Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is actually a quick aside in The Invisibles.

I don't love The Invisibles as a whole but I think it's the most creative and far ranging comic work since maybe the Fourth World. Or Cerebus, but then the publication of Cerebus pre and post dates The Invisibles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really rewarding to go in and bite chunks out of it once in a while.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's really rewarding to go in and bite chunks out of it once in a while.

Yeah not to be that guy with the same old monster of the week is better than mythology poo poo but a lot of the asides are really fantastic on their own. A lot of it is very of a piece with Flex, though sadly no artist apart from Quitely ever put Quitely level work into The Invisibles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is actually a quick aside in The Invisibles.

I haven't read that, but it makes sense that someone would have done it. I just don't think Get Out is doing it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Simplex posted:

If we are talking about African-American culture specifically, then yes skin color is a pretty important component of it. With culture in general, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Germany and Ireland are both predominantly white countries, but nobody is going to confuse German or Irish cultures, or not see distinct differences because of that. Similarly, African-American culture has very little in common with Congolese culture.

The white people in the film aren't abducting black people so they can have the surgery and go on and live black lives. That would probably be an interesting story, but not really what the concern is with white people co-opting black culture, and it's not what happens in the movie.

To give an example outside of the movie: co-opting of culture for some reason is really popular when discussing music, and a few years back there were a ton of white dudes who really liked to talk about how much they liked hip-hop. Not gangsta rap with its glorification of violence, objectification of women, and all around frivolity. They liked intellectual hip-hop, which is music that is about issues,and is deep and has meaning. The problem if you know the history of the music, is that the original intellectual hip-hop artists are also the original gangster rappers. The gangster rapper and the intellectual hip-hop artist grew up in the same neighborhood, listened to the same music growing up, and are inspired by the same sources. They are two pieces of one whole. And now when you search for the best intellectual hip-hop these are the types of lists you get:
http://www.thisblogrules.com/2014/07/examples-intellectual-hip-hop.html
http://listverse.com/2011/11/29/10-brilliant-examples-of-intellectual-hip-hop/

dude..................................

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Like, to use your example, if Logan was trying to sell "intellectual hip hop," and wanted to be black in order to make it seem more authentic, I'd see it. You could totally make that movie, white people stealing black bodies so that they could say the n-word. This movie is so clearly not that, that I don't know why you'd want to torture the idea of what's essential to a culture just to make the movie about cultural appropriation. I mean, I get why Escobarbarian did it, he was just making GBS threads out a quick post because someone pointed out that all he'd done in this thread is comment about the posting style of one specific other poster. But I don't see the reading of the film that's actually going somewhere with this idea.

I'm think we are arguing past each other a little bit here. A musician in the movie would have no desire to make authentic hip-hop. They don't care for authentic hip-hop. They would just want a black body so they could go make some intellectual hip-hop about the Dow Jones or retirement pension funds, or whatever it is that old-white people theoretically would rap about.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Im genuinely confused now

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Simplex posted:

I'm think we are arguing past each other a little bit here. A musician in the movie would have no desire to make authentic hip-hop. They don't care for authentic hip-hop. They would just want a black body so they could go make some intellectual hip-hop about the Dow Jones or retirement pension funds, or whatever it is that old-white people theoretically would rap about.

What character in the movie do you believe is interested in making hip-hop about the Dow Jones, or retirement pension funds, or whatever, and what in the movie led you to believe that? Because I don't see it at all.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo this thread rules

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Sir Kodiak posted:

What character in the movie do you believe is interested in making hip-hop about the Dow Jones, or retirement pension funds, or whatever, and what in the movie led you to believe that? Because I don't see it at all.

How about the blind art dealer who wants to see pictures with "soul" or whatever

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Unoriginal Name posted:

How about the blind art dealer who wants to see pictures with "soul" or whatever

That was the bit that stood out to me most, which goes with the air of "selling out" his blackness (see again, his Starbucksy apartment).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

