Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

@lowtax twitter posted:

lol Brianna Wu. RT this whenever you think of retarded melty creature Brianna Wu and laugh.

Let's Play Zone rules posted:

Trigger warnings are here to stay.

Don't bother complaining about their existence. We feel they are important for the site to have, and complaining about their existence or mocking them will only serve to net you a probation.

I think I've cracked the case. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Who exactly was banned/left? Also, can I have a link to the twitter drama?

Teledahn posted:

Curious about this myself. Not concerned about the twitter drama but a very brief summary would be welcome.

I know Pychadelic Eyeball was banned, but I don't know if he's part of this LP Zone stuff.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm wanting to say Voidburger was also in that, and a few people threw themselves in the pile of martyrdom like TieTuesday. But it's good that some of those people found a new home I suppose; just seems like out of most of the forums, the LP sub-forum is the least toxic and least probated area and people can be mostly fine here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think one of my favourite moments in Old LPs was during Slowbeef's run of Metroid Prime at the Phazon Mines, where Blister revealed that he literally gave his right testicle for a super nintendo (The story as he explained it went that he got a testicular torsion on the day it came out, and he refused to go to the hospital until his mum took him to get the new game first. Of course the torsion went on for too long and he lost the testicle).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Or when Blister decided to make a video of himself naked for the Left 4 Dead thread with the game footage going behind him. Man, Blister is missed.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I just think the whole Lowtax boycott would make more sense if they ditched a site he actually visits regularly instead.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Thank Lowtax for taking out the trash.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Xenosaga Pied Piper Or: What am I even doing with my life at this point?

So what is this anyway?

Xenosaga: Pied Piper is a mobile phone game released in 2004 in Japan as a side story from the main trilogy as a way to flesh out one of the main characters, in this case, Ziggy. It takes place 100 years before the events of Xenosaga 1, and chronicles his journey to track down the cyber-terrorist known only as Voyager.

So how are you going to be playing this?

I'm not.

Wait, what?

The thing is, it's basically impossible to play this game anymore, as this is about as inaccessible as you can get. However, there is one remaining part of this game that has survived, and that's a script covering the main scenes in the game. No optional dialogue, just the main story. I originally planned to just draw stick figures for screenshots but I think that would get old very fast. So instead, I'm going to do something different. I'm going to turn this into audio drama. And that is where you all reading this come in.

As much as I would love to do every single voice and butcher every woman's dialogue horribly, I think it would be more interesting to get the subforum involved and cast out the roles. Since the script has fallen into the web archive, I'd like to preserve this in whatever way I can.

I have a Google doc that explains the roles and rules in further detail here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18xCFr1vSRMHlsb9cQmCFj8_-uASDcsOP7xidChg4CEA/edit?usp=sharing

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Can I get a second opinion on this?

Which subtitle works better? Game is quite dark most of the time, I think the 'regular' subs stand out a bit too much:

Bottom, 100% opacity.

So I tried playing with the opacity:

Bottom, 75% opacity.

Bottom, 50% opacity.

They're basically the same I used For Metro: Last Light, but in LL they were at the top of the screen since the game's were at the bottom and I wanted to avoid overlapping, but I don't think they work very well here:
Top, 100% opacity

Thanks!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 3, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I like this one the best.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Turtlicious posted:

I like this one the best.

I'm between that one (50%) and 75%, so I split the difference:

75%

66%

50%

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, I've got the first episode recorded. I can go back and record again if you see any big problems.

Stardew Valley #01 - Harvest Goon

So I guess the thread is ready to go, let me know what you guys think. Should I go forward with this?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The intro sound is obnoxious and the end card is unnecessary and also annoying.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I don't mind the intro sound, but yeah, that end card I can do without.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Who exactly was banned/left? Also, can I have a link to the twitter drama?
Some folks changed their twitter feeds to private/protected, so here's a bunch of screencaps from archived stuff that was floating around. Also a bit late..

