Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think that is true 100%. I want them to get back to lovely pulp novels. I think those are always the most enjoyable novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a reason their current closing line is 'Ride the Crab'. Maybe we need another book by the crab guy.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

flesh dance posted:

I haven't listened to the new episode, but speaking of overzealous "ooooooh boy this thing is so lovely, yikes, I dare not speak a word of it, but will instead elaborate on just how much I won't speak a word of it!!" to this day I'm still curious about what possibly could've happened to elicit that response in Hammer of the Gods, a book about a band I'm not even into. I mean, I can probably hazard a guess, but still, I hate that sort of poo poo. Either mention it or don't. The whole premise of this show is about how bad books are bad, and they tend to go in the direction of dancing around those bad things rather than leaning right into them, which does the whole thing a disservice imo.

I listen to a lot of different podcasts and haven't gotten around to a huge portion of this one, so maybe I've just randomly picked ones where this happens a lot, I dunno

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. And after checking in on this thread after a few months it's great to see that so many people feel like I do about their content stuff. On one hand, I appreciate how they want to respect the audience and mention they may be talking about things that make people uncomfortable. But the CONSTANT handwringing over it is becoming a bit of a downer. The jingle idea is right on and it means they can address it and maintain a slightly upbeat attitude. Otherwise it feels like I am listening to the notes on the autopsy of a relative.

I totally get that they are pilloried on social media for this stuff. But I think at some point you have to cut your losses and expect a little discretion from the audience. If you mention there are themes that may include issues that generally make people uncomfortable, then they have to respect that when they go into it.

The reason I quoted Flesh Dance is because that really bugged me in that episode. It's not that I want to hear horrible things. But listening to someone discuss something in an obtuse way without actually addressing it was very, very frustrating. I am getting really tired of just listening to them afraid to have fun.

I agree the guys should go back to pulp books for a while to cleanse the palette. WHM made the same mistake this month with their patreon listener request stuff. They were stuck doing a bunch of horrible films they would never do in a million years and they really struggled.

Also, does anyone else think that Jay was blazing up while Chris was doing his dramatic reading? you can totally hear him coughing loudly and he has the old sour throat when he gets back.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jay totally smokes all the time during episodes. He once did a bong rip on mic, and it made me immediately realize, thinking back, that he pretty regularly coughs and comes back with a raspy voice. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I definitely did not notice but I will never not hear that from now on lol.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

Jay totally smokes all the time during episodes. He once did a bong rip on mic, and it made me immediately realize, thinking back, that he pretty regularly coughs and comes back with a raspy voice. :v:

This might help explain the constant apologizing for bad content; he just keeps forgetting he already apologized for it.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Having to read basically nothing but bad books is probably pretty draining for them. I don't know how you rebrand a podcast, but maybe expanding beyond just bad books wouldn't the worst thing for them to do. They already cover miscellaneous stuff on their Patreon extra podcasts, after all, and those episodes have been pretty good.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lonos Oboe posted:

WHM made the same mistake this month with their patreon listener request stuff. They were stuck doing a bunch of horrible films they would never do in a million years and they really struggled.
What are you talking about? Ultraviolet was a "classic ep" if there's ever been one.

That show is kind of like The Flop House in that the harder it is for them to stay focused on a movie, the easier it is for them to spin off into lovably ridiculous tangents like sperm heists and fat spies.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What are you talking about? Ultraviolet was a "classic ep" if there's ever been one.

That show is kind of like The Flop House in that the harder it is for them to stay focused on a movie, the easier it is for them to spin off into lovably ridiculous tangents like sperm heists and fat spies.

Oh I agree, the whole "Heat/cum heist" tangent was the funniest stuff they came out with in months. It was more the patreon picks and a few episodes around them I felt were a bit down. The Last Airbender was certainly a slog for them, Tango and Cash, Retroactive and My Father the Hero all felt a little weak to me. But look, that said those guys can spin gold out of bullshit and every episode had laughs exactly like your Flop house comparison. But after listening to them for hundreds of hours. You can tell when they are having a tough time which they seemed to have the last few weeks. Especially with Eric who usually busts out the most hilarious non sequiturs, but just seems a bit off. It might just be me. My theory is that they block recorded like 3 or 4 episodes and were burning out near the end.

The Ultraviolet episode was great because they could really sink their teeth into it in a way they couldn't with a kind of blandishly decent film like Tango and Cash or an aggressively boring film like The Last Airbender. They sounded like they were having more fun. I follow them on patreon and I was a little concerned that they were stretching themselves too thin. I am not being critical, far from it. It can't be easy for all these podcasters to be legitimately funny and clever every week on top of everything else.

Edit: Confirmed, go to 35:50 of the last episode and blast the volume, you can clearly hear the bong rip, combined with what Chris is reading it's like some kind of hilarious audio art project.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 25, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's weird because the Money Pizza Respect and Seven Deadly Sins episodes were funny and good. Maybe they're just burnt out on hanging out in the mindspace of a lovely person after the United States has turned into the mindspace of a lovely person.

This is probably a lot of it, although their excursion to *whipcrack* a world called Gor is one of their best ever episodes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Agent Smith gag from Matrix Revolutions and "MOM GET OVER HERE" from Daredevil are two of my favorite things every on any podcast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
"She was like a candle in the wind....unreliable"

"As a writer, I make my own rules up okay. If I wanna start a sentence with a full-stop I will. If I want to highlight social prejudice, I will, but I'll do it my way. And sometimes you actually have to be a bigot, in order to bring down bigger bigots."

