Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mahoning posted:

Just a reminder for those that missed it: BestBuy.com will have the Switch and NES Classic for sale at 1pm ET.

Appreciate this. Showed my friends the switch and now they all want one but can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Black Stones posted:

Brosephine is 100% right that it rains way too loving often in Zelda. Every single time i decide I'm going to climb something a little bit high it'll start raining halfway up so I have to wait it out unless I want to warp and start all over again. I seriously had it one time where it rained, I waited for it to stop. Got almost near the top and it started raining again and 5 minutes had not even passed.

The rain system is the most hosed up thing I've ever seen in a game because it's literally a "stop the player from having any fun" mechanic and I can't believe people defend this poo poo but its in a Zelda game so it must be perfect. I actually don't really like the Zelda series, I got somewhat bored of it after OoT and I never played Skyward Sword because I hated Twilight Princess. However, I like BoTW. It changed a lot of stuff up and does a lot right, but still has a ton of bad stuff too.

You can still climb somewhat effectively in the rain, but the game never explains how to you. Link slips after his fifth move, whether it's a leap or just a standard grab. If you leap just before his fifth grab, you'll cover more ground than you lose. Stamina upgrades and the upgraded climbing armor set help a lot, but overall I agree; I groaned every time it started raining while I was climbing or interested in climbing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's really starting to look like I might top 200 hours.

i just hit 105 hours at 56 shrines and i still have exactly half the map blacked out, the whole left side. poo poo is insane.

i'm worried i won't finish it before the dlc hits and hard mode is gonna be some messed up loving sleep/eat survival mode with dark souls nameless king type of boss difficulty and my broken brain is gonna make me restart.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2017

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Tried buying Snake Pass, but got an error message that said "an error has occurred. Try again" or something. So I did and got the same message. Money had been taken twice from my account, but they have not appeared in the shop. That's pretty bad Nintendo!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

enojy posted:

You can still climb somewhat effectively in the rain, but the game never explains how to you. Link slips after his fifth move, whether it's a leap or just a standard grab. If you leap just before his fifth grab, you'll cover more ground than you lose. Stamina upgrades and the upgraded climbing armor set help a lot, but overall I agree; I groaned every time it started raining while I was climbing or interested in climbing.

Yeah it's possible to still climb if you got enough stamina recharge but it's not fun at all, might as well just look for a spot where you can light a fire and wait it out instead

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I use rain as an excuse to cook the grocery store load of ingredients i carry with me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That time where I was climbing a cliff in a snowy region, and then at the top was a regular area so right at the top it turned to rain and made me fall below to the ice water that made me have to restart from the island in the middle of the lake because I didn't have the Rito power yet and took some time crossing on drat Cryonis blocks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Phantasium posted:

That time where I was climbing a cliff in a snowy region, and then at the top was a regular area so right at the top it turned to rain and made me fall below to the ice water that made me have to restart from the island in the middle of the lake because I didn't have the Rito power yet and took some time crossing on drat Cryonis blocks.

It's a good story though? I love the oddball emergent gameplay in it so much.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Phantasium posted:

I went to get to that far island. I was boating my way there and stopped to cyro a chest. Then I realized if you really want to you could brute force it the whole way with cryo. What a good game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cool thing to do in the rain: talk to merchants, they're trying to make a sale when no one is buying so the prices are lower and the items are better

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly wish the Zora suit didn't let you swim up waterfalls and they just made you use Cryo to climb waterfalls more because that was a cool use of the ability and made me feel great when I remembered that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I honestly wish the Zora suit didn't let you swim up waterfalls and they just made you use Cryo to climb waterfalls more because that was a cool use of the ability and made me feel great when I remembered that.

I got that early, I think you are supposed to get that early if you follow the main quest and go for the closest dot. But some goon just said they only have the western map uncovered. Which is kind of mind blowing to me. They wont get that until 100 hours in. Super good.

When I play again years from now when I forget stuff I will run straight for Rito. Because hell yeah exploration aid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I just wish it didn't do that at all. takes a really cool use of cryo away.

