Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Give me my Outbreak Files #1/#2 with working online, Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SettingSun posted:

:yeah:

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
Also if they could finally get around to sorting PS1 emulation so I can play 2 and 3 again that'd be swell.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

give me them sweet sweet reduced load times

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
I wonder if it will be the original Code Veronica and not Code Veronica X? I mean, I love Wesker hamming it up with Alexia but I want both options.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Blight Runner posted:

I wonder if it will be the original Code Veronica and not Code Veronica X? I mean, I love Wesker hamming it up with Alexia but I want both options.

I super super doubt it, it'll be a port of the already existing HD versions and IIRC those are all Code Veronica X.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This re-release will probably look pretty rough. The version I just played was the ps3 remaster and upping the resolution didn't do a lot for the game. The 3d environments don't hold up as well as the beautified stills in REmake or Zero.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

It's me. I am one of the goons that will rebuy code Veronica and revelations 1.

Throw Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles in there as well.

Maybe with proper mouse support I could actually hit things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SettingSun posted:

loving seriously I love those games.

I finally got it set up so I could connect to the fan server that somebody set up (bit of a pain to connect to the first time) and then there's nobody playing :negative:

We should do a goon run...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The complete RE game sale was only on monday.

I want to cry now.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Alteisen posted:

The complete RE game sale was only on monday.

I want to cry now.

It looks like it was an price mistake. They discounted the already-discounted discounted price. It's still around, but $52 now.

Wish I had nabbed it too, but I thought it was going to be around all week.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jolo posted:

This re-release will probably look pretty rough. The version I just played was the ps3 remaster and upping the resolution didn't do a lot for the game. The 3d environments don't hold up as well as the beautified stills in REmake or Zero.

Yeah the textures didn't look great. The odd thing about the HD remaster though is that they actually ported Code Veronica's assets into an entirely different engine. With that they also added a lot of dynamic lighting. So where the Dreamcast, PS2 and Gamecube versions were very foggy and kinda bright, the HD remaster made the fog much darker and the whole game much darker with dynamic lighting. Which made me wonder why if they're going to the effort of porting the game to a new engine, they didn't touch up some of the textures a bit but oh well.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsMpq8FeJA

Part 1 of the Making of Resident Evil 7.

Some cool information in there about stuff that was considered for the game and specific inspirations from the team. I think it's really interesting to read that the Director worked on RE5 and Revelations 1 considering how different they are tonally from one another and with RE7.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nothing on a PC release? Bastards. It's the only mainline game I don't (officially) have on PC and this missing entry is eating away at me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As I recall Capcom had insinuated they were going to do an RE2 remake, maybe even in the style of the REmake, but I've heard nothing about it for awhile, so I wonder if that was just a rumor. Has there been any rumblings on that front?

I'd really love to see Raccoon City rendered in the RE7 engine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah we still know absolutely nothing about it other than it's apparently happening.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE2 remake will meet the same fate as Scalebound. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm imagining it will come out and be a really low effort cash grab, maybe with some new character models and reformatted to widescreen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think when that video was released announcing it in August 2015 they had literally not started working on it at all - no concept art, no hiring, no teams, no writing, nothing - since apparently Capcom just wasn't sure that people wanted a better version of the second best original game in the franchise (7 wasn't out yet). So depending on how big the remake actually turns out to be (and actually comes through) I wouldn't expect anything solid for most of 2017 at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alteisen posted:

Nah they actually showed some stuff from Scalebound

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alteisen posted:

A thrice-restarted leftovers project funded as a "me too!" gesture from Microsoft which was then tampered with to the point that Platinum and Microsoft are no longer on the same page and they wash their hands of the project?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, this kind of thing takes time. A RE2-make is essentially a brand new game from the ground up, and if they only started any kind of actual production in late 2015, it'd be a mild miracle if they were so much as in the pre-alpha now, particularly since RE7 seems to have been an all-hands-on-deck situation.

I'm just annoyed by the sure knowledge that they'll be shafting Alyson Court again.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
REVII is on sale on steam right now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is umbrella corps worth $7 on flash sale?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No. It really is a terrible game at any price.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Is umbrella corps worth $7 on flash sale?

I've been looking at it, but apparently it still used GFWL for the multiplayer, so it all depends if the single player campaign has any value at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

I've been looking at it, but apparently it still used GFWL for the multiplayer, so it all depends if the single player campaign has any value at all.

If you cant play it in multiplayer toss that straight into the trash bin. If you can, its quite fun. You can kill Leon.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

No. It really is a terrible game at any price.

