Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Fumaofthelake posted:

They have too many stores really, it's not a big deal some are closing.

There are 7 GameStop's within 8 miles of me. One of them is .1 miles away from another. Yes, they built a GameStop 528 ft. away from another GameStop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to have a card that just randomly generated a full credit card number, kinda like how an RSA keyfob does.

This is basically how the chip technology on credit cards works. Maybe in the future we'll have chip readers on our phone or computers so we can use them there instead of having a number at all on the card.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

McPhearson posted:

There are 7 GameStop's within 8 miles of me. One of them is .1 miles away from another. Yes, they built a GameStop 528 ft. away from another GameStop.

They probably built a Game stop 528ft. from a EB Games and kept both storefronts open when they got bought out.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Banks: Why doesn't everyone use a credit union?

For me, it's convenience. I can log into my bank's website and see my checking, savings, credit card, and mortgage all in one place, and pay bills/move money from the same portal.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

For me, it's convenience. I can log into my bank's website and see my checking, savings, credit card, and mortgage all in one place, and pay bills/move money from the same portal.

I can do that from my credit union's website too, plus their interest rates are way the gently caress better and their customer service owns bones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Silly Newbie posted:

As the poster above noted, this isn't really an issue with credit unions now. A little research should show you which of your local CUs have modern web portals.

The CU I use has a smartphone app, enabled fingerprint authentication for my account, allows out-of-network transfers and bill pay.

I have a car loan with them and they automatically deduct the monthly payment from my checking account, too. It's pretty neat.

The one drawback is limited branches to visit, but I can use in-network partner branches for deposits and whatnot. The customer service is pretty great as well.

Basically the only reason to use a big bank in a decently sized city is because it's easy to see their big ATM kiosks

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Silly Newbie posted:

lol yeah thats definitely not a list of things youve been able to do at every credit union in america for 5+ years

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There are bad credit unions out there too.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Goober Peas posted:

There are bad credit unions out there too.

I hate to be snarky... but... there is also the internet, which contains valuable information about other's experiences with any institution with mere seconds from a website called google.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, googling my credit union makes them sound pretty lovely. They have a horrible rating on Credit Karma and I have no idea why. They are absolutely incredible. It might be one of those things like health insurance companies where there's like no good reviews on any of them.

I also find doctors to be virtually unsearchable online. People always say to look for reviews for doctors but I never find anything work a drat. Before my wife chose which doctor she was going to use to give birth with, I googled her name like crazy and barely got anything. Like one website had maybe one review and there wasn't even a comment along with the review. This is for a popular doctor that has practiced for many years in a well-populated area. So I can see certain things being useless when searching on reviews.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

McPhearson posted:

there wolf posted:

They probably built a Game stop 528ft. from a EB Games and kept both storefronts open when they got bought out.

For years my local mall of <100 stores had 4 Gamestops, because they used to be (I believe?) a Gamestop, a Funcoland, an EB Games, and a Babbages and they all got bought and turned into Gamestops and presumably no one actually checked that they were all in the same building.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

For years my local mall of <100 stores had 4 Gamestops, because they used to be (I believe?) a Gamestop, a Funcoland, an EB Games, and a Babbages and they all got bought and turned into Gamestops and presumably no one actually checked that they were all in the same building.

I like to think that they all had a huge rivalry with each other and led to hilarious video game related prank wars and a softball team blood feud.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

I don't know if it's still the case but when big stores like them closed around here, they'd move out the "good" inventory to other stores and bring in an entirely different company to run the store in close out mode. Tons of "everything must go " signage but it's always old clearance poo poo that they actually raised prices on hoping to get suckers looking for a bargain.

Circuit city was one of the worst I found, tons of TVs that were at least a year old, marked down from their old msrp. You could get the same models for hundreds less elsewhere. I can't remember where it was, but one place like a bed bath and beyond actually brought in a bunch of cheap garbage the store didn't even normally sell.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mitztronic posted:

I hate to be snarky... but... there is also the internet, which contains valuable information about other's experiences with any institution with mere seconds from a website called google.

Agree 100% - I wanted to throw my comment out there as a counterpoint to the folks who think CUs are a magical place that are always better than banks. Some are, some aren't but in general yes, they are better.

I recently paid off an auto loan with a bad one, and let me tell you - they were as slimy as Wells Fargo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like to think that they all had a huge rivalry with each other and led to hilarious video game related prank wars and a softball team blood feud.

