Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Written by someone who's never seen either a. an insulin syringe or b. someone ACTUALLY shooting up drugs.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

True story: my friend got held for 3 hours at an airport for having an epipen in his carryon.

Then the security guard took it from him and said "no fair maid shall suffer doeswith the pain upon me, m'lady" and injected himself. Before leaning in and asking for a kiss.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
And the EpiPen started clapping

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'd love to know how long it's been since something that actually happened was posted on Not Always Right and its sister sites.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Then the security guard took it from him and said "no fair maid shall suffer doeswith the pain upon me, m'lady" and injected himself. Before leaning in and asking for a kiss.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Math!

quote:

The Argument Goes On And On And Alderaan
HIGH SCHOOL | NY, USA | FUNNY NAMES, GEEKS RULE, LANGUAGE & WORDS
(We are in math class, but it’s the day before a long break and no one’s actually doing anything. One girl has been writing Star Wars fan fiction for the entire period, and wondered out loud how a character’s name would be pronounced. It led the entire class into a war about how Breha Organa would be said.)

Student #1: “It looks obvious to me. Bree-uh. ”

Student #2: “No, idiot. It has an ‘H.'”

Student #1: “It would sound stupid with the H.'”

Student #3: “This is the same series that has a Padmé Amidala, stupid! No one cares about how stupid it sounds!”

Student #2: “Besides, there’s already a Bria Tharen.”

Student #1: “So what? There’s a Luke and a Luuke and a Luuuke, dip-s***!”

Student #4: “Nah, the real question is how the h*** you say her last name. What the h*** type of name is that?”

Student #2: “Or-gah-na!”

Student #1: “Or-gan-uh!”

Student #3: “Actually, Organa is the plural form of the word organon, and it’s pronounced organ-uh.”

Teacher: *who has been silently watching his students swear at each other* “It’s pronounced Bray-huh Or-gah-na. Now sit the h*** down before I scream.”

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The entire class of four students?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

quote:

not a joke pls reblog
my abusive dad thought itd be funny to put his autistic son out on the streets of new york on april fools and torture our whole family woot
so anyways i need help! im being booted from my home today most likely with little belongings and under 300 dollars to my name, which isnt enough to get to anyone who can help me or would even reasonably take me in, as my partners are either across the northern border or in florida.
i cannot, at all, be put out on the streets. i am half blind, autistic, and transgender. i cannot defend myself unless i somehow manage to bludgeon someone with my bag. i need to find a place to stay til i can get to either of them, which should only be about a week or two.
so if you or any of your followers are on long island new york or even in the city (i can access penn station so i can get there.) and are willing to let someone crash for a bit please hit me up thank you
tl;dr hey new yorkers wanna take in a blind trans kid?

it hits every single note

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress off iron rose

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

The entire class of four students?

Shut the heck up before I scream.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Four nerdy rear end kids in math class seems realistic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

got into an argument with my girlfriend over whether this STDH happened

Conclusion was that it doesn't matter that it might not have because the sentiment is right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People moved to Spain long before EU. You can move anywhere if you have money.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Conclusion was that it doesn't matter that it might not have because the sentiment is right.

I think facebook statuses like that are basically fables at this point. I can't believe anybody looks at them thinking they're true.

Jerry Cotton posted:

People moved to Spain long before EU. You can move anywhere if you have money.

It's just that within the EU you can just do it. Your retirement money from the UK might go farther in Spain, and so hey just go there. Dutchies and Germans too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

I think facebook statuses like that are basically fables at this point. I can't believe anybody looks at them thinking they're true.

Not only do thousands of people think it's true - but they get pretty outraged if you point out that it didn't happen, and that maybe it's not great for a cause if you have to invent fictional stuff to support it (FAKE NEWS!)

The author was accused in the comments of making it up and after initially attacking the accusers as hateful, small-minded bullies, is currently backtracking and asking people not to share it and talking about deleting the post because it's getting too much attention.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Nigel Farage will gently caress off out of the country if it turns out he hosed it up. :D
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-i-will-emigrate-if-brexit-is-a-disaster-a7653786.html

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stoatbringer posted:

Nigel Farage will gently caress off out of the country if it turns out he hosed it up. :D
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-i-will-emigrate-if-brexit-is-a-disaster-a7653786.html

I feel like Nigel Farage loving off out of the UK is a net gain for the UK, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If it aligns with my politics then this event totally happened. If it does not, STDH.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

If it aligns with my politics then this event totally happened. If it does not, STDH.

Yes, we know, you were a Gamergate supporter

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alaois posted:

Yes, we know, you were a Gamergate supporter

Indeed, this is STDH. I'm glad you're contributing to the thread Alaois. :)

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I feel like Nigel Farage loving off out of the UK is a net gain for the UK, though.

