Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Seamonster posted:

It is correct to disparage Lenovo for their poo poo GPU choices in the T series. It is literally the reason I'm typing this post on an (older model) XPS 15 right now.

For me personally, installing root kits to spoof SSL certificates is enough for me. I know it's been a few years, but I still shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tsyni posted:

Can someone tell me the difference between this:

http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=13475182#!tab=specs

and this

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1EL96UA&opt=ABL&sel=NTB

?

The second one has 8gb of ram, compared to 16gb in the first one, and the first one is a tiny bit heavier...but Amazon says the second one is a newer version, but I can't figure out why.

Yea, doesn't seem like it's much different at all

First one - http://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c05324060

Second one - http://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib-en/product/hp-spectre-13-ac000-x360-convertible-pc/14039877/document/c05411220/

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Ynglaur posted:

Razer, Alienware, Aorus (Gigabyte's 'premier' line) and MSI all have 13" laptops with 1060s. Alienware is closer to a 14" in terms of actual size, and none have the thin bezels of the XPS 13.

After that, Gigabyte has the 14" model mentioned above.

After that, it's all 15.4" and up.

Schenker (Germany company) is coming out with a i7-7700 14" gaming laptop that has a 1050Ti, too. I think it's called the XMG P407.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

XPS 15 looks good. Might go into a store to play around with one. You guys suggest microsoft store for the signature versions or straight from dell to buy? I like the specs on these other laptops you guys are suggesting specially ones with 1060 but I'm worried about battery life and it just looking too "gamer."

I'll take a look at the razer blade. Any of the other ones look professional? I'm also looking at those CLEVO laptops. I think there is a company in Canada called EUROCOM that sells those custom build laptops I might check out.

edit: is a new microsoft surface laptop coming out soon? XPS 15 seems pretty awesome though

Housh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 21, 2017

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
Amazon has a one day deal going for the MSI GL62M 7RE-407. It looks decent, but is there some glaring flaw that I am missing?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DEUSFORORUM posted:

Amazon has a one day deal going for the MSI GL62M 7RE-407. It looks decent, but is there some glaring flaw that I am missing?

Other than the fact that the $150 you're 'saving' will be eventually negated by 1) buying a second 8GB DIMM ($50) and 2) a larger SSD when 256GB proves too small (~$120 for a 500-512GB)?

Even though it's more expensive, this is honestly the best deal I've seen: http://www.microcenter.com/product/475571/Aspire_VX_15_VX5-591G-76BV_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Shale_Black

i7, 16GB, 4GB 1050Ti, 512GB SSD by default (and the slot is NVMe capable with a recent BIOS update), and an IPS screen. Only downside is it's plastic construction.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 21, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well and the fact that it might be one of the most hideous laptops I've ever seen

admittedly great specs for the price though

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The VX15's screen got utterly thrashed in most of the reviews I saw, but it was unclear if that was in reference to the IPS as well as the base model... I'm guessing no?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

The VX15's screen got utterly thrashed in most of the reviews I saw, but it was unclear if that was in reference to the IPS as well as the base model... I'm guessing no?

Supposedly the review models they sent out used TN screens for some inexplicable reason, but the retail models evidently use IPS. That being said, Acer has a history of sourcing merely average IPS panels merely to include them as a selling point, but I'd still take an average/mediocre IPS over a laptop TN screen.

That being said, evidently the Gigabyte Sabre 15 will launch for "under $1000" (though that seems to imply using a 1050, not a 1050Ti) and not look as 'gamey' - http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/gigabyte-sabre-15-price-specs

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 21, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CongoJack posted:

I need to find a solid laptop laptop for my nephew before he heads off to college. He's going to go to school for engineering so it has to be decent at computing and last for the next four years. Budget is ~1000 but I can definitely be convinced to spend more if it makes sense and is worth it.

The ThinkPad T570 is what I would recommend. A lot of places give discounts for students as well. Plenty of ports for movie nights, music, what have you. Easy to fix and durable in the first place.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

NewFatMike posted:

The ThinkPad T570 is what I would recommend. A lot of places give discounts for students as well. Plenty of ports for movie nights, music, what have you. Easy to fix and durable in the first place.

