You can save $10 by buying it on the US shop when it releases this week :toot:

please don't joke about no more heroes.

I assume you're talking about Has Been Heroes?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's the one :v:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Colorspray posted:

Whats up with that snake pass game I haven't seen anyone talk about? It looks really pretty and unique gameplay-wise at first glance, if not aping on the rare styling from Yooka Laylee. It's released a little earlier, and the aesthetic similarity has me a little skeptical and cautious for no other reason than the proximity of release.

There's musical work by David Wise who has done a lot of music for Donkey Kong and some other Rare games. Looks like an open world collectable-happy game with guiding the snake safely as its gimmick. Which seems really good to me

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Patter Song posted:

Seiken Densetsu 1-3 collection coming to Switch, digital and physical, June 1st. 4800 yen. No word re localization.

Yes, SE is charging 50 bucks for a Game Boy Rom and two SNES Roms.

Ya, that is pricey, especially without porting over Adventures of Mana from the Vita. I have Secret on my SNES and Final Fantasy Adventure on my GB, so for $43 I would rather just play the fan translation ROM of 3 unless I was desperate for something new on my Switch. Well, I dunno... knowing me I would wait for it to drop to $20 and buy it anyway if they did an english localization.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly my biggest complaint with the dock is the fact it doesn't have at least some weights in it so it doesn't have this weird center of balance that any light tug from a cord will cause it to tumble off wherever it is

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Colorspray posted:

Whats up with that snake pass game I haven't seen anyone talk about? It looks really pretty and unique gameplay-wise at first glance, if not aping on the rare styling from Yooka Laylee. It's released a little earlier, and the aesthetic similarity has me a little skeptical and cautious for no other reason than the proximity of release.

I'm crazy hype for Snake Pass, the movement gimmick is way more interesting than any of the other 3D platformer throwbacks coming out.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Dock is fine and serves its purpose, although the knowledge of people scratching their screens makes me ultra careful undocking/docking and wish they had put a couple soft bumpers to prevent the issue entirely.

The kickstand isn't great and only displays at one angle, but I feel like its true purpose is to be easy access to the SD card slot. Which I adore - unscrewing the 3ds and prying it open was an inconvenience I'm glad I don't have with this shiny new toy.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Honestly my biggest complaint with the dock is the fact it doesn't have at least some weights in it so it doesn't have this weird center of balance that any light tug from a cord will cause it to tumble off wherever it is

Yeah and it doesn't help that the both cords are super thick, stiff, and short and come out from the dock at an awkward angle.

The Wii U dock was fine and I don't get why they didn't just replicate it exactly. I think the idea is that they didn't want to confuse the consumer by having the screen visible while playing on TV so people don't think it's supposed to have dual screen capabilities. But it's a shame we have to deal with an inferior product just so dummies don't get confused.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Norns posted:

I like Secret of Evermore more than the Mana games. My hot take.

Same, though that's more because I owned Evermore but never really played the Mana games.
I would love a rerelease of Evermore.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Norns posted:

I like Secret of Evermore more than the Mana games. My hot take.

Most people from Podunk do

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

eonwe posted:

lol that secret of mana collection

cant wait

i dont think it will be in english, but i already have 2500 yen on my switch ready to buy it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

We're not getting a localized version of the Secret of Mana collection, are we? I mean, it's cool the console is region free but not being able to read anything and get the story would suck. It's been so long since I've played SoM and SD3 I don't remember either games' story at this point.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Nintendo Switch: It is the docking worst.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

s.i.r.e. posted:

We're not getting a localized version of the Secret of Mana collection, are we?

:iiam:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hope we do but I can see Square saying gently caress it since SD3 never had an English translation and they probably don't care to have it done.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

if you really have to play sd3, there are english translated :filez: out there and they are good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has Been Heroes has an art style I don't really like, is by the company that made Trine games which I was hoping I would enjoy from loving Lost Vikings but I was ultimately disappointed, and has a gameplay mechanic that looks both tedious and stressful to me, and really doesn't look like a $40 game.

So for me it has almost everything going against it, but is getting a massive push from Nintendo and GameStop (for obvious reasons since they're publshing it).

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Welp, I guess I'll just keep reading about the Switch until I finish work so I can go home and play more Switch.

Is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe supposed to have better graphics than the WiiU version? It was a great game but without new courses or BOTW-esque reviews I can't really see myself paying for it again.

Also only 3 more days til the Splatoon 2 "test fire", holla!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

if you really have to play sd3, there are english translated :filez: out there and they are good

The point is that SD3 never got an English release, so if they did an official port it'd be huge news.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blazing Zero posted:

That's what I did back in the day, but having it translated on the Switch with co-op would be amazing.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

id like to see that vaunted netplay stuff happen to it, as well

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Has Been Heroes ~ doesn't look like a $40 game.

It's $20USD ($26AUD) on the US eShop

And $40AUD ($31USD) on the Aussie eShop

:eng101:

Snake Pass is looking like the better pickup this week.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deltron 3030 posted:

Welp, I guess I'll just keep reading about the Switch until I finish work so I can go home and play more Switch.

Is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe supposed to have better graphics than the WiiU version? It was a great game but without new courses or BOTW-esque reviews I can't really see myself paying for it again.

Also only 3 more days til the Splatoon 2 "test fire", holla!

It's 1080p 60fps compared to 720p 59fps. Other than that I don't think the graphics are fundamentally different.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Isn't it spring now? Where's ARMS Nintendo!!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dunno if anyone has gotten Human Resource Machine but it uses the gyro in the right remote for a Wii like pointer like I said would be possible and it works super nice. Best part is I can lay on my side pointing the Joycon in some other direction then the TV and it will function since it doesn't need an IR camera

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The battle mode in Deluxe looks better than I expected with all those modes. Renegade Roundup looks like it'll be fun as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen so many articles shocked at this functionality and even a couple saying Nintendo was dumb not to advertise their system could do this, as if gyro mouses haven't existed since forever.

• Locked thread