Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sapozhnik posted:

Blind encounter with Andromedon trip report: didn't even take a scratch :smug:

I even overwatched for a couple turns to make sure it didn't come back to life a second time

could have done that a lot more efficiently too since my assumption was that it was going to cause a gigantic AoE explosion on death

Tell the truth though, you had an "OH poo poo!" moment when you saw what Andromedon's did.

But yeah, they're basically a mixture of a heavily armored, acid-elemental Muton in behavior (with its grenades on cooldown instead of being a consumable) that become an acid-elemental Muton Berseker when you kill them. They're basically the one non-Advent instance of an alien being replaced by a bigger, burlier +1 version (or two aliens being replaced by a version that includes both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Umm... not really. The way they were hyped up I was expecting something apocalyptically powerful. They're a pretty cool unit though. Now Gatekeepers, those are terrifying. The game handles their introduction in an excellent way too: big metal death orb rolls up and the team back in the lab says "hmm, getting a lot of psionic readings from that one" -> oh gently caress it's going to cast Rift or something KILL IT KILL IT NOW

Out of all the enemies in the game I get by far the most grief from loving Codexes. I can't afford to dedicate flashbangs for every Codex I run into and they soak practically the entire team's actions when they show up. Of course they would be pretty trivial if you could oneshot them, which is why they always have enough HP that this isn't an option.

Really enjoyed most of the game's end run btw but the final room left a sour taste in my mouth. Avenger Defense accomplishes what that battle was going for much better.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

PS GOBLIN SHREDDER RUSH~

Wait a minute... this is Warcraft 3! Did we play together or something? I'm old and stupid and suffer from memory loss.

And yeah I restarted. So far its April, I have a region contacted, ADVENT strength is up to 5 in the home region, and I'm about to defend a relay since I'm trying too hard to gain intel. I have laser rifles. I've been rejecting every mission that doesn't give me an engineer, scientist, or resistance personnel. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it, but this game is going smoother than last time at least.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Node posted:

Wait a minute... this is Warcraft 3! Did we play together or something? I'm old and stupid and suffer from memory loss.

And yeah I restarted. So far its April, I have a region contacted, ADVENT strength is up to 5 in the home region, and I'm about to defend a relay since I'm trying too hard to gain intel. I have laser rifles. I've been rejecting every mission that doesn't give me an engineer, scientist, or resistance personnel. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it, but this game is going smoother than last time at least.

Yeah, we did! We had this really hilarious game where we decided we'd use Goblin Shredders as our main units and then we ended up facing a team who were solely massing Sorceresses and Banshees and couldn't do their main trick on us so we won. It was funny, haha.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did firaxis say anything about like if there was going to be a sorta terror from the deep style expansion, or is that something they're saving for a sequel?

e: Also, is this a sorta general "discuss xcom" thread or is it just for the reboot series? I couldn't find a thread for old xcom or openxcom when I checked with search, but I could have missed it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FirstAidKite posted:

Did firaxis say anything about like if there was going to be a sorta terror from the deep style expansion, or is that something they're saving for a sequel?

e: Also, is this a sorta general "discuss xcom" thread or is it just for the reboot series? I couldn't find a thread for old xcom or openxcom when I checked with search, but I could have missed it.

they've been very tightlipped so far. as for your other question, the rules sez:

Coolguye posted:

THREAD RULES:
- Talking about XCOM 1 is okay.
- Talking about XCOM 1 mods (like Long War) is okay.
- Talking about the technical aspects of modding XCOM 2 is okay.
- Talking about OpenXCOM is okay.
- Seriously, :justpost:. We are all friends in the XCOM thread.
- Please do not engage in zealotry either for or against your favorite or least favorite mod.
- Just be a reasonable, level-headed adult.
- So basically, no Junpeis.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
First off, sorry for the derail, XCOM thread. This jerk from 2003 still doesn't have platinum, so I can't PM him! I'll stop after this.

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, we did! We had this really hilarious game where we decided we'd use Goblin Shredders as our main units and then we ended up facing a team who were solely massing Sorceresses and Banshees and couldn't do their main trick on us so we won. It was funny, haha.

I remember some of that, it's amazing you do too. IF YOU HAD :siren::10bux: PLATINUM :10bux::siren: I'd ask if you saved any screenshots.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Haha, sorry, I'm cheap and lazy. And I sadly lack them. It was just a fun game was all, somewhat memorable and all whenever I think of Node :P

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I couldn't find answers in the guide, so here goes:

(Again, Long War 1.0 for Enemy Within:)

- What weapons are best to use? I get the diff between marksman and sniper rifle, and also somewhat between SAW and LMG, but I'm not sure I see the point of carbines and SMG. I guess they give a higher crit or whatever, but having to shoot a sectoid 2-3 times with a primary weapon seems pointless.

- How is MELD acquired? I understand alien corpses provide a fractional amount, but do I have to secure the canisters before I kill all the aliens? In regular EW I just got the canisters if I completed the mission before their timer ran out, but now I'm not sure.

