Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
hahaha this is the best thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

hahaha this is the best thread
This thread sucks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

This thread sucks.

:eyepop: That username/post combo

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I said he's dismissive, uses strawman arguments, and paints people disagreeing with him as ideological opponents, and his response was to ignore most of what I said, focus on his reinterpretation of one thing I said, and start talking about how people who disagree with him retreat into alternate realities and conspiracy theories because of the unpleasant truths of his ideological leanings.

That's dope

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I said he's dismissive, uses strawman arguments, and paints people disagreeing with him as ideological opponents, and his response was to ignore most of what I said, focus on his reinterpretation of one thing I said, and start talking about how people who disagree with him retreat into alternate realities and conspiracy theories because of the unpleasant truths of his ideological leanings.

That's dope

Dude, you have 8 posts in this thread & 4 of them are about SMG. If you think he's purposefully being obtuse and hasn't actually proved anything you said wrong than don't argue with him. Ganbatte

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
That's fair.

edit: What is ganbatte?

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Get Out is very good film that follows the Second City / UCB Harold structure. The scenes with an unusual thing iteratively build up their idea until it's exhausted and then reset for the next sketch (but with a higher baseline then before). Each vignette stands on its own while gradually heightening the overall narrative. The subgames lie dormant until the conclusion, where each thread is intertwined with the final bit of plot to create a satisfying and coherent story.

This is why the "literalists" are so frustrated with the "subtexters": the hypothetical movie about Chris struggling to reject acceptance and assimilation by white liberals does not exist in the form that matters. Sure you can map the depicted events directly onto another story, just like anyone else in the thread could if they felt so inclined. But any "correct" interpretation is still just a list of analogies and vague descriptions. Execution and the realities of doing art are what makes the end product interesting. The better movie you're describing is contained in your Internet Critic head and doesn't stand as anything more than your opinion (which you are of course entitled to express). No one is going to pay $15 to read a page of your musings on a possible movie. You are the idea guys that know what the game or movie is actually saying and are willing to throw down with anyone else in lime at Gamestop.

As to why people don't like SMG:

Goons as a rule are not thrilled with self-important posters that barge into threads on the Something Awful Forums and present their opinions as Serious Business. Who then condescendingly insult their peers and proceed to manipulate the emotions and train-of-thought of the thread so as to keep things focused on themselves.

If SMG is a troll then he's a drat good one and that's that. If he is seriously tying to add to the discussion then it's a god drat miracle that he could gently caress it up so bad. Consider the number of Goons gleefully creating or paying for in-depth analysis of popular culture via blogs, podcasts, Youtube, Twitter, and so on; he manages to start with that valuable commodity and lower the overall Goon experience in the thread.

I like reading SMG's takes and would enjoy seeing new posts if they weren't dripping with disdain for people using mental models not calibrated precisely with his own.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:goonsay:

Do you honestly believe thematic content is out of reach for most viewers?

Analytic Engine posted:

Execution and the realities of doing art are what makes the end product interesting.

Oh.

You're also reading, like, a huge amount of animus into SMG's posts that frankly just isn't there. Don't mistake his concision for condescension.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He's concise but he's also amazingly unfriendly.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
And boring. There's that.

God, if this is what people mean when they say CD is a slobber farm to be avoided at all costs, I kind of understand now. Does this happen in every thread?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

That's dope

If you'd like more examples of where you went wrong, we can isolate your statement that ideological critique is tantamount to 'painting people as opponents'. That's an assertion that doesn't make sense unless you either don't believe in the concept of ideology, or, worse, you are actively working to depoliticize the antiracism thread.

Reminder: racism is an ideology. If you're not engaged in the critique of ideology, then you are not being critical of racism. At best, you fall into the trap of fighting racist people - private individuals. (Racist people are not racism.)

This brings this back to the true point of Get Out: the liberal protagonist cannot accept that liberalism is a racist ideology, so he must imagine that racist aspects of liberalism are actually caused by HYDRA - by bad people. If accepted uncritically, Get Out is equally as "progressive", therefore, as Disney's The Avengers - and slightly less so than Disney's Zootopia.

I did not ignore anything you wrote. It is simply unnecessary to respond line-by-line when this is the core of it. I am being precise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

elise the great posted:

God, if this is what people mean when they say CD is a slobber farm to be avoided at all costs, I kind of understand now. Does this happen in every thread?

A surprising amount of them.

Analytic Engine posted:

If SMG is a troll then he's a drat good one and that's that.

For me, that's my theory, he's the loving greatest troll this forum's ever seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elise the great posted:

And boring. There's that.

I don't read that many threads in this forum but this is the first one where I finally get the CD reputation. I usually find SMG's shtick funny and love the Transformers analysis threads, for what it's worth, but this poo poo is just insufferable.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if it's possible to truly describe the irony of people getting upset over someone criticizing the ideology of Get Out!, a movie praised for its ideological revelations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible to truly describe the irony of people getting upset over someone criticizing the ideology of Get Out!, a movie praised for its ideological revelations.

that's not really what irony is.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
edit: n/m, not going to participate anymore.

Did we see any actual conservative thinkpieces about this or was it just the typical right-wing troll reaction about reverse racism?

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 22, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

edit: n/m, not going to participate anymore.

Did we see any actual conservative thinkpieces about this or was it just the typical right-wing troll reaction about reverse racism?