I cant find a 570 for sale on Lenovo's website, are they available to purchase yet?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

edit: nvm

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 22, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CongoJack posted:

I cant find a 570 for sale on Lenovo's website, are they available to purchase yet?

I'm in China ATM so I'm only seeing the Hong Kong website and they're available there, sorry I'm not much help.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
My friend is long overdue for a new laptop. His budget tops out at $500 and he mainly needs it for doing a little bit of spreadsheet work and word processing, everything else he does on his phone. He's not averse to tablets. A 13" screen would be about right, maybe a little bigger.

Obviously I should be finding him a good Chromebook, but he wants/needs iTunes. Any suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

wants/needs iTunes

Satan?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Doom Mathematic posted:

My friend is long overdue for a new laptop. His budget tops out at $500 and he mainly needs it for doing a little bit of spreadsheet work and word processing, everything else he does on his phone. He's not averse to tablets. A 13" screen would be about right, maybe a little bigger.

Obviously I should be finding him a good Chromebook, but he wants/needs iTunes. Any suggestions?

Second hand Thinkpad (X220, T420 etc) maybe if he doesn't worry too much about what it looks like / how thin it is? Built like a tank, nice keyboards for that word processing, costs next to nothing (would say about 200 of your dollar things), performs just as well as a 2017 machine for that kind of work (if fitted with an SSD, otherwise close enough)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My friend is looking for a laptop, and I was hoping you guys might have some suggestions. She's looking for the following:

Screen: 15.6" or less (assuming it needs to be IPS, since she works with digital art)
RAM: 16gb
HD: Must have SSD (she has an external for her files)
Budget: Up to $1500 USD

She wants to use it for Photoshop (2D work mostly) and being able to stream her art to twitch. She already has a desktop for when she's at home, so this is for when she's on travelling and needs to keep working.

Having glanced through the last couple of pages it looked like the XPS 15 might be a decent choice, but I was curious if there were some other machines she should consider.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Nemo2342 posted:

My friend is looking for a laptop, and I was hoping you guys might have some suggestions. She's looking for the following:

Screen: 15.6" or less (assuming it needs to be IPS, since she works with digital art)
RAM: 16gb
HD: Must have SSD (she has an external for her files)
Budget: Up to $1500 USD

She wants to use it for Photoshop (2D work mostly) and being able to stream her art to twitch. She already has a desktop for when she's at home, so this is for when she's on travelling and needs to keep working.

Having glanced through the last couple of pages it looked like the XPS 15 might be a decent choice, but I was curious if there were some other machines she should consider.

The XPS 15 4k-screen is really nice for working with photos, probably for photoshop-stuff too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

X230 or X240? T430 with the 1600x900 screen?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

X230 or X240? T430 with the 1600x900 screen?

You can get a 1080p 450 for $500

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

NewFatMike posted:

I'm in China ATM so I'm only seeing the Hong Kong website and they're available there, sorry I'm not much help.

That's OK, I saw it available on the HK store but not the US one. Might just have to wait a little to pick one up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My laptop is starting to get a little weird on me, so I may have to tell you exactly how the T570 from the Hong Kong store is.

I also had a thought today, laptop megathread:

Do you think it makes more sense to have an eGPU or to use steam in home streaming for the majority of eGPU use cases? I may have to run some tests on that because I've been thinking about setting up a headless home server.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If you are in a situation where that is an alternative I think the Steam streaming is by far the superior alterantive; eGPUs continue to be expensive and fiddly still unfortunately, where streaming tends to work great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very true, and I think unless you're doing something really crazy, you'd be able to get some good stuff done. I am going to investigate how one goes about properly benchmarking from the perspective of the client device and how adaptive sync technologies play with that.

Genuinely a weird part of my use case is that a Razer Core fits perfectly in my backpack, but I'm very interested because this thought hadn't occurred to me before.

It's very comforting knowing that it's an available option that I can check out especially because I'm afraid my laptop is going to die in the near future and an XPS 15 with the 1050 GPU is a perfectly acceptable road warrior gaming GPU especially if I can get much better performance back home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You could get the XPS 15 now, and in two years plug in an eGPU. You'll probably be buying a new laptop at the end of 3 years anyways.