From what I remember it was in the aftermath of the Shmorky shitshow, where Lowtax did a livestream with his kid where IIRC they made fun of him, a bunch of goons called Lowtax out for being, in their eyes, a lovely exploitative parent, and got banned for it.

Which led to a bunch of goons posting autobans/shitposts.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm between that one (50%) and 75%, so I split the difference:

50% looks really good to me

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lohli posted:

Some folks changed their twitter feeds to private/protected, so here's a bunch of screencaps from archived stuff that was floating around. Also a bit late..

From what I remember it was in the aftermath of the Shmorky shitshow, where Lowtax did a livestream with his kid where IIRC they made fun of him, a bunch of goons called Lowtax out for being, in their eyes, a lovely exploitative parent, and got banned for it.

Which led to a bunch of goons posting autobans/shitposts.

That tells me enough, thanks.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
What is the best way to show videos that is below 5 seconds? I was thinking either gifs or webms. I will be putting cutscenes as videos but showing off special moves and other small moments is the main problem.

For the time being I will be using webms but I don't know if the LP Archive will be able to use them.

Also, what is the best place to link music? I have noticed that some LP's are using Youtube or Tindeck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The issue with webms, and this may have been changed since the last time I encountered it, is that if you have too many, it can really strain some computers. Though, like I said, I think it may have been changed so that webms don't autoplay anymore, which would solve it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Supeerme posted:

Also, what is the best place to link music? I have noticed that some LP's are using Youtube or Tindeck.

If they're below, I think, 10mb you can use LPix for MP3s but there isn't really any one good spot for them at the moment since Tindeck is in a constant flux of dead-not dead-down-not down even moreso than when it was "good." It's pretty much up to whatever you feel most comfortable using but I think the thing I see most used as a non-YT alternative at the moment is something called Clyp though I can't speak for its viability.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just link to existing Youtube uploads, because I'm a lazy bum and that also doesn't require me to have all the music on my computer or upload anything myself. The main drawback to this approach is the fact there's always the risk of those uploads being taken down.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Ok it seems that the songs are way too large, (like 40MB+ WAV for some reason.) So I will have to upload it onto youtube. I will use both gif and webms in the test posts so we can choose which is better.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Supeerme posted:

Ok it seems that the songs are way too large, (like 40MB+ WAV for some reason.) So I will have to upload it onto youtube. I will use both gif and webms in the test posts so we can choose which is better.

I mean, you could always convert the file to something more compressed, but going with YT is usually a pretty solid bet for game music.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

TheMcD posted:

I mean, you could always convert the file to something more compressed, but going with YT is usually a pretty solid bet for game music.

Yeah. I will be uploading the songs onto Youtube.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
got my new LP of Joe and Mac 2 for everybody please review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpRLPe9s9Q

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Putty posted:

got my new LP of Joe and Mac 2 for everybody please review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpRLPe9s9Q

solid l.p. My man loving the game and costume cam subscribed and slapped that like button

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I slap like buttons like as to if they were drenched with the creamy gravy sauce of the gravy cream

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I slap like buttons like as to if they were drenched with the creamy gravy sauce of the gravy cream

Remove the face cam and I think you're set.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mega64 posted:

Remove the face cam and I think you're set.

poo poo I thought this was putty's thread

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

boy are my arms tired posted:

solid l.p. My man loving the game and costume cam subscribed and slapped that like button

what costume

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No one better be talking poo poo about lazycat619 in this thread.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, I'll shitcan the outro and go ahead with the thread when I get the chance to re-edit and re-upload. Any last minute stuff? Is the actual content ok?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
generally: no news is good news.

if people arenèt complaining about it, then itès probably fine.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I want to make a custom scenario for Advanced Tactics Gold to use in an LP where a lot of the game's framework is replaced by players voting on stuff during peacetime in order to prepare their army for war, then actually seeing if the force they create works in practice. Think Rule the Waves, or maybe a little bit of Europa Universalis-style events.

