Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nifft posted:

Forgot to save right before making the choice. I went science does choosing military instead look any different?

I also went science. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Also I just looked through the Cultural Exchange. I was laughing at the whole thing for being transparently bullshit. Makes me wonder who wrote the self-aware parts of this game and who was responsible for the dumbass Pathfinder savior nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Link what? I played the game and it happened.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Serf posted:

Also I just looked through the Cultural Exchange. I was laughing at the whole thing for being transparently bullshit. Makes me wonder who wrote the self-aware parts of this game and who was responsible for the dumbass Pathfinder savior nonsense.
If I had to guess I would say a veteran for the former and a new hire for the latter.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Link what? I played the game and it happened.

show me a video of cool renegade-esque stuff happening in the game my man

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Despite this thread I went out and bought this game at Gamestop. Apparently they're doing a promo where Pro members get a discount on this game and then a credit on some other game you can buy. But they charge you for the credit so I effectively pay full price. It's not really a discount at all, now is it? Gamestop hustling me again.

Edit: Looking at it closer it's actually some sort of bizarre season pass for buying games. Pay 10 now, save 10 if you buy certain games within 30 days of release. Interesting.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 21, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

What I think happened is some parts of this game are supposed to be more self-aware. There is no way there are all these off hand comments about Addison's face(poker etc etc) unless writers know what the hell is going on. I'm finding a ton of places the writers tried cashing some checks that the Voice direction and actors couldn't cash.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

What I think happened is some parts of this game are supposed to be more self-aware. There is no way there are all these off hand comments about Addison's face(poker etc etc) unless writers know what the hell is going on. I'm finding a ton of places the writers tried cashing some checks that the Voice direction and actors couldn't cash.

It's the opposite for the Cultural Exchange. The voice they use when explaining about how eager they are to be friends is so saccharine and over the top that it has to be aware of the intent. While I agree that most of the voice direction is well, directionless, that poo poo was on point.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spacebump posted:

Not being able to control party members' abilities is ridiculous. They have almost been reduced to talking props. About 5 hours in. ME 1-3 are some of my favorite games, so far nothing in this one has grabbed me. It really does feel like someone made an inferior knockoff but was allowed to use aliens from the other games. Sad to see the series fall off like this. Unless things get better later on, I can't see myself buying DLC or replaying this.

Yeah. Can't choose their weapons either. Or tell them to swap to a different one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My hot take so far being about 11 hours in: it's real good. Every complaint leveled at the game has fairly valid points, it just sucks to read gamers and reviewers opinions like this is new to Bioware games. I'm replaying baldurs gate 2, KOTOR, and mass effect 1 at the same time for the past few months, and the writing and characters and animations are no worse than they ever were. And certainly not enough to detract from the experience. Wandering around the first vault on Eos was loving awesome and the first time in the entire ME series I thought: "that is loving alien and way beyond us." Multiplayer is also good and fun. If your problem with the game is that you're too busy looking at slow mo gifs and worried about how trans characters are represented, congratulations! The game isn't the problem, you are!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Holy Christ the multi has issues.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Dude come on you can't compare KOTOR animations and Andromeda and go "eh they were never that good".

KOTOR they had no facial animations, Andromeda the facial animations do not match what they are doing. It's loving weird and off-putting because you're looking at someone who's face is happy but they are sad like some psychopath.

Serf
May 5, 2011

When you step out of the vault on Eos and the area is brighter, the skies are blue and everything seems a little more in focus, that is a great moment. Definitely feels like suitable payoff and really makes me want to go hunt down more of these vaults.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

doctor 7 posted:

Dude come on you can't compare KOTOR animations and Andromeda and go "eh they were never that good".

KOTOR they had no facial animations, Andromeda the facial animations do not match what they are doing. It's loving weird and off-putting because you're looking at someone who's face is happy but they are sad like some psychopath.

When I made that point I was referencing more the writing than the animation. But both so far are just fine in this game. Witcher 3 blows it out of the water on both fronts, but I knew that going in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dexo posted:

So you think the animators did the facial expressions and then the writers do the script?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Serf posted:

When you step out of the vault on Eos and the area is brighter, the skies are blue and everything seems a little more in focus, that is a great moment. Definitely feels like suitable payoff and really makes me want to go hunt down more of these vaults.

Yeah, it was really nice. :unsmith:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Now that I have a character who can trigger their own combos, Multiplayer is a lot more enjoyable. No idea what they were thinking stripping out a bunch of the combo powers since it's, like, the most fun thing about the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vetra is literally female garrus lol

I hope I can bromance her, my Sara only has eyes for Liam right now. He's rad

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think I've completed everything on Eos, except maybe a few minor tasks that don't have a map icon. Disappointing. I was hoping for a couple of interesting side quests where I'd meet a few interesting characters, maybe a cut scene or two, but there's nothing.