There's very few games where having better than a 1050 will have an impact vs a better card at 1080p if you ignore VR. 4k gaming on a 15" display seems like overkill.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Agreed. My current laptop is starting to show signs of not doing so great structurally, but it's still holding up. I've got the model of XPS 15 I want pretty much permanently pulled up on my phone in case I need to pull the trigger on it (although if my laptop "suddenly" dies while I'm in China, that'll be less than ideal).

Home server is going to happen at some point as well (hopefully with the rumored AMD X399 board). Getting it set up for in home streaming may or may not be trivial, but it is doable.

Either solution (in home streaming or eGPU) totally works and is fine, but I might actually do some field tests on the two methods.

E: yeah, 1080p for life on the XPS

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's a cheap, reliable laptop for old people who need basic word processing and email access? I think a Chromebook would be a bit too minimalist, but I'm open to any convincing arguments.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

psydude posted:

What's a cheap, reliable laptop for old people who need basic word processing and email access? I think a Chromebook would be a bit too minimalist, but I'm open to any convincing arguments.

The big cheap 15" Chromebook sounds right up that alley: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB5-571-C09S-15-6-Inch-Full/dp/B00T03KQ34

Chromebooks are outright a better option for old people who don't have a specific need for a Windows-only desktop application. Updates are less intrusive, and it'll stay secure. My parents really hate the Windows 10 ads that have been stuffed into the OS lately, and struggle to find their way around some things in Windows when all they really need is a browser + printer, and Chromebooks can print.

eames
May 9, 2009

eGPU (+ dualbooting depending on your main OS?) is possible but far more trouble than it's worth. Dualbooting alone is annoying enough to not make me want to play games in the first place.
Steam inhome streaming is totally seamless, allows alt-tabbing, removes all the noisy and hot hardware from my vicinity and doesn't use up any precious internal SSD space.
The only situation where I'd prefer an eGPU are twitch shooters like Overwatch as that's where the 30ms display latency (probably closer to 40ms including laptop display lag) is vaguely noticeable to me.
It's also worth mentioning that development on in-home streaming seems to have stagnated over the last months which may or may not have something to do with Valve's focus on VR. :shrug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

The big cheap 15" Chromebook sounds right up that alley: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB5-571-C09S-15-6-Inch-Full/dp/B00T03KQ34

Chromebooks are outright a better option for old people who don't have a specific need for a Windows-only desktop application. Updates are less intrusive, and it'll stay secure. My parents really hate the Windows 10 ads that have been stuffed into the OS lately, and struggle to find their way around some things in Windows when all they really need is a browser + printer, and Chromebooks can print.

How do they do on video?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

psydude posted:

How do they do on video?

If they're streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, whatever streaming site everything is great. If they're putting in SD cards from a digital camera, things are still good. If they have downloaded copies of anime fansubs in a weird format then certainly not as flexible as MPC-HC or VLC.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new laptop on a budget of €1000. I use photoshop a fair bit and figure i may as well get a laptop with a gpu that will let me play some relatively newish games as well.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax207na-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-15-1jl19ea/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-pavilion-15-bc006na-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-960m-w8x98ea/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax095na-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx960m-2gb-1-z5c08ea/version.asp

Is it worth the extra €100 to go for the first one? I think the processor is faster and I know the 1050 is newer but would there be much of a difference in performance?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

You could get the XPS 15 now, and in two years plug in an eGPU. You'll probably be buying a new laptop at the end of 3 years anyways.

There's very few games where having better than a 1050 will have an impact vs a better card at 1080p if you ignore VR. 4k gaming on a 15" display seems like overkill.

One thing that would be a dealbreaker for me is that the XPS15 9560 only has 2 PCIe lanes for it's TB3 connection which really decreases it's eGPU value.

With that said, the 1050 is not that powerful a card. The 1050ti is a much more appropriate card to say that no better card will have an impact at 1080p in general. The 1050ti is roughly equivalent to a GTX 960 / 7970HD / 970m and there are more than just a few games that class of performance can't max out at 1080p.

The XPS 15, both new and old versions, in a lot of cases suffer from temp and power throttling as well, so it's actually worse than the sum of its parts.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eames posted:

Steam inhome streaming is totally seamless, allows alt-tabbing, removes all the noisy and hot hardware from my vicinity and doesn't use up any precious internal SSD space.

