Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Do we know if the squareheads' mavericks are compatible with the phantoms? And how many each f4 can carry? since if they at comparable I'll have to say we get some phantoms since they'll have relevant weapons from the get go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

power crystals posted:

e: I think mine is for two specific Phantoms to be down rather than any two anywhere in the fleet. Which is useless. Go with the fine goon above me who knows enough more about math than I do to be correct ^

Yeah, that sounds right. I think for the odds of any two failing it's the chance of working tails to the power of how many working tails there are times the odds of broken tails squared times the number of ways those two broken tails could be distributed among the fleet (or the other side of the coin, the number of ways the working tails could be distributed, which is the same number)

Seriously though, just use anydice and look at the distributions, it's much more robust than even knowing how to calculate it out.

If anyone really wants to know the formula it's

odds of b broken planes out of a fleet size f = fCb * (odds of a broken plane) ^ b * (1 - odds of a broken plane) ^ f

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Quinntan posted:

Sparkmaster, is that with any patrol time or is that a there and back trip with no loitering?

I didn't think about that one. Based on some info from the manufacturers website (don't know if its in the game or not) the Sperwer A has a 6 hour endurance. So back of envelope (really bad) math estimates perhaps an hour loiter time at a 200nm range. From the mission video it's tough to tell exactly what a 200nm range will put our UAV in range of.

Considering how cheap it is and what kind of capability it could give us, I think it's a wise investment. I'm pretty sure the supply dump and bridge would have been in range in that last mission. The other thing to consider would be how many of our missions would require extensive loiter time vs a in-and-out recon of a small, specific area.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Purchase 4 Phantoms and 1 UAV, halve missile purchase and focus on IRIS-T

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Purchase four F-4Es. This mostly guarantees we will be getting a flight of three up whenever we want to use them.

A bit over 80% odds for those playing at home, so four out of five times we will but one out of five times we won't.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Yooper posted:

You know I saw that earlier and totally forgot. Attention to detail, right?

I don't know nearly enough about this game to meaningfully contribute aside from lobbying for ludicrous decisions like buying a frigate and doing eco-terrorism, so I wasn't going to let the chance for pedantically correcting this oversight about Atlanta geography slide! :eng101:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Do we know if the squareheads' mavericks are compatible with the phantoms? And how many each f4 can carry? since if they at comparable I'll have to say we get some phantoms since they'll have relevant weapons from the get go

They ought to be, the Rb 75 is an AGM-65B and the Greeks have those. They're also compatible with our Paveways and our Mjolnirs. In-game, the F-4 can carry a pair of Mavericks, I would guess on the inner wing pylons.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

We need SEAD assets.

Besides if China is threatening to get antsy and move proper fighters into theater to an airbase within our striking range why wouldn't we pay it an early visit and make sure its properly ready for air operations? But we'd have to get rid of the SAM(s).

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
There aren't any SEAD assets available is the problem.

We also can't go to Lhasa and bomb that for shits and giggles because we'd probably start a war between the two most populous nations on Earth.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

There aren't any SEAD assets available is the problem.

We also can't go to Lhasa and bomb that for shits and giggles because we'd probably start a war between the two most populous nations on Earth.

That's like ecoterrorism, isn't it?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Quinntan posted:

They ought to be, the Rb 75 is an AGM-65B and the Greeks have those. They're also compatible with our Paveways and our Mjolnirs. In-game, the F-4 can carry a pair of Mavericks, I would guess on the inner wing pylons.

oh poo poo only 2 each? That might be workable though since we're fighting in Tibet so it's not like we'll see a full tank push.

Still though, I'm starting to lean towards the frogfoots, since while the different missile types will be annoying it's not like we're a huge company that has a lot to keep track off.

Plus dat can opener. brrrrrrt

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Su-25 doesn't have a can opener, but the F-4Es does have a 20mm vulcan cannon.

I'm also pretty sure that IRL you could have the Mavericks on TELs on the inner wing pylons, but that isn't implemented in CMANO. The Su-25 can have 16 Vikhrs, but those are... not really that good, certainly not as good as the Maverick. For one thing, you can't break away from the target after launching a Vikhr like you can with a Maverick.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
4 Frogfoots, 2 UAVs and maybe 2 F4s if we can have them operate as Wild Weasels

Yooper, can we sell some of our SK105s? If so, for how much?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't have a full proposal, but I fully support us buying 1-2 UAVs. I stand by my commitment to drone technology. It is the future! :colbert:

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

sparkmaster posted:

According to the Baloogan wiki, the Sperwer has a worst case detection range of about 8.25 NM in the infrared spectrum. It's pretty much invisible to radar. Considering its sensors have a 30nm range, I think our cushion is reasonably safe.

