Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first one had some side quests with outcast biotic terrorists, didn't it?

There are three I know of. The biotic cult leader (Major Kyle), the ship with the biotic extremists holding some negotiator (Kaidan has some special dialogue), and the biotic terrorists holed up in a base that you only get if you are going Paragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I like how they managed to gently caress up the multiplayer so badly it makes me want to gomplay more destiny PvP

And I hated the destiny pvp

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How long till this is $20?

Seems like the right price because it should be all patched up by then. But still have boring characters and story.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

rio posted:

I might even be tempted to say that it is a GOOD GAME.

:catstare:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Frabba posted:

Same, though the line beforehand helped set the table for me. I actually saved the clip because I ~really~ enjoyed Ryder in this scene.

Significant spoilers are contained within. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYRGalTCFyg

The way he gets in the other guys face while quietly saying how he's going to gently caress their poo poo up is as good as any Renegade scene in the original trilogy, imo.

I found the animation suuuuper distracting, watching this. It really hurts my immersion, even if the voice acting is on point.

Plus... Action Only Liners only really work if they're relevant to the current situation.

:doom: "I thank you, too. I see you begi-"
:downsgun: *KAPOW* "Not likely."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Waltzing Along posted:

How long till this is $20?

Seems like the right price because it should be all patched up by then. But still have boring characters and story.

Titanfall 2 has already been pretty steeply discounted in sales. Probably won't take too long, but the smarter money is waiting a year or so for the edition with all the DLC.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

1stGear posted:

Titanfall 2 has already been pretty steeply discounted in sales. Probably won't take too long, but the smarter money is waiting a year or so for the edition with all the DLC.

Titanfall 2 sold pretty badly despite being the best shooter after Doom of 2016, that's the main reason why you could get it for under 30 dollar not a month after release.
Mass Effect: Andromeda has still more than enough pull that even with middling reviews it will sell well enough I think to push this point out a bit further. Although you can already get it for 43 (and I assume it's a similar price for dollars) for PC from keysellers.

Both TF 2 and MEA share one fate though: They would have been far better received if they had a different launch date. TF 2 outside of the two big shooter franchises releasing and MEA before Zelda and HZD showed how really outstanding OW-RPG-light games can look like.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Clawtopsy posted:

I found the animation suuuuper distracting, watching this. It really hurts my immersion, even if the voice acting is on point.

Plus... Action Only Liners only really work if they're relevant to the current situation.

:doom: "I thank you, too. I see you begi-"
:downsgun: *KAPOW* "Not likely."

Drack's shotgun glitching through his head for the latter part of the cutscene made me laugh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Either the lead devs were aware of what was going on and literally crying themselves to sleep every night, or everyone at that studio just loving is an awful human being with zero sense of pride.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Spacebump posted:

Where do I find more Milky Way Research Data?

The easy way is to spend AVP on the first set of scientists, who will dump 100 Milky Way research data on you every hour or so.

Vanderdeath posted:

Wouldn't that couch technically be over 600 years old? I mean, it looks it

Liam pulled some strings to get the couch out of stasis early.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Frabba posted:

Same, though the line beforehand helped set the table for me. I actually saved the clip because I ~really~ enjoyed Ryder in this scene.

Significant spoilers are contained within. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYRGalTCFyg

The way he gets in the other guys face while quietly saying how he's going to gently caress their poo poo up is as good as any Renegade scene in the original trilogy, imo.
Wait, where was the annoying self-aware dig that knocks you out of the experience? The stupid Joss-Whedon verbal fluff?

He can't just say "I'm gonna gently caress you up!" he has to say "You're the bad man and I'm the good man, so I'm gonna shoot you with my bullets and make you dead now!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What shotgun do you guys recommend for a Vanguard? There are so many guns to choose from it's hard to pick.

Also I found it funny how(Havarl spoilers) you go meet the sages, and they're clear they really don't like you being there, yet you immediately put down a Forward Station in their sanctuary.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm having fun exploring, blowing up Kett/fauna/bandits and restoring planets. I'm not expecting it to coalesce into a cohesive, compelling, nuanced narrative. Helps that I recently had Horizon and Nier Automata for that, and that I've kept my expectations low for ME:A.