I heard it was bad but truly that bad?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vakal posted:

Barudak posted:

If you cant play it in multiplayer toss that straight into the trash bin. If you can, its quite fun. You can kill Leon.

You guys are getting confused with Operation Raccoon, an equally terrible multiplayer focused game. Don't spend any money on it or Umbrella Corps, please.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ORC at least is playable. Umbrella Corps has nice ideas but is just poo poo and relatively unplayable.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm really hating the trial-and-error boss fights of RE7. It usually takes at least one round to observe the arena and figure out what I need to do, then I die trying to do it because it took me so long to piece together. Then another round to figure out the most efficient path to do all the things. Then another round of trying to do it all quickly enough that I don't get killed in the meantime. By the time I get the flow of the fight down to a science and win I don't feel like I've accomplished anything and rather just feel relieved that that bullshit is done with.

The fights are very cinematic, which is kind of cool. And It's nice to have a game where beating the boss isn't just "Shoot it 'til it dies." But all the contextual garbage you have to wade through to figure out the puzzle to end the fight and constant restarting is more frustrating than fun.

Rest of the game is baller though.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

I'm really hating the trial-and-error boss fights of RE7. It usually takes at least one round to observe the arena and figure out what I need to do, then I die trying to do it because it took me so long to piece together. Then another round to figure out the most efficient path to do all the things. Then another round of trying to do it all quickly enough that I don't get killed in the meantime. By the time I get the flow of the fight down to a science and win I don't feel like I've accomplished anything and rather just feel relieved that that bullshit is done with.

The fights are very cinematic, which is kind of cool. And It's nice to have a game where beating the boss isn't just "Shoot it 'til it dies." But all the contextual garbage you have to wade through to figure out the puzzle to end the fight and constant restarting is more frustrating than fun.

Rest of the game is baller though.
The only trial-and-error is the Jack encounter in the garage though? The rest are pretty straight forward to me.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Esroc posted:

And It's nice to have a game where beating the boss isn't just "Shoot it 'til it dies."

I'm confused because every boss encounter except one is like this. And this is actually a problem because it feedbacks exceptionally poorly on if the solution is to just shoot the bad guy more (it almost always is) and then subsequently red-herrings you into hunting around for a different solution when one doesn't exist when they're actually just damage races that go on for just slightly long enough to make you second guess yourself on the nature of the fight.

I don't really like the boss fights in RE7 either but we seem to have opposite complaints.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Boss fights should favor those who've stocked up on resources and making full use of them, being too contextual and gimmicky is pretty boring and unsatisfying. Which is why I enjoyed the Marguerite and Lucas fight the most.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Little Bitch Man posted:

Boss fights should favor those who've stocked up on resources and making full use of them, being too contextual and gimmicky is pretty boring and unsatisfying. Which is why I enjoyed the Marguerite and Lucas fight the most.

There was a Lucas fight?

do you mean the third jack fight because that's Jack, not Lucas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Little Bitch Man posted:

I don't think anybody is arguing against that. The issue RE7 has is that with the exception of one boss, none of them even react to taking damage besides getting a blood splatter on them (and Marguerite doesn't even get stumbled by being shot), so it's hard to tell how much you've actually hurt them.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

There was a Lucas fight?

do you mean the third jack fight because that's Jack, not Lucas.
I thought it was a combination of both of them, my bad.

Personally, I find the splatter of shotgunning these two bosses to be adequate enough for me.

Erika fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'd be nice to have some metric to judge how close the fight is to being over a la the final Jack fight. Marguerite goes from 100% alive to 100% dead in the last shot it takes with no indication that you are at that point. Bringing out the big guns feels just as effective as plunking away with the pistol to me even though they aren't damage-wise, because they yield the same response. I get it, not having a big ol health bar adds to the uncertainty and such, but it doesn't have to be something that opaque. Make Jack reassemble himself a little bit wrong in the second phase of the basement fight, make the bug-gina drip more grossness in the Marguerite fight, give me something to show that what I'm doing is effective.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 25, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I thought all of the boss fights sucked and in general combat sucked, RE7 was a much better spooky game than a shooty game and that reflected in every aspect. RE fights imho should be puzzles in themselves requiring some clever thinking, traps, or should be a mad hurried rush against an eldritch tentacle monster, which is why I think RE5 has the best boss fights in the whole series. Especially screw the garage fight in RE7 which just makes no sense as to how you "win" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My experience with puzzle bosses is that they're interesting the first time and then never again.