This man isn't a "conservative" but it turns out you don't need to be one to be a critic:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/okaymuva-002-going-in-on-jordan-peele-get-out.html

"The film seems to be made inside of its own fear of white outrage and is afraid to name a truth that would have truly made it a radical, decolonizing work that caused discomfort and transformative conversation. As the credits rolled for Get Out, I asked myself once again, what was the purpose of this film? First and foremost, it is a capitalist move to revitalize the horror film genre in ways that coincide with an interest of a generation more concerned with social justice and white supremacy. We are a generation not as interested in ghosts and chainsaws, and Jordan Peele saw this vacancy and inserted it with what we really are interested in, in order to profit and perpetuate his stardom. Get Out is not a moment of social justice, it is a moment of a marketing / advertising / capitalistic observation and educated risk that has paid off."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's an entire other movie forum for y'all just FYI.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This man isn't a "conservative" but it turns out you don't need to be one to be a critic:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/okaymuva-002-going-in-on-jordan-peele-get-out.html

Sure, but I was asking if anyone had seen specific conservative critiques. Thank you for being condescending, though!

It's fascinating how deeply people read into Chris's relationship with Rose, immediately assuming that dating Rose is all about throwing away his black identity and getting access to white supremacy, or that Rose is meant to be a stand in for white supremacy itself (because, you know, individuals and institutions are totally the same). That review also conveniently ignores that Stephen Root's character addresses most of the poo poo he wished was in the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And that's not really the correct title of the movie either, when has the title ever been shown with an exclamation point, besides in the thread title? Did early posters have it?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

A movie praised for its ideological critique producing an audience unwilling to accept ideological critique is ironic, because contrary to what one excepts in an amusing way.

ruddiger posted:

And that's not really the correct title of the movie either, when has the title ever been shown with an exclamation point, besides in the thread title? Did early posters have it?

It's not really a great mystery.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

Sure, but I was asking if anyone had seen specific conservative critiques. Thank you for being condescending, though!

You're welcome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A movie praised for its ideological critique producing an audience unwilling to accept ideological critique is ironic, because contrary to what one excepts in an amusing way.

They're unwilling to accept a specific critique, so unless you find it ironic anytime anyone disagrees about something I'm not sure where you're going with that. Although I suppose you did say you weren't sure it was possible to describe.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

brutal

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Zizekian criticism is merely the symptom of a larger social illness, but that won't stop me from scooping your brain out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're unwilling to accept a specific critique

People specifically object to their joy being taken away and the "valuable commodity" of pop culture analysis being degraded, by criticism.

It is indeed hugely ironic that someone would complain about the discussion of racism and antiracism no longer being fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

People specifically object to their joy being taken away and the "valuable commodity" of pop culture analysis being degraded, by criticism.

It is indeed hugely ironic that someone would complain about the discussion of racism and antiracism no longer being fun.

i suppose it would be if any of that were true

That being said, if you're barging into the thread to say "discussing this movie shouldn't be fun," I don't know how well that'll go over. Even SMG has fun.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 22, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's just weird because this movie is very obviously about a specific thing and SMG etc's reading involves taking so many scenes drastically out of context in various ways based on the vaguest poo poo

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

^^ yes, and there are also more interesting and coherent ways to critique this movie than to say things like "this is just like Terminator 2;" but no no this is about being a baby who can't take criticism

:v:

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That being said, if you're barging into the thread to say "discussing this movie shouldn't be fun,"

You're imagining things, since I never said that discussing the movie shouldn't be fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're imagining things, since I never said that discussing the movie shouldn't be fun.

then why is wanting it to be fun unreasonable?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's not really a great mystery.

Goons getting basic facts wrong about movies? You're right, that's not a great mystery.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

it's just weird because this movie is very obviously about a specific thing

Which is the silly conspiracy-fantasy of racist white liberals wanting to snatch black bodies. For something hailed as such a masterstroke, it's actually so preposterous that reading it as a paranoid fantasy is more constructive. That article pointed out its inherent flaw pretty well:

"...once it is revealed that the girlfriend is complicit in the terrorization, it makes the film become an extreme mockery that white people can locate outside of themselves and never do any type of real, political survey of themselves and their practices and ideas."

For a movie that attacks white liberals, it seems to be welcomed by them wholeheartedly, since the conspiracy angle is so far removed from reality. Apparently it ultimately threatened no affluent white liberal whatsoever.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

then why is wanting it to be fun unreasonable?

It is funny, like I said. You're imagining some kind of demand or imperative at work where there are none.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

"...once it is revealed that the girlfriend is complicit in the terrorization, it makes the film become an extreme mockery that white people can locate outside of themselves and never do any type of real, political survey of themselves and their practices and ideas."

For a movie that attacks white liberals, it seems to be welcomed by them wholeheartedly, since the conspiracy angle is so far removed from reality. Apparently it ultimately threatened no affluent white liberal whatsoever.

This is the immediate line of attack Armond White takes and the most interesting, I feel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's an extremely unthreatening movie that white liberals are going to self-congratulatedly pat themselves on the back for appreciating.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It is funny, like I said. You're imagining some kind of demand or imperative at work where there are none.

It's not particularly funny is I guess where the confusion came from. Movie discussion should be fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Would you say it's like rain on your wedding day?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's an extremely unthreatening movie that white liberals are going to self-congratulatedly pat themselves on the back for appreciating.

What makes it interesting is the overidentificaiton with that point of view, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Would you say it's like rain on your wedding day?

More like a 40 degree day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean white liberals love Do The Right Thing too but I don't think it reflects poorly on that movie

• Locked thread