"Kinda sneaky" is more accurate. You're not going to get it close enough to an emitter to spot it before it spots you, but you can reasonably expect it get somewhere in the ballpark of 20-50nmi from stuff before getting detected, especially if it's at low altitude.

UAVs make phenomenal SAM bait in Command and in real life, and we should consider using them for that purpose given our lack of SEAD capability. The Sperwer can go around 1000nmi on a one-way suicide mission with its ferry loadout at optimal speed and altitude, and while it will take loving hours to get anywhere (100nmi/hour at best), I'd gladly pay $1.5m to find out for sure if there's a SAM system somewhere or not. Of course, if we can't afford to wait for it to get where it needs to go, it's useless, but we won't have wasted much money if we buy one or two.

I'm not yet sure what munitions I'd like to buy, but we should be careful not to underestimate our burn rate. We'll go through about two Meteors per fighter kill, though we can save on that by engaging with IRIS-T if we're targeting complete scrubs who have no way of retaliating. Do keep in mind that most modern aircraft are capable of carrying heaters that are almost (or equally) as good as our IRIS-T, but our Meteors are only matched by the American AIM-120D and Chinese PL-15. We can expect to win most BVR engagements against non-stealthy aircraft, but our advantage mostly goes away WVR, so I'd rather just buy enough IRIS-Ts to make up for what we expend.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
The problem with that is we have cheaper ways of determining if there's radar-guided SAMs in an area, our Erieye is plenty capable of that, and if we operate high enough we'll be safe against MANPADs and AAA. Spending $1.5 million on what'd basically be a suicide drone is not worth it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

Purchase all eight F-4Es

Buy 10 Meteors and 10 IRIS-Ts

I back this proposal. The F-4's are versatile enough that they give us a good number of options an they can carry enough ordinance to drop some serious warheads on foreheads if need be. Plus having extra cans of parts laying around will hep us keep them in the action.

Watch the F-4 deliver much needed freedom around the world.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Grab 6 of the regular Phantoms and maybe 1 UAV

Also suggesting that my call-sign be one of the following: Red Comet, Red Crown, Cowboy, Weasel, Unicorn

If there's any chance of grabbing a few F-14s or F-15s down the line, do it and put me in one of those bad boys.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 5, 2017

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

The problem with that is we have cheaper ways of determining if there's radar-guided SAMs in an area, our Erieye is plenty capable of that, and if we operate high enough we'll be safe against MANPADs and AAA. Spending $1.5 million on what'd basically be a suicide drone is not worth it.

Mobile SAMs are difficult to find with air-to-ground radar, especially when stationary, in rough terrain, and/or with jamming support. I'm not sure how well it works in CMANO, though if we can locate them without issue it may still be convenient to bait 'em into radiating without risking an aircraft that actually matters.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
The UAV only has a maximum ceiling of 10,000 feet. We are currently operating over the freaking Himalayas so it can't help us in our current AO.

To spot anything around that bridge, it would have had to fly up and down the various valleys, sometimes skimming the snowy treetops even then. It doesn't get to use its 30 nmi sight range until we go to some place with more flat and lower altitude terrain.

Other than that, though, it's still a good purchase. Anything it can safely recon we could also probably safely send SK-60Bs after, too.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 5, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

ManifunkDestiny posted:

4 Frogfoots, 2 UAVs and maybe 2 F4s if we can have them operate as Wild Weasels

Yooper, can we sell some of our SK105s? If so, for how much?

This gets my vote. Don't know why everyone is so wild for F4's unless we're going to cram 10 gun pods on one and I can fly it, in which case we should get all the F4's.

This thread moves really fast so I'm going to post a standing vote for buying SCUDS or something similar in case scuds become available and I miss a vote. I can't begin to tell you how important big, dumb missiles are to my plans, and to the mark this company will make on history.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
There was a test where they strapped 15 SUU-11 gunpods to an F-4 and went all moar dakka with it, I posted a picture of it earlier.

Mr. Showtime posted:

Mobile SAMs are difficult to find with air-to-ground radar, especially when stationary, in rough terrain, and/or with jamming support. I'm not sure how well it works in CMANO, though if we can locate them without issue it may still be convenient to bait 'em into radiating without risking an aircraft that actually matters.

If they're going to be useful as SAM's, they need to emit, and we can pick up their emissions long before we get within range of their radars. It's how we were able to find out about what type of SAMs the Chinese had around Lhasa.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 5, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Adding that I vote buy all 8 F4s along with my aforementioned vote for the halved AA missiles ordnance list. Even with my staggering inability to understand statistics they're still reliable enough to be worth it, and munitions commonality is big since sticking bombs or mavericks on them would free up the Gripens to do CAP. We can buy them AMRAAMs or sidewinders later.