It is the case that he (Stephen Root) and the father (Bradley Whitford) appreciate the implications of using black bodies for the project. But instead of trying to engage in stereotypical black behavior, they fit into the more enlightened-liberal idea that once a black person reaches a certain level of success (e.g., Barack Obama, Tiger Woods, Jordan Peele), the status of being a "successful African American" is a positive. But is that co-opting black culture, given how much those sorts of figures are accused of acting white? (Note, Peele made a whole other movie about "acting white") And further, these are the white characters. The black-body/white-brain characters don't get into this.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
To add something to the conversation, there's one thread I haven't seen really explored in the critique that positions the body-snatching conspiracy as a literalization of Chris's anxiety about more broadly engaging with white society. Namely, Stephen Root's looking to specifically snatch Chris's body for what he claims are colorblind reasons having to do with Chris's creative talents. Leaving aside the more nuanced ways in which that set of claims is ridiculous and racist - Chris's photography is heavily informed by his own attempts at conveying and essentializing his black experience, and Root's not really going to be able to access any of that in a meaningful way - there's the much more obvious stumbling block: why the gently caress do you think his talents as a photographer are situated in his eyes rather than in his brain?

Following through on the idea that Chris's nightmare weekend is about literalizing the anxiety he feels when encountering such a sheer wave of liberally-minded racism, this is Chris's fear that his apparent acceptance into this white cultural context is for the wrong reasons, that the things he's being praised for are inflected with condescension and dismissal. This poo poo happens all the time when racist white people try to explain what's admirable about specific black people, in a way that Peele is intensely familiar with and has already mocked at length in a sketch from Key and Peele where a Sportscenter guy talks about how Super Bowl 49 is a clash between Brady the strategic titan and Sherman is a physical specimen. Any compliment paid to you isn't really about you, it's about something that can be distanced enough from you-as-a-person that you're still not really afforded any real respect. If there's a black student who's doing a lot better than Jeremy in med school, it's probably down to their Gifted Hands, and so on

And the thing I've enjoyed most reading about this specific critique is that it actively makes Chris a more sympathetic and interesting character - as others have pointed out, he doesn't really do anything in the plot of the movie up until the finale, just sorta standing around looking ill at ease while Rod spouts off the more overt conspiracy poo poo. But seeing the events of the movie as reflections of the ways that he specifically (you can bet that Rod's version of a similar weekend would be much more laced with sexual anxieties) has been bombarded with interpersonal and institutional racism means that pretty much anything any of the white characters do is implicit characterization for our protagonist. That's a really efficient and clever narrative construction!

I should note as well that for those who don't subscribe to that particular ideological critique of the movie, there's still something in this post for you! Read literally, the body snatchers' view of Chris's talents as physical rather than mental or creative means they are even more racist, and thus more evil villains. That is good

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, that's why I laughed when he said "I want your eyes", as if there's something inherent about his African Eyeballs that's more receptive the concept of "soul" (and they're Activated Eyeballs, too - he could've taken any black guy's eyes but this one's learned a trick).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Anyone care to explain how Chris's photography is "black" and his apartment is "not black"?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Artists who're non-normative tend to have their work viewed through the lens of their most notable aberration (black, disabled, gay, etc), and it's literally a blind guy telling him "your work has soul". His apartment is basically just missing a barista, it's gentrification in architectural form. It could just be a cheap movie location but it's the picture of ladder-climbing, non-threatening conformity.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

i am the bird posted:

Anyone care to explain how Chris's photography is "black" and his apartment is "not black"?

quote:

Daylight, I wake up feeling like you won't play right
I usually know but now, that poo poo don't feel right
It made me put away my pride
So long, you made a nigga wait for some, so long
You make it hard for a boy like that to go wrong
I'm wishing I could make this mine, oh

If you want it, yeah
You can have it, oh, oh, oh
If you need it, ooh
We can make it, oh
If you want it
You can have it

But stay woke
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Ooh, now stay woke
Niggas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes

Too late
You wanna make it right, but now it's too late
My peanut butter chocolate cake with Kool-Aid
I'm trying not to waste my time

If you want it, oh
You can have it, you can have it
If you need it
You better believe in something
We can make it
If you want it
You can have it, aah!