Drifter posted:

Either the lead devs were aware of what was going on and literally crying themselves to sleep every night, or everyone at that studio just loving is an awful human being with zero sense of pride.

Yeah, I'm thinking the theory of forced restart(s) is the most likely. poo poo, CDPR had to scale back some of the visuals from the first screenshots of The Witcher III, since (according to the devs at least) they were from a vertical slice and the effects were causing performance issues when it was converted to open world. This whole thing's worth a proper investigative story.

*edit -

RatHat posted:

What shotgun do you guys recommend for a Vanguard? There are so many guns to choose from it's hard to pick.

Liking the Crusader, but I Charge/melee a lot more due to skill and gear bonuses (damage, cooldown, etc.). Provided you've got the weight capacity, a good sniper rifle like a Black Widow is helpful for picking off a few targets before charging in (and for variety).

isk fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 23, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/844647606617886721

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One day Sonic Chronicles will be redeemed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

isk posted:

Liking the Crusader, but I Charge/melee a lot more due to skill and gear bonuses (damage, cooldown, etc.). Provided you've got the weight capacity, a good sniper rifle like a Black Widow is helpful for picking off a few targets before charging in (and for variety).

What melee weapon are you using? I made the Asari sword and while it's really strong it's also slow which doesn't help when you're vulnerable after a charge.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RatHat posted:

What melee weapon are you using? I made the Asari sword and while it's really strong it's also slow which doesn't help when you're vulnerable after a charge.

Have you tried the Remnant ice gauntlet? Low damage, but freezing enemies on hit really is very useful.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh the Dhan looks like a cool shotgun. It's basically a crossbow(single projectile with an arc).

Decius posted:

Have you tried the Remnant ice gauntlet? Low damage, but freezing enemies on hit really is very useful.

Enemies are usually near dead after a charge, melee is just to finish them off. Not much use freezing them.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RatHat posted:

Asari Sword, yeah. The blink's useful.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

RatHat posted:

Oh the Dhan looks like a cool shotgun. It's basically a crossbow(single projectile with an arc).

Yeah, the Dhan is awesome.
Only two shots, but combine it with the augmentation that refills part of your shields at the end of each clip = maximum Vanguard :black101:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How fast does the Krogan hammer swing?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So whats the consensus on this game? Is it good enough to spend the time playing it? Or should people pass on it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's lacking serious polish in some areas but I like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

So whats the consensus on this game? Is it good enough to spend the time playing it? Or should people pass on it?
it's a decent third person shooter with some really tedious side stuff and writing that wouldn't pass grade on a syfy original movie

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ChocNitty posted:

It's the direct-to-DVD sequel to Mass Effect 1-3, but it's still Mass Effect, only worse in nearly every way. If you like Mass Effect or Space Opera it's hard to find an alternative. There is fun hidden below a lot of tedium and many annoyances.

Shaky 7/10 with all the technical issues, solid 7/10 once they fix that poo poo.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ChocNitty posted:

It's good. About an 8/10 type of game. It doesn't have good animations, about on par with previous ME titles... and you'll either find the busywork on the planets acceptable or boring. The combat is good but could be even better with clearer feedback. The new crew is good imo, all the aliens so far are great. The story? I dunno man, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface yet. I'm still in "gotta explore worlds for reasons" mode. The Kett haven't done much so far and I've just met the Angara and I'm about to explore another vault. The first vault was amazing.

[edit] Oh and the writing is on par with previous ME titles, with a few mind boggling dips below (face tired lady). The people who say it's worse can't possibly have played the previous ME games because the dialogue from a writing perspective was never the games strong points. It's always been cheap sci-fi opera trash

The literally hundreds of people giving the game a 0 and moaning about Anita Sarkeesian or whatever on metacritic are insane

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 23, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the previous mass effect games were b-grade sci-fi writing. yeah it wasn't good, but i'd say it was better. part of it is an issue with how this game is edited and cut, there's a lot of places where an extra beat or a quick cut would have made the dialogue actually flow instead of sounding like the character is rambling or talking to themselves.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

rio posted:

I just finished the Eos dungeon and am doing the whole talking bit - just talked to the forthcoming trans girl. Anyway, if the game keeps up like this I will enjoy it and am liking most of it so far. I might even be tempted to say that it is a GOOD GAME. The people look pretty bad even on ultra and I really, really hope they add quality of life improvements like making the scanning dead time skippable though.

