Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I love the front of the angry looking little FiST. The front plate doesn't even ruin it outright like some cars, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Quite A Tool posted:

I quit waffling like a bitch and purchased a vehicle.

Ended up with a '16 Magnetic Fiesta ST with Recaros.

And gratuitous odometer shot when I got home. It was meant to be.

Nice!

Seriously, that's my poo poo right there only with the ebony wheels and minus the Recaros...try to keep it on at least 3 wheels through the corners, cause if you haven't realized yet the FiST drives like the cartoon taxi from Roger Rabbit. If you are anything like me after I got mine that odometer will be at 6900mi by Memorial Day weekend...enjoy!!

Also in case you weren't aware the Sync3 update which allows you to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay is finally out after almost two years of Ford dragging rear end...I believe the update requires a trip to the dealership though unless you DIY like I did. My only complaint now is that my Bluetooth connection between my phone and Sync drops out and has to be re-paired at least 3 times a week (it might be on my end due to the phone/apps constantly updating, I really don't know).

PabloBOOM posted:

I love the front of the angry looking little FiST. The front plate doesn't even ruin it outright like some cars, for me at least.

Agree 100%...I kept a close eye on all my temps with my AP throughout the rather hot Summer we had in MA last year and I never saw anything high enough to make me consider immediately upgrading the stock intercooler as I'm pretty happy with where the car is (Stage 1 Protune from Randy at Mountune) and have no plans to track it at the moment. Of course YMMV, I'm sure if you are constantly driving in LA traffic it would likely be a different story.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 24, 2017

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PaintVagrant posted:

I just rolled 7000 miles in mine. No issues whatsoever other than my phone bluetooth dropping occasionally (all bluetooth is garbo) and the rear brakes making some weird rotational noise. I "fixed" the brake issue by disassembling them, cleaning the rotors w brake cleaner and putting it all back together. No idea what was causing it.

I have no complaints, great little car.

I believe that noise is usually caused by the caliper pins getting stuck, or so I've heard. I did not run into it in the 35k I had my 2014 ST.

Also I wish the Magnetic color was available when I bought mine, it's so good.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

I just rolled 7000 miles in mine. No issues whatsoever other than my phone bluetooth dropping occasionally (all bluetooth is garbo) and the rear brakes making some weird rotational noise. I "fixed" the brake issue by disassembling them, cleaning the rotors w brake cleaner and putting it all back together. No idea what was causing it.

I get that sound, almost exactly the same number of miles on my 16 Kona Blue.

Did you just pull and lube everything? It sounds like it's almost dragging, albeit very slightly. Rotor looks fine though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

howling_mad posted:

I get that sound, almost exactly the same number of miles on my 16 Kona Blue.

Did you just pull and lube everything? It sounds like it's almost dragging, albeit very slightly. Rotor looks fine though.

I actually didnt regrease the slide pins or anything. I just cleaned up the rotor faces and bolted everything back up. If it comes back I will check the slides for sure, I just hand compressed them and they moved fine so I slapped it back on.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm at 70k (it's a '14) and agree with you. I've had no problems and it's been a great car

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Now I just need an AP, a hybrid turbo, and an intercooler :getin:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm at 70k (it's a '14) and agree with you. I've had no problems and it's been a great car

Awesome...I've always forgotten to ask if any of the higher mileage FiST owners here have experienced any serious issues out of warranty.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

First Autocross is set for Sunday and it's going to be in the 40's and rainy. Debating just doing it in winter tires(not really).

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Summer tires are ok in the 40's. What is your non winter option?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wet and cold the winters might actually help. But I mean thats like that much sooner they'll need replaced :P

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I forgot to mark my Summer wheels when taking them off. Is there any way for me to tell which tire was where? Would have liked to rotate them or put them back in place.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KidDynamite posted:

I forgot to mark my Summer wheels when taking them off. Is there any way for me to tell which tire was where? Would have liked to rotate them or put them back in place.

I have a tire shelf and I put the lug nuts in an envelope. On the envelope I mark which tire is in which position on the shelf so when I swap the summers/winters back on I can rotate them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Stick to directional tires and at least all you have to do is take a tread depth gauge to them.

I always lose tire chalk, so I just always remove the tires counterclockwise starting at the driver's-side front, so when they're stacked it's DF/DR/PR/PF from bottom to top.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Autocross is so much fun but I am painfully slow. Funny thing though I immediately cut 7 seconds from my time after letting an instructor drive it and seeing where I could go fast. Going to try and be consistent in going to autox this year and see how more seat time affects my development of this skill. Looking ahead is very foreign. In RS specific things it's very fun getting the tail out in this thing, but I find it very difficult to get it back in shape smoothly it will just snap to, which I guess is a good thing but very jarring.

Edit: Link to fastest run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oa2lC-2T44

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

I just put the tires that are worn most on the rear since the front wears faster. They only spend 6 months a year on the car so they never get worn far enough to cause issues.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Do you all have that little indicator on your dashboards telling you when to shift? I am apparently not operating in what the car considers "optimal" gears but if I shift as early as the thing suggests it makes the response kinda sluggish. I guess it doesn't really matter, given that there isn't any penalty to just ignoring the indicator, but it's driving me slightly nuts.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Do you all have that little indicator on your dashboards telling you when to shift? I am apparently not operating in what the car considers "optimal" gears but if I shift as early as the thing suggests it makes the response kinda sluggish. I guess it doesn't really matter, given that there isn't any penalty to just ignoring the indicator, but it's driving me slightly nuts.