What happened with him anyway? People used to love his rants on youtube some seven years ago. He wasn't even wrong about what he said back then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Huffed his own farts, basically. Lager swilling, chain smoking politician gained a little traction and it went from there. A few newspapers slowly repainted him as a Man Of The People, downplaying his casual racism and turning it into a daft form of patriotism. Even the loving Sun was against him until Brexit started gaining momentum.

It was pretty hilarious how he managed to call David Cameron's bluff, but he's ultimately pointed this country in a direction that'll gently caress us over.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I know it's a low bar, but this reddit post was.. well, really special.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i describe myself as a teenager

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Catberry posted:

What happened with him anyway? People used to love his rants on youtube some seven years ago. He wasn't even wrong about what he said back then.

Are you sure you're talking about Farage here?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ratjaculation posted:

i describe myself as a teenager

Greetings fellow humans

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

https://youtu.be/lbLqiKg9JkA

socalled
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, but you'll never get it.
Cashier questions a white kid getting a black doll. Mother explains how racially enlightened her toddler is. The internet eats it up.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/little...-193253439.html

Benner wrote that she believes the cashier spoke out of ignorance, which at best is problematic and at worst is seriously hurtful to some people. “I feel like in her mind she was being helpful and making conversation with my daughter,” the mom wrote. “I’m not saying her ignorance makes it OK, just proves her white privilege.”

The mother does look like a smug gently caress too.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e85&oe=59612828

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I thought about this thread as it started popping up on Facebook yesterday. I get that part of what drives this thread is cynicism, and that sometimes you want a feel good story. But how can you read that and not be skeptical?

I really think classes for kids on Internet behaviors should involve installing a healthy amount of skepticism in them.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
At first my eyes parsed that as "Cashier questions a white kid getting a blow doll." which sounded way more interesting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The woke baby/toddler stories are like the lowest of the low effort stdh's people make up. If you have any recent moms on facebook you'll see that kind of poo poo all the time. It's the next step in obnoxious facebook posting-about-your-kid - first phase is all poop talk and whining about not getting enough sleep, then once they can talk it's their time to show off how well they raised little Kaydyn or Brianthoni so they make up stories like that.

The worst example on my feed is a herbalife mom and every week or so there's another post about her "Herbababy" and how sweet she was to a (poor/black/homeless...pick one or any combination) person and how everyone started crying and her Faith In Humanity has been restored etc, always some story where she just doesn't "get" racism or sexism and laments about the state of society these days. By the way, our doctor said she was by far the healthiest child he's seen in years. Ask me to find out how! #herbalife #herbababy #hashtags.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I thought about this thread as it started popping up on Facebook yesterday. I get that part of what drives this thread is cynicism, and that sometimes you want a feel good story. But how can you read that and not be skeptical?

I really think classes for kids on Internet behaviors should involve installing a healthy amount of skepticism in them.

I think in many cases people realize the stories are fake, but treat them as real as part of an unspoken "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" agreement. Like, if everyone in a social group constantly believes and compliments each other, they'll be believed and complimented in turn. This sort of faux-kindness seems especially common in the south, though I'm sure it exists in Facebook groups for housewives and what have you elsewhere as well.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

socalled posted:

Cashier questions a white kid getting a black doll. Mother explains how racially enlightened her toddler is. The internet eats it up.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/little...-193253439.html

Benner wrote that she believes the cashier spoke out of ignorance, which at best is problematic and at worst is seriously hurtful to some people. “I feel like in her mind she was being helpful and making conversation with my daughter,” the mom wrote. “I’m not saying her ignorance makes it OK, just proves her white privilege.”

The mother does look like a smug gently caress too.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e85&oe=59612828

You can tell in all of these STDH stories that these people have never worked in the customer service industry. Cashiers don't give a gently caress what you're buying and if they mention it at all it's less about caring and more about passing the small amount of time until you're out of there. These stories where the cashiers nearly have a heart attack from rage while the customer (or in this case, the woke toddler) rightfully puts them in their place are just the stupidest things. Which is the point of this thread.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I see posts on FB about kids going to sit with police officers eating lunch alone and want to puke.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
That Bernie Sanders action figure comes up in the advertisements on Facebook a lot for me a lot. Here's yet another example of the woke-kid-who-loves-Bernie trope I saw a lot during the elections:

It says, "He takes Bernie with him everywhere now".

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I bet that Woke Kid is just a case of a kid parroting Mommy or Daddy's own opinions back at them, like, 90% of the time?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Pushing politics on kids. What could go wrong?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

I bet that Woke Kid is just a case of a kid parroting Mommy or Daddy's own opinions back at them, like, 90% of the time?

100%. Children's opinions don't tend to be well reasoned, and it's actually kind of strange that you'd think that somehow 10% of literal children were capable of understanding political theories and the world at large enough to have a reasonable opinion that they came up with on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

100%. Children's opinions don't tend to be well reasoned, and it's actually kind of strange that you'd think that somehow 10% of literal children were capable of understanding political theories and the world at large enough to have a reasonable opinion that they came up with on their own.

I think the 10% are parroting another trusted adult, like a teacher or a grandparent.