Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, that's HDMI-CEC. HDCP is the copyright encryption protocol for HD video.

So I looked it up and this has to be enabled to also record gameplay which I actually do a fair amount, is there any other fix for this HDR issue, as far as like firmware for the TV or anything?

Will they probably come out with one eventually if there isn't? I heard it already got resolved on I think the B6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You lose HDR on the E-series, don't you? I'd say that's a big loss.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've got a 65" KS8000 for about 5 months now and love it, have it all mounted up with the audio right, and I'm wondering the best way to feed it 4K UHD content.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've got a 65" KS8000 for about 5 months now and love it, have it all mounted up with the audio right, and I'm wondering the best way to feed it 4K UHD content.

Mine is being mounted today while I'm at work. I'm just planning on netflix/amazon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are the top streaming sources.

UHD Blu-ray players can be had as low as $150 now, so discs are an option of it's something you really want.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are the top streaming sources.

UHD Blu-ray players can be had as low as $150 now, so discs are an option of it's something you really want.

What's the point of a $150 UHD-Blu-ray player when an Xbone S is frequently $200 or $225?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Xbone S is also the worst UHD-Blu-ray player so if you don't care about Xbone games why not save a few bucks?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

The Xbone S is also the worst UHD-Blu-ray player so if you don't care about Xbone games why not save a few bucks?

Ding ding ding.

I have a high end gaming PC, so I have no use for the Xbone and it's only next week getting bitstream support for audio.

Also, standalone players have dual HDMI outputs which is handy if you have a legacy receiver.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

You lose HDR on the E-series, don't you? I'd say that's a big loss.

Yeah that's what I'm saying I would like to have hdr on but apparently it makes it so I have to disable gameplay recording and Netflix and poo poo which I also don't really want to do and there's no reason I should have to on a fuckin 3000 dollar tv

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:bandwagon: Recently replaced my what I thought was big and pretty at the time 40" refurb Sceptre with a 65 KS8000 and ddaaayyuuummmm!

Been trying to do my goon nerd due diligence finding media to use all the fancy schmancy stuff and here's my .02c / I too hope other folks have some better answers:
Slightly outdated lists of content sources: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/where-to-find-4k-movies-and-content, https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U8FKmbcZ4oM/learn/4k-tv-content-whats-out-there-and-how-to-get-it.html

Netflix and Amazon do really well with providing their original content in 4k+HDR
More general Netflix/Amazon stuff is there 4k with no HDR
Ultraflix has 4k rentals, maybe starting to roll out HDR
Vudu has 4k+ rentals, only does Dolby HDR so that's a no for Samsung people, may be adding HDR10 soon which is Samsung compatible
Fandango Now does 4k rentals, and has some HDR stuff but it requires buying a USB hard drive and not enough comes up for me in googling (Vidity is a buzzword) to make it sound worthwhile..? If anyone's tried that and there's a ~$50 or whatever drive out there that definitely works I'd love to know, what I came up with is a $400 official one from Samsung or there's a WD Passport that may or may not work right and haven't seen a way to browse the HDR movies for Fandango to see if it's enough to be worth the effort :shrug:
Discs: Best quality, $150+ for a player, buy the discs good luck finding rental

So I'm using Netflix/Amazon originals and PS4 games for HDR content, going to try Amazon/FandangoNow when I get around to renting something in 4k, and be hosed if I want to pay to rent Hollywood stuff in HDR until maybe I break down and go the physical media route and I guess re-sell the discs on Amazon after watching them. I'm mostly mad I can't give anyone money to watch the technology showcase Planet Earth 2 with HDR without putting another drat device and disc box on the shelf. Hooray for having a PS4 backlog in the meantime!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying I would like to have hdr on but apparently it makes it so I have to disable gameplay recording and Netflix and poo poo which I also don't really want to do and there's no reason I should have to on a fuckin 3000 dollar tv

Update if anyone cares or is thinkin about getting the E6: I updated the firmware to 4.30.95 and everything is fine now, HDR enabled, no black screens.

For some reason the TV didn't think there were any updates available so I had to manually put it on a USB stick but it updated fine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, LG does really slow rollouts OTA for some reason, lagging by months. USB is usually much easier.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I'd get either that E series or the M65. As a non-AV guy you're really not gonna notice and neither of those TVs are "premium black level" tvs anyway.

What's gonna happen is you're gonna buy it, worry about black levels, maybe feel they aren't quite what you want, and then forget about it all and just be enjoying your new TV within a week anyway!

You're right. I'm not an A/V guy. Just gonna get the 70 inch with a real remote.

I couldn't care less about HDR support.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

(Edit) the E70-E3 supposedly sports HDR anyway but not important to me.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 1, 2017

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a known reason why, for the second time in a few weeks, my KS8000 suddenly stops offering two picture modes: Movie and Natural? The only choices are Dynamic and Standard. The other two aren't even there and grayed out, just gone. Furthermore, a lot of Expert Settings are grayed out, like I can't turn on two of the three Special Viewing modes (Game, Sports, idk what the third is). Most of the expert settings are grayed out as well (this may be intended behavior in Standard mode, not sure).

Last time this happened I had to reset everything, I believe. Not the end of the world but if it's going to keep happening it's going to get annoying so I'd like to know if there's something specific I'm doing wrong. All the crap I have hooked up (including the TV) is updated to the latest software/firmware, I can list sources and cables if it is important.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

uwaeve posted:

Is there a known reason why, for the second time in a few weeks, my KS8000 suddenly stops offering two picture modes: Movie and Natural? The only choices are Dynamic and Standard. The other two aren't even there and grayed out, just gone. Furthermore, a lot of Expert Settings are grayed out, like I can't turn on two of the three Special Viewing modes (Game, Sports, idk what the third is). Most of the expert settings are grayed out as well (this may be intended behavior in Standard mode, not sure).