In reality it was just exhausting because when you walked into the first store and they didn't have what you were looking for they would call the other stores looking for it, so you stood around like an idiot while some teenager called stores you could literally shout to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

In reality it was just exhausting because when you walked into the first store and they didn't have what you were looking for they would call the other stores looking for it, so you stood around like an idiot while some teenager called stores you could literally shout to.

You could have just said, "I'll just walk over there. Thanks man." I'm sure the minimum wage teenager wouldn't have cared.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My parents used to take me to the Sears Outlet store for clothes which was just miserable. Nothing fit a teenage boy and all the brands were Dickie's before wearing that poo poo was hipster cool. In Tim Allen's early standup he had a bit where he compared shopping at the Sears Outlet to smashing your own balls with a wooden mallet. I tried to find that skit, but apparently he has a line of tools at Sears so he probably scrubbed that bit.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
A lot of local credit unions significantly lowered their membership standards and increased their advertising budgets after WaMu and other local banks went bust. For example, you just have to live or work in the state of Washington to join what used to be called "Boeing Employees Credit Union". Now we have a bunch of credit unions pretending to be retail banks. This has worked just fine for the last few years but I suspect the next recession won't be pretty.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

lavaca posted:

A lot of local credit unions significantly lowered their membership standards and increased their advertising budgets after WaMu and other local banks went bust. For example, you just have to live or work in the state of Washington to join what used to be called "Boeing Employees Credit Union". Now we have a bunch of credit unions pretending to be retail banks. This has worked just fine for the last few years but I suspect the next recession won't be pretty.

Not to mention credit union mergers/consolidation/expansion. First Tech is already in nine states. I belong to a smaller credit union but for all the talk about "members are owners" I've never been asked to vote on anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lavaca posted:

Speaking of companies pretending to be retail banks, what the gently caress is up with PayPal? I thought in the past decade or so they got dinged for basically acting as a bank minus the regulatory oversight but I haven't really heard anything about it since then.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
They're a bank in EU but not in the USA, they are probably using like every loophole in the book.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I switched from my local bank to Chase after like 20 years. Every time I wanted to buy a big item the bank would deny the transaction, call me, and ask if it was me buying it. Then I could swipe again usually and it would go through. When I bought my 70 inch tv I had to walk out of the store because it kept getting denied and the bank was closed because it was late at night. That poo poo was embarrassing, I felt like a poor. When it happened while buying my wife's engagement ring and poo poo I had had enough. Luckily it was early so it wouldn't be a problem getting it to go through. There was some pricing trickery at the store where each of the 3 bands were put through as separate purchases and it saved me money somehow. That lead to 3 goddamn phone calls, even after telling them that I was doing this on the first call. I just answered "yes it's me again, I approve the charges" each time.

So I went in the next day and told them "I was opening a new account with Chase, and wanted to close my account." I've been with this bank since I was a child. I had this long rant thought up about how I was tired of their poo poo and I was all ready to have it out about all there nonsense and how I'm tired of asking permission if I can spend my goddamn money. So the lady is like, "ok sir would you like the remaining balance in cash?" I said yes she gave me the money and I left. Nobody gave the slightest gently caress.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Why a low level frontline employee would give a gently caress about any customer leaving is beyond me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CubanMissile posted:

Why a low level frontline employee would give a gently caress about any customer leaving is beyond me.

Yeah. They just want to get you the gently caress out the door before you start yelling about a bunch of poo poo they can't control or change. I had the same experience closing my account at Wells Fargo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Harton posted:

I switched from my local bank to Chase after like 20 years. Every time I wanted to buy a big item the bank would deny the transaction, call me, and ask if it was me buying it. Then I could swipe again usually and it would go through. When I bought my 70 inch tv I had to walk out of the store because it kept getting denied and the bank was closed because it was late at night. That poo poo was embarrassing, I felt like a poor. When it happened while buying my wife's engagement ring and poo poo I had had enough. Luckily it was early so it wouldn't be a problem getting it to go through. There was some pricing trickery at the store where each of the 3 bands were put through as separate purchases and it saved me money somehow. That lead to 3 goddamn phone calls, even after telling them that I was doing this on the first call. I just answered "yes it's me again, I approve the charges" each time.