Is it kosher to milk this thread for inspiration for preparing a scenario while posting semi-regular progress reports?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dragonatrix posted:

If they're below, I think, 10mb you can use LPix for MP3s but there isn't really any one good spot for them at the moment since Tindeck is in a constant flux of dead-not dead-down-not down even moreso than when it was "good." It's pretty much up to whatever you feel most comfortable using but I think the thing I see most used as a non-YT alternative at the moment is something called Clyp though I can't speak for its viability.

I find that Clyp seems to be working well for me. They do place a 100 MB limit per uploaded track for free accounts, so that's something to keep in mind if your music tracks have large file sizes.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

lohli posted:

I was mildly curious what the heck that Shmorky shitshow was am not best pleased for doing so.

The below is taken from Lowtax's youtube channel description and seriously :wtf: :nms:

Lowtax posted:

FYI: The older videos with the co-host who sounded like an elf on helium is no longer associated with this channel. You see, he was an animator for my site (Something Awful) for a decade. Then he began using Tumblr. A LOT. Soon he turned into this genderless blob that was convinced his doctor (who never existed) claimed he must speak in a very high octave voice or else "he'll become mute forever." This person also began wearing a cape to work, claimed gender does not exist, and, oh yeah, tried to groom underage kids for furry pedophilia sex roleplaying sessions, while going poo poo and pee pee in a diaper he secretly wore. He now lives in a sanitarium. I am not kidding or exaggerating any of this.

:psyduck:

Anyway. LP!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, since nobody told me not to do this thing, I am ever-so-slowly doing this thing!

To recap: the end goal is to have an Advanced Tactics Gold LP where players take the reins of a military in a fictional country in the mid-1930s (or maybe several countries, if enough people sign up). They get to vote on events that occur every turn: army structure reforms, forming an air force, procurement scandals, political crises spilling over into their field and so on. Once a war starts, they make plans for operations and I execute them, and I get to see if the compromises they had to make resulted in them creating an effective fighting force - or maybe not.

Advanced Tactics Gold, to those not in the know, is a fairly complex strategy wargame with an interface ripped straight out of 1980s. But it's fun and interesting, especially since it allows you to pick out what units make up your formations quite freely, and that's pretty great.

The editor is very powerful, but, unfortunately, somewhat unwieldy. The progress on creating the scenario will be quite slow - but the end product will hopefully be quite interesting!

The design goals are as follows:

1) have a handful of large "power" countries the players will pick the LP country out of,
2) have another handful of smaller "independent states" that will act as potential avenues of expansion/colonies/allies and catalysts for larger conflicts,
3) insert interesting strategic decisions and tactical dilemmas into the map,
4) avoid having any single country be "faux-X".

This is the basic map that the generator has come up for me so far before I start editing:

My first instinct so far has been to rearrange the political borders. The generator adores silly enclaves on the other side of the world and loves putting large cities on islands with no ports. This will have to change.

The proposed border changes are as follows:

- Yellow gets all those ugly northern enclaves. They would be completely indefensible anyway and would not actually result in any interesting scenarios. The islands between them and Green can serve as potential conflict starters.
- Blue gets the land corridor around Lipetsk, as well as most of the central sea coast. This gives them an interesting salient into the Yellow croissant and a clear strategic goal of turning the inland sea into their own private lake. Orsha Island gets to serve as an unsinkable aircraft carrier for Yellow, if they choose to defend it, or casus belli otherwise.
- Red gets a little bit of a border extension into Blue lands to avoid having a rail line just run along a single hex-line border.
- White areas are spun off into independent states.

These solutions are not set in stone yet and I'd love to hear some alternate suggestions.