Last time this happened I had to reset everything, I believe. Not the end of the world but if it's going to keep happening it's going to get annoying so I'd like to know if there's something specific I'm doing wrong. All the crap I have hooked up (including the TV) is updated to the latest software/firmware, I can list sources and cables if it is important.

Are you in Game mode or is the input named PC?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man, almost bought an xbone, because it was already $200.

What's the best bluray player right now, is it the samsung k8500? Should I just wait for this year's model? I'm trying to spend less than $200, but I'm also wanting to watch planet earth 2, which I didn't realize wouldn't be a 4k plus regular bluray.

What makes the xbone s the worst UHD blu-ray player?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Xbone s is actually the best bluray player lol

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Are you in Game mode or is the input named PC?

Not game mode, all the special modes are off (and two were grayed out). The input shouldn't be named PC, but now that you mention it, I had seen PC and wondered what was going on. The situation has since resolved itself and all my options are back, and no inputs are calling themselves PC. Idk what is happening to be honest.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'd argue that the Xbone S is the best UHD player available.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Am I crazy or are there no HBO apps for LG TVs? Got my mom a new TV and she wants HBO now but it doesn't seem to exist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, LG WebOS doesn't have HBO Go or HBO Now.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No, LG WebOS doesn't have HBO Go or HBO Now.

What a bummer. Have to do Apple TV or Roku or something then. What's the cheapest option?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Roku express or fire stick I think?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I think technically a chromecast is the cheapest option if you are open with having to control it from another device.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably not the most parent friendly solution

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yeah it's fine for UHD original content on the Netflix or Amazon apps on the KS8000, but if I get a XBone S won't it force game mode on that input anyway? Doesn't that mess up a lot of what I'm trying for?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah it's fine for UHD original content on the Netflix or Amazon apps on the KS8000, but if I get a XBone S won't it force game mode on that input anyway? Doesn't that mess up a lot of what I'm trying for?

Unless Samsung does something real weird, game mode is a setting you enable on your TV, not decided from the console. I could play video games with a nightmare combination of smoothing effects and other filters that'll add 100ms of lag to the inputs, the TV won't stop you from doing that.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have a xbones and ks8000, the game mode setting is something you force, not something where the tv auto detects something. UHD HDR blu rays work and look great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who knows anything about TV repair? There is a 47" LG at a local pawn shop in their "handyman corner" that "wont stay on". Its only 99 bucks, to me that seems like its probably an easy fix, but I dont know much about the internals of LCD's and have never had one apart. Its an LG 47LK520. Girlfriend has a little old 32" Samsung in her basement so if its not a tough fix I wouldn't mind paying $99 for it for her as an upgrade.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

codo27 posted:

Who knows anything about TV repair? There is a 47" LG at a local pawn shop in their "handyman corner" that "wont stay on". Its only 99 bucks, to me that seems like its probably an easy fix, but I dont know much about the internals of LCD's and have never had one apart. Its an LG 47LK520. Girlfriend has a little old 32" Samsung in her basement so if its not a tough fix I wouldn't mind paying $99 for it for her as an upgrade.

Maybe see if you have a Repair Cafe in your area?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Power board for that TV looks to be about $50. Might be worth a gamble if that's what the problem is it would be a simple fix.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

It's usually capacitors in that case. Probably a .25 fix, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The Samsung 8500d 4k Blu-ray player popped up on Slickdeals for $179 free shipping (https://slickdeals.net/f/10020148-samsung-4k-3d-blu-ray-player-under-199-see-checkout-for-details-free-shipping?src=catpagev2). Not low enough for me to bite to get on some Planet Earth 2 action, but someone in the comments said the players are about to be discontinued and are expecting there to be price drops to clean inventory the next few weeks. *crossing my fingers*

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I sent that price rewind info for my E6 in like 15 days ago and they said they'd respond within 14 days but haven't, so now I'm startin to sweat it a little bit. It's not a huge deal, I really love this TV and I'm sure I'll get $2800 of use out of it since I plan on keeping it a long time, but getting the $500 back would be pretty cool

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

teh_Broseph posted:

The Samsung 8500d 4k Blu-ray player popped up on Slickdeals for $179 free shipping (https://slickdeals.net/f/10020148-samsung-4k-3d-blu-ray-player-under-199-see-checkout-for-details-free-shipping?src=catpagev2). Not low enough for me to bite to get on some Planet Earth 2 action, but someone in the comments said the players are about to be discontinued and are expecting there to be price drops to clean inventory the next few weeks. *crossing my fingers*

Mmm, keep us posted about this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There have been xbone slims for $200

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Philips UHD player has been $149 at Target for weeks and it's a good player. I haven't had any issues with mine. It looks to be using the same SoC as the much more expensive Panasonic player.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I also endorse the Philips UHD player, if you just want a UHD player and don't need it to do anything else

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I use my blueray player to play CDs (piped into my receiver) but I now run all video into the TV and thence to the receiver, because the receiver doesn't pass through 4k.

So, if I get a new 4k blueray, what should I do with the audio, in order to both send video + audio to the TV when watching a video, but also just send audio to the receiver when I'm listening to a CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any reason you wouldn't want audio going to the receiver when watching movies?

All of the standalone UHD player have dual HDMI out right now so you can plug one directly into the TV for video (bypassing an older receiver) and the 2nd HDMI is audio only to the receiver.