Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poulpe posted:

one final Zelda - Breath of the Wild gripe-

I've collected a little less than half of what is available in the game, and the game seems more than satisfied with me clearing everything with that. The rest just feels like pointless overkill for completionists.

Korok seeds are definitely that, so probably intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Holy gently caress Nier, if you're going to have some gimmick where I have to "discover" how to save my progress, your game had better be rock solid and not a crash-happy piece of poo poo. I've tried to get through the tutorial level twice now and it's crashed partway both times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm having​ trouble getting into Zelda. It feels big just to be big is the worst part. Getting from point a to b takes entirely too long even on a horse.

The weapon system and I aren't getting along because Jesus Christ is everything in Hyrule made of aluminum foil?

And finally the shrines already are getting samey and I'm not even very far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not a whole lot of enemy variation in Hyrule these days.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't understand why developers think flying enemies loving off for a minute is fun? It was poo poo in Skyrim and it's slowly driving me crazy in Dragon's Dogma. The wolves also constantly run the gently caress away in DD as well. It's kinda maddening and is enough to drag the game down an entire star rating in itself considering how often you run into the loving things between several types each of wolves, harpies, and dragonkin all over the place.

Dragon's Dogma itself is kinda amazing in how it still manages to be worth a drat with much it's loaded down with annoyances, terrible design decisions, and the storytelling. I'm pretty sure you could just describe half or more of the systems in the game as a thing dragging it down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Futuresight posted:

I don't understand why developers think flying enemies loving off for a minute is fun?

This is always the worst. Doubly so if it's a boss fight where you spend like a third of the fight just waiting for the boss to come in hitting range again.

Futuresight posted:

between several types each of wolves, harpies, and dragonkin all over the place.

There's like three types of most enemies, one of which you don't really see until the last area and into post-game not counting Bitter Black Island's enemy types.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Are you a warrior trying to fight the lightning dragon? Well have fun watching it strafe your for a while before taking a swing at its tail and hoping you hit and knock it down, because otherwise it's probably gonna gently caress off again for a bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Futuresight posted:

I don't understand why developers think flying enemies loving off for a minute is fun?

This is something that is driving me nuts when I play a DPS in FF14. They have a bunch of bosses who do flashy moves and why yes they look cool and all I only have about 4 seconds left of my buffs. Its especially frustrating if you activate your 3 minute cool down ability that lasts 24 seconds and the boss enters its fancy animation where you can't hurt it for the entire god drat duration.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

Are you a warrior trying to fight the lightning dragon? Well have fun watching it strafe your for a while before taking a swing at its tail and hoping you hit and knock it down, because otherwise it's probably gonna gently caress off again for a bit.

Assuming you're still talking about Dragon's Dogma, in my experience there's one single skill you use as a warrior. That one big rear end charge skill. You sit there and let the enemy run into you then slam it into the ground. Warrior is a very cool class but it's the worst one to actually play as.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

I'm having​ trouble getting into Zelda. It feels big just to be big is the worst part. Getting from point a to b takes entirely too long even on a horse.

The weapon system and I aren't getting along because Jesus Christ is everything in Hyrule made of aluminum foil?

Yeah. Once the novelty of "An open world Zelda!!" wears off the game does get kind of dull

As much as I love the game and I do think it's one of the better looking Zelda's, I do kind of find the world and characters pretty forgettable.

RareAcumen posted:

Not a whole lot of enemy variation in Hyrule these days.

Yes. As much as I loved all the wild life flying around Hyrule, I was pretty disappointed with how limited the number of different enemies there are in comparison.
While I do think it's cool how some of them are really expressive and react to the environment and things which keeps them from going completely stale, your still going to be using the same exact strategy's against mostly the same guys and it does feel like a chore sometimes to even fight them sometimes.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Len posted:

The world is a bit too big, but I wouldn't call it empty. I've had a lot of fun just by turning off the minimap and quest markers and just ambling around until I eventually get to where I need to be. I didn't get to Kakariko Village until about 5 or 6 hours in (after spending about a 45 minutes to an hour on the Plateau) because I saw a meteor strike while I was on my way. Obviously I had to go there and check it out, and then I found myself at Hateno Tower and obviously had to climb that, which let me see the nearby village, a couple of shrines, and some other neat poo poo, all of which I could get to at my own pace.

