Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's kinda weird because MGR was a solid PC port and I don't remember people complaining about anything in Transformers. I really shouldn't have to run it at 720p on a 950 when Witcher 3 is perfectly playable on 1080p, or at least I don't see anything that would hit performance that hard in this game. However, I kinda take the Dark Souls stance on this port, which is "better than not playing it at all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Augus posted:

Oh my god that soundtrack cue in the (Route A spoilers) BECOME AS GODS boss fight. :allears:
Keiichi Okabe is the man.

I KNOW!!!

That song had been playing in my head ever since I saw the trailer where they first used it, and when it rolled in... aaaaah! SO GOOD.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah same here. I just want them to address and fix the growing perception of this being a somewhat risky port ASAP so people can get turned off the game by actually designed dick moves instead of technical issues. :twisted:

When stuff like this happens (company releases iffy PC port, modder(s) immediately swoop in to start fixing it), I have to wonder why they don't just contact the modder and offer them some contract work to help fix up the actual official product. IdolNinja fixed the SR2 PC port, and he got hired by Volition or THQ or whoever it was.

Dias posted:

I really shouldn't have to run it at 720p on a 950 when Witcher 3 is perfectly playable on 1080p, or at least I don't see anything that would hit performance that hard in this game.

Have you tried installing the FAR mod and fiddling with the Global Illumination setting that comes with it? Some people have reported fairly chunky performance gains from turning that down one or two notches from the game's default.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 26, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dias posted:

However, I kinda take the Dark Souls stance on this port, which is "better than not playing it at all".
After 300 hours in the DS1 pc port, i'm entirely desensitized at this point and get what you mean. But yeah, it's just so unnecessary and nobody should have to, the game deserves better than "bearable, mostly functional".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Instant Grat posted:

Have you tried installing the FAR mod and fiddling with the Global Illumination setting that comes with it? Some people have reported fairly chunky performance gains from turning that down one or two notches from the game's default.

I installed it but didn't have the time to figure out WHERE exactly I should be fiddling about, hehe.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

After 300 hours in the DS1 pc port, i'm entirely desensitized at this point and get what you mean. But yeah, it's just so unnecessary and nobody should have to, the game deserves better than "bearable, mostly functional".

Yeah, I'm just...it's nice to get a thing that I could have bet on being PS4-exclusive (and was already sad ahead of time), y'know? Even if the port sucks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dias posted:

I installed it but didn't have the time to figure out WHERE exactly I should be fiddling about, hehe.

In the menu that pops up when you hit CTRL + SHIFT + T, there's an option labeled "Nier Automata", it's under there. I think changing it in there resets when you close the game, but he might have updated that. The mod itself actually searches for updates when you launch the game, which is nifty.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It took until route c to come out in full effect, but it's good to see the legacy of Drakengard's hate for all children is still not dead yet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's... unfortunate.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

It took until route c to come out in full effect, but it's good to see the legacy of Drakengard's hate for all children is still not dead yet.

I mean in Route A A2 just casually murders a baby machine

...Wait, a baby machine? How does that even work?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

It wasn't... exactly a baby...

the robots are very interesting how they choose their social bonds with each other. They know that humans form families, nations and such, so they do it too. They take up the roles that exist in those groups, and act them out. But of course, a baby robot is never going to grow up.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2017

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Are there any particularly good places to farm large gears? I only need 2 to finish my last weapon upgrade but I haven't been able to get the traveling vendor to spawn with the good mats and I spent like 15 minutes killing enemies in the infinite spawn pit and only got one the entire time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Have you done Route B yet?

But I guess doesn't really explain it... "we put the memories of our king into this baby..." WHERE DID YOU GET A BABY?! Maybe they custom built one because they know that's how monarchies are supposed to work? That would make it even more tragic; they could have just built an adult machine...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Snak posted:

Have you done Route B yet?

Nope! :v:
Just beat Route A in fact. LOL, the notification after the credits to replay the game to get the full experience was totally thrown in at the last second by SE.
Any thing in particular I should keep in mind in approaching the game from here?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Augus posted:

I don't know... We're too dumb to figure that out :saddowns:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love that being a "baby machine" or "child machine" are just concepts that you are, not stages of maturity. A baby machine is a baby machine forever because machines

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Nope! :v:
Just beat Route A in fact. LOL, the notification after the credits to replay the game to get the full experience was totally thrown in at the last second by SE.
Any thing in particular I should keep in mind in approaching the game from here?

Nothing to keep in mind, just keep playing...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nina posted:

I love that being a "baby machine" or "child machine" are just concepts that you are, not stages of maturity. A baby machine is a baby machine forever because machines

At least it's cute though

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sure is a cutie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beginning of Route B
Haha, I got ending G where 9S just fucks off to study machines forever. Love it.

...wait, gently caress now I need to carry that bucket again. YOKO TARO!!! :argh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Instant Grat posted:

In the menu that pops up when you hit CTRL + SHIFT + T, there's an option labeled "Nier Automata", it's under there. I think changing it in there resets when you close the game, but he might have updated that. The mod itself actually searches for updates when you launch the game, which is nifty.

I decided to take that poo poo out for a test-drive on the intro sequence and what do you know, it makes a MASSIVE difference. I still can't do a steady 60 on 1080p, unfortunately, but it allowed me to bump resolution to 900p and get some AA and textures working with barely any frame drops. V-Sync gives me some frame issues but I actually dislike using V-Sync for action games so there's that. At 1080p it sometimes drops about 10fps on action sequences, so if you're able to deal with that and some jaggies, there you go.