Yeah, my Steam Link has totally sold me on it for my living room. Even though I use an MSI gaming laptop with a 970M, there wasn't really anywhere to put the thing, so leaving it docked in the office and running a Powerline adapter is 100% the way to go and I've been loving it.

quote:

The only situation where I'd prefer an eGPU are twitch shooters like Overwatch as that's where the 30ms display latency (probably closer to 40ms including laptop display lag) is vaguely noticeable to me.

Eugh yeah, the dGPU on the XPS 15 is definitely enough for that

quote:

It's also worth mentioning that development on in-home streaming seems to have stagnated over the last months which may or may not have something to do with Valve's focus on VR. :shrug:

I think that may be due to recent updates allowing for 4k60 streaming, which is a mark still pretty far out for a lot of folks (like me).

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

One thing that would be a dealbreaker for me is that the XPS15 9560 only has 2 PCIe lanes for it's TB3 connection which really decreases it's eGPU value.

Yeah, this is the big reason why the thought of in home streaming makes more sense, because the only other laptop I'm really looking at is the be ThinkPad X1 Carbon, but that 100% loses road warrior capabilities. Trips like the one I'm on where I'm in China for over a month really benefit from having a dGPU and 970M performance has been really good, but I'm willing to take a hit on performance for dramatically more battery life.

All that said, hopefully my laptop will continue to last for 6 months or more. Maybe there will be a badass APU in an enterprise grade laptop with a Freesync screen that would make my life. I'm fine with 1080p30 for the road and having either game streaming from a meaty home server or eGPU back home. I'm thinking the Windows update with game mode might disproportionately improve laptops over desktops as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tag youre fat posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new laptop on a budget of €1000. I use photoshop a fair bit and figure i may as well get a laptop with a gpu that will let me play some relatively newish games as well.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax207na-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-15-1jl19ea/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-pavilion-15-bc006na-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-960m-w8x98ea/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax095na-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx960m-2gb-1-z5c08ea/version.asp

Is it worth the extra €100 to go for the first one? I think the processor is faster and I know the 1050 is newer but would there be much of a difference in performance?

Significantly faster, yes. The 960m is pretty terrible, with numerous games it's just flat out not able to play at 1080p.

I'd be surprised that, if you did a little more digging, you couldn't find a laptop with a a 1050 ti however. A 1060 laptop would be best, but is like 200 euro outside of your budget range.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I ended up purchasing a Thinkpad P50 from the lenovo outlet on saturday, and it came in thursday afternoon. I spent all thursday night and into the morning(its 5:30am now) setting up the windows 10 that came with it, and then installing linux on the M.2 NVMe I added to it.

And now I just noticed that the graphics card is showing up as a Quadro M1000M instead of M2000M that was in the product description, that I paid for. That's half the graphics missing! :mad:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 24, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are you able to check if it shows up that way in the BIOS? I'm wondering if something didn't go a tiny bit hinky (no matter how slim the chance) in the OS changeover

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quick search reveals they were sold with both models, it's not unheard of for the seller to have mistakes in their manifest. See if they can offer a refund or replacement. eBay sellers with high ratings like to keep their ratings high

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I called lenovo support and they said they can give up to 7% concession, which comes out to $78.75. I don't know what the pricing difference of those graphics normally is, but i guess that sounds fair?

fake edit: gently caress I just checked the pricing after I agreed to this over phone, and its $120 more for M2000M vs M1000M

The other option was returning it for a full refund, I didn't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back and ordering a whole new laptop that would probably be wrong anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

NewFatMike posted:

Are you able to check if it shows up that way in the BIOS? I'm wondering if something didn't go a tiny bit hinky (no matter how slim the chance) in the OS changeover
I don't see any mention of the nvidia card in BIOS. During install it did tell me that I needed to disable secure boot in order to use linux proprietary nvidia drivers, is it possible the actual GPU firmware would be updated to the wrong thing by linux (mint 18.1) install process?

Windows is still installed on the old drive by the way, and I can dual boot to it. It also shows M1000M fwiw.

Well, worst case is I got shafted for $41.25 by lenovo. Could be worse I guess.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 24, 2017