Thing dragging open-world games down: minimaps and quest markers.

The durability system is definitely a problem in the early game, because the enemies get tougher before the weapons get better. It wasn't until after I beat the Elephant that the disparity leveled off and weapons would kill more than one enemy before breaking.

Inco has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Mar 25, 2017

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just got Mass Effect Andromeda and I am not having good feelings so far. I'm not sure why but everything looks strange and bright is one issue I've had with the first planet. Another issue is character creator is really barebones. I mean I wasn't expecting WWE create a wrestler but at least as good as the mass effect series it's a part of. Also so far the story is strange and it feels like I'm missing some of it. It doesn't really feel like a Mass Effect game so far. My confession is I love the mass effect series, even the 3rd.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Triarii posted:

Holy gently caress Nier, if you're going to have some gimmick where I have to "discover" how to save my progress, your game had better be rock solid and not a crash-happy piece of poo poo. I've tried to get through the tutorial level twice now and it's crashed partway both times.

Do you want to know the incredibly innovate and groundbreaking system they have in place?

Dark Souls bonfires

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also good advice in Dragon's Dogma. You can completely lock yourself out of doing a bunch of characters' sidequests if you progress too fast.

I think the worst are Quina and Selene, because getting to the Witchwood takes you past some really nasty enemies for the level you're at and you can't even come back later because the quest fails automatically upon doing the next main quest (the one that takes you to Gran Soren).

Although that's another game you play through multiple times. Still a little annoying first time around.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just got Mass Effect Andromeda and I am not having good feelings so far. I'm not sure why but everything looks strange and bright is one issue I've had with the first planet. Another issue is character creator is really barebones. I mean I wasn't expecting WWE create a wrestler but at least as good as the mass effect series it's a part of. Also so far the story is strange and it feels like I'm missing some of it. It doesn't really feel like a Mass Effect game so far. My confession is I love the mass effect series, even the 3rd.

While I'm not super far into it yet (just settled the first planet), for the most part I'd say that I don't really get the complaints and think it's my favorite Mass Effect yet--the combat is really fun despite the enemies being a bit spongier than I'd like, the writing's standard Bioware writing (take that as you will), and I like the smaller scale of the story so far better than yet another save the universe space opera thing (even though I'm sure it's going to end up going that way with the Remnant stuff, if not in this game then in the next). But good lord the character creator was a huge letdown. It seems more like you're supposed to tweak one of the nine or so presets per sex which I guess would be fine if mildly disappointing if this was the first Mass Effect but after a whole trilogy and a handful of other games by the same devs where you can really create a character, it was really disappointing.

To it's credit, I did end up finally making a Ryder that I liked better than any of my previous Shepards:

But it took a lot of patience and frustration to get there.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Do you want to know the incredibly innovate and groundbreaking system they have in place?

Dark Souls bonfires

It was never touted as innovative or groundbreaking was it? Also, save points were around a long time before DS. Unless you mean the teleportation between them (does this really need to be a spoiler?).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I can't beat this kid's pocket racer to finish a sub story in Y0. I bought some decent parts but I might have to look for a better car than the starting one now.

Also I unlocked the ability to have Mr. Shakedowns spawn more consistently at parks but i haven't seen one since unlocking it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dark Souls bonfires

Man, I still remember those times when everybody was happy as gently caress that hardware had finally gotten to the point where at-will saving became feasible and got commonplace. When relying on rigid save-spots or checkpoints was considered a straight-up negative mark against a game's quality.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Perestroika posted:

Man, I still remember those times when everybody was happy as gently caress that hardware had finally gotten to the point where at-will saving became feasible and got commonplace. When relying on rigid save-spots or checkpoints was considered a straight-up negative mark against a game's quality.

Dark Souls autosaves constantly.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Nier: A's save system isn't really that bad, at least in my experience.

You can often freely save right from your menu, the save points are fairly common, and it checkpoints at boss fights and after completing missions and whatnot. So if you die you don't actually lose completed progress unless you quit the game.

The prologue/tutorial is pretty indefensible though. It's like at least 30 minutes, with an extended unskippable "cutscene" at the start, at a time when people probably need saves the most as they get used to the combat?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Dark Souls autosaves constantly.