But stay woke
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Put your hands up on me
Now stay woke
Niggas creepin'
But stay woke, ooh
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Ooh, now stay woke
Niggas creepin'

Baby get so scandalous, oh
How'd it get so scandalous?
Oh, oh
Baby you
How'd it get...
How'd it get so scandalous?
Ooh we get so scandalous
But stay woke
But stay woke

As far as I remember, there's only two songs in the film and they're played consecutively right in the beginning, with "Redbone" in the apartment. I think the themes of the song parallels that of the movie, and I think if you're gonna dissect the apartment opening you've got to include the song in that. I don't have any analysis of my own right now to offer, cause I need to see the movie again, plus I'm at work right now and can't really delve into it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 24, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, that's why I laughed when he said "I want your eyes", as if there's something inherent about his African Eyeballs that's more receptive the concept of "soul" (and they're Activated Eyeballs, too - he could've taken any black guy's eyes but this one's learned a trick).

Not 'eyes' - eye. Root doesn't want mere eye surgery. Blindness hasn't really held him back in life, you may have noticed. He wants the soul itself - literally, to have a little black guy (trapped as a disembodied gaze) inside him.

Steve2911 posted:

Grandma and grandpa weren't actually presented as themselves for the majority of the movie though. They were put in a certain role for Chris' benefit.

Why would they pretend to be abused servants and not, say, neighbours? Friends from out of town?

It should be repeated: there is only what is on the screen. The grand-servants do not act completely differently offscreen, because they have no offscreen existence. The family are 'being themselves'.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

It's weird as hell that Grandma and Grandpa would decide to be servants for the weekend instead of like, go to a bed and breakfast or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not 'eyes' - eye. Root doesn't want mere eye surgery. Blindness hasn't really held him back in life, you may have noticed. He wants the soul itself - literally, to have a little black guy (trapped as a disembodied gaze) inside him.

I understand that, my statement is from his misguided point of view. I can't remember if he said "eye" or "eyes" on the videodronicator but the point is the same either way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I understand that, my statement is from his misguided point of view. I can't remember if he said "eye" or "eyes" on the videodronicator but the point is the same either way.

Not exactly the same. All the other party guests want exotic black bodies, and consider the lingering consciousness 'trapped in the sunken place' an unfortunate side-effect.

Root is the polar opposite: he wants these authentic feelings that briefly rise to the surface like Georgina's tears. He wants Walter's anger, Andre's terror, and Chris' despair. This is why Root is one of the only white liberals in the film.

The trick is that both liberal Chris and the liberal film itself agree with Root completely: Georgina is depicted exclusively as a black servant in distress, but the ideology of the film must separate her into good and evil 'halves' that are also black and white, authentic and inauthentic, cool and lame, real and fake, etc. It is extremely difficult to overcome these false binaries and understand Georgina as simultaneously an abused white grandmother and a miserable black servant. These two identities are united by class.

In other words, Root always unconsciously wished for his own destruction. He would be very happy to see this explosion of black rage burning down the house. It's so authentic! Chris is giving these liberal characters exactly what they want - turning into a real beast, as the kid put it. Their violent deaths are the fantasy of the white liberal audience.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 24, 2017

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It's weird as hell that Grandma and Grandpa would decide to be servants for the weekend instead of like, go to a bed and breakfast or something.

They love serving the family, and their new bodies let them do it! And it seems that these "weekends" happen every 4 months (which is how long Chris & Rose have dated.)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Deeply ingrained racism? I mean, what else would black people be doing

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

Deeply ingrained racism? I mean, what else would black people be doing

I don't think that meshes with the logic of the film, I mean the one lady's married to Logan so its not like it would've been out of the ordinary for them to show up as guests at the party & then they could hang out with the ppl @ their party instead of having 2 serve them the whole time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't think that meshes with the logic of the film, I mean the one lady's married to Logan so its not like it would've been out of the ordinary for them to show up as guests at the party & then they could hang out with the ppl @ their party instead of having 2 serve them the whole time.

Yeah if you insist on viewing it literally then it's just idiotic.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya I'm just repeating whats already been said but there's a million alternatives, they could be "old family friends who are staying over for the weekend" or whatever, they're not trying to make Chris uncomfortable or something they're trying to do the opposite & keep him there (and, as mentioned, Dean's aware that it might make Chris uncomfortable with the "I know how this looks" line).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ah Chris, great to meet you man. I'm Dean, this is Missy, and these are [pause for effect here] my black friends,

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As someone who lives off and on with grandparents they actually do tend to enjoy doing menial tasks like serving food and gardening, because it gives them something to do that isn't sitting around doing nothing.