So if Platinum fixes fullscreen resolution stuff and the lightning issues, I guess the port goes from "bad" to "decent". It's not getting any awards for optimization, but I'll take an i3 and a 950 chugging a bit on a new release.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Beginning of Route B
Haha, I got ending G where 9S just fucks off to study machines forever. Love it.

...wait, gently caress now I need to carry that bucket again. YOKO TARO!!! :argh:

I was so busy laughing that I barely minded (same thing happened to me).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So I just went to the post-Flooded City area the Copied City (side note. drat. Thought I knew what was up with this game.), and rescued 9S. I'm still on Route A. Are there any 2B alone missions that I could be missing, or should I mainline the storyline until I get Yosuke back?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The only thing that's permanently missable is a joke ending related to an optional superboss. Just play the game, yo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So obvious question maybe, but is there actually any benefit to playing on higher difficulties? I'm decent at Platinum games but "every enemy hits three times as hard" mixed with the Dark Souls-esque equipment loss system doesn't seem like a great time.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

So obvious question maybe, but is there actually any benefit to playing on higher difficulties? I'm decent at Platinum games but "every enemy hits three times as hard" mixed with the Dark Souls-esque equipment loss system doesn't seem like a great time.

None at all except challenging yourself

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, there is no benefit whatsoever to playing on higher difficulties. The game is set up for you to play it on whatever difficulty you have the most fun with.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The game is definitely designed from ground up so that you're unable to play it in a way that'd make you feel like you're missing out on anything no matter what difficulty you play it on or what your dedication to completion is Hence the trophy shop. The sole exception is unlocking Emil's Determination but that's mainly meant as a boon to pre-existing Nier fans who are used to sidequest tedium.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Oxxidation posted:

Absolutely not. I mean, higher difficulties force you to more deeply engage with (or even care at all about) the more advanced systems like chip loadouts/fusing, temporary buffs or toggling between weapon sets mid combo, but whether that's a draw or a downside is entirely up to you. Nobody - including the devs - cares or judges you for playing on whatever you deem appropriate.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have only played on normal so far, and once I got a handle on combat, it was pretty easy for the second half of the game. But I'm looking forward to playing the whole game again on hard, just because. I haven't felt this way about wanting to re-experience a game's story since MGS3...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

The benefit is that you actually feel some tension during battles, because if you stay on normal past path A or so, the combat will be completely trivial.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At the same time, if you really just want to be focused on the story, it works pretty well. A big part of why combat became trivial for me was my chip set, which made it almost impossible for me to ever die, no matter how poorly I played.

I think I'm also going to swear off shockwave for my next playthrough, because it's kind a of tradeoff, granting "sloppy" damage at the expense of higher damage while playing well...

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I actually think hard mode is pretty fun, at least once you've got a decent selection of chips under your belt, 'cause the game gives you a lot of ways to make yourself incredibly survivable and on easy mode they kind of trivialize the game but on hard mode you really need to use them to their fullest. I turned on hard mode towards the beginning of route B and kept it on like 95% of the time through to ending E and beyond, only turning it back to normal if I really wanted to play things safe or if I was fighting something strong enough to oneshot me on hard. Having the threat of losing your equipment hanging over your head definitely makes it kind of stressful in a way I don't love, though, enough that it kind of made me wish I could just straight-up die and reload from my last checkpoint instead of keeping my progress but having to do a corpse run.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Opposing Farce posted:

I actually think hard mode is pretty fun, at least once you've got a decent selection of chips under your belt, 'cause the game gives you a lot of ways to make yourself incredibly survivable and on easy mode they kind of trivialize the game but on hard mode you really need to use them to their fullest. I turned on hard mode towards the beginning of route B and kept it on like 95% of the time through to ending E and beyond, only turning it back to normal if I really wanted to play things safe or if I was fighting something strong enough to oneshot me on hard. Having the threat of losing your equipment hanging over your head definitely makes it kind of stressful in a way I don't love, though, enough that it kind of made me wish I could just straight-up die and reload from my last checkpoint instead of keeping my progress but having to do a corpse run.

You can close the game in the death message screen and just reload if you don't wanna lose your chips. Although I guess that's a bit like cheating

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ugh my game was doing fine but now all of a sudden when I minimize it's giving me that white screen problem. I put like 40 hours into it before this started, what gives.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

So I was just about to buy it on PS4, but it's so expensive. Is there a more affordable non-day one edition coming soon?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nina posted:

You can close the game in the death message screen and just reload if you don't wanna lose your chips. Although I guess that's a bit like cheating
You don't even need to close the game, it doesn't actually affect your save it's loading from.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ClaytonClaw posted:

So I was just about to buy it on PS4, but it's so expensive. Is there a more affordable non-day one edition coming soon?

Day One editions are really the default editions these days. So it's highly unlikely until it goes on an actual sale someday

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I now learned that I made my way through the entirety of Route A without ever encountering Emil, which is very annoying.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Eve didn't make a whole lot of sense the first time around.

In hindsight, i guess he was right. It was all meaningless.

also why are the credits scrolling backwards

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nina posted:

Day One editions are really the default editions these days. So it's highly unlikely until it goes on an actual sale someday

Square Enix currently has box copies of the Day One edition of Final Fantasy XV for sale in their online store right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Also I now learned that I made my way through the entirety of Route A without ever encountering Emil, which is very annoying.

You ran into him when going through the shopping mall to get to the forest.