Edit: I am playing infiltrator and wishing there were more cool things to do as one.

Edit again. I found a cool bug. I was exploring through a level 3 zone on Eos to get to a dad memory and just before the rover was about to explode I got out and grabbed the memory. It auto saved and I thought I was hosed. I got back in, it exploded and I reloaded and the radiation was down to level 1 even though it still had the quest text to get back to a safe area so I could go explore the previously level 3 radiation area with no repercussions.

I really feel like they nerfed infiltrator in this one. Not in terms of power but just in fun. It was fine in 1, good in 2, and great in 3 with the addition of the heavy melee kill out of tactical cloak. But in this one, especially with the removal of the heavy melee, it just feels kind of bland and lifeless.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm being insufferable but Alliance HQ was Arcturus station (in Arcturus), not Vancouver on Earth.
:goonsay:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Why is there the need to dismiss Mass Effect 1-3 now that MEA turned out to be not really that great? Not only here, but often when people try to find something positive in MEA they apparently have to do it on expense of ME in general, assuring everyone that wasn't that great a story/gameplay/writing to begin with and it's just as bad, but with more jank. Like that makes it somehow better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Decius posted:

Why is there the need to dismiss Mass Effect 1-3 now that MEA turned out to be not really that great? Not only here, but often when people try to find something positive in MEA they apparently have to do it on expense of ME in general, assuring everyone that wasn't that great a story/gameplay/writing to begin with and it's just as bad, but with more jank. Like that makes it somehow better?

they dont have enough confidence in their opinion to just say 'i think this is good' so instead they have to say 'the thing you think is good is as bad as you're saying this is'

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xmaspast posted:

I really feel like they nerfed infiltrator in this one. Not in terms of power but just in fun. It was fine in 1, good in 2, and great in 3 with the addition of the heavy melee kill out of tactical cloak. But in this one, especially with the removal of the heavy melee, it just feels kind of bland and lifeless.

I think it's mostly that Infiltrator is much more well suited to tightly designed encounters and set pieces than open world gameplay. The original trilogy had almost exclusively the former, Andromeda has a lot of the latter. Infiltrator still does quite well in MP for this reason.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Endorph posted:

they dont have enough confidence in their opinion to just say 'i think this is good' so instead they have to say 'the thing you think is good is as bad as you're saying this is'

It's actually because people want comparisons to previous games

shocking right

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

Andromeda is a good but flawed game.

Should have taken more time with it but oh well. It will be a bunch of fun between now and Persona 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zzulu posted:

It's actually because people want comparisons to previous games

shocking right

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zzulu posted:

It's good. About an 8/10 type of game.

Decius posted:

Shaky 7/10 with all the technical issues, solid 7/10 once they fix that poo poo.

Please stop grading things on a ten point scale if "entirely average-to-bad" is a 7

Thanks

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Vanguard profile bugged? I don't seem to be getting any shield restoration when I melee.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
You get shield restoration when you charge; unless you're talking single-player...then I dunno.

----

Putting aside the drunk dancing animations in the background, why in the gently caress am I in a nightclub...not playing Poker with Gil? I can't be that hard to program a rudimentary poker game.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Please stop grading things on a ten point scale if "entirely average-to-bad" is a 7

Thanks

Yeah, without commenting on mass effect andromeda itself, decent games with numerous problems shouldn't ever really rank above a 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm being insufferable but Alliance HQ was Arcturus station (in Arcturus), not Vancouver on Earth.
:goonsay:

What was the organization in the opening in ME3 with all the VIPs then? Honest question, all I know is I saw Reapers destroy my neighbourhood.