My grandfather for example refuses to hire a gardener because he can do it himself in the same time and he enjoys the work, my grandmother will take any excuse possible to cook and serve food to people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lord_Magmar posted:

As someone who lives off and on with grandparents they actually do tend to enjoy doing menial tasks like serving food and gardening, because it gives them something to do that isn't sitting around doing nothing.

My grandfather for example refuses to hire a gardener because he can do it himself in the same time and he enjoys the work, my grandmother will take any excuse possible to cook and serve food to people.

The Visit has a fantastic take on this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well, you're not wrong. The problem is when people think the problem of exploitation is being unhappy. Walter and Georgina both openly declare that they are quite happy - but they're literally, albeit unconsciously 'crying in the inside'.

In a Marxist film this would be a metaphor for class consciousness, but the point here is that Get Out straightforwardly substitutes class consciousness with 'wokeness'. It's in the specific sense that:

"Getting woke is like being in the Matrix and taking the red pill. You get a sudden understanding of what's really going on."
-urbandictionary.com

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
To return to something people mentioned earlier in the thread:
When I saw it there was a large group of people behind us laughing really loudly and saying stuff about the film. "What was that??" "Who is that?" and etc. They were loud, just speaking volume.

For me that totally ruined the tension of the film and when people mentioned earlier being happy in a cinema that was loud when the film was on I wondered if it was the same sort of stuff? I can see it adding atmosphere in a comedy but here it was just really annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my cinema it was more shocked reactions and applauding at big moments. Which was super entertaining. Not people not getting what was going on.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I saw it in a theater with almost all white people. There were a few that would react very loudly early in the film when someone would say something like "I would have voted for Obama a third time" and it was really grating to hear people try to impress the theater with how "woke" they are. Almost took me out of the movie but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think we were the only white people in my screening.

If not the only then certainly the most white.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The stupidly over the top bad guys and their retarded plan took me straight out of the movie.

"Look at rose drink milk through a black straw while being a Vile Devil Temptress and looking at black guys on google; She is sucking on a black straw because she sucks black penises. You can feel okay when she dies later, even if it's possible she's been hypnotized to do all this poo poo."

That last bit is entirely not native to this movie though, I'm always annoyed by films feeling the need to make it okay to kill the 'bad guys,' whether racist depictions of gangsters, nazis or white body snatcher hypnotists(duuuuuuuumb)

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's almost like movies frequently use over the top and unrealistic scenarios to make cogent points about the real world

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I mean, that's certainly the hottest take in this thread

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah why can't they just be smart bad guys with reasonable plans, like Nazis?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is the case that he (Stephen Root) and the father (Bradley Whitford) appreciate the implications of using black bodies for the project. But instead of trying to engage in stereotypical black behavior, they fit into the more enlightened-liberal idea that once a black person reaches a certain level of success (e.g., Barack Obama, Tiger Woods, Jordan Peele), the status of being a "successful African American" is a positive. But is that co-opting black culture, given how much those sorts of figures are accused of acting white? (Note, Peele made a whole other movie about "acting white") And further, these are the white characters. The black-body/white-brain characters don't get into this.

I think it's both? Like, yes, Logan/Walter/Georgina don't specifically put on ANY of even the superficial trappings of "being black" that might you might consider as old white people "co-opting black culture", but I think it's close enough to be a valid conversation and I think it still functions metaphorically on the idea of "cultural appropriation". It's just that in the literal of the movie itself, the thing being co-opted is the physical embodiment of being black without any of the cultural associations thereof. It's culture disappearing into whiteness. Maybe that needs a different term than "co-opting", since the white people in question aren't absorbing anything about black culture than the skin color, but it's along similar lines, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

xeria posted:

I think it's both? Like, yes, Logan/Walter/Georgina don't specifically put on ANY of even the superficial trappings of "being black" that might you might consider as old white people "co-opting black culture", but I think it's close enough to be a valid conversation and I think it still functions metaphorically on the idea of "cultural appropriation". It's just that in the literal of the movie itself, the thing being co-opted is the physical embodiment of being black without any of the cultural associations thereof. It's culture disappearing into whiteness. Maybe that needs a different term than "co-opting", since the white people in question aren't absorbing anything about black culture than the skin color, but it's along similar lines, I think.

Co-opting is literally taking something for you own use. So, yeah, I think you need a different term. Since, as you say, what's being taken is without any of the cultural associations.

• Locked thread