Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

as Carl Beijer points out, no capitalist should have a problem with this; while an extreme result, this is just where rubber meets track on state protection of market principles. The customer freely entered into a contract that stipulated that he could be removed from the flight; he chose to remain trespassing on private property and the police did their job.

Is it monstrous?
Well...
:capitalism:

Someone else noted that since he was already boarded and the flight was not oversold, United might not have had a contractual right to boot him. Sure enough a couple of hours later a news story popped up where United clarified the flight was not overbooked. Which makes me wonder if their lawyers were watching their public statements for the inevitable lawsuit.

Flight crews have incredible latitude for refusing passengers, but it's possible they don't have the ability to kick a flyer just because an United employee needs that seat. Maybe the carriage contract is missing an Oxford comma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Krispy Kareem posted:

Someone else noted that since he was already boarded and the flight was not oversold, United might not have had a contractual right to boot him. Sure enough a couple of hours later a news story popped up where United clarified the flight was not overbooked. Which makes me wonder if their lawyers were watching their public statements for the inevitable lawsuit.

Flight crews have incredible latitude for refusing passengers, but it's possible they don't have the ability to kick a flyer just because an United employee needs that seat. Maybe the carriage contract is missing an Oxford comma.

United's CEO is currently going with the "The passenger was asked to leave during the process of boarding" line, because United's CoC appears to stipulate that you cannot bump a passenger after they have completed boarding.

Obviously the rub here is that United's CEO is implying that "sat down with your luggage on the plane, waiting to take off" is somehow "still in the process of boarding".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MikeCrotch posted:

United's CEO is currently going with the "The passenger was asked to leave during the process of boarding" line, because United's CoC appears to stipulate that you cannot bump a passenger after they have completed boarding.

Obviously the rub here is that United's CEO is implying that "sat down with your luggage on the plane, waiting to take off" is somehow "still in the process of boarding".

Probably because they say "the boarding process is complete" when they close the door.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Atlas Obscura had a neat article on how failed fast food chains manage second acts.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fast-food-failures

If you ever wondered what happened to Kenny Rogers' Roasters, it went Malaysian.

Subjunctive posted:

Probably because they say "the boarding process is complete" when they close the door.

Well thank goodness you can't kick the passenger off once the plane has departed.

You're probably right, but that's United definition of 'boarding' and a court could easily redefine that to being allowed a seat on the plane. Just because it's in a contract doesn't make it legal.

It's just political grandstanding, but Chris Christie is now talking about banning overbooking. That won't happen, but there's precedent for this kind of poo poo making new laws. The Passenger Bill of Rights only came about after a couple of airlines left flyers stuck on tarmacs for 8 hours. So it would be in United's best interests to drag this story from the news cycle as quickly as possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well thank goodness you can't kick the passenger off once the plane has departed.

You're probably right, but that's United definition of 'boarding' and a court could easily redefine that to being allowed a seat on the plane. Just because it's in a contract doesn't make it legal.

Oh, I don't think of it as legitimate, just that it's likely the definition they're trying to use. Surprised the CoC doesn't define "boarding", actually.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I don't think of it as legitimate, just that it's likely the definition they're trying to use. Surprised the CoC doesn't define "boarding", actually.

I heard on NPR yesterday that by law the airline is required to give you cash for a forced bumping, though they try to weasel out of this (if you voluntarily bump or accept the coupon offer, though, you're stuck with those). I don't know if would have changed the doctor's mind about getting off the plane when asked, I was just thinking that's good information for people to know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Would moving off when asked count as voluntary?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

No, that's the forced bump. Voluntary is when they ask for any passengers willing to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Subjunctive posted:

Probably. Though from now on I think that might be being looked at.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Once you're on the plane, wouldn't that also mean you can kiss your luggage goodbye for a day or two? Or would that be an issue you'd face even if you were stopped at the gates because of overbooking?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

davidspackage posted:

Once you're on the plane, wouldn't that also mean you can kiss your luggage goodbye for a day or two? Or would that be an issue you'd face even if you were stopped at the gates because of overbooking?

I think losing your luggage is an issue you face regardless of what happens

https://www.luggageforward.com/mishandled-baggage/

Oh look... virgin is at the bottom again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Your luggage should be waiting for you when you arrive the next day. But yeah, you're not seeing it for at least a day if not longer. If you get bumped at the gate you might get your bags off the plane, but that would require a level of customer service and dedication not consistent with overbooking in the first place.

There are rules against planes taking off where the flyer and the luggage aren't matched for obvious reasons. Those rules are null when it's an airline creating the disconnect.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Capitalism and reguation cannot coexist, it is inconsistent with these abstract principles!" - a modern 'philosopher' selling his book

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

girl pants posted:

I am completely terrified of flying so this is pretty much how I get through flights anyway. :haw:

With Lularoe being a lovely MLM that apparently sells leggings that tear like "wet toilet paper", how much longer do you guys think they're going to be around? Not much longer, I hope.
I hope so too. [url=https://gomiblog.com/forums/fashion-bloggers/lularoe-1/]This GOMI thread[/iurl] sums up my feelings about Lularoe. Mostly, "This is a ripoff of everyone" and "for gently caress's sake, dress like an adult!"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Meh. The "dress like an adult" battle was lost when people started wearing sweat pants everywhere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm really intrigued as to how bad the US flying experience is. I'm used to flying on Ryanair, which isn't exactly pleasant and you get the cattle car feeling when you are packed in, but it least it feels brusque and efficient as opposed to actively lovely like a lot of people are insinuating about US airlines.

