Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I did see that they stopped at $800 before dragging him off. Does United stop that low? On Delta I would have expected them to go up to at least $1,200 before even thinking about an IDB. Especially since they hosed up by boarding him rather than pro-actively keeping him in the gate area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
They are dumb if they do. I've seen $1,200 to $1,500 for Delta before, but normally its around $600-$800. And yeah, if they scanned that guy's BP and let him get on the plane, they hosed up big time.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How does it escalate to that? I am not involved with the airline industry, but even I see that calling the cops to remove someone that boarded the plane and forcibly removing them in the age of social media is a bad idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJCobol posted:

They are dumb if they do. I've seen $1,200 to $1,500 for Delta before, but normally its around $600-$800. And yeah, if they scanned that guy's BP and let him get on the plane, they hosed up big time.

I get that, but at the same time he obviously refused a lawful instruction from the crew, and then refused a lawful order from police. This isn't going to end well for anyone.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

I get that, but at the same time he obviously refused a lawful instruction from the crew, and then refused a lawful order from police. This isn't going to end well for anyone.

I think it will probably work out more badly for United than it does for the guy who was thrown off (and then back on) the plane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

yeah i can actually tell you that it will end much, much worse for United Airlines.

Just when you thought UAL couldn't get shittier...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

First rule of United fight club: Don't talk about United fight club

e: More detailed story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tered-and-limp/

quote:

An airline supervisor walked onto the plane and brusquely announced: “We have United employees that need to fly to Louisville tonight. … This flight’s not leaving until four people get off.”

air- fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 10, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Noctone posted:

The sneakingly egregious part of it is that it's being reported as an overbooked flight but actually they were bumping people to make way for their own employees.

Did you have a cite for this? I'd be really curious to see this part highlighted.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That guy got to get back on the plane and will now sue the poo poo out of United, plus all the bad press. It only ends bad for United. And bully for that, because gently caress United, forever and ever and ever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJCobol posted:

That guy got to get back on the plane and will now sue the poo poo out of United, plus all the bad press. It only ends bad for United. And bully for that, because gently caress United, forever and ever and ever.

I'm not trying to defend them (United) or anything, but the situation shouldn't have escalated that far - that's on the passenger. I can't imagine digging in so hard that I get literally dragged off of a plane by cops.

Yes, of course it ends more poorly for United in any scenario because - well, we're talking about it. It's public and people already hate airlines. But don't be surprised if this guy has future TSA problems.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Next time I travel I'm bringing handcuffs to chain myself to my seat just in case I really need to make my connection

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm surprised nobody volunteered for eight hundred bones. It's less than a five hour drive, one-way rental costs less than a hundred bucks all in.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I'm not trying to defend them (United) or anything, but the situation shouldn't have escalated that far - that's on the passenger. I can't imagine digging in so hard that I get literally dragged off of a plane by cops.

Yes, of course it ends more poorly for United in any scenario because - well, we're talking about it. It's public and people already hate airlines. But don't be surprised if this guy has future TSA problems.

Pretty sure the dude got dragged off after bumping his head and getting knocked unconscious.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

DJCobol posted:

What exactly is he going to sue United for? They asked him to leave the plane as they a lawfully entitled to do and when he refused they called security at which point I don't think they're responsible anymore. Not to say that the whole thing isn't idiotic on Uniteds part but I'm just not seeing what he sues for unless United settles purely to avoid bad press.

Edit: I think the part I'm confused on is how United is at all responsible for airport security manhandling the dude. That seems like it should be on the airport.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've never heard of someone being bumped after boarding, which is probably why you don't see more of these videos around.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

smackfu posted:

I've never heard of someone being bumped after boarding, which is probably why you don't see more of these videos around.

I've been paged before after boarding to get bumped.

It usually doesn't happen because people who get bumped don't generally have confirmed seat assignments. In my case, I volunteered. (For $800 on Delta.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm surprised nobody volunteered for eight hundred bones. It's less than a five hour drive, one-way rental costs less than a hundred bucks all in.