Like using cryo to make a small perch at the bottom of a waterfall and using Revali's gale to climb it instead.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment for a public service announcment: Don't Buy off the Amazon Market Place.

After a failed attempt to get one after waiting about an hour at my local GameStop I decide to bite the bullet and buy one from a third party through Amazon’s Marketplace. When I looked at the prices however I saw that the current cheapest Switch for sale was going for about $280. It did seem strange to me that a hard to find item like the Switch was going for less than retail price. Nevertheless, I decide to buy it. A few days later I decided to check the current status of it and saw that the seller did not give me a tracking number. I then decided to contact the seller to request the tracking number, but I then saw the seller now had a customer satisfaction rating of one star. I checked the customer reviews and saw that all the reviews said that the seller was a scamming them, never actually sending the Switches at all despite sending out notifications that they did. I then called Amazon up and explained that I ordered a Switch from this person and was now learning that I might have been scammed. The rep I was talking to said that she could send a letter the the seller saying I was demanding to see a tracking number for my Switch, then if I still didn’t have the number in two days to call again and they will go from there. However the next morning I got a email from Amazon saying my money was being refunded in full. This was over the span of about five days and all I have to show for it is disappointment once again that I won’t be getting a Switch.

I did a little research and saw that scammers flooding the Amazon Marketplace is not a new problem, especially with high demand items like the Switch. Here is how this particular scam works.

1: Post a listing for a item at less than retail cost and wait for someone to buy it.
2: Send the notification to the customer that their item is on the way but don’t actually send anything.
3: Hope that the customer remains obvlious long enough for Amazon to send the scammer the money from the sale. This usually happens every fourteen days so the scammer will tell the customer to expect their item in about fourteen days.
4: If step three is successful, The customer will then realise they just got ripped off and go to Amazon to demand a refund. Which Amazon will have to pay out of their own pocket for.

The whole thing has just made me angry. Maybe it is my fault though for thinking I could just buy a Switch for under $300. Maybe it’s my fault that I thought it would be unnecessary to preorder a Switch, because why would Nintendo treat the Switch the same as the NES Classic or the Amiibos. I could also try again to buy off of the Amazon Marketplace but as I write this, the current lowest listing for the Switch is $149.97 and the next ten or so listings are under $200. There is no way any of these listings could be real, right?. Either a massive defect has been discovered in the Switch that would cause the demand for these things to plummet or Amazon has a massive issue with what goes on on their own storefront. Last I heard the desyncing with the left Joycon wasn’t that big of an issue so I’m willing to believe the latter.

So, yeah. Stay off Amazon Marketplace.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^ Don't want to be an rear end in a top hat. But that the hell are you thinking? Can't find one of these anywhere, all sold out, but here's one below cost!!! No red flags there? Glad you got your money back and I have been interested to see how amazon handles scams. I sell games on there occasionally and it pisses me off that its getting a bad reputation.

Kashuno posted:

Yeah but I just wish it didn't do that at all. takes a really cool use of cryo away.

Like using cryo to make a small perch at the bottom of a waterfall and using Revali's gale to climb it instead.

You still can though?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 29, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

cryo on waterfalls is cool but also fussy, I'm glad there's a quicker way to do it that's also very cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment for a public service announcment: Don't Buy off the Amazon Market Place.

After a failed attempt to get one after waiting about an hour at my local GameStop I decide to bite the bullet and buy one from a third party through Amazon’s Marketplace. When I looked at the prices however I saw that the current cheapest Switch for sale was going for about $280. It did seem strange to me that a hard to find item like the Switch was going for less than retail price. Nevertheless, I decide to buy it. A few days later I decided to check the current status of it and saw that the seller did not give me a tracking number. I then decided to contact the seller to request the tracking number, but I then saw the seller now had a customer satisfaction rating of one star. I checked the customer reviews and saw that all the reviews said that the seller was a scamming them, never actually sending the Switches at all despite sending out notifications that they did. I then called Amazon up and explained that I ordered a Switch from this person and was now learning that I might have been scammed. The rep I was talking to said that she could send a letter the the seller saying I was demanding to see a tracking number for my Switch, then if I still didn’t have the number in two days to call again and they will go from there. However the next morning I got a email from Amazon saying my money was being refunded in full. This was over the span of about five days and all I have to show for it is disappointment once again that I won’t be getting a Switch.

