Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fast RMX is really good and you should all get it since it's only $20.

It's super impressive, especially for a launch indie title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Is it pretty certain gamestop is getting some more in stock for tomorrow? I ask because we can get some discounted gift cards but I'm not that much of a gambler.

Edit: that is, in non bundle form.

GameStop by me said they were going to have some trickling in almost daily. They had 4 today (with 9 people already in line an hour before they opened). I don't think I'll be able to make the wait to actually get one without taking time off work and I don't want one THAT bad.

I've been trying Target right before work since they open at 8 and it's 5 minutes from work. I'm hoping this restock gamestock is getting means well for other retailers

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It really is a great arcade racer. Right down to the announcer being perfect too. This would be in a cabinet with big speakers, a rumbling seat, and lots of pulsing neon. When you get your first full bar boost uninterrupted and just go it gives an amazing sense of speed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there anything with actually-reasonably-reliable notifications when major online retailers restock? Phone app, anything that emails or texts, whatever works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isn't there some issue with Fast RMX and it's frame rate that was supposed to be fixed with the Switch firmware?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

s.i.r.e. posted:

By "big plastic firewall" you mean a thin piece of plastic?

Yes, large enough to make a place for that bigass battery, in addition to a cover, a retaining spring, and some kind of feature to keep your customers from putting in the battery the wrong way. The loss of a heat sink is more important, we already know the Switch can put out a lot of heat in the current configuration. Every cubic millimeter of this device is spoken for and every additional feature means making a sacrifice somewhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there anything with actually-reasonably-reliable notifications when major online retailers restock? Phone app, anything that emails or texts, whatever works.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

It takes about 5 minutes for an online retailer to sell out whenever they get some stock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It really is a great arcade racer. Right down to the announcer being perfect too. This would be in a cabinet with big speakers, a rumbling seat, and lots of pulsing neon. When you get your first full bar boost uninterrupted and just go it gives an amazing sense of speed

Fun fact: It has the same announcer as F-Zero GX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yes, large enough to make a place for that bigass battery, in addition to a cover, a retaining spring, and some kind of feature to keep your customers from putting in the battery the wrong way. The loss of a heat sink is more important, we already know the Switch can put out a lot of heat in the current configuration. Every cubic millimeter of this device is spoken for and every additional feature means making a sacrifice somewhere.

The Switch battery wastes a bunch of space with a thick layer of foam, and notching the battery and compartment so it only fits one way and labeling it with arrows that have to line up isn't really hard to do. They could design a battery that pulls out from the bottom of the device and makes it easily swappable.

The battery thing is really a non-issue because by the time it needs replacing there is going to be another model out and having Nintendo fix it is cheap enough, but to think that designing a swappable battery just wasn't possible is bullshit.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

GameStop by me said they were going to have some trickling in almost daily. They had 4 today (with 9 people already in line an hour before they opened). I don't think I'll be able to make the wait to actually get one without taking time off work and I don't want one THAT bad.

I've been trying Target right before work since they open at 8 and it's 5 minutes from work. I'm hoping this restock gamestock is getting means well for other retailers

Yeah. We live out in the sticks, so I can't even do that except at the local Walmart, which is the only place likely to have any within about 40 miles. We're going on an expedition tomorrow to the nearest "Big City" if you can call it that, and timing it for earlyish in the morning so we can hit a few stores for possible Switch action before getting to our actual destinations.

Local Walmart did tell my wife today they have 17 coming in soon, but couldn't tell her when they were coming beyond "maybe 3 to 7 days," so if we don't come across any tomorrow I guess I'll leave for work 10-15 minutes early every day this week.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
God this is just like the Wii all over again.

I know they do this on purpose but when will they learn to just make enough stock to satisfy demand.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They were initially making 8 million and now making 16 million which most people think it's way too many.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm actually kind of depressed at how well-designed Binding of Isaac is.

I make (but never finish) computer games as a hobby, and my M.O. is always to find a few simple but enjoyable core mechanics, then exhaust every possible combination of those mechanics for a factorial explosion of gameplay situations.

Isaac has this down to a tee, and I can't even conceive of ways to make it better at the things it tries to do.

Then I look at my on-paper projects and get disheartened.

On the plus side, current and upcoming Switch releases have me spending a lot more time playing games than I'm traditionally used to.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Talorat posted:

God this is just like the Wii all over again.

I know they do this on purpose but when will they learn to just make enough stock to satisfy demand.

They were cautious about how well it would be received and did an initial run of 2 million worldwide; and who could blame them about being a little bit trepidatious after the WiiU failed to sell well.

Then they saw how well it was received and have boosted production to 16 million for the rest of the year.

Yeah it sucks people can't get one of the hottest game consoles around, but hopefully with the throttle flipped to high gear it should be much easier to secure one (soonish)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Should have preordered :smuggo:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

People salty about not doing the thing they need to do pretty much every time a new Nintendo console releases if they have any interest in it

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I bought a Switch and it came with a very bent dock that lightly scratched my screen the one and only time I used it. I called Nintendo and set up a repair/replacement. The replacement shipped back today and... it's another very bent dock.

What the gently caress?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought this was supposed to be a Wii U situation where I could go into a store and just buy one?

What the gently caress Nintendo! How dare you make a very popular children's toy!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been using the professional controller almost exudively whenever I play in docked to the television. But right now I'm using the joycons lazy handed while lounging back in my chair and playing Blaster Master. This is the future of gaming.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Hello Switch thread.