On airlines other than Delta, it's usually airline credit for volunteers, which many people rightfully feel is completely useless. Also, for involuntary denied boarding, it's supposed to be hard cash. The gate agent may have not been doing things correctly with the current laws.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Alright so I offered to give up my seat for $200 for a flight that was an hour later and now I feel like a sucker for going that low. They ultimately didn't need me so I still got home on time but now i want to know what the rule of thumb is for setting that price

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

It's a very YMMV situation. Delta is obviously more generous than other carriers. And there is also significant discretion for the gate agents as well. If you have elite status, make sure to tell them (but do it gracefully) to try to get your volunteer bid prioritized over others, if there's multiple volunteers. Sometimes, they will just assume their frequent fliers will not want to be bumped (since it's seen as a bad thing). Sometimes they'll just give you the max amount, sometimes they will auction. It all really depends. If a flight is near departure or delayed, they're not going to waste time doing the bidding process. They also have discretion over hotel shuttles, roundtrip transportation, and meal vouchers.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Because of what I feel like my time is worth, I've never surrendered to one of these.

I would take the offer when you feel like it's worth it, to you.

Hilariously, UAL is up like $2 since this news broke.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I never get good offers when I can actually take them. United offered me like $600 or maybe even $800 for one of my flights a couple of months ago but (a) it was 100% necessary to get back that day before a certain time and (b) I'll be hosed if I'm spending one second longer than I have to in the garbage dump that calls itself Reno.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

Are you talking about the new Premium Economy on AA's Dreamliners from DFW? That's only free for elites for a limited time, currently coded as Main Cabin Extra seats. they very well intend to start selling them as a separate product!

Yeah, on a 787. Technically they have already started selling this.

Turns out the recline kind of sucks. Disappointed with that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smackfu posted:

I've taken VDBs after boarding for weight/balance or runway restrictions. But never seen an IDB after boarding.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Motronic posted:

I can totally see somebody getting pissed off to that point after interaction with a power tripping gate agent who needlessly escalated things. I've seen lots of interactions with airport personnel where the actions of the TSA/Gate Agent/whatever needlessly took what should have been a straightforward interaction to the verge of somebody getting arrested.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

asur posted:

What exactly is he going to sue United for? They asked him to leave the plane as they a lawfully entitled to do and when he refused they called security at which point I don't think they're responsible anymore. Not to say that the whole thing isn't idiotic on Uniteds part but I'm just not seeing what he sues for unless United settles purely to avoid bad press.

Edit: I think the part I'm confused on is how United is at all responsible for airport security manhandling the dude. That seems like it should be on the airport.

United escalated the situation by (1) calling in the cops to intimidate and enforce removal and (2) telling the cops he was a disruptive passenger. When in fact he was a guy who paid for his flight and was already seated, ready to board. If you think it's humane for an airline to operate in such a way where they can arbitrarily tell you you are trespassing on their plane (and forcibly remove you from their plane) despite following all of their rules, that's crazy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry that's not how any of this works.

Contract of carriage says you can be involuntary bumped. Federal law says to comply with all air crew.

United messed up by letting the guy board when seats were needed. The rest is on police and the guy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

If you think it's humane for an airline to operate in such a way where they can arbitrarily tell you you are trespassing on their plane (and forcibly remove you from their plane) despite following all of their rules, that's crazy.

Welcome to federal law.

Again, not saying this was the right thing for United to do, but this guy can now have some legal problems that potentially United won't even be able to help him with.

I'm also not judging whether the law is correct or not, I'm making a statement of fact on what they are: he was given multiple lawful orders to get off the plane and didn't. A sane business would have found a better way to deal with it, a sane passenger wouldn't have allowed it to go that far.

Edit.....what sellouts said up above this.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm surprised they couldn't find one more person to take $800 + free hotel to fly the next day.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with UAL but this might make me jump ship.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I mean technically United could have an air marshal hog tie you and lock you in the bathroom if you unbuckle your seat belt when the fasten seat belt light is on.

If you have United status it's probably worth sending them an email or a letter. I feel like a bit of pressure would make them change their policy.