I did a little research and saw that scammers flooding the Amazon Marketplace is not a new problem, especially with high demand items like the Switch. Here is how this particular scam works.

1: Post a listing for a item at less than retail cost and wait for someone to buy it.
2: Send the notification to the customer that their item is on the way but don’t actually send anything.
3: Hope that the customer remains obvlious long enough for Amazon to send the scammer the money from the sale. This usually happens every fourteen days so the scammer will tell the customer to expect their item in about fourteen days.
4: If step three is successful, The customer will then realise they just got ripped off and go to Amazon to demand a refund. Which Amazon will have to pay out of their own pocket for.

The whole thing has just made me angry. Maybe it is my fault though for thinking I could just buy a Switch for under $300. Maybe it’s my fault that I thought it would be unnecessary to preorder a Switch, because why would Nintendo treat the Switch the same as the NES Classic or the Amiibos. I could also try again to buy off of the Amazon Marketplace but as I write this, the current lowest listing for the Switch is $149.97 and the next ten or so listings are under $200. There is no way any of these listings could be real, right?. Either a massive defect has been discovered in the Switch that would cause the demand for these things to plummet or Amazon has a massive issue with what goes on on their own storefront. Last I heard the desyncing with the left Joycon wasn’t that big of an issue so I’m willing to believe the latter.

If it is too good to be true, it is. Number one rule.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The scammers trying to one up each other with lower and lower prices is hilarious to me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

None of those listings are real you shouldn't be even gambling on something below market value when it's impossible to find. This scam has been going since the 90s with Ebay.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CongoJack posted:

The scammers trying to one up each other with lower and lower prices is hilarious to me.

Goon considering trying again is hilarious to me.

BigRed, demand didn't plummet when its sold out everywhere.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

"Maybe it's my fault I fell for an obvious scam."

Yes. It is. I don't mean to poo poo on you but seriously, this is your fault.

I'm glad you got your money back but the fact you fell for this perpetuates these scams until Amazon can figure out a way to shut this poo poo down.

Which is doubtful.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Norns posted:

I use rain as an excuse to cook the grocery store load of ingredients i carry with me.

I do this, too, but I still wish there was something that could help you climb even in the rain. Like how in the Wind Wake HD remaster they added the red sail in. All I need is some kind of climbing gloves or mountain boots, Nintendo. Don't punish me with your stupid rain when I'm trying to climb. This would be an excellent addition to a season pass DLC, Nintendo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

snake is healthy, thanks for showing concern

this made me laugh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess it hasn't really been an issue for be at all since I did the Rito quest. After that the places I had left to explore were desert, volcano, and tundra, where rain just didn't happen. Then if it was raining and I needed to get up, I had something for that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe Nintendo should fix their boring broken climbing system instead of charging us to fix it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

FWIW, Best Buy is restocking Switch and NES classic today at 1PM EST.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beastie posted:

"Maybe it's my fault I fell for an obvious scam."

Yes. It is. I don't mean to poo poo on you but seriously, this is your fault.

I'm glad you got your money back but the fact you fell for this perpetuates these scams until Amazon can figure out a way to shut this poo poo down.

Which is doubtful.

The funny part is he is considering falling for one again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Maybe Nintendo should fix their boring broken climbing system instead of charging us to fix it.

And yet as I play Horizon Zero Dawn, and my person cant get over a chest high wall, I wish to all the nerd gods in existence for the Zelda climbing system.

It could be improved but its not broken and its very refreshing and I never new how much I would miss it now that I'm doing "walk around until you see the path you are allowed to go" poo poo tier puzzles in lauded Horizon.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The funny part is he is considering falling for one again.

