Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also another big gently caress you to Cadillac for not selling me a V8 Alpha platform sedan at any price

gently caress you johann van nysschen or whatever your name is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also another big gently caress you to Cadillac for not selling me a V8 Alpha platform sedan at any price

gently caress you johann van nysschen or whatever your name is

The CTS-V is a V8 Alpha sedan tho?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ok then NA V8

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Because you don't like superchargers?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Buick: we're just like audi, we swear, see? it's like an allroad.

Drove a new Lacrosse recently and it actually compared pretty favorably to the Volvo S90 IMO.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Because you don't like superchargers?

I don't

I don't want awd either

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

C'mon son, chevy's been squeezing out CHUDS for decades.

I use the word chud for a particularly odorous cat turd. I have to be alone in this.

nah it's a better euphemism for trump voters

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So what do you guys think of the KIA Stinger? My enthusiast friend is super excited about it. I personally think it looks awesome but i think if I spent enough time with it past the initial first impression it probably gets worse.

Kia dealers are pretty slimy relative to other car dealers so I also expect a pretty lovely after sales experience.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

BraveUlysses posted:

nah it's a better euphemism for trump voters

It's a shame nobody would've bought that Trump or Hillary have driven a car in at least 25 years so we missed out on Romney-style weirdness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHaMqHh5NZ4&app=desktop

Though I guess Hillary should've pandered to Michigan more...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

So what do you guys think of the KIA Stinger? My enthusiast friend is super excited about it. I personally think it looks awesome but i think if I spent enough time with it past the initial first impression it probably gets worse.

Kia dealers are pretty slimy relative to other car dealers so I also expect a pretty lovely after sales experience.

The Kia dealer experience is bad before, during, and after sales. Once they fix that they're going to be in a decent place.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kraftwerk posted:

Looks good on paper, but there would need to be some strong incentive for someone in the market for a car like that to put a KIA in the garage instead of a German auto. No idea how well it's executed either, how many times has a new car come out and looked great on paper only to not meet expectations once released?

The dealer experince would be another negative. They'll need to do something like Lincoln or what Hyundai is trying to do with the Genesis.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At least locally, the Genesis experience is worse than the Hyundai experience in that the dealers, while certified Genesis shops, completely deny all of the Genesis services promised. Loaner? gently caress you. Pickup and drop off? Sit your rear end down next to the schmuck in his rent-to-own Accent. Wash and vacuum? You're kidding, right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

On paper I like it a lot but I want to see it in person before making much of a judgement. I also think it'll probably be hefty, especially in AWD guise.

I need to double check which publication it was, but I know one said the Regal will be ~3700 - ~3900 lbs, which I'm betting is 4-pot FWD vs 4-pot AWD. The V6 will put it closer to 4100 in AWD spec I'm sure.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Goober Peas posted:

At least locally, the Genesis experience is worse than the Hyundai experience in that the dealers, while certified Genesis shops, completely deny all of the Genesis services promised. Loaner? gently caress you. Pickup and drop off? Sit your rear end down next to the schmuck in his rent-to-own Accent. Wash and vacuum? You're kidding, right?

No one will take Genesis seriously until they improve the dealership experience. Until then, Lexus and others will continue to snatch its lunch money.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Kia is going to have to lump the Stinger buyers and the K900 buyers (all 10 of them) into a group that's marked to get special treatment at dealerships. Hyundai is trying to do this with the launch of the Genesis sub-brand.

If the Stinger is anything like the K900, it'll look great on paper but in reality things will just feel off for no particular reason. It could be fit/finish, or materials, or the sizing of buttons, but there's something about the K900 that wouldn't let it replicate what it feels like to be in an A6 / E Class / 5 series.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Domestic Amuse posted:

No one will take Genesis seriously until they improve the dealership experience. Until then, Lexus and others will continue to snatch its lunch money.

I fired off an email to Hyundai Canada about this a little while ago, this thread being the impetus to see if they have any concrete plans for the future. I'm curious to see if I even get a reply.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag posted:

C'mon son, chevy's been squeezing out CHUDS for decades.

I use the word chud for a particularly odorous cat turd. I have to be alone in this.

UK slang uses the word 'chod' in place of poo poo on rare occasions so you're not entirely alone here.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'll be needing a new car this summer, and something that has pretty much slipped under my radar is the Acura TLX. The 4-cyl model actually seems kind of neat. 206hp and 8-speed DCT with a torque converter. It's too bad Acura is redesigning the front end to look like this:

If they're offering some crazy lease specials on the '17's I might jump on it. I've only owned Ford's and I'm somewhat less than impressed with their quality/reliability...still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kimcicle posted:

Kia is going to have to lump the Stinger buyers and the K900 buyers (all 10 of them) into a group that's marked to get special treatment at dealerships. Hyundai is trying to do this with the launch of the Genesis sub-brand.

If the Stinger is anything like the K900, it'll look great on paper but in reality things will just feel off for no particular reason. It could be fit/finish, or materials, or the sizing of buttons, but there's something about the K900 that wouldn't let it replicate what it feels like to be in an A6 / E Class / 5 series.

How about when you can get a 2 year old K900 for $20k? Then will you still care that it it doesn't feel like an E class?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'll be needing a new car this summer, and something that has pretty much slipped under my radar is the Acura TLX. The 4-cyl model actually seems kind of neat. 206hp and 8-speed DCT with a torque converter. It's too bad Acura is redesigning the front end to look like this:

If they're offering some crazy lease specials on the '17's I might jump on it. I've only owned Ford's and I'm somewhat less than impressed with their quality/reliability...still.