I want a Switch. I stopped by two stores today and neither had a switch. The man at GameStop was a grown man and also very very nerdy. He told me they would have five switches either tomorrow or Thursday. Unfortunately I probably won't get one. Maybe I will though and if so I would be very happy, because

the Switch Seems Good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kirios posted:

I thought this was supposed to be a Wii U situation where I could go into a store and just buy one?

What the gently caress Nintendo! How dare you make a very popular children's toy!
Even the Wii U was supply limited for a good while wasn't it? Idk making consoles until people stop buying them all seems like a reasonable strategy to me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Hey all, just chiming in to say my Switch has absolutely no flaws and is perfect and I own a pro controller and I'm not even using either of them right now. Nbd.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hey all, just chiming in to say my Switch has absolutely no flaws and is perfect and I own a pro controller and I'm not even using either of them right now. Nbd.

:same:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nintendo should definitely have hit the "make enough consoles that everyone who wants one can get one" button, if I worked there I definitely would have pressed that button.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

zenintrude posted:

People salty about not doing the thing they need to do pretty much every time a new Nintendo console releases if they have any interest in it

No salt here, I wanted to preorder and would have, but finances weren't in order then so this is the earliest opportunity I've had.

One of my daughters' friends got one at launch though and she brought it over with Zelda; that made the wait a little tougher. I tried not to watch too closely but after a while in one of the divine beasts I was studying it enough to be giving her little hints and dang it I want that game right now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hammer Bro. posted:

I make (but never finish) computer games as a hobby, and my M.O. is always to find a few simple but enjoyable core mechanics, then exhaust every possible combination of those mechanics for a factorial explosion of gameplay situations.

Isaac has this down to a tee, and I can't even conceive of ways to make it better at the things it tries to do.

On the plus side, current and upcoming Switch releases have me spending a lot more time playing games than I'm traditionally used to.

The thing to remember is Binding of Isaac is a game that's been in constant development by a team of people for 6 years at this point. A couple of people banged out an initial concept in Flash in a week, polished it to the point of "well, okay it doesn't suck too hard" over the following 3 months, and while the original was fun at the time, comparing it to what's out today is...well, you can tell it's the same game, but that's about it. It speaks to that purity of game mechanics that so little about it has changed on a superficial level, but the amount of time they've spent working on it shows.

The upshot is "just hack out something fun and worry about more content later", don't let yourself get bogged down comparing a project you haven't started yet to something that's had 6 years of trial and error behind it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd be in a bigger hurry to buy a pro controller if:

A.) I could find one
B.)It had a headphone jack
C.)If I ever used my switch docked

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abisteen posted:

Hello Switch thread.

I want a Switch. I stopped by two stores today and neither had a switch. The man at GameStop was a grown man and also very very nerdy. He told me they would have five switches either tomorrow or Thursday. Unfortunately I probably won't get one. Maybe I will though and if so I would be very happy, because

the Switch Seems Good.

its good

good luck on your switchventure

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The thing to remember is Binding of Isaac is a game that's been in constant development by a team of people for 6 years at this point. A couple of people banged out an initial concept in Flash in a week, polished it to the point of "well, okay it doesn't suck too hard" over the following 3 months, and while the original was fun at the time, comparing it to what's out today is...well, you can tell it's the same game, but that's about it. It speaks to that purity of game mechanics that so little about it has changed on a superficial level, but the amount of time they've spent working on it shows.

The upshot is "just hack out something fun and worry about more content later", don't let yourself get bogged down comparing a project you haven't started yet to something that's had 6 years of trial and error behind it.

ya, BoI is very different today than it was early on

honestly i bet you are being too hard on yourself, if anything you almost certainly have better ideas than ed in some aspects at least, because he occasionally has some insanely bad ideas on game design

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

ya mine owns. I sit really far from the TV and it docks perfect and doesnt scratch

its great

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

No wonder they are all sold out.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Hammer Bro. posted:

You can at least be sure that whatever you come up with won't have a gross aesthetic like Binding of Isaac does

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You can at least be sure that whatever you come up with won't have a gross aesthetic like Binding of Isaac does

yeah, it's a little weird because every interview i've seen with the dev makes it sound like he's got a lot of childhood trauma tied up in his games, especially BoI/Time Fcuk/Aether and I'm like "hunh, that's pretty interesting"

then I start up BoI and a crying naked child pisses on poop piles while dropping poop bombs and making fart noises and wonder if something didn't get lost in translation

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Feenix posted:

I'm trying to determine if I have Joycon issues... which one is it supposed to be that is bad? The one without the little window on it? (Blue?)

Nope

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What should I get next fam, Voez or Binding of Isaac. I have like every other game already except Setusna since I have no interest in it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BoI is incredible in handheld mode.

I play it in bed without my glasses on, because I'm blind as a bat, and it's become my regular nighttime pre-sleep game.

Gonna have to invest in one of those goose neck mounts eventually I think, but it feels so loving good in handheld mode with both joycons attached.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you're considering Voez, download the free version for your phone first to be sure you like it.

I did and it underwhelmed me. It's ok but it's not my thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can you use the pro controller gyro on the pc

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I like Voez more, having played the phone version of that and the PC version of Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anybody know if the GameStop restocks will be forced bundles or not? My brother talked to a GameStop employee in Dallas that said no but I really don't want to wait outside a GameStop and then have them tell me bundles only.

• Locked thread