Yeah you can also quit out whenever and reload exactly where you were, and even if the game crashes you don't lose progress. There's a clear delineation between the bonfires as checkpoints and discrete save spots.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

e: in reference to Nier:Automata

Gives you one of the endings, though! (Which I got like 3 times until I figured out you could just continuously i-frame your way through most attacks.)

So, uh, out of curiosity, is the point of no return after fighting the Gradius boss? Because I just saw several quest markers disappear.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
There's a chapter select when you beat Nier. Play it. Have fun.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Perestroika posted:

I'm finally playing the original Hitman and God is the lack of saves the worst.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Nier: A's save system isn't really that bad, at least in my experience.

You can often freely save right from your menu, the save points are fairly common, and it checkpoints at boss fights and after completing missions and whatnot. So if you die you don't actually lose completed progress unless you quit the game.

The prologue/tutorial is pretty indefensible though. It's like at least 30 minutes, with an extended unskippable "cutscene" at the start, at a time when people probably need saves the most as they get used to the combat?

:shrug: I managed to beat the intro segment without dying and I'm bad at video games. I think people are really, really blowing it out of proportion how bad it can be. Or they're starting on hard mode and trying to brute force it instead of just switching to an easier difficulty until they learn how to play the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything is so unbelievably loving spongey in andromeda. I was finally starting to feel comfortable with how long it took to kill things on bronze (and a single normal enemy already takes the better part of an entire magazine to kill on bronze), then I moved up to silver and loving surprise, now everything has roughly twice as much health now. The only weapon I have that can instakill things is a one-shot sniper with something along the lines of a four second delay between shots, and it requires a headshot, and can only one-shot the most basic of mooks.

More enemies with same (low) health is such a more satisfying way to scale difficulty than same number of enemies with more health. Even on the lowest difficulty, the shotgun that starts unlocked needs 3-5 point-blank shots to center of mass to kill one basic enemy. I almost laughed out loud when I tried a bit of the singleplayer and a character said "their weapons hit just as hard as ours!" after meeting/fighting some new aliens. Yes they do buddy, they are very advanced BB guns on both sides.

A major part of it is that the game is intentionally balanced like poo poo so a lot of guns and classes are total crap compared to rarer ones. So the sponginess can go down but only once you get the good gear, which means there's a huge amount of content in the game but only a small amount of viable content if you don't want everything to take entire magazines to kill.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Mar 26, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People don't seem to understand that every annoyance and and meta-obstacle Nier Automata has was carefully crafted and deliberately placed there by Yoko Taro because he loving hates you and you are his bitch.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

People don't seem to understand that every annoyance and and meta-obstacle Nier Automata has was carefully crafted and deliberately placed there by Yoko Taro because he loving hates you and you are his bitch.

This. Remember, the first Nier features horrible, horrible sidequests that featured Nier and Weiss bitching about how annoying they were and wondering out loud why the hell they were doing them.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Nioh is an amazingly fun Souls-esque game set in fantasy medieval Japan. It's been wall to wall fun for me, except for 2 things. One, the need to farm elixirs if you've gotten your rear end handed to you by a boss more than a few times (as forums user Poptart Fairy noted in the Nioh thread). Second, the weapon speed and range for most weapons suck so hard. Fighting most basic human enemies is cake, as their stamina is limited and you can tire them out via aggressive attacks or fake-outs. However, yokai (demons essentially) have unlimited stamina, even when their "stamina" bar is depleted. It simply means they can continue to spam attacks, but they can now be staggered. Fine and good. But some of the bigger enemies, like Onyudo (giants with a tongue-whip) and bosses are both ridiculously fast and are hard to stagger. I'm using the longest range weapon (spear) and extremely low armor weight so I can be fast and create distance, but after attacking the Onyudo takes a huge giant sized back-step, which means even with a spear I've got to charge in at a sprint to even get a few shots in before the next attack (also, screw whoever thought the 2nd attack in the spear heavy attack sequence should be a spear-butt strike with less range than a hammer. Attacking at maximum range with the spear means knowing that only 2 of your 3 attacks even have a chance to connect). Same deal with bosses. The Yuki-Onna (Ice Queen boss) flings ice spears which can't be dodged (by which I mean she flings between 3-8 spears, so your dodge roll might get you past the 1st few, but you're vulnerable coming out of a dodge-roll and that's when the next 4-8 cream you). And if you can close distance you can maybe, maybe get 2 swings in before she unleashes an AOE fuckoff attack. Managed to beat her, but I would trade every piece of magic and accessory for the ability to move and strike at even 3/4 the speed of the bad guys. ProTip for Yuki-Onna: dodge rolls or blocking equals death. Lock-on to her, and circle-strafe at full sprint to dodge her ranged fuckery. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's way better than the alternatives.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
You Nier apologists are loving weird.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They're neat games :shrug:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm not saying it's weird to like them. It's weird that in multiple threads you have people defending outright bad design decisions because they're meant to be bad. Like okay, but that doesn't make them less bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Much like the main character there is always a big but