- How on earth do I get satellites enough? Also, I'm getting requests from two different countries asking for a satellite, am I right to ignore them? I'm guessing I won't get the sat bonus if I give it to them via request, so I'd better keep it to myself, it's tough enough to get enough uplinks and sats to stay in the game as it is.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sapozhnik posted:

Out of all the enemies in the game I get by far the most grief from loving Codexes. I can't afford to dedicate flashbangs for every Codex I run into and they soak practically the entire team's actions when they show up. Of course they would be pretty trivial if you could oneshot them, which is why they always have enough HP that this isn't an option.

Plasma plus blue screen rounds can one shot them iirc, as can some good crits.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Shotgun crits are a good way to deal with them.

Alternatively, Faceoff is a good way to mop up the low-hp clones if you don't kill them the first time.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tias posted:

I couldn't find answers in the guide, so here goes:

(Again, Long War 1.0 for Enemy Within:)

- What weapons are best to use? I get the diff between marksman and sniper rifle, and also somewhat between SAW and LMG, but I'm not sure I see the point of carbines and SMG. I guess they give a higher crit or whatever, but having to shoot a sectoid 2-3 times with a primary weapon seems pointless.

- How is MELD acquired? I understand alien corpses provide a fractional amount, but do I have to secure the canisters before I kill all the aliens? In regular EW I just got the canisters if I completed the mission before their timer ran out, but now I'm not sure.

- How on earth do I get satellites enough? Also, I'm getting requests from two different countries asking for a satellite, am I right to ignore them? I'm guessing I won't get the sat bonus if I give it to them via request, so I'd better keep it to myself, it's tough enough to get enough uplinks and sats to stay in the game as it is.

I'm doing a playthrough of Long War at the moment so I will try to answer. I'm pretty rusty though.

1. Carbines give you an aim boost as well as +1 Mobility so you can move a bit faster. It useful for troops with lower aim or you want them to move a bit quicker. I like them with Medics and Scouts myself as the mobility and aim is good. That said, you don't want too many as the damage dropoff can be rough. SMGs are for lots of mobility (+3). I'm not a huge fan but I've used them with Rocketeers before to help them hustle into better places. I usually slap a carbine on them to be honest but it has a place.

2. Meld is acquired by moving up the map quickly, putting a soldier next to a canister and clicking it before it deactivates. They will turn off after a bit of time so they incentive you to get moving and not just hang back, waiting in overwatch and so forth. I don't sweat it too much in the early game but it becomes a valuable resource later on.

3. Too be honest, I may be off here but I really don't worry about Satellite requests all that much. I build an extra uplink and get three satellites up pretty quick and then go at my own pace. I ignore the requests by and large but I do check them before I expand just for planning sake.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do Long War 2 supply convoy missions purposely have really small infiltration timers or am I just getting really unlucky? The most I see is three days, which is already above the infiltration time for one soldier.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Node posted:

Do Long War 2 supply convoy missions purposely have really small infiltration timers or am I just getting really unlucky? The most I see is three days, which is already above the infiltration time for one soldier.

I don't think I've ever had above 3-4days ever on a supply raid.

Supply raids you want to bring max soldiers. Snipers really shine and take at least one shinobi so you can slowly reveal the pods. Gunners rule, technicals/grenadiers as well.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 20, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just go in at 0%. You get more corpses that way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, those supply line raid missions are meant to be kinda hard to find. If you can't get them to spawn with 5+ days, just 0day Swarming 10man 'em. You get a shitload of corpses that way.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Don't get too used to easy 0% raids. They're on the chopping block nerfwise. To counteract this, I've added troop columns, supply raids, and landed ufos to the non-infiltration category in the ini settings. Pavonis wants to nerf them because they're relatively low risk for such huge rewards and you get dumb poo poo like gsgts in June.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Gaaaaaaaaaah. I'm so infested with Faceless. I have 4 regions at the beginning of May, 3 of them are at 13 with 3 or 4 extra rebels in reserve hiding, and I just lost over 200 supplies out of 300 I made last month. I sometimes wish Rendezvous were MORE common.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And every Rendezvous is 2 Faceless. God damnit. I can't even be sure a region is free because there's a good chance the minimum number of Faceless before a twofer Rendezvous was 3!~

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
ADVENT just attacked one of my recruiting teams (I can't get rebels by infiltrating since their small number gives such low infiltration times) and had to evac three of my remaining resistance personnel. All XCOM operatives and resistance members successfully evacced, but now my Haven is down to one person. What the hell, Long War?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Haven't heard that one before. I know those recruitment mini-retals are a pain in the rear end, though. I'm guessing the thing counts the mission as failed and resistance personnel as killed if you evac. You have to fight to save them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

Haven't heard that one before. I know those recruitment mini-retals are a pain in the rear end, though. I'm guessing the thing counts the mission as failed and resistance personnel as killed if you evac. You have to fight to save them.