Yeah that's the part I can't fathom. "On the one hand I can find them anywhere. On the other hand there's joy-con issues so supply and demand means I should be able to find one for half price...."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think that anytime something happens in a game that inconveniences me, the devs should have taken that into account and given me a 100% free way to remove that obstacle. All instances should cater to me, personally.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah that's the part I can't fathom. "On the one hand I can find them anywhere. On the other hand there's joy-con issues so supply and demand means I should be able to find one for half price...."

That's not what I meant. I Meant that "No one could be possibly be selling them for this price."

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Takoluka posted:

I think that anytime something happens in a game that inconveniences me, the devs should have taken that into account and given me a 100% free way to remove that obstacle. All instances should cater to me, personally.

I think that anytime something happens in a game that inconveniences me, the devs should have taken that into account and given me a 100% fun or interesting way to remove that obstacle. All instances should cater to me, personally.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I wish you could climb every mountain like in Zelda in Horizon? Yes, but Horizons system is way less annoying and unobtrusive because you'll actually know you'll be able to get where your going if you go the right way instead of having to gamble with a rng system and be forced to not play the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Do I wish you could climb every mountain like in Zelda in Horizon? Yes, but Horizons system is way less annoying and unobtrusive because you'll actually know you'll be able to get where your going if you go the right way instead of having to gamble with a rng system and be forced to not play the game.

Zelda climbing has no rng? Unless you mean rain, which you can see 10 minutes into your future on the hud at all times.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bombadilillo posted:

I think that anytime something happens in a game that inconveniences me, the devs should have taken that into account and given me a 100% fun or interesting way to remove that obstacle. All instances should cater to me, personally.

When it rains, I find a new or better way to scale walls. After some time spent learning and experiments, it's actually very simple!

Or maybe I don't climb for 5 minutes. BotW sucks.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The right way being an awfully hard to see white handhold on snowy mountains, I loved Horizon but holy poo poo that climbing needs an overhaul easily the worst part of the game (no wait it was the stand around waiting for audiologs to finish lore drops). Even if they had an option to make them bright red or another distinctive colour.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Rain isn't that bad for me. I just get under a tree and start a fire to cook or wait. If i'm mid-climb I'll just put down the controller or console and go grab a ginger ale or take a quick smoke break.

I guess it could ruin your immersion. I've done my fair share of climbing. Mostly the rain starts right as I'm about to grab the wall.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerepol posted:

The right way being an awfully hard to see white handhold on snowy mountains, I loved Horizon but holy poo poo that climbing needs an overhaul easily the worst part of the game (no wait it was the stand around waiting for audiologs to finish lore drops). Even if they had an option to make them bright red or another distinctive colour.

Oh I agree but atleast I don't have to sit there and wait like in Zelda, I can actively figure out the problem or run around. With Zelda you just have to wait unless you want to spend ten minutes running around to the other side.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

Hmm I saw rain as a challenge

Also, it makes certain weapons better or worse, makes certain critters and things appear, and it's not like you can't climb if you do the 4climb1Jump technique. It limits your climbing earlier in the game but less so later, so regardless of what direction you go in it puts higher things more out of easy reach and that is a good and clever mechanic

The one thing I haven't really liked and wasn't at all clever was just being stopped by an invisible wall and told NOPE at the map edge. Why is there obviously walkable land and no contrived story reason to stop me? Just nope. That was lazy and the only thing I can say that about so far (100+ hours in )

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

I've been playing Horizon after Zelda, the fact that I can't just climb poo poo is irritating. Also, all the climbable stuff is yellow, and isn't very noticeable. It's loving dumb, and Breath of the Wild is a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Takoluka posted:

When it rains, I find a new or better way to scale walls. After some time spent learning and experiments, it's actually very simple!

Or maybe I don't climb for 5 minutes. BotW sucks.

Not sure who you think you are arguing with but you crossed some posts.

• Locked thread