If everyone just shrugs I could see the day where this happens and we are all in this thread posting "I'm surprised no one took the $50 Chile's Too voucher and the 2 packs of airline peanuts"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I mean technically United could have an air marshal hog tie you and lock you in the bathroom if you unbuckle your seat belt when the fasten seat belt light is on.

Do you really not see the massive gap between between your ridiculous hypothetical and being lawfully ordered to leave a plane that is still sitting at the terminal?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can have a reservation at a restaurant, and the restaurant can legally cancel that reservation while you are waiting to be seated, and then say you are trespassing and call the police and have you forcibly removed and arrested if you don't leave.

But that doesn't mean that's a very smart thing for the restaurant to do if they want customers to come back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

You can have a reservation at a restaurant, and the restaurant can legally cancel that reservation while you are waiting to be seated, and then say you are trespassing and call the police and have you forcibly removed and arrested if you don't leave.

But that doesn't mean that's a very smart thing for the restaurant to do if they want customers to come back.

Has a single person argued that?

(checks thread) Nope.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I can see United being held culpable if a lawyer can make a good argument that their rash escalation of the situation led to events spiraling out of control. And pretty much everyone hates airlines with a burning passion, so it won't be hard to find a sympathetic jury.

At the very least I would expect the police that bashed his loving head in to pay a pretty hefty settlement. Excessive use of force is kind of A Thing.

It's legal for airlines to boot people off the plane for no reason and it's legal for police to use force but they don't have carte blanche.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Guys, the flight was not oversold. While airlines do have the right to refuse transport to any passenger, there has to be a good reason. Making room for employees is not one of them.

Unfortunately United is taking its sweet time to gather or disclose any actual facts..

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Noctone posted:

I can see United being held culpable if a lawyer can make a good argument that their rash escalation of the situation led to events spiraling out of control. And pretty much everyone hates airlines with a burning passion, so it won't be hard to find a sympathetic jury.

At the very least I would expect the police that bashed his loving head in to pay a pretty hefty settlement. Excessive use of force is kind of A Thing.

It's legal for airlines to boot people off the plane for no reason and it's legal for police to use force but they don't have carte blanche.

See sellout's post above:

sellouts posted:

Sorry that's not how any of this works.

Contract of carriage says you can be involuntary bumped. Federal law says to comply with all air crew.

United messed up by letting the guy board when seats were needed. The rest is on police and the guy.

This is the truest and simplest explanation. That said, from the video is does look like the police went a bit nuts. I hear that the officer is on suspension now, but that is not confirmed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

United, the passenger, the cops, and Richard Nixon are all winners in this situation.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

Guys, the flight was not oversold. While airlines do have the right to refuse transport to any passenger, there has to be a good reason. Making room for employees is not one of them.

Unfortunately United is taking its sweet time to gather or disclose any actual facts..

What world are you living in? It absolutely is within their right per the Contract of Carriage to bump a paying passenger to ferry employees or for any reason at all, honestly. My understanding is that the employee involved in this case was required for the return flight on that aircraft. Had they flown without that employee, the airplane would not have been able to return from the outstation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Mackieman posted:

See sellout's post above:

This is the truest and simplest explanation. That said, from the video is does look like the police went a bit nuts. I hear that the officer is on suspension now, but that is not confirmed.

How does that negate what I said? Like, my post specifically takes that into account.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Noctone posted:

How does that negate what I said? Like, my post specifically takes that into account.

I was talking about the idea of a lawyer having a case; I believe the CoC makes it such that an attempt to bring a suit would never make it to a jury.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
He wasn't holding up his end of the social contract so he had to be removed from the flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

What world are you living in? It absolutely is within their right per the Contract of Carriage to bump a paying passenger to ferry employees or for any reason at all, honestly. My understanding is that the employee involved in this case was required for the return flight on that aircraft. Had they flown without that employee, the airplane would not have been able to return from the outstation.

That makes sense. They can bump paying passengers, but they have to have grounds to do so. Ferrying deadheading employees is a good reason, yes. Airlines can't just start denying service to passengers arbitrarily, just like any business (gay wedding cake bakeries included).