Unless I have to come back later, all you do on Eos are some pretty boring fetch quests. One thing I did that was kinda fun was fight this Remnant dragon but everything else was just "go here, press A on this spot". At one point during that quest you meet some of the Nexus exiles that have their own colony in some caves but nothing ever comes of it - you never go to that colony or hear any more about it. You meet Zaeed's son and he sends you off to destroy some Kett bases and ...nothing really comes of it. You activate a console on the bases and the quest is over via comm link.

So if Eos is any indication of the rest of the planets - just don't bother with the side quests.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arglebargle III posted:

So you think the animators did the facial expressions and then the writers do the script?

So you think especially in a game with as much development hell as this one seemingly had that there aren't a multitude of script changes, and revisions.

No but seriously though we software developers all still use a pure waterfall method when managing a project...

Also I didn't mention anything about the animators in the first place. Just the voices.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 21, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

My hot take so far being about 11 hours in: it's real good. Every complaint leveled at the game has fairly valid points, it just sucks to read gamers and reviewers opinions like this is new to Bioware games. I'm replaying baldurs gate 2, KOTOR, and mass effect 1 at the same time for the past few months, and the writing and characters and animations are no worse than they ever were. And certainly not enough to detract from the experience. Wandering around the first vault on Eos was loving awesome and the first time in the entire ME series I thought: "that is loving alien and way beyond us." Multiplayer is also good and fun. If your problem with the game is that you're too busy looking at slow mo gifs and worried about how trans characters are represented, congratulations! The game isn't the problem, you are!

I played through Citadel just recently and from what I saw there and with this, the animations are definitely better. Things were stiffer in that one. I think, broken record here, games like Witcher 3 just raised the bar so high. That said I'm loving Andromeda because it's what I want out of a Bioware game plus their most fun combat so far.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

wat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tbf a lot of my posts in this thread are accidental double posts.

chaosapiant posted:

Oh so you're replaying 10-15 year old games and it's all the same as this modern, current game? oh okay.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 21, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Yeah. It's a pointless call back. It's not cool or interesting. He's there for 20 seconds of dialogue where he briefly mentions his dad was some big time merc that he never met.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

How are you guys queuing as party for multiplayer games with a group of less than four? My friend and I can't get anyone to join our lobby.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's more the animation coding is just kind of buggy. At least that's what was claimed two months ago when the issue first started showing up on the radar in early videos.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

Crafting was also bad in witcher 3. The concept sucks.

Nothing pissed me off more then having to pause the game to switch the poison on my blade depending on the enemy. One of the main reasons why I never made it out of novigrad

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ahahahaha I just realized why the Codex makes such a big deal of SAM being a "new type" of AI based on human experience and a "symbiotic relationship".

Mac Walters still wants his loving green ending goddammit.

And the first dad memory just makes it more explicit. They're literally attempting to justify the ending of ME3, jfc.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

A pyjak riding a varren.

Pyjak-varren cavalry officer would be excellent. What if the pyjak wore a little hat? What if the varren did?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Holy poo poo my computer has trouble running this, and it looks like poo poo when it does.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

1stGear posted:

Ahahahaha I just realized why the Codex makes such a big deal of SAM being a "new type" of AI based on human experience and a "symbiotic relationship".

Mac Walters still wants his loving green ending goddammit.

lmao gently caress

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

tbf a lot of my posts in this thread are accidental double posts.

Oh so you're replaying 10-15 year old games and it's all the same as this modern, current game? oh okay.

LOL

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

Nothing pissed me off more then having to pause the game to switch the poison on my blade depending on the enemy. One of the main reasons why I never made it out of novigrad

That's annoying but what's worse to me is I finally have what I need to build something and I get hit with "wrong craftsman"? Well loving forget it then, there's one goddamned blacksmith in all of Velen that I can tell and by the time I hit Novigrad I won't want this thing anymore.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Exquisite tea has about 600 posts in this thread about not liking a game. Thats as clear of an indication of mental illness as I've ever seen.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 21, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drifter posted:

Maybe they still have a Soundblaster 16

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe they still have a Soundblaster 16

A Voodoo 3

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drifter posted:

A Voodoo 3

Matrox Millenium or :frogout:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Man, these loving transitions between planet scanning really gets on my nerves. Generally, everything feels so slow outside of combat. Slow transitions between planets, into dialogues (and inside, where you think you can see the engine searching an queuing up the next dialogue response), between areas, driving around, getting in and out of the Nomad, walking slowly around scanning, the cumbersome menu... Everything in the game seems to be designed to slow you down annoyingly and deliberately.

Also every loving thing relates back to either the Remnants, the Scourge or the Kett. This makes the whole new galaxy feel extremely small.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Did they patch Jaal to be a gay rear end cum chugger yet?

what i'm asking is

game good yet?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think they spent most of this game's budget on male ryder's rear end cheeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If you have a beefy video card.
GstRender.TextureQuality 4
This is a DA:I setting but it works in ME:A given you Ultra+ texture quality.