Glad Acura is staying strong on their 15 year tradition of making the most hideous grills imaginable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Huh, I wonder what brand car this is.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pontius Pilate posted:

Glad Acura is staying strong on their 15 year tradition of making the most hideous grills imaginable.

Honda just seems to love thinking of new and hideous ways to style the front of their cars. Case in point; when the 9th gen NA Accord came out it, it looked like this:

That is a nice looking car that I would be perfectly okay with looking at for an extended amount of ownership. But then...

:barf:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 6, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't really mind the Hondas; I find most of the Acura designs to be worse. Both are still light years away from Toyota. I saw a new Prius in side profile today that looked like it had been rear-ended, but when I got closer I realized that all the weird wrinkles were completely intentional.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Honda just seems to love thinking of new and hideous ways to style the front of their cars. Case in point; when the 9th gen NA Accord came out it, it looked like this:

That is a nice looking car that I would be perfectly okay with looking at for an extended amount of ownership. But then...

It looks like they downgraded the number of blades actually

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Kraftwerk posted:

I missed/ignored the Stinger when it was first announced but after whatever details dropped last week I read a bit on it and was intrigued.

*On paper* it looks like it *could* be a sweet daily driver *if* the Koreans figured out how to make a car that handles and if it's *reasonably priced* (read: heavily discounted against what the comparably-specced car would cost from a Japanese manufacturer and they keep the Kia warranty).

That's an awful lot of asterisks but if they all got fulfilled I could see myself owning one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'd love to see Acura and/or Honda spread their performance hybrid system far and wide. I can't see it ever happening but a RWD TLX/RLX with the SH-Hybrid system up front, a la the NSX, could have some bonerific potential.

Still need to take god drat weight out of them and get rid of that stupid dual-screen crap.

poo poo's not happening, though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Still need to take god drat weight out of them and get rid of that stupid dual-screen crap.

Yeah, I think Ford does do this really well. Touchscreen nice and close, physical buttons for the important functions like HVAC temp, volume, heated/cooled seats.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I'd love to see Acura and/or Honda spread their performance hybrid system far and wide. I can't see it ever happening but a RWD TLX/RLX with the SH-Hybrid system up front, a la the NSX, could have some bonerific potential.

poo poo's not happening, though.

You can't really say "make them lighter" then say "add hybrid studd to them" too. And Acuras are overpriced as is.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

How about when you can get a 2 year old K900 for $20k? Then will you still care that it it doesn't feel like an E class?

If there are any 2 year old K900s on the market for $20k then sure. I think the sheer number of them not selling will be the biggest hurdle in getting into one. The used 2015 K900 models popping up around me still market for around $35k. For that kind of money you can get into a 3 year old E Class instead.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Yeah, I think Ford does do this really well. Touchscreen nice and close, physical buttons for the important functions like HVAC temp, volume, heated/cooled seats.

Love that my mustang has no screen and just pure knobs and buttons.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Honda hasn't made an attractive accord since the 6th gen coupe. The 2008 TL and TSX were the last good looking Acuras. I don't know what's been going on at Honda for the last 10 years, but someone needs to get fired for it.

The design language for the S2000 was Peak Honda. Even the little 1999 Civic hatchback had a similar look. That Fast & Furios era was the golden age of Honda, and ricers.The pre-facelift NSX still is one of the best looking cars ever made.
e:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BloodBag posted:

The design language for the S2000 was Peak Honda. Even the little 1999 Civic hatchback had a similar look. That Fast & Furios era was the golden age of Honda, and ricers.The pre-facelift NSX still is one of the best looking cars ever made.

What makes me lol about current gen Honda is that the only car that actually looks cool (up to and including the NSX) is the loving kei car and even that is over-designed in places.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

BloodBag posted:

Honda hasn't made an attractive accord since the 6th gen coupe. The 2008 TL and TSX were the last good looking Acuras. I don't know what's been going on at Honda for the last 10 years, but someone needs to get fired for it.

e:

100% agree. I had an 04 TSX (6MT) and loved it to death. By the time I was ready to move on from that car mid 2012, Acura and Honda had NOTHING that even vaguely interested me. Their cars have had all semblance of fun/enthusiast/sporty sucked out of them and replaced their entire fleet with forgettable boring trash. I guess the most recent Civic Si is still pretty fun if that's what you're after, but it's being left in the dust by the current world of hot hatches. Very sad turn for the company who brought us the S2K, 3G TL, 1G TSX, the EM1 Civic Si, the Prelude, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The TLX is boring garbage.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You can't really say "make them lighter" then say "add hybrid studd to them" too. And Acuras are overpriced as is.

I meant relatively. Instead of simply adding X pounds for the hybrid system try to remove some to minimize the overall weight. With hybrid electric do-dads its inherently going to be heavy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The TLX is boring garbage.

Did they ever sell the TLX with the 6-speed and AWD or was that only ever the TL?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Did they ever sell the TLX with the 6-speed and AWD or was that only ever the TL?

That was just the 4G TL.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kimcicle posted:

If there are any 2 year old K900s on the market for $20k then sure. I think the sheer number of them not selling will be the biggest hurdle in getting into one. The used 2015 K900 models popping up around me still market for around $35k. For that kind of money you can get into a 3 year old E Class instead.

So what your saying is that one 3 year old $60k car depreciated similarly to another 3 year old $60k

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I see lots of Ford Fusions and Edges out there and that chrome slab grille they had just looks so awful.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Chrome in general looks lovely on modern car designs, it ends up just looking like cheap stick on tat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The problem is that old people, you know, the people who buy new cars, still equate chrome with class.

Boomers get a lot of poo poo for the damage they've done to younger generations and the enviroment and the economy, but really, they're all terrible and the sooner they're off the planet the better.