The mission specifically tells you to evac the personnel first at the evac point across the map, then to wait for a secondary evac for XCOM. I did both those things. Everything was checkmarked green.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, well, god damnit, then. That's gotta be a bug, then. If you have a save from during the mission, you should report it on the Pavonis Forums in the bug reporting subforum for LW2. It'd likely get addressed, or looked into more closely, by the Pavonis team. They're very good about that stuff, it seems.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a way to add them back in by editing something or using a cheat? It's either that or just uninstall/ragequit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep! Got the console enabled? If not, add -allowconsole to your launcher settings in Steam or the XCOM2 Alternative Mod Launcher. Then it's LWAddRebel (true/false for Faceless, I imagine we want false) (WorldRegion)

Then the Regions:
WorldRegion_EastNA
WorldRegion_WestNA
WorldRegion_SouthNA
WorldRegion_NorthSA
WorldRegion_SouthSA
WorldRegion_WestEU
WorldRegion_EastEU
WorldRegion_NorthAF
WorldRegion_EastAF
WorldRegion_SouthAF
WorldRegion_EastAS
WorldRegion_WestAS
WorldRegion_NorthAS
WorldRegion_SouthAS
WorldRegion_NorthOC
WorldRegion_SouthOC

After that, you may wanna level a few of 'em up: LWLevelUpRebel (Soldier Name)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
A supply retaliation had about 45 ADVENT, two of the waves being a double spawn. I couldn't handle it. I enabled PowerUp, used my infinite actions to kill every alien with Hulk, and then disabled it - except that crashed the game. I think my only choices are playing on easy, or dishonorable seppuku after uninstallation. And I'll probably pick the second one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

(EW Long War 1.0 - ) When do I get to build MEC or gene troopers? Seems to me the tech tree is a lot longer, now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tias posted:

(EW Long War 1.0 - ) When do I get to build MEC or gene troopers? Seems to me the tech tree is a lot longer, now.

You can get gene mods pretty much right off the bat if you want to, I think (it's down the xenobiology branch). Mecs are much later, further down the same branch and also requiring alien materials and alien computers. Psi, on the other hand, is available much earlier. LW1 basically tries to offer a lot of valid paths for research; you can focus on researching better weapons, or better air game, or psionics or mechs, etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks!

How about interceptors? I feel like I should keep all my interceptors in one country, just so I have a( small) chance of taking down larger UFOs.

Is there any point to even having interceptors in regions you don't have satellites in?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Of course, the flip side of MECs being hard to get in LW1 is that they eventually just loving wreck everything.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tias posted:

Thanks!

How about interceptors? I feel like I should keep all my interceptors in one country, just so I have a( small) chance of taking down larger UFOs.

Is there any point to even having interceptors in regions you don't have satellites in?

Interceptors in a region you don't have satellites in have a small chance to detect UFOs there. The rationale is that they fly patrols or something. However, generally money is tight enough that you want to concentrate on defending the regions you have satellites in (and the satellites themselves, which the aliens will try to shoot down).

However, there is one reason to move interceptors off, and that's that it takes a long time to repair them and you only have 6 slots per region. If you have extra interceptors you can move damaged ones out to repair and bring in intact ones, which can be quite important early on when your interceptors suck.

Speaking of, I'd highly suggest not going after anything larger than a medium (and even mediums will likely take a lot of interceptors to bring down). Not only are you very unlikely to shoot them down, but they'll really tear up your interceptors and leave you unable to shoot down smaller UFOs later.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Anyone know how I could change the pistols to being both weightless and mass producible?

I wanna try a campaign with them. Probably get some use of their awc perks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tias posted:

Thanks!

The best use I found in LW1 for interceptors was to just move them to a new continent when they got damaged and buy a new one on your starting continent. This ensures coverage, gives you spares to move around, and means that when you're finally able to start launching satellites over the new continent you've already got air cover. Bonus, every once in a long while you'll get a free UFO shootdown from the interceptors detecting the UFO.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Backhand posted:

Of course, the flip side of MECs being hard to get in LW1 is that they eventually just loving wreck everything.

Eh, some of them are really good and some are pretty poo poo.

Goliaths, for instance, got nerfed so much by their hatred of MEC tankiness that they're worse tanks than Gunner/Assault bio-tanks and they literally have nothing else going for them

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Apoplexy posted:

This sounds amazing and the lack of Warcraft 4 14 years later still makes me sad and is the #1 reason I hate WoW these days

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dongicus posted:

Anyone know how I could change the pistols to being both weightless and mass producible?

I wanna try a campaign with them. Probably get some use of their awc perks.

XComLW_Overhaul.ini, Lines 416, 423, 430, 437. (search for LWPistol_LS) Infinite=false, buildable=true, weight=1, change all 3, good to go.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

:rip:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
wait... what

If it was just a recreation of her face/name, but... she has the rank... WAT... and those days served... WAT

Also, I don't know how to feel about this. I found a non-hero version of Van Doorn available in a character-pack, so I threw him into mine... first scan-site of a new campaign, offers an Engineer. It's Van Doorn.

Van Doorn is my first Engineer.

Van Doorn is an Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

wait... what

If it was just a recreation of her face/name, but... she has the rank... WAT... and those days served... WAT

It's really her. kind of. There's a glitch in the Towers mission, where if she dies on overwatch running to a lift pad, the mission doesn't end.

Saw this proven on an XCOM stream today: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/130423725, go to 2:27 in. That's where the screenshot comes from.