So I went in the next day and told them "I was opening a new account with Chase, and wanted to close my account." I've been with this bank since I was a child. I had this long rant thought up about how I was tired of their poo poo and I was all ready to have it out about all there nonsense and how I'm tired of asking permission if I can spend my goddamn money. So the lady is like, "ok sir would you like the remaining balance in cash?" I said yes she gave me the money and I left. Nobody gave the slightest gently caress.

I have had Chase credit card accounts for years and have never had this issue ever.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

monster on a stick posted:

I have had Chase credit card accounts for years and have never had this issue ever.

Reading is "FUN" damental

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

My parents used to take me to the Sears Outlet store for clothes which was just miserable. Nothing fit a teenage boy and all the brands were Dickie's before wearing that poo poo was hipster cool. In Tim Allen's early standup he had a bit where he compared shopping at the Sears Outlet to smashing your own balls with a wooden mallet. I tried to find that skit, but apparently he has a line of tools at Sears so he probably scrubbed that bit.
Because when I go shopping for tools, I go with the brand of a guy who played a poo poo repairman on TV twenty years ago. Then I go buy some Imperial Storm Trooper-branded gun sights.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah. They just want to get you the gently caress out the door before you start yelling about a bunch of poo poo they can't control or change. I had the same experience closing my account at Wells Fargo.

I try to find out why they're leaving at least. Most of the time it's to take advantage of a coupon for opening a new account elsewhere or because my bank charged them a fee they didn't like and we can't waive it because they've had like 10 fees waived in the last year. Then again, it doesn't matter to me in the slightest if they close an account.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Because when I go shopping for tools, I go with the brand of a guy who played a poo poo repairman on TV twenty years ago. Then I go buy some Imperial Storm Trooper-branded gun sights.

Recognizable brand name, nothing else matters.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Dude, they were missing on purpose.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sunswipe posted:

He's still playing a poo poo repair man who is hard core libertarian / trump supporter if you havent seen his new all in the family rip off. The show does not come off as satire at all like all in the family did? I've never actually seen an episode of all in the family.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All in the Family has the dubious honor of presenting a gruff, racist, set-in-his ways old white guy against the optimism and naïvete of youth

Watching it today is basically choosing between the racist grandpa and "lol these hippies think you shouldn't starve to death if you can't find a job and bust your rear end"

Last Man Standing is a well off sporting goods store owner and podcaster :circlefap: laughing at his privileged and out of touch liberal daughter doing stuff like protesting whale hunting in the Sahara while wearing a $300 Armani bra.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

All in the Family has the dubious honor of presenting a gruff, racist, set-in-his ways old white guy against the optimism and naïvete of youth

Watching it today is basically choosing between the racist grandpa and "lol these hippies think you shouldn't starve to death if you can't find a job and bust your rear end"

how in the world can you watch All In The Family and think you're supposed to agree with Archie

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

snergle posted:

He's still playing a poo poo repair man who is hard core libertarian / trump supporter if you havent seen his new all in the family rip off. The show does not come off as satire at all like all in the family did? I've never actually seen an episode of all in the family.

Cool

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alaois posted:

how in the world can you watch All In The Family and think you're supposed to agree with Archie

The alternative is agreeing with meathead?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ramos posted:

Recognizable brand name, nothing else matters.

Advertising is weird.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The alternative is agreeing with meathead?
Why do you have to agree with either of them? They're both set up to be an exemplar of their respective belief systems, and while they clearly get after Archie more, they're not afraid to call Meathead out on his bullshit either. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as good of a show if they gave the left a pass.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Last Man Standing is a well off sporting goods store owner and podcaster :circlefap: laughing at his privileged and out of touch liberal daughter doing stuff like protesting whale hunting in the Sahara while wearing a $300 Armani bra.

Looking forward to the episode where he gets put out of business by Cabela's

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

Not to mention credit union mergers/consolidation/expansion. First Tech is already in nine states. I belong to a smaller credit union but for all the talk about "members are owners" I've never been asked to vote on anything.

They typically have annual meetings where account holders come in and vote for things. They don't often advertise these well as most people don't give a poo poo, if you're interested in doing it call your CU and ask when it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Alaois posted:

As a dinosaur-old SA poster, I remember AITF's original run pretty well, and a metric fuckload of people agreed 100% with Archie, to the point where the show's writers and Caroll O'Connor were pretty upset over it.