You can turn it off. It keeps it from bitching at you for driving with the windows down above 45 too.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

You can turn it off. It keeps it from bitching at you for driving with the windows down above 45 too.

Haha, I didn't even know it did that (but then how would it given that it's still below freezing outside).

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Is there any easy way to turn those shift notifications off and perhaps add the ability to roll the windows down when you hold down the unlock button on the key fob? I've read a thread on the focus forums about it but you have to buy Bluetooth adapters and download special software and all kinds of other steps. Like would the dealership do it when I take my car in for the lift gate recall if I ask them nicely?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

100% Dundee posted:

Is there any easy way to turn those shift notifications off and perhaps add the ability to roll the windows down when you hold down the unlock button on the key fob? I've read a thread on the focus forums about it but you have to buy Bluetooth adapters and download special software and all kinds of other steps. Like would the dealership do it when I take my car in for the lift gate recall if I ask them nicely?

On the RS they removed them with a PCM update that changed the engine oil life indicator as well. So they can do it, might as well ask nicely.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

100% Dundee posted:

The dealer will probably do it. One thing neat I discovered the other day, mostly because I had never bothered to care, using the door handle will roll down/up the windows with KESSY.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Bought a Golf R last night - CPO with a little more than 10k miles on it. Very excited and pleased with it thusly.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Bought a Golf R last night - CPO with a little more than 10k miles on it. Very excited and pleased with it thusly.

I think that's the best way to get one. Post some pics!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
My 2017 Focus RS window sticker just became available from Ford. It will be offloaded from the boat on March 31st, and then probably another month to go from port to my dealer. These next few weeks are going to go by so loving slowly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm contemplating trying to get someone to take over my lease after my car is all fixed up and doing something like this. What did it run you?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

fknlo posted:

I'm contemplating trying to get someone to take over my lease after my car is all fixed up and doing something like this. What did it run you?

A little more than 32k. I was looking at a new one for about 40 and couldn't justify it with the '15 on the lot in such good shape.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm sitting at my desk reading the manual today :unsmith:

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm sitting at my desk reading the manual today :unsmith:

Nothing wrong with that. In a few weeks summer driving season will be here!

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

After a year of looking, I'm finally buying a GTI! I found a '16 2-door S (Tornado) DSG with LP and PP! Only 690 miles and it is CPO. Car has to be pretty rare in this configuration. Fly up to Minneapolis Monday to get it and then drive back to FL. I'm sure we will get well acquainted on the drive home.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Radiohead71 posted:

After a year of looking, I'm finally buying a GTI! I found a '16 2-door S (Tornado) DSG with LP and PP! Only 690 miles and it is CPO. Car has to be pretty rare in this configuration. Fly up to Minneapolis Monday to get it and then drive back to FL. I'm sure we will get well acquainted on the drive home.

Is it a dealer demo? I cant figure out how someone would drive it 690 miles then sell it back to the dealer?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

D C posted:

Is it a dealer demo? I cant figure out how someone would drive it 690 miles then sell it back to the dealer?

That kinda interested me as well. If it's CPO it's been titled or something. I once came across a vehicle with like 100 miles on it being sold as CPO, the story the dealer gave was it was damaged during transit and since it had to be repaired, they couldn't sell it as new anymore.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skipdogg posted:

That kinda interested me as well. If it's CPO it's been titled or something. I once came across a vehicle with like 100 miles on it being sold as CPO, the story the dealer gave was it was damaged during transit and since it had to be repaired, they couldn't sell it as new anymore.

That's definitely not right. Cars get damaged in transit quite often. Mostly minor stuff but sometimes not.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I read the carfax and it was a corporate fleet car, so it must have been a business car that they leased for a year and got rid of?

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 31, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
One of my cars (a Mazdaspeed 3) was owned by a fleet for a few months and virtually no miles. Turns out it was part of a scam the fleet manager was running where he'd buy cars (often models wildly unsuitable for fleet use), keep them in a garage for a while then flip them off to one of his mates who would then sell back to the original dealer.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

dissss posted:

One of my cars (a Mazdaspeed 3) was owned by a fleet for a few months and virtually no miles. Turns out it was part of a scam the fleet manager was running where he'd buy cars (often models wildly unsuitable for fleet use), keep them in a garage for a while then flip them off to one of his mates who would then sell back to the original dealer.

please dont publish my business model

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dissss posted:

My Speed3 was also a fleet car by Mazda, with next to no miles...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

From bottom to top Fleet - private buyer - dealer - different dealer owned by the same group

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Radiohead71 posted:

I read the carfax and it was a corporate fleet car, so it must have been a business car that they leased for a year and got rid of?

I had access to that fleet pool. All I can say is good fuckin luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had access to that fleet pool. All I can say is good fuckin luck.

Can you elaborate please?