I'm also still voting "sell the SK60s" if that's a thing that's even possible.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

There was a test where they strapped 15 SUU-11 gunpodss to an F-4 and went all moar dakka with it, I posted a picture of it earlier.

Why don't I see anyone voting for 8 F-4's with 15 gunpods each, which works out to 120 gunpods total?

That's so many gunpods. Almost halfway to being enough gunpods.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
They're kinda weak gunpods, they only fire 7.62mm NATO rounds, teeny yokes compared to, say, the 20mm rounds that the SUU-23 gunpod fired. Only one of those per pylon though.

EDIT: autocorrect doesn't recognise gunpod as a word

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 5, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
In other news, I continue to be unable to do basic math...

These should be the correct numbers.

Basically, we sell off the four of the SK 60Bs and use the other two for training, advertising, joyrides, and the occasional COIN. We use the money from the sale to buy more Phantoms.

This package gives us lots of air-to-air ordnance. Since people seem to hate the idea of buying Meteors, I've trimmed down the buy somewhat. I still think we should heavily invest in GBU-12s and Mavericks. They'll be very useful even once we're out of the theater.

Aircraft
SELL:
4 SK 60Bs

BUY:
5 F-4E Phantom IIs ($42,500,000)
2 Sperwer UAV ($3,000,000)

Total aircraft bill: $45,500,000

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:
18 Meteor medium-range AAMs ($31,500,000)
20 IRIS-T short-range AAMs ($8,000,0000)

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:
100 GBU-12 laser-guided bombs ($2,200,000)
30 RB 75 Maverick EO Missiles ($870,000)
250 M/70 135mm rockets ($700,000)

Stores
BUY:
20 1200-litre drop tanks ($380,000)

Total weapons bill: $42,950,000

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 5, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Bacarruda posted:

Aircraft
BUY:

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:

Stores
BUY:

As much as I love Frogfoots I support this plan. I'd there is any chance for promotion of Powerthighs out of an SK60 to one of these Phantoms that would be great. Unless other, lesser pilots demand a chance.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Voting for Bacurruda's purchase plan however i say we should buy only 12 Meteors

also sign me up for Pilot callsign zakalwe

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
If we don't buy aircraft now, will we have another chance to buy them later or are they gone for good?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Aircraft
SELL:
4 SK 60Bs

BUY:

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:

Stores
BUY:

Changing my vote to this.

Still wish to sign up with one of the call-signs I asked for.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

If they're going to be useful as SAM's, they need to emit, and we can pick up their emissions long before we get within range of their radars. It's how we were able to find out about what type of SAMs the Chinese had around Lhasa.

This is a moderately safe assumption if the IADS you're messing with has only one radar, but it doesn't hold for anything more complex than that. We know they have at least as many HQ-7s (or whatever) as we saw emitting around Lhasa, but they could have any number of other nasty surprises lying in store there.

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 5, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tythas posted:

also sign me up for Pilot callsign zakalwe
airforce?
more like
chairforce

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Is it to much to ask for a Backfire? I bet we could get a good deal!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Baloogan posted:

airforce?
more like
chairforce

Yea but the chairs are just so comfy for government purchased chairs

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

Basically, we sell off the four of the SK 60Bs and use the other two for training, advertising, joyrides, and the occasional COIN. We use the money from the sale to buy more Phantoms.

This package gives us lots of air-to-air ordnance. Since people seem to hate the idea of buying Meteors, I've trimmed down the buy somewhat. I still think we should heavily invest in GBU-12s and Mavericks. They'll be very useful even once we're out of the theater.

Aircraft
SELL:
4 SK 60Bs

BUY:

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:

Stores
BUY:

I support this proposal. I do like the Frogfoots better for our situation, but the F-4s are a close second and very acceptable.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Mr. Showtime posted:

This is a moderately safe assumption if the IADS you're messing with has only one radar, but it doesn't hold for anything more complex than that. We know they have at least as many HQ-7s (or whatever) as we saw emitting around Lhasa, but they could have any number of other nasty surprises lying in store there.

All the more reason to not go to Lhasa imo.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Tythas posted:

Yea but the chairs are just so comfy for government purchased chairs

Real leather too.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pilot Hellfire reporting for duty.

Buy all 8 phantoms

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Tapco votes for Plan Baccaruda as well as buying all of the Phantoms ever.

Now excuse me, I have to figure out how to wire my MP3 player into the Phantom helmet to blast Paint it Black and Fortunate Son while I paste a Yemeni wedding with 12 GBUs.

Speaking of Yemeni weddings, we should definitely get into the drone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bacarruda posted:

Aircraft
SELL:
4 SK 60Bs

BUY:

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:

Stores
BUY:

Backing this proposal. Those UAVs are going to be worth their weight in gold I think.