Two other issues I am considering are:
- How to make the green blob interesting. It's shut off into a safe little corner with mostly flat and uninteresting land. It has only a moderate need for a navy and could quickly become boring. Maybe it could be alleviated by positioning its resources in poorly-defensible border areas?
- Should I surround the map with a bit of ocean? The generated terrain looks like it would be a logical choice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have a question, but it's more asking for advice from goons more experienced with doing participation games. The tl;dr is "How few players can you have at a time before it's not fun for the rest of the thread?"

I was wanting to do a play-by-post version of 7.62 High Caliber, a real time (with pausing) tactics game similar to Jagged Alliance. My intention was to have goons sign up to be mercenaries with a first-come-first-serve basis for playing: you can have a maximum of 6 squad members in the vanilla game, while the Blue Sun mod lets you adjust it up to a higher number (I can't remember right now, but I think it was 8 to 10 or something like that). Blue Sun lets you radio mercs in instead of finding them standing around bars looking for work, so I was going to adjust merc prices to make them cheap as hell or free to hire and fill up the group to the max. When a merc dies, they get replaced by the next goon in line.

Combat works by the players telling me their tactical choice, progressing the game for a set time like 10 or 15 seconds, and making a post showing how this turn went. Between fights, the group votes on which course of action to take. Purchasing equipment is done at regular shopping stops by dividing the money evenly between everyone and providing them with the shop inventory to buy their own gear individually.

My concern is that if the players are sufficiently good at making choices, we may go a while with about half a dozen players regardless of who signs up. One concern I would also need to address is that if your starting merc dies, it's game over. I'd probably have to leave that slot filled by myself permanently and keep the merc out of the way to avoid needing to reload a save because they got domed while breaching, which reduces the player count by one.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Depending on how much participation you are going to get, I'd say 8-10 is a very reasonable number. In my experience, any sort of involved participation always has a lower turnout than expected.

I think both your problems can be resolved by a slight change of format: when the shooting starts, don't give the players an entirely free hand to act, restrict their options to a number of choices. Have the various options correspond to different levels of risk-taking and also consider ones that would be logical based on what the merc can see and hear. I think that goons also tend to like LPs with restrictions on knowledge and communication, so you could look into that as well - if, for example, you banned talking in-thread during combat, plenty of people would enjoy the uncertainty, while the inevitable miscommunication and hilarious happenstance would then lead to a fairly quick rotation.

Finally, this also means that the rest of the thread takes on the role of a peanut gallery who gets to laugh at the silliness others do, so this might keep them interested.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tevery Best posted:

Depending on how much participation you are going to get, I'd say 8-10 is a very reasonable number. In my experience, any sort of involved participation always has a lower turnout than expected.

I think both your problems can be resolved by a slight change of format: when the shooting starts, don't give the players an entirely free hand to act, restrict their options to a number of choices. Have the various options correspond to different levels of risk-taking and also consider ones that would be logical based on what the merc can see and hear. I think that goons also tend to like LPs with restrictions on knowledge and communication, so you could look into that as well - if, for example, you banned talking in-thread during combat, plenty of people would enjoy the uncertainty, while the inevitable miscommunication and hilarious happenstance would then lead to a fairly quick rotation.

Finally, this also means that the rest of the thread takes on the role of a peanut gallery who gets to laugh at the silliness others do, so this might keep them interested.

Not sure if you've played 7.62, so apologies if I say something that's obvious!

The enemies visible in the game are actually restricted to what your mercs are simulated as seeing and hearing. Only enemies that are visible to a party member are visible, while mercs that are able to hear enemy movement have question marks placed at the enemy's location for the player to see. You can also view the action directly through each merc's eyes or weapon sights.

What I might do is restrict the length of time there is to post. I'm taking my experience here from participating in a wargame thread, where a solid time limit was set on when orders had to be submitted and a failure to submit orders was taken as "continue doing my last action without change." Nobody is voting on their course of action in combat, just individually directing what they want their merc to do and I interpret it to the best level of detail they provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I actually haven't, so there's that. A time restriction is most definitely a correct move, regardless of everything else.