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Futuresight posted:

I don't understand why developers think flying enemies loving off for a minute is fun? It was poo poo in Skyrim and it's slowly driving me crazy in Dragon's Dogma. The wolves also constantly run the gently caress away in DD as well. It's kinda maddening and is enough to drag the game down an entire star rating in itself considering how often you run into the loving things between several types each of wolves, harpies, and dragonkin all over the place.

Dragon's Dogma itself is kinda amazing in how it still manages to be worth a drat with much it's loaded down with annoyances, terrible design decisions, and the storytelling. I'm pretty sure you could just describe half or more of the systems in the game as a thing dragging it down.
Also those dumb ghost enemies that can only be hit by magic, especially since mage pawns are idiots about fighting them and can't seem to actually hit them most of the time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Futuresight posted:

I'm not saying it's weird to like them. It's weird that in multiple threads you have people defending outright bad design decisions because they're meant to be bad. Like okay, but that doesn't make them less bad.

I'm not saying it's not bad. I'm saying when a big giant warning sign says "this game has no auto-save" jump right in to the hardest difficulty and you spend an hour dying to the same boss without changing the difficulty to normal or easy, then go online to complain about it then maybe you're kind of dumb and the game has some problems.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Digirat posted:

Everything is so unbelievably loving spongey in andromeda. I was finally starting to feel comfortable with how long it took to kill things on bronze (and a single normal enemy already takes the better part of an entire magazine to kill on bronze), then I moved up to silver and loving surprise, now everything has roughly twice as much health now. The only weapon I have that can instakill things is a one-shot sniper with something along the lines of a four second delay between shots, and it requires a headshot, and can only one-shot the most basic of mooks.

More enemies with same (low) health is such a more satisfying way to scale difficulty than same number of enemies with more health. Even on the lowest difficulty, the shotgun that starts unlocked needs 3-5 point-blank shots to center of mass to kill one basic enemy. I almost laughed out loud when I tried a bit of the singleplayer and a character said "their weapons hit just as hard as ours!" after meeting/fighting some new aliens. Yes they do buddy, they are very advanced BB guns on both sides.

A major part of it is that the game is intentionally balanced like poo poo so a lot of guns and classes are total crap compared to rarer ones. So the sponginess can go down but only once you get the good gear, which means there's a huge amount of content in the game but only a small amount of viable content if you don't want everything to take entire magazines to kill.

My biggest problem with the mass effect trilogy was how bullet spongy the enemies were. It's hard to imagine the games getting worse. I played on the lowest possible difficulty for mass effect 3 just because I was sick of shooting every enemy multiple times in the head with a sniper rifle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Easy difficulty has the 'use healing items at 0 hp automatically', right?

And can't you change difficulty from the menu?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Calaveron posted:

Nothing is ever bad. Everything you think is bad is that way on purpose because it is you who is bad. Makes you think.

Actual stuff:
The worst part of overwatch are the competitive players.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

I'm not saying it's not bad. I'm saying when a big giant warning sign says "this game has no auto-save" jump right in to the hardest difficulty and you spend an hour dying to the same boss without changing the difficulty to normal or easy, then go online to complain about it then maybe you're kind of dumb and the game has some problems.

The original complaint was about game crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mazerunner posted:

This is the loving worst, you've already shown that your game has the ability to save at these points and you recognize that they might want to restart from there. Why remove those saves when you quit the game and force them to restart from and earlier point instead of letting the player resume from there?