It's actually not that bad like 99% of the time. I used to fly 100 times per year and have my luggage delayed maybe once and had a flight canceled for non-weather related reasons maybe once as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Air travel in the U.S. is fine. It's probably the best example of deregulation out there with flights being both cheaper and safer than when the government was in charge. It's just not fun. And most of that is because of poo poo on the ground. How airport security can be both draconian and lax at the same time boggles the mind.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Air travel in the U.S. is fine. It's probably the best example of deregulation out there with flights being both cheaper and safer than when the government was in charge. It's just not fun. And most of that is because of poo poo on the ground. How airport security can be both draconian and lax at the same time boggles the mind.

I made it through security wearing a jacket that had braid scissors for fishing. That includes the backscatter machine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I made it through security wearing a jacket that had braid scissors for fishing. That includes the backscatter machine.

I got my carry on randomly picked for a hand-search once. I could see into my bag over the TSA agent's shoulder and almost had a heart attack when I realized I had a big balisong knife in there from a camping trip the previous weekend. The TSA agent literally moved it out of the way in his search and didn't pay it any attention at all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Brought a pair of 8" shears through security once by accident, but they always catch the bottle of sunscreen.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A few years ago Homeland Security decided to test the TSA by trying to sneak explosives and weapons past the security checkpoints. Out of 70 tests, the TSA only stopped them 3 times.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Atlas Obscura had a neat article on how failed fast food chains manage second acts.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fast-food-failures

If you ever wondered what happened to Kenny Rogers' Roasters, it went Malaysian.

Thank goodness, something that isn't airplane chat.

I always liked Will Sasso for his Kenny Rogers impressions on MadTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRq88zMk3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if27InJBtEI

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BloodBag posted:

Thank goodness, something that isn't airplane chat.

I always liked Will Sasso for his Kenny Rogers impressions on MadTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRq88zMk3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if27InJBtEI

I always thought Will Sasso deserved a bit more success. :smith:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

I always thought Will Sasso deserved a bit more success. :smith:

There were like three to four comedians in the entire run of MadTV who deserved to have a career, and Will Sasso definitely was one of them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Everyone on that show was actually funny when they weren't on that awful show

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That show shat all over SNL simply because their skits were tight and short for the most part and didn't get by on celebrity names weekly. SNL is, and has been, great with a premise for a skit and then they realize they need to stretch this poo poo for about 3 minutes past when it stopped being funny. Very few old SNL bits bear the re-watching. And I'm going all the way back to the original cast when Dan Akyroyd was doing Fred Garvin: Male Prostitute. I have to say, the news with Colin Quinn was some of the most painfully unfunny poo poo I've ever suffered through.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

there wolf posted:

Brought a pair of 8" shears through security once by accident, but they always catch the bottle of sunscreen.
Well of course they need to catch the chemicals. What's someone gonna do, hijack the plane with box cutters?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Colin Quinn loving sucks.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I liked that show! :mad: It was way better than SNL was at the time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

McPhearson posted:

A few years ago Homeland Security decided to test the TSA by trying to sneak explosives and weapons past the security checkpoints. Out of 70 tests, the TSA only stopped them 3 times.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

http://www.satirewire.com/news/march02/screeners.shtml

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

whiteyfats posted:

I liked that show! :mad: It was way better than SNL was at the time.
That was back when I would watch SNL until a skit was stretched way past the point of being unfunny, switch channels to something else until the new channel had a commercial break, then switch back to SNL only to find out that the same sketch was still going.

At least when MadTV had something painfully unfunny, it was over in a minute or two, there were times when the SNL sketches were halfway to being some kind of Tim and Eric anticomedy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They can both be bad

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They can both be bad

Fight me irl

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BloodBag posted:

That show shat all over SNL simply because their skits were tight and short for the most part and didn't get by on celebrity names weekly. .
MadTV was great its first season or two, when they had poo poo like the BudFrogs or SpyvsSpy cartoons.

Once they got rid of the original cast they gravitated towards the same tired Serial Character bits like Swan or Stuart that had infested SNL during Molly Shannon's tenure.

Regardless, Colin Quinn can suck a dick. He's like a more boring hybrid of Adam Carolla and Mike Rowe.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Norm MacDonalds news was god tier.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

whiteyfats posted:

Fight me irl

What's your address bitch!!!!

I probably just don't like sketch comedy. I hate Tim and Eric, but like most of Eric's music videos

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
MadTV beat the poo poo out of SNL's nineties "we're still relevant here's a one-hit wonder you'll forget about in three weeks and Adam Sandler doing the same routine he's done in every movie he's ever done" garbage.

Also greatest musical guest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwO33oUawM8

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This entire argument is a waste of time because In Living Color was better than both of them.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

there wolf posted:

This entire argument is a waste of time because In Living Color was better than both of them.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

there wolf posted:

Without ILC, you wouldn't get John Leguizamo's House of Buggin'

Which was a transitional fossil of MadTV.

There was also the Chicano themed comedy of Culture Clash (which if you were lucky you would catch on a Saturday afternoon randomly), and the failed attempt to capture MTV's The State (The Edge??) Which aired once or twice on Saturday at like 11pm.