"He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark, his bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary's body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions: on top, doggy, and normal. Exhausted, they collapsed on to the recently extended sofa bed. Then a hellbeast ate them."

You could fill a thread with Garth Marenghi quotes. Or rewatch the whole thing. it's like 3 hours.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

END ME SCOOB posted:

I've read it. You don't even know, man, the teases at the end were so little of the madness.

I told y'all.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I expected the latest episode to run out of steam, but it was actually better than the first half because of the great guests.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I really appreciate their attempt at describing Thom Yorke

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I absolutely can't listen to anyone talk about wrestling because I find it the most uninteresting topic in the world, so I had to skip about half this episode. The rest was pretty good though.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I think the part about the ICP's wrestling career was the best part of the episode, myself.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Spark That Bled posted:

I think the part about the ICP's wrestling career was the best part of the episode, myself.

Yeah. I don't care about wrestling but the anecdotes and history were really funny and hearing knowledgeable people explain things they know in an engaging way is almost always fun.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Plus, come on, it's ICP getting the poo poo beaten out of them for being assholes.

padijun posted:

I expected the latest episode to run out of steam, but it was actually better than the first half because of the great guests.
Also the "twisted poo poo version" of the theme. Even better than the nu-metal one.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
J.W. is on the latest F Plus episode (all about a fake wrestler wikia), and it's more evidence of my theory that it's the difference in audience that makes him seem more uptight on IDEOTV.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's probably a content thing as well. It's pretty rare that the F-Plus actually goes into unpleasant territory like explicit sexism or just calling their old manager a fag, unlike music bios.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's probably a content thing as well. It's pretty rare that the F-Plus actually goes into unpleasant territory like explicit sexism or just calling their old manager a fag, unlike music bios.
There was a lot of rape and incest in this episode, actually.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There was a lot of rape and incest in this episode, actually.

Well there goes my loving theory

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

It's pretty rare that the F-Plus actually goes into unpleasant territory

Have I been listening to the wrong podcast this whole time?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Have I been listening to the wrong podcast this whole time?

I think it's possible that forums poster "rumble in the bunghole" is slightly desensitized to unpleasant content.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

they were all "ugh ew gross" during the omegaverse hour but that wasn't even that gross compared to cummingonfigurines or dakimakura

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i mean with the F Plus you're grading on a scale that includes foot sniffing, food loving, and burning your dick on the car you were having sex with so bad you have to poke a new pee hole in it

it really opens your eyes up to how many varieties of gross there are

edit: I forgot which thread I was posting in and figured this was the F Plus thread, whoops. (i mean what's the difference anyway)

Djeser fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 11, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I meant like straight racism or misogyny, it's generally filtered through 3 layers of repression. A hypno-pua is way less threatening than a normal one. I just laugh at gross poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I meant like straight racism or misogyny, it's generally filtered through 3 layers of repression. A hypno-pua is way less threatening than a normal one. I just laugh at gross poo poo.

They've had straight-up normal pua episodes too and also other horrible stuff like that site about mexicans

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The fplus tries, generally, to focus on idiots hurting themselves or being silly. They seem to stay away from people getting hurt nonconsensually. Their sex episodes tend to avoid rape when possible, like when they avoided the rape tentacles in the hentai episode.

They aren't perfect, but they are generally pretty good about avoiding the unfunny and nasty parts of the internet. That's the kind of "unpleasant" I appreciate them avoiding.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

The fplus tries, generally, to focus on idiots hurting themselves or being silly. They seem to stay away from people getting hurt nonconsensually. Their sex episodes tend to avoid rape when possible, like when they avoided the rape tentacles in the hentai episode.

They aren't perfect, but they are generally pretty good about avoiding the unfunny and nasty parts of the internet. That's the kind of "unpleasant" I appreciate them avoiding.

How quickly you forget Frank West reading the most horrific erotic fiction ever during the FPlus live #3.

I think IDEOTV has just had a higher than normal amount of morally awful books as of late; hopefully the pendulum will swing back the other way and we'll get more Night of the Crabs.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah for fucks sake bring back the crabs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hoobajoo posted:

How quickly you forget Frank West reading the most horrific erotic fiction ever during the FPlus live #3.

I think IDEOTV has just had a higher than normal amount of morally awful books as of late; hopefully the pendulum will swing back the other way and we'll get more Night of the Crabs.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day and the issue seems to be that, unlike watching a bad movie, reading a bad book is an investment. By the time you realize it's bad enough to not have a lot of things of value to talk about, it's already too close to the show deadline to start over and pick up another one. And there's an audience for bad movies where you can hear which ones are total laughable poo poo by word of mouth, where such things don't exist for bad books unless they're bad enough to be popular already. The only people likely to read (say) an ICP book are people who are genuinely interested in the content and thus aren't likely to tell you that the book is poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
"New" episode is up, about a crummy, cheap, lazy detective novel.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And the reason that it's a previously recorded episode is that Heston died of cancer this week.

RIP little click-clack bulldog buddy :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lumbermouth posted:

And the reason that it's a previously recorded episode is that Heston died of cancer this week.

RIP little click-clack bulldog buddy :(

RIP Heston, died too soon and still outlived J's marriage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
RIP the show's best guest star.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

RIP Heston, died too soon and still outlived J's marriage.

LOL, but RIP too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Looks like somebody forgot to unmute an audio track for the Valley of the Dolls ep. Unless the new